Saints 4-4 Liverpool - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

50 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

I am sure if you take your passport and address ID to the ticket office they can issue you an entry ticket for your season ticket seat .

maybe a solution isnt welcomed lol

Yep it's quite easy - no excuse to miss the game! 

As we discreetly slip out of the Premier league on Sunday via the back door please spare a thought for the Liverpool players and fans who have had to endure the hardship of not qualifying for the champions league , they are bound to be quite upset so please offer them some  sympathy 

FB_IMG_1685095476016.thumb.jpg.14f3bdac9fe8e70ddb16e5cd7169f359.jpg

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

I am sure if you take your passport and address ID to the ticket office they can issue you an entry ticket for your season ticket seat .

maybe a solution isnt welcomed lol

That will take more effort and ingenuity than I've seen all season at SMS

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

I am in a similar position to others on here.

I bought tickets for me and my 3 children a while back (12, 10 & 5). We have been to quite a few away games this season, but I have yet to take them to St Marys

At the time of buying, I thought we would be relegated this season, but I also thought we would have put up a bit of a fight.

I'll be travelling down on the train form London, and as it stands, I just have no desire to goto to the game and make the journey down.

Need to make my mind up soon, as will need to buy the train tickets

This may helps to make your decision easier, engineering works on South West Trains from London to Basingstoke and Winchester this weekend 🤔🫤   

Like you I bought my ticket ages ago, hoping for a last ditch survival day like we used to have at the Dell. Should have known better.  I'll be going because if it takes 7 years to get back up to the Premiership like it did last time, bloody hell I'll be 76 by then and I might not be arsed to go any more at that great age 😒.  Actually I can only just about be arsed to go nowadays anyway 🫤

• Like 3

Good riddance to the so called 'premier league'.  Not a  competition when only one of about 4 teams can win. If an exception happens, such as Leicester, they soon get brought down to earth.  Teams that reach the fringe of the top six, as Saints did a few managers back, as Brighton have this year, are soon stripped of their assets.  Van Dijk, Mane, Shaw, etc.

The Championship is a real competition.  The sad thing about it is that the team that wins is relegated to the premier league, and has to start again.  It's ironic that so many of the players who celebrate as they are awarded the Championship trophy, will be told by their club that they are no longer wanted.  Notts Forest bought 22 players to create a team that would spend the season losing games and only avoid relegation because other teams were even worse.   How much fun have Forest fans had this season?  How sad to be celebrating 16th place in the table.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Ironically, with Liverpool having nothing to play for, and Prowsey saying we want to win this for Selles, maybe we can see Southampton win!

Depends what team Selles sends out, though.

and ruin our potential 13 game winless streak to finish out the season? madness!

• Haha 1

I’m not used to games on the last matchday where everything is sorted before. I can’t remember when that last time was the case. We only play this game to win the game and we have to make sure that I find a lineup with good legs, a lot of desire and we have to see … we will not take any risks with players. That makes no sense. 

Klopp in the presser earlier - sounds like we can expect the C team on Sunday, if that - which will make things even more of a damp squib IMO.

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Good riddance to the so called 'premier league'.  Not a  competition when only one of about 4 teams can win. If an exception happens, such as Leicester, they soon get brought down to earth.  Teams that reach the fringe of the top six, as Saints did a few managers back, as Brighton have this year, are soon stripped of their assets.  Van Dijk, Mane, Shaw, etc.

The Championship is a real competition.  The sad thing about it is that the team that wins is relegated to the premier league, and has to start again.  It's ironic that so many of the players who celebrate as they are awarded the Championship trophy, will be told by their club that they are no longer wanted.  Notts Forest bought 22 players to create a team that would spend the season losing games and only avoid relegation because other teams were even worse.   How much fun have Forest fans had this season?  How sad to be celebrating 16th place in the table.

What would be your long term goals for Saints? To finish between 7th and 21st in the Championship for eternity? Our chances of winning the Premier League may be staggeringly small, but if they arent even trying to do that, then all you are watching is 11 men running around kicking a ball. There has to be a point to it all!

• Like 6

20 hours ago, JRM said:

As we discreetly slip out of the Premier league on Sunday via the back door please spare a thought for the Liverpool players and fans who have had to ensure the hardship of not qualifying for the champions league , they are bound to be quite upset so please offer them some  sympathy 

FB_IMG_1685095476016.thumb.jpg.14f3bdac9fe8e70ddb16e5cd7169f359.jpg

Watch him belt in a hat trick alongside Firmino tomorrow 😂

On 26/05/2023 at 15:10, Professor said:

If we are in the Premier League we have a small possibility of winning a cup - we came close in 2017 and reached two FA Cup semi-finals. In the Championship that possibility just about vanishes - since West Ham won the FA Cup in 1980 only one other lower division side has won a major trophy, and that was Sheffield Wednesday in 1991. Since I want Saints to win a trophy for my sons who have never seen us win any silverware apart from the JPT I am desperate for us to be in the Premier League.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Marsdinho said:Our chances of winning the Premier League may be staggeringly small, but if they arent even trying to do that, then all you are watching is 11 men running around kicking a ball. There has to be a point to it all!

That perfectly describes this last season really…11 men running around kicking a ball, with seemingly little point to it all!!!

We must all be desperate for more this season I would wager!

On 26/05/2023 at 15:44, SaintTex said:

and ruin our potential 13 game winless streak to finish out the season? madness!

The first name on the team sheet is ?

Moi 😁 Our best player without the ball apparently and our best in training!

If he is the best without the ball it would be prudent would it not, to leave him in the stands 😁

• Haha 1

On 26/05/2023 at 15:10, Professor said:

Got to agree with this as a 🍒fan. Next season we'll be hoping for 17th again while our reserves lose to Reading in the cup

I think the best value for money in this would be to represent the season. Start the game with Ralph in charge. Let him pick the team and start us off gegenpress. We should pull him after 55 minutes and give Mad Nate a ten minute spell to throw on tall Paul, Bree, Bednarak. Be the most front footed and aggressive team in Europe before he gets the hook. Selles can finish the game by having us do fuck all of use and playing Aribo and Elyo as our main two attacking players.

Make it clear in 90 minutes why this seasons been a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

I think the best value for money in this would be to represent the season. Start the game with Ralph in charge. Let him pick the team and start us off gegenpress. We should pull him after 55 minutes and give Mad Nate a ten minute spell to throw on tall Paul, Bree, Bednarak. Be the most front footed and aggressive team in Europe before he gets the hook. Selles can finish the game by having us do fuck all of use and playing Aribo and Elyo as our main two attacking players.

Make it clear in 90 minutes why this seasons been a nightmare.

also at 55 minutes they can announce the arrival of mislav orsic to stadium wide applause as he waves to the crowd for 45 seconds then goes back to the dressing room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

At last the day has arrived. The day that we can finally lay this mess of a season in its grave. 💀

Then time to move on to the resurrection and the coming of our saviour? Let us pray. 😇

Enjoy the day, if you can.

16 minutes ago, obelisk said:

At last the day has arrived. The day that we can finally lay this mess of a season in its grave. 💀

Then time to move on to the resurrection and the coming of our saviour? Let us pray. 😇

Enjoy the day, if you can.

Is Nathan jones coming back?

So here we go again. One last hurrah. One last sigh. One last giggle.

Lovely day on the sunny south coast. Plenty of time to enjoy the bank holiday weekend. Plenty of time to concede nine goals again. But I doubt we will.

5-0 to Liverpool, Firmino and Salah to score, one of which will get a hat trick.

These big questions need answering:
Will Russell Martin be there?
Will JWP get his two free kicks to clinch a new record?
Will Ruben Selles do a lap of the pitch?
Will Rasmus Ankersen watch on from Denmark?
Will JWP wave goodbye to the fans?
Will Alex McCarthy let a goal in at his near post?
Will most of the fans applaud the players for their pitiful efforts this season?
Will you cope with no football for two months?

Happy Final Matchday! 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Lovely day on the sunny south coast. Plenty of time to enjoy the bank holiday weekend. Plenty of time to concede nine goals again. But I doubt we will.

5-0 to Liverpool, Firmino and Salah to score, one of which will get a hat trick.

Will Russell Martin be there?
Will JWP get his two free kicks to clinch a new record?
Will Ruben Selles do a lap of the pitch?
Will Rasmus Ankersen watch on from Denmark?
Will JWP wave goodbye to the fans?
Will Alex McCarthy let a goal in at his near post?
Will most of the fans applaud the players for their pitiful efforts this season?
Will you cope with no football for two months?

Happy Final Matchday! 😅

As above - Will Orsic say a fond farewell after clocking up less minutes in the Premier League than Ali Dia?

Who will win the team sheet tombola from being out in the cold today? 

🤣🤣🤣

Goodbye Premier League, not sure I'll really miss you, it's not been right for a long time.

Yeah, I wanted you, but you turned out to be style over substance, a weekly battle to keep our heads above mediocrity, and those last few years have been like like domestic abuse.

Oh I know, there were a few highlights, the odd win, some good times, but I cannot recall one that left more of an impression on me than the horrendous turgid soul-destroying home performances of recent years.

It's been toxic, sideways, pointless, backwards, gutless - and now we're through I don't even care, I just want to find some happiness.

So keep your stupid kick off times and your VAR, keep your dodgy refs shafting us, keep your fucking light show, your cardboard signs asking for shirts, your ridiculous handball rules and your away fans in the home sections, I'm off to try and rediscover a bit of joy.

Bye.

• Like 9

Game week 38 is finally here and this means the end of our 11 year stint at the pinnacle of soccerball. 

Look forward to seeing what traps Rueben sets, if we can achieve turnovers as we break the lines to get the ball up to our false nine on the edge of red zone. will be go for a low or high block? It’s fascinating Isn’t it

Would be great if we could have a goal disallowed by VAR today to really go out in style, a win on XG would be great today even if we do lose by the real score

Adios premier let’s suck in our last breath of premier league soccerball for at least a season. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Evil Monkey said:

Anyone know when the ticket office opens today to collect tickets? 

.. or give them back..

I'm in town and going, it would be rude not too, and to avail myself of the opportunity to give the team some advice. High level coaching stuff, you understand, like "run!", or "ffs, put some effort in" or "move!"

Lord Duckhunter made a good point recently about confidence levels and the absence of anybody taking responsibility. I have to admit I've been shouting something similar most of the season: you can't beat a cathartic vent!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Couldn't be fucked to go to this one myself.

By the sounds of it Liverpool aren't playing Alisson, Robertson and van Dijk at the very least so maybe we'll be able to enjoy one last day.

Same here, the club aren’t the only thing that needs a reset before the start of next season!

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

.. or give them back..

I'm in town and going, it would be rude not too, and to avail myself of the opportunity to give the team some advice. High level coaching stuff, you understand, like "run!", or "ffs, put some effort in" or "move!"

Lord Duckhunter made a good point recently about confidence levels and the absence of anybody taking responsibility. I have to admit I've been shouting something similar most of the season: you can't beat a cathartic vent!

"get it forward"

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Will Russell Martin be there?  Maybe
Will JWP get his two free kicks to clinch a new record?  Unlikely
Will Ruben Selles do a lap of the pitch?  Possibly
Will Rasmus Ankersen watch on from Denmark?  I would think so
Will JWP wave goodbye to the fans?  Don't know
Will Alex McCarthy let a goal in at his near post?  Why does this matter?
Will most of the fans applaud the players for their pitiful efforts this season?  Probably not
Will you cope with no football for two months?  Comfortably

Happy Final Matchday! 😅

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

No recognised striker … even on the bench it seems ( unless you include AA).

Meanwhile, Elyonoussi retains his place. He really is the turd they can’t or  won’t flush away. 

Have to hope the youngsters will come on as strikers 

1 minute ago, gordonToo said:

Not sure why Elyonoussi gets so much bad press herewh. At least he tries and is professional about it in that he follows instructions which is more than can be said for some.

who does not follow instructions?

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

No recognised striker … even on the bench it seems ( unless you include AA).

Ballard is a striker and fans would want to see him get an opportunity. Not sure why Mara is being ignored.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-4 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic