Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id probably only drop Ely, Id even keep Bednarek in the 11 who I thought was excellent today

AMN did very little wrong either

Keep the same tactics, swap Ely for Edozie and potentially AMN for KWP thats it for me

Positive momentum is what we need here

Keep it the same. Too many managers change a winning team. 

• Like 1

We've been here before, winning a game we've not been expected to win and then blowing up in the game which you'd expect us to have more of a chance in.

I'm with others in the belief that you don't change a winning team, keep that 11 the same for me. One of the important points to note from Selles pre-match pressers was that he wants to build continuity and establish partnerships, obviously fully aware that we have chopped and changed way too much this year.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id probably only drop Ely, Id even keep Bednarek in the 11 who I thought was excellent today

AMN did very little wrong either

Keep the same tactics, swap Ely for Edozie and potentially AMN for KWP thats it for me

Positive momentum is what we need here

Interesting change back to 4-2-2-2 today. Not sure which of our players can successfully play the narrow #10 role, hench why Ely played.  Edozie is better playing wider IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Interesting change back to 4-2-2-2 today. Not sure which of our players can successfully play the narrow #10 role, hench why Ely played.  Edozie is better playing wider IMO.

Orsic, Sulemana, Stu Armstrong, Aribo, Ely can probably all play there

Be interesting to see if Charly could too considering its not all about pace but ability to hold, win, shift the ball in tight half spaces

Edozie has enough about him I think, maybe Aribo can be convinced to out a shift in, Ely just isn’t good enough in the final third for me

• Like 1

I think people will use the "don't change a winning side" stick here, and whilst I completely understand the idea, you should still fine-tune little things where possible and necessary. Elyounoussi, Bednarek and AMN are the three players whose spot is debatable.

Elyounoussi was terrible yet again in possession, and this is not a game where his defensive work rate should be needed. It's beyond laughable how bad he is offensively, every single week. I'd hope for either Edozie or Alcaraz to start here, or even both if Stu isn't capable of two games in a row at the moment.

Bednarek had a good game, but he is quite literally a ticking time bomb. DCC doesn't seem any closer to being in favour so I'd bring Sali back in to have two very mobile CBs. I wouldn't be devastated with Bednarek starting, but I don't think I'll ever trust him.

AMN had a really weird game, solid on the whole but 3/4 moments where his lack of urgency put him in a spot of bother and he was lucky to get away with them. Two solid games on the bounce though and with KWP not getting any minutes from the bench, I could definitely see him being eased back in against Grimsby instead.

Bauznu
KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud
Lavia - JWP
Armstrong - Alcaraz
Sulemana - Onuachu

This would be my preferred lineup for this one, although I'd be more than happy to see Edozie start for a bit more added pace and directness. It's an absolute must win, or must not lose? I think probably a must win.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think people will use the "don't change a winning side" stick here, and whilst I completely understand the idea, you should still fine-tune little things where possible and necessary. Elyounoussi, Bednarek and AMN are the three players whose spot is debatable.

Elyounoussi was terrible yet again in possession, and this is not a game where his defensive work rate should be needed. It's beyond laughable how bad he is offensively, every single week. I'd hope for either Edozie or Alcaraz to start here, or even both if Stu isn't capable of two games in a row at the moment.

Bednarek had a good game, but he is quite literally a ticking time bomb. DCC doesn't seem any closer to being in favour so I'd bring Sali back in to have two very mobile CBs. I wouldn't be devastated with Bednarek starting, but I don't think I'll ever trust him.

AMN had a really weird game, solid on the whole but 3/4 moments where his lack of urgency put him in a spot of bother and he was lucky to get away with them. Two solid games on the bounce though and with KWP not getting any minutes from the bench, I could definitely see him being eased back in against Grimsby instead.

Bauznu
KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud
Lavia - JWP
Armstrong - Alcaraz
Sulemana - Onuachu

This would be my preferred lineup for this one, although I'd be more than happy to see Edozie start for a bit more added pace and directness. It's an absolute must win, or must not lose? I think probably a must win.

I like the look of that team and could see Alcaraz playing that role quite well.

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Big game. Need to get something from it. A point wouldn't be terrible, but another win would be absolutely massive.

Agree looking at the table it's massive, a Leeds fan I know seems very despondent at the moment and thinks they are going down (same as us really) whole shambles around manager recruitment seems to be an issue there, wonder if they'll appoint someone before we play? Could have an impact 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree looking at the table it's massive, a Leeds fan I know seems very despondent at the moment and thinks they are going down (same as us really) whole shambles around manager recruitment seems to be an issue there, wonder if they'll appoint someone before we play? Could have an impact 

Sad to say the most likely outcome is both of us go down.

• Like 2

They are 100% there for the taking if Skubala is still in charge.

Nothing against him, it’s just that their 1 game bounce has now worn off and if they don’t have a figurehead in place by then, I get the impression the atmosphere is pretty horrid and the uncertainty is compounding it.

And on the flip side, whist the title is interim, Ruben does look and act like our figurehead and for the first time this seasons, both players and fans seem united.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I get the don't change a winning side thing, but with Bednarek we all know it is just a matter of time before his next cock up and us wanting him dropped, so why not pre-empt that by replacing him with better players now. 

Only reason Bednerak started IMO was because Salisu had a knock. 

So Salisu x ABK at the back, With the return of the high press we need fast CBs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Only reason Bednerak started IMO was because Salisu had a knock. 

So Salisu x ABK at the back, With the return of the high press we need fast CBs.

Don't necessarily agree but I think he'll stick with Bednarek especially as we won yesterday and kept a clean sheet, I'd expect to see the same back four against Leeds.

Before Chelsea, Selles takes about how the best teams have a core of 7/8 players that play all the time, usually through the spine of the team. I think we could do that and make a couple of tweaks. 

Would like to see:

Bazunu 

KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud

JWP Lavia

Stu Sulemana 

Adams Onuachu

Not sure if Sulemana is disciplined enough defensively but feel we’d offer more threat, especially on the counter, than if Moi is in there. If Moi needs to play just take our Adams and play same front 4 as Chelsea but with that defence.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JRM said:

We've only taken the small allocation of tickets for this game,  lower tier about 1300 , will be hard to make ourselves heard 

Ridiculous in such a massive game tbf. Would absolutely love to go. 

It’s a must win for me, almost as big as the Swansea game where Gabbi kept us up. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JRM said:

My big fear as well (along with some of our players ability to self destruct).

Would come as no surprise if Leeds throw some money at a big name replacement even on a temporary contract. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen, at least not until after we’ve played them.

Half expect West Ham to replace Moyes as well this week, depending on today’s result perhaps. 

8 hours ago, JRM said:

There is an experienced Premier League manager that's newly available. Assuming that his injury playing in the Dorset League isn't a deal breaker. 

• Haha 2

I don't agree with not changing a winning team. You set up accordingly for the opposition. Not whole sale changes but Leeds aren't Chelsea, we don't need AMN at the back, we can put KWP and go more attacking. Same with Mo and Edozie. The rest I'd probably keep.

Edited by Saint_Ash
Attacking
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JRM said:

We've only taken the small allocation of tickets for this game,  lower tier about 1300 , will be hard to make ourselves heard 

How does this work? We've taken an allocation of just over 3,000 for Man U and that's all sold out. By the time Leeds tickets went on sale to non season ticket holders, the tickets available were restricted view. Surely we can ask for a larger allocation - like you say, a positive atmosphere helps the team.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JRM said:

Might just be upper, not sure but it's only one tier as far as I know,  half the allocation 

Can they get away with not giving us a percentage of pitchside seating this way? Thought they had to in the PL (unless you’re NUFC of course). Would think more likely they just move the divide further across.

Club probably had to make a decision soon after the Wolves defeat, fans had had enough so can’t blame them not chancing more tickets. Then we beat Chelsea…

Edited by alehouseboys
Added

If the club were to release more tickets (I don't think they can) then I would go. I was very close to taking one of the last few when we were about to appoint Jesse. Feel like this is the biggest game of the season so far and Im already getting nerves. 

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Leeds 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree   Yanny B     Lyanco   AMN

Walcott   Diallo   Moi    Djenepo

A Armstrong   Aribo

I'd also pack the bench with kids so that we can give them valuable experience once we're 4 or 5 up.

Never change a winning side eh? 😉

On 18/02/2023 at 20:56, Manuel said:

Anyone know what the deal is with KWP?  On the bench today.  Would prefer him to AMN.  

Low grade hamstring injury, it's usually 3-8 weeks for recovery, players tend to return after 3 weeks ish. Ideally, players should take longer, or it'll recur every season, this is kwps second hamstring injury. 

21 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Watching motd and thinking how we thought Hojberg wasn’t good enough for our team. He must laugh at our numpty fans.

Would you want him over JWP or Lavia? I know I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t take him over Romeu either (the version from a season or two back). He’s doing a very simple job well, for Spurs. 

• Like 1

If you told me last week we would be heading into this game in a better position as a club than them (not the table obviously) I would’ve laughed in your face.

We can win this, don’t think you can drop janny b after a good performance but I’d replace AMN with Bree if KWP isn’t available and get rid of Moi for anyone else.

Can’t really underestimate the importance of this next game…it’s huge. I don’t care how we win but win we must - one point would not be a failure, but of little use in our need to climb out the R zone. Psychologically a win will do wonders and set the team on a war footing for the (on paper) more difficult games. Both teams will be looking to employ the maximum level of shithousery and being at home, Leeds will have the advantage with their fans screaming for a card for every nudge.

Predicting how this one will go is almost impossible - anything could happen… heart says 0-2 Saints. Head says it’ll be a scrappy affair and they’ll get a break near the end 1-0 Leeds. If we get an early goal I think we’ll win. I hope Selles is all we need him to be and gets the squad in fighting mode again because it’s going to be a very hard game.

23 hours ago, JRM said:

Can’t fathom how the club took that allocation. We took 2,500 there in Championship FFS.

Surely a question for summer Fans Forum, as this isn’t the first time we’ve taken minimum allocation and sold it out in a blink. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic