• Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Moussa Djenepo
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Redmond

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/20 at 14:00

Really good performance.

KWP's best game for us so far, he looked superb going forward and Diangana really struggled against him

Thought McCarthy's kicking was much better today.

Really hope Djenepo can stay fit this season... will have quiet games but think he's got a lot more goals in his game than Redmond. Also noticed how well he tracks back.

59 minutes ago, waylander said:

Solid performance all round, comfortable win. Should have had more goals. Their keeper was their best player.

We’ve not won by more than a two goal margin in nearly 3 years! (Stat 1.)

I didn't see the game as I was working but saw the Romeu goal. Great hit! Nice.

We’ve not won 3 in a row in the league since the last Koeman season. (Stat 2.) Would be nice to beat Chelsea and/or take Everton down a peg or two. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Armstrong in the side and we often win. He didn't have his most impactful game, but his running beyond players makes opponents track him. He makes them work hard in the wrong direction. Subtle things like that have an impact. We lose a little of the flair with him, but we gain. He's a kind of Freddie Ljungberg style. Needs players to feed his runs, but equally he makes the runs that ball players need.

He's definitely become a starter for us. Not at his best today, but was decisive for the 2nd goal, with a great run off the ball. 

Thought KWP was really good today and am not surprised he's many people's MOTM.  Going forward though, I think he could be even better if he was more adventurous.  A couple of times he had space to run into in the last third but hesitated and played backwards.  Also missed a great opportunity to get Ings in on goal in the second half.  

We should really have won by more, could have been 3 or 4 up at half time with some better finishing, good chances for Bertrand, Adams and their keeper made some great saves. 

Can see more confidence in the side, hopefully no injuries in the international break 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

A really easy win, it's not very often you can just relax (as fans) after 80mins of a home game. 

I'm trying hard not to get too carried away though, as the standard of the opposition we played today was shocking. They are beyond bad, lower half Championship going by that. Derby totals for them wouldn't surprise me.

Let's see how we go after the Internationals. But two wins out of two is a nice return.

Agreed - both West Brom and Fulham look shocking so far. Shame Brentford didn't come up, shame we can't go to away games, and shame Griffin Park has closed down. Ah well...

4 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

Shock result. West Ham beating Leicester 3-0. What a player Antonio has become. Imagine what we could do with him alongside Ings.

Agree! 

I look back fondly at Wembley Johnstones Paint thing and Antonio's performance for us.

He's developed himself into a top player!

That has to be one of our most comfortable wins for years. No one was brilliant but everyone was at 7/10. Very solid team performance against inferior opposition. Good professional display.

Our set piece defending looked shite though and it was a big win because I doubt we'll get anything from the next two matches.

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

Agreed - both West Brom and Fulham look shocking so far. Shame Brentford didn't come up, shame we can't go to away games, and shame Griffin Park has closed down. Ah well...

Not often you can read so much into a season so soon, but that bottom four already looks like it contains the likeliest relegation candidates imho. 

4 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

Shock result. West Ham beating Leicester 3-0. What a player Antonio has become. Imagine what we could do with him alongside Ings.

Let's be honest, we would have sold him on long ago after two decent seasons. Heaven forbid having Ings and Antonio in the same side.

Although we couldn't justify paying around £1M for him while we were in League One, bearing in mind we had knowledge of the player, it feels like he was one of those that got away, not getting him in when we were back in the PL. I suppose we had better options up front until relatively recently, and he was unproven in the PL.

Just checked West Ham's fee - £7M, bargain for ten goals a season.

30 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Agree! 

I look back fondly at Wembley Johnstones Paint thing and Antonio's performance for us.

He's developed himself into a top player!

Yes, true! But when he was with us he got the Mane treatment, written off as rubbish. I hope fans give the new guys a bit more support as they settle---it takes time and our fans dont give our own players support they need--then they do brilliantly for someone else

As others have said, a comfortable victory but we were worryingly ineffective in two ways: (i) gifting two or three free kicks near our penalty area and being exposed by WBA runners behind the defensive line into the space in front of Macca - we could easily have shipped two goals - and (ii) so often preferring to pass backward, both in open play and from free kicks, thus giving WBA ample time to reform their shape.  We should really have scored more than two against one of the weakest teams in the EPL.  But a win is a win.

Romeu and KWP were outstanding.  And Macca's distribution was much improved.  JWP's comment about Rom's goal was a gem.  Pleasingly, nobody had a really bad game.

Bring on Chelsea and Everton.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I found myself a bit annoyed that he subbed Djenepo off so early for Redmond, Redmond consistently gets full 90 minutes without providing anything but Djenepo gets hauled off for him after looking dangerous and getting a goal. 

He did get a goal, but he was struggling up until that point. We did look better with Redmond on that side.

2 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Seemed like a bit of fluidity was beginning to show in our play.

Thought when Che  was subbed we just lost a bit of impetuous up top, he does work very hard and the telepathy between him and Danny is beginning to show.

Adams hold up play is excellent, he fights for balls he has no right to win.

He just needs to get a bit more ruthless in front of goal, still lacking that instinct that Ings has. But if he can provide the foil for ings to score, then that'll work. But I'd still like to see him score a bit more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Adams hold up play is excellent, he fights for balls he has no right to win.

He just needs to get a bit more ruthless in front of goal, still lacking that instinct that Ings has. But if he can provide the foil for ings to score, then that'll work. But I'd still like to see him score a bit more.

His finishing is still rubbish though.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I found myself a bit annoyed that he subbed Djenepo off so early for Redmond, Redmond consistently gets full 90 minutes without providing anything but Djenepo gets hauled off for him after looking dangerous and getting a goal. 

He got a goal, and it was well taken, but he did not look dangerous, in fact he looked bloody hopeless. Think Ralph was already considering subbing him for Redmond when he scored. I'm sure he will come good, but today apart from that excellent play and finish he looked like he had hardly seen a football before (again) and looked extremely unfit.

Great win today, 2 on the bounce with clean sheets :)

Two superbly taken goals from Djenepo and Romeu. On another day we would've won by 4 or 5 if it werent for their keeper. Everyone played well today with stand out performances from KWP (my MOTM), Armstrong, Romeu and Adams.

Hopefully we can take this momentum into the Chelsea and Everton games after international break. And the board back Ralph tomorrow with the signings that he wants :)

Edited by davefizzy14

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He did get a goal, but he was struggling up until that point. We did look better with Redmond on that side.

I agree his overall performance wasn't great, but it was certainly an improvement on last week at Burnley.

However, look at the goal he scored and ask yourself - would Redmond have scored from that chance? I very much doubt it. He would never have had the presence of mind to turn back onto his left foot and hit a low shot past the keeper. Most likely he would have panicked and smashed it high into the stands with his right, or dithered and given the defenders the chance to re-position themselves and get a block or tackle in.

Having said that, was probably the right call to take him off after he had been booked.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I agree his overall performance wasn't great, but it was certainly an improvement on last week at Burnley.

However, look at the goal he scored and ask yourself - would Redmond have scored from that chance? I very much doubt it. He would never have had the presence of mind to turn back onto his left foot and hit a low shot past the keeper. Most likely he would have panicked and smashed it high into the stands with his right, or dithered and given the defenders the chance to re-position themselves and get a block or tackle in.

Having said that, was probably the right call to take him off after he had been booked.

Agreed. They offer very different interesting possibilities. 

Redmond is tidy and dependable, looks after the ball and scores the occasional good goal whereas Djenepo is unpredictable and has the audacity/belief to try things.

It's good to have both options.