James Bree

goodymatt

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

What continues to surprise me is his inability to put in a decent cross. He was well revered when at Luton, playing in their direct football approach. However, every time I watch him try to cross it, it bobbles into the box or goes flying. Is it just me?

Yup, he had a golden opportunity first half vs Bournemouth and shot it flat across the ground at the defender sliding in - had the time and space to either turn or lift it over him. He's struck me as very weak positionally and he seems to be never near his man or able to close them down / catch them. Also seems to be extremely timid in an attacking sense with limited forward passing and doesn't really take anyone on. Not sure what he adds to be honest, like playing with 10men.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We could easily end up in a situation (either through sales or injuries) where bree becomes a long term starter for us this year. Which would be very bad for our promotion prospects based on what i've seen. We categorically need to get one more RB in if either KWP/Tino leave.

If one of Tino or KWP leave then the other will be first choice with Bree as back up, Bree is a proven, experienced championship level right back. Can you please confirm what sort of level player we should be having as second choice at right back if that isn't good enough for you.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If one of Tino or KWP leave then the other will be first choice with Bree as back up, Bree is a proven, experienced championship level right back. Can you please confirm what sort of level player we should be having as second choice at right back if that isn't good enough for you.

I’m happy with Bree as a back up, given he’s supposedly a capable Championship RB. Would just like to see him put in a performance in a saints shirt! First choice, not confident he’s good enough in our possession based style.

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

not saying you are right or wrong but Bree shone in a Nathan Jones team which as we now know play dogshit football - RM plays a completely different style of footy and from what Ive seen of Bree in preseason hasnt exactly stood out in this style

• 3 months later...

Think this thread deserves a bump. Very impressed with Bree today, thought he hardly put a foot wrong and if he keeps this up it'll be hard to leave him out of the team. Well done to the lad who has had to wait his chance but is now showing what he can do.

• Like 12

I'm pleased he's getting his chance. It's been a bit of a train wreck of a move, coming in as Jones' pick, and plummeting down the pecking order as that went pear shaped. Gives us a bit of not just competition there, with Larios' injury, but some much needed experience getting first team minutes in the squad too. With suspensions/ injuries people will get their chances. Martin and Bree have shown that if you get your chance and do well, others are going to have to step up to move you out the team.

• Like 3

Happy for the bloke, he came into us via the Welsh wonder but the bloke has never let us down, seems to have a good attitude and over the last 2 weeks he's been good in that unfamiliar left back position. Can't be a coincidence that there seems to be less attacks down that side. 

Also talked about it before but he seems taller than Manning even tho he apparently isn't and is a defender who can attack rather than Manning who just wants to attack and defend a bit.

Hopefully he retains his place he deserves it merit 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Him being in the team is what is allowing KWP to bomb forward so much as we essentially shift to a back 3. 

Yep, Bree barely got forward but we didn't need him to. It all goes through KWP.

In terms of defending, it's quite clear that he's better than Manning in that respect.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep, Bree barely got forward but we didn't need him to. It all goes through KWP.

In terms of defending, it's quite clear that he's better than Manning in that respect.

I like how he puts defending first, and attacking second, but that's not to say that he doesn't get forward. We're so much more solid down the left with him there. 

• Like 3

Fitted in well. Defended first which we need and secondly didn't try and get in front of Sulemana which gave him room to run the full back and resulted in him laying on the second goal. Being right footed he wasn't continually turning right onto his left foot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Happy for the bloke, he came into us via the Welsh wonder but the bloke has never let us down, seems to have a good attitude and over the last 2 weeks he's been good in that unfamiliar left back position. Can't be a coincidence that there seems to be less attacks down that side. 

Also talked about it before but he seems taller than Manning even tho he apparently isn't and is a defender who can attack rather than Manning who just wants to attack and defend a bit.

Hopefully he retains his place he deserves it merit 

That height difference surprised me. He looks several feet taller but is actually 1.78m against 1.80m for Manning. This is nothing. I’m 1.75m myself.

I like him. He has a proper footballer’s stature.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...