James Bree

goodymatt

2 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Could be useful to have him here on the right and KWP on the left. Maybe we’ll get back some balance. Would work in a 4231 or a 343 as well.

welcome and 🤞

KWP on the left means we lose all our balance, no matter how many runs he makes down the left before having to cut back inside. 

• Like 1

At least he makes the Saints Cheese XI.

Peter Stilton

James Brie - Monterey Jack Stephens - Jose Fonte Babybel - Olly Creamy Lancashire

Edam Lallana - Carlton Parmesan - Wensleydale Stephens - Dairylea Holmes

Ricotta Lambert - Gorgonzola Watson

Yeah, I ran out of steam at the mid point. Suggestions for improvements will always be considered.

Cheese. Sorry, cheers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

KWP on the left means we lose all our balance, no matter how many runs he makes down the left before having to cut back inside. 

Wasn’t a concern when we played KWP and Tino together.

At least we had two full backs who could get up and down and offer threat going forwards. With Salisu we don’t get that and become very one sided. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Kraken said:

At least he makes the Saints Cheese XI.

Peter Stilton

James Brie - Monterey Jack Stephens - Jose Fonte Babybel - Olly Creamy Lancashire

Edam Lallana - Carlton Parmesan - Wensleydale Stephens - Dairylea Holmes

Ricotta Lambert - Gorgonzola Watson

Yeah, I ran out of steam at the mid point. Suggestions for improvements will always be considered.

Cheese. Sorry, cheers.

Shame we didn’t get to the chap at Fulham first, then you would have something to put that lot on 

Tim……… Ream Crackers 

wheres my coat

After a shaky start in a team that wasn't setup right I thought Bree showed some glimpses of his quality, particularly on the ball where he seemed composed and also put a couple of nice crosses in, one of which Armstrong should have done much better with (sound familiar?)

Noticeable that he is bigger and stronger than our other full back options.

Sure he will start at the weekend in KWP's absence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dusic said:

After a shaky start in a team that wasn't setup right I thought Bree showed some glimpses of his quality, particularly on the ball where he seemed composed and also put a couple of nice crosses in, one of which Armstrong should have done much better with (sound familiar?)

Showed some glimpses that he could be a decent addition to the squad. 

40 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sure he will start at the weekend in KWP's absence.

Agreed, I'm writing off that first half. He looked more settled in a 4, advanced well and like you I was somewhat surprised by his on the ball quality - I wasn't expecting his touch to be that refined. The added height helps us defensively as well.

For 750k I don't think you could really ask for a better squad player, and if we're honest that's all he is.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, I'm writing off that first half. He looked more settled in a 4, advanced well and like you I was somewhat surprised by his on the ball quality - I wasn't expecting his touch to be that refined. The added height helps us defensively as well.

For 750k I don't think you could really ask for a better squad player, and if we're honest that's all he is.

Nathan doesn't think he is a squad player, else he wouldn't go straight into the team for what was the most important game of the season so far

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Interesting to see what happens to this guy now Jones has gone. I thought he did ok yesterday, certainly seen a lot worse than him recently, from players who cost a lot more money. 

Agreed I think he looks a handy, versatile addition as a squad player.  Playing more than we’d hope currently because Livramento is injured as is KWP.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Interesting to see what happens to this guy now Jones has gone. I thought he did ok yesterday, certainly seen a lot worse than him recently, from players who cost a lot more money. 

He's got a contract, a wage increase and can say he's played in the Premier League.

One look at the form table would have told him the likely outcome of this. Also, having worked with Jones previously would have given hints on how that approach would work.

As long as he's not alienated the others by being a teacher's pet, and no suggestion he has, then he can fight for his place. He find, if we go down, and sell others, he gets game time with us in the Championship.

There are still plenty of possible positive outcomes for him at the club, even as a squad player.

• Like 1

I've been quite impressed with him tbh. Bigger, faster and just a lot better than I expected. I'd prefer him at RB than Lyanco or AMN. If anything, this lad is the only positive to have come from Jones tenure here. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I thought he wasn't the worst on the pitch TBH. Raced up and down the flank to defend and overlap and can obviously win challenges in the air and on the deck. Agree that he needs to be coached on delivery into the box and one-touch passing but a good backup at least.

• Like 2

He is what he is. An upper level Championship player, which means he can play a bit. In a bottom of the table EPL side, he looks okay. Not terrible, not spectacular either. There a probably a couple of dozen of players in the Championship that would also look okay in our side at the moment. Fine as a back up to end of the season for KWP, but if we were to stay up I would expect his minutes to be pretty limited next season.

I don't think Jones has helped his cause here by making him an instant starter straight away. Especially when it meant shoving KWP over to the left to accommodate him. I think most fans didn't mind KWP playing on the left to so we could fit in a super talented player in Tino, but he shouldn't be shoved out to accommodate Bree. 

So if we stay up, I expect Bree to help out enough when KWP is out and then probably be phased out next season. And if we go down, he will be useful in the Championship. It's not really a terrible signing for the price. It's just okay. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I don't think Jones has helped his cause here by making him an instant starter straight away. Especially when it meant shoving KWP over to the left to accommodate him. I think most fans didn't mind KWP playing on the left to so we could fit in a super talented player in Tino, but he shouldn't be shoved out to accommodate Bree.

I don't think Jones rated Perraud or his "outcomes."With KWP happy enough on the left, and Jones desperate to instill his style, Bree offered a known quantity on the right.

I can see his thinking, although I don't agree with it.

Has looked reasonable after being in the deep end of his former manager’s tactical brain fart at Newcastle. Has been in the Championship team of the year before hasn’t he? We’re in the Championship next season and KWP will be off in the summer so that’s RB sorted.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Personally far from convinced that Bree is a starting XI quality player for us in this system.

Assuming KWP and Livramento go, I think we should be bringing in someone better than Bree.

His only particularly successful time has been in a Nathan Jones Luton team playing a total different style to what we now play, and I havent seen anything to really make me think he is anything other than pretty average.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Assuming KWP and Livramento go, I think we should be bringing in someone better than Bree.

Wasn't there a rumour recently that we were interested in Aarons from Norwich? Maybe he is on the list of 'targets who are prepared to wait' as the replacement for KWP & Tino.

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Personally far from convinced that Bree is a starting XI quality player for us in this system.

His only particularly successful time has been in a Nathan Jones Luton team playing a total different style to what we now play, and I havent seen anything to really make me think he is anything other than pretty average.

Often I find myself agreeing with your observations and James Bree is a case in point. Another invisible showing from him last night suggests that he has little to no future here and being subbed off at HT when most were not more or less confirms that Martin & Co have much the same feelings about him. Poor lad came here at exactly the wrong time and it would be kinder all round to release him from his contract and let him leave on a free to find a new home and new start. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I've been saying for a while that bree should only be back up as the things that suited him at Jones' luton aren't a fit for how we want to play.

Would be pathetic if we  let both KWP and Livramento go. If there's any intention of getting promoted we shouldn't be gutting a position of strength.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I've been saying for a while that bree should only be back up as the things that suited him at Jones' luton aren't a fit for how we want to play.

Would be pathetic if we  let both KWP and Livramento go. If there's any intention of getting promoted we shouldn't be gutting a position of strength.

We could easily end up in a situation (either through sales or injuries) where bree becomes a long term starter for us this year. Which would be very bad for our promotion prospects based on what i've seen. We categorically need to get one more RB in if either KWP/Tino leave.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We could easily end up in a situation (either through sales or injuries) where bree becomes a long term starter for us this year. Which would be very bad for our promotion prospects based on what i've seen. We categorically need to get one more RB in if either KWP/Tino leave.

Totally agree with that. He is not close to what we need for our ambitions.

• Like 1

What continues to surprise me is his inability to put in a decent cross. He was well revered when at Luton, playing in their direct football approach. However, every time I watch him try to cross it, it bobbles into the box or goes flying. Is it just me?

• Like 1