Ruben Selles

Dusic

On 24/02/2023 at 10:43, trousers said:

Would a "clueless" person admit they made a mistake and try to make amends or stick with their bad decision regardless...? ;) 

He has admitted nothing he would have stuck with Jones till the bitter end had it not been for senior player concerns/unrest 

6 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

So according the The Athletic this morning a World Cup knockout stage manager sent their 30 page CV to the club this week. Wonder who that was, probsbly only 1 of 5 or 6 it’s likely to have been tbh. 

Was it a Mr N R G Jones, of no fixed formation? A thirty page CV sounds like the most comprehensive in Europe, if not the World. 

Well, the new manager bounce lasted longer than Jones'. 

And now we're back to being shocking.

There's no fixing this rabble. It's fundamentally flawed: a keeper who can't make saves, defenders who can't defend, creative players who can't create, and strikers who can't score. 

Throw in a number of pea hearts when the going gets tough and there's not a lot there to feel positive about. 

If Selles keeps us even close to staying up he'll have performed a miracle. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Well, the new manager bounce lasted longer than Jones'. 

And now we're back to being shocking.

There's no fixing this rabble. It's fundamentally flawed: a keeper who can't make saves, defenders who can't defend, creative players who can't create, and strikers who can't score. 

Throw in a number of pea hearts when the going gets tough and there's not a lot there to feel positive about. 

If Selles keeps us even close to staying up he'll have performed a miracle. 

Maybe now it’s time for the players to take the flack .

7 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

McCarthy, KWP, ABK, Salisu/DCC, Perraud, Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana, S.Armstrong, Onuachu.

It really isn't that complicated

Stuart Armstrong is not even worth a place on the bench and McCarthy is garbage.  Armstrong has been terrible for 18-24 months.

But then so has pretty much the whole team.

Not convinced Selles is the answer - but noone could get a tune out of these charlatans

8 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

McCarthy, KWP, ABK, Salisu/DCC, Perraud, Lavia, JWP, Alcaraz, Sulemana, S.Armstrong, Onuachu.

What makes you think that XI can win games, though? That back line and keeper have shipped goals for fun in the past, that midfield has created fuck all in the past, and we've so far got nothing whatsoever out of Sulemana and Onuachu - I can't even recall the big lump getting a shot away yet in his Saints career. Looks extremely limited.

We've spent a lot of money assembling not much.

• Like 2

Is it the consensus that he'll be given the job of rebuilding in the championship or is he just keeping the seat warm?

Hate to say it, but SR probably need to answer this one soon.

If the former then he can use the rest of the season to experiment, work out who to keep, who to sell (I.e avoid a Livramento type injury to Lavia) and start the prep.

If the latter, then he'll be just as demotivated as the rest of them and will be spending most of his time looking for his next job. 

For me he’s not the answer. Forget the Chelsea result, today said everything we need to know about RS. We had to win but we didn’t and we never laid a glove on them. Instead we looked at the safe options and as usual came unstuck with a hapless mistake. I’d have been happier if we’d lost 5-3 but gave it a bloody go!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Is it the consensus that he'll be given the job of rebuilding in the championship or is he just keeping the seat warm?

Hate to say it, but SR probably need to answer this one soon.

If the former then he can use the rest of the season to experiment, work out who to keep, who to sell (I.e avoid a Livramento type injury to Lavia) and start the prep.

If the latter, then he'll be just as demotivated as the rest of them and will be spending most of his time looking for his next job. 

Well, they didn't want to commit to Marsch beyond the end of the season so it's pretty obvious that the club will assess things in the summer.

SR don't need to "answer anything soon". Let's see where we are in the summer, just like pretty much every other relegated club since the dawn of time.

Honestly if your view of Selles is that he won't even try because he hasn't got a long term commitment then we wouldn’t actually want him to stay would we? 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

If the question is "why are we getting relegated", then that's a pretty good answer.

2 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Fluke win vs Chelsea. 

My message to my depressed Leeds supporting mate last week just after we beat Chelsea and they'd lost to Everton:

"We got lucky today. If there's anyone I'd want to play in the league it would still be Saints."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Just cannot understand why you would start by playing the same format and most of the same players that failed doing it for a year under Ralph, surely you would expect the same results.

To be fair, that team earned the right to start after their performance and result against Chelsea. They’ve since lost that right, they were all below par today, to a man. The FA cup game will see lots of rotation, Selles even mentioned that there’s a possibility all eleven could potentially change. After that it’s a clean slate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

What makes you think that XI can win games, though? That back line and keeper have shipped goals for fun in the past, that midfield has created fuck all in the past, and we've so far got nothing whatsoever out of Sulemana and Onuachu - I can't even recall the big lump getting a shot away yet in his Saints career. Looks extremely limited.

We've spent a lot of money assembling not much.

‘We’ve spent a lot of money assembling not much’………….out of interest have you copied and pasted that from a 2022, 2021 or 2020 post?!!

17 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

To be fair, that team earned the right to start after their performance and result against Chelsea. They’ve since lost that right, they were all below par today, to a man. The FA cup game will see lots of rotation, Selles even mentioned that there’s a possibility all eleven could potentially change. After that it’s a clean slate.

Unfortunately though, only for one game, then the useless fuckers resume their previous positions after a bit of a rest.

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Not sure I share your faith. I think win lose our draw today most of the team would have changed for Grimsby. I also think he will revert to similar for Leicester, my issue is that I think this squad has proved they are not suited to that formation, so you need to pick a formation to suit what you have.

For the record I think keeping the manager till the end of the season was the only sensible option, just think he need to move away from trying to out Ralph Ralph.

He looked clueless today, let's be honest.

I understand why he chose that starting lineup, but it was wrong. The subs had zero impact, and if anything it just hammered home the fact that we now rely on Walcott to get us back into games.

I wonder if he will shuffle the pack for the cup game, if he sticks with the same old faces then it might start to look a little problematic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

I wonder if he will shuffle the pack for the cup game, if he sticks with the same old faces then it might start to look a little problematic.

He will, check out the bbc interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64731017

He says there will definitely be some rotation, he even hints that he could rotate all eleven. But it seems pretty certain there will be a high number of changes.

57 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

My message to my depressed Leeds supporting mate last week just after we beat Chelsea and they'd lost to Everton:

"We got lucky today. If there's anyone I'd want to play in the league it would still be Saints."

You gave away classified intel to the enemy, this defeat is on you buddy 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Onuachu…. A poor man’s Peter Crouch and our new Carillo?

I saw him pick out the likely outcome of one of our very rare attacks. He moved down towards the back post, as there was a clear pass to someone free to cross it over. Instead of taking that pass, we passed it across and he jogged back up the park.

Once we start providing our forwards with a number of chances in any game, we'll be in a better position to find out how useful they are. 🙂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Not sure I share your faith. I think win lose our draw today most of the team would have changed for Grimsby. I also think he will revert to similar for Leicester, my issue is that I think this squad has proved they are not suited to that formation, so you need to pick a formation to suit what you have.

For the record I think keeping the manager till the end of the season was the only sensible option, just think he need to move away from trying to out Ralph Ralph.

I definitely think the Fa cup game would’ve been used to rotate. I’ll keep my powder dry on what Selles has got planned long term. Against Chelsea he only had what, a day or two to prepare in training? So he went with a formation some of the players know. After the win I’m not going to blame him for going with the same today. If we line up like that against Leicester then, yeah, it’s not great. I’d like to think he’s a bit more progressive than that, he is new enough at SFC to not be wedded to the 4-2-2-2. We shall see, I certainly think it’s not our best shape and we need a solid midfield 3. 

• Like 1

Standard jekyll and hyde responses on here. Last week he was our own Pep, this week hes suddenly clueless. For me hes somewhere in the middle but needs more games before we can give a fair assessment. I certainly dont envy him trying to get a turn out of this bunch of frauds (JWP, KWP and Lavia aside)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Leeds did the right thing appointing a manager that can go in with no friends buddies or relationships. 

He has  gone in to dictate and play football and do a job. I think they will ultimately be ok.

We on the other hand have just gone back to a someone that is everyone’s best friend and all mates together. 

Cant help thinking it’s another Ole at Man U, Lamps at Chelsea, ect ect. 

Beer and skittles boys club. I’m sorry but we had to make an appointment that the players know there is a clear distinction between manager and player. 

Nothing wrong with Selles, fantastic coach. But that’s the point, a fantastic coach. 

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

Leeds did the right thing appointing a manager that can go in with no friends buddies or relationships. 

He has  gone in to dictate and play football and do a job. I think they will ultimately be ok.

We on the other hand have just gone back to a someone that is everyone’s best friend and all mates together. 

Cant help thinking it’s another Ole at Man U, Lamps at Chelsea, ect ect. 

Beer and skittles boys club. I’m sorry but we had to make an appointment that the players know there is a clear distinction between manager and player. 

Nothing wrong with Selles, fantastic coach. But that’s the point, a fantastic coach. 

Lets not rewrite things here, Leeds were awful too. It wasn't a game where either team could win it, but it was certainly a game where either team could have lost it. 

• Like 1

Clearly, it’s still possible to stay up…but ominously we have all the hallmarks of a relegation club:

Bloated squad of mostly low quality nobodies, many impulsively and panic bought.

Accelerated cycling through managers.

Lightweight vanity merchants at executive level. 

No on-field identity, coherence, or resolve. Collapse at the first sign of adversity.

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 3

By appointing till the end of the season Selles our crap owners / board are taking no more of a gamble then by appointing any other manager their crazy minds could think of.

However lets not forget that Selles came in the summer with a load of other coaches to help improve us - that has not happend.

We can re asses in the summer and hopefully by then board may surprise us and appoint a manager that could lead a play-off push next season. 

39 minutes ago, IFHP said:

By appointing till the end of the season Selles our crap owners / board are taking no more of a gamble then by appointing any other manager their crazy minds could think of.

However lets not forget that Selles came in the summer with a load of other coaches to help improve us - that has not happend.

We can re asses in the summer and hopefully by then board may surprise us and appoint a manager that could lead a play-off push next season. 

Agree, I found some of the excitement and hype around Selles over the last week a bit odd, yes the Chelsea result was good and maybe our fans were desperate to like someone after the Jones debacle but ultimately Selles doesn't have management experience and has been prominent member of coaching team during terrible runs with Ralph and Jones. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles