Brighton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Pamplemousse

On 19/05/2023 at 16:46, Charlie Wayman said:

If we are to be brutally frank, it doesn't matter a fishes tit whether we win, lose or draw at Brighton or against the Scousers, it'll be totally meaningless. The sooner this miserable season is wound up and filed under Trash the better. What masochistic pleasure one will derive from travelling to Brighton to watch this bunch of cretins making complete arses of themselves is beyond me.

whilst I agree that the results are meaningless (Charlie W) it will be interesting to see just WHO will put in a really good performance...

(with a view to their future) ... or  will  just " go through the motions " because it's end of the season and they don't care a sh*t anyway.

Edited by david in sweden

30 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Just me that’s expecting a good performance today and potentially even a win as our disgraceful squad finally put some effort in because they want to impress any potential new clubs?  

I think your probably in a small minority here. If they couldn’t raise their games when survival was possible I can’t see them raising them today. And the other issue is they would probably have to ignore Selles completely if a good team performance. Picking up on your point, I could see some individuals putting in good performances. It also depends how interested Brighton are.

Ooh. McCarthy and Elynoussi. And theo. What joy. Is his brief to pick the shittest team we have? Selles is a total tool and good riddance. He can shop for rollneck sweaters at his leisure now. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, washsaint said:

OMG - I cannot believe that team.  WTF?

Has anyone told Selles we are relegated and can go for it now?

What a f***** disgrace that team is.

Think it could well be a case of two fingers up ✌️✌️✌️  at we fans as a departing shot from Selles. All our pet hates get to start, what's not to like!

Sorry beatlesaint, I didn't see your post before I wrote this. Great minds eh!? 

Edited by Charlie Wayman
apology
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

20230521_130039.jpg

Excellent. We've gone for the no striker approach that has served us so well during Selles' tenure. Will get battered and deserve to.

Edited by stknowle

Disgraceful team. And that holds true even if they win 3-0. WTF is the point of playing that side?

Selles has been an absolute joke. I can't quite believe I'm uttering these words, but we'd have more points if Jones had stayed in charge. Still relegated, still cringe-inducing press conferences, but more points. 

Sweepstake for when either Ballard or Doyle come on? I'm going for the 87th minute. 

Edited by LaptopSaint
  • Like 3

Tbf Brighton were absolute garbage the other night but they dont need to play well to beat us anyway. Big guns back as well so they will smash us especially given the diabolical line up Selles has gone with. 

He's must be sticking two fingers up at SR and the fans as he's clearly not bothered about giving fans some optimism for next season. Total joker. 

8 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Really cannot see the point of McCarthy in goal.

Think it’s best to have a GK.

You’re aware of the other options though ? But it was probably too little and too late to bring McCarthy back a week or so ago. 

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Ooh. McCarthy and Elynoussi. And theo. What joy. Is his brief to pick the shittest team we have? Selles is a total tool and good riddance. He can shop for rollneck sweaters at his leisure now. 

Do you think  Martin will be a more dapper sight on the touch line next season ? 

7 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

That is a shocking team. Good to see Tino on the bench. 

I’m not sure about Tino, I’d have been happy to let the rest of the football world forget he existed and keep him under wraps for next season. Unless the thought process is get him in the shop window to maximise our cash out?

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

As bad as that team is, there’s nobody missing from it who hasn’t been utterly dreadful for 95% of the season. I’m not sure what people mean when they say that now we’re relegated we can go for it and play with freedom etc. These are bad players with a bad manager, they aren’t going to suddenly turn in a performance just because they’ve been relegated.

• Like 3

I don't really give a tinker's toss what team the clown selects. At least six of the eleven shouldn't even be in the squad. Personally I'd have fired him not long after the Chelsea game. In football terms Selles is a total loser. He doesn't have a clue how to set up and motivate a team. If SR want to get relegated again keep him on. I'm not sure about Martin. Pep spends as much on one player as we do for a whole window. MC are unique, trying to play their way won't work. Copying Kompany makes more sense to me. At least Selles will be history in a week hopefully.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

As bad as that team is, there’s nobody missing from it who hasn’t been utterly dreadful for 95% of the season. I’m not sure what people mean when they say that now we’re relegated we can go for it and play with freedom etc. These are bad players with a bad manager, they aren’t going to suddenly turn in a performance just because they’ve been relegated.

Well let’s start with Ballard and let’s think about our worst player or if you disagree one of our very worst at best and the teachers pet Moi…. 
On what planet does Moi get picked ahead of Stuart Armstrong…. Or anybody come to that…

At least one of the good kids should start. The problem with Keeping Selles on is that he will persist with crackpot team selections and want to do things he thinks will enhance his own reputation rather than planning for next season when he will not be here.

Ultimately this all comes from the top though and it is effectively Ankerson picking the team… 

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 1

The tombola pulled out some interesting names today I see. Hopefully the young lads get a go off the bench.

Really don’t care today, in fact I’d go as far to say I hope Brighton win and qualify for Europe, they’ve had a cracking season and it’d be fun for their fans.

Looking at subs all listed in there I think that is almost likely to be the team we have available next season. Bree would be in there too.

think the starting lineup is basically a goodbye starting 11. Think all of them but Bree will leave.

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Be announced after the game that Elyounoussi has signed a new five year deal on the same terms 

Don't be silly.

He'll get a pay rise. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brighton 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic