• Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Moussa Djenepo
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Nathan Redmond

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/20 at 14:00

what an excellent display. Didn't give WBA a chance to get into the game, except for two poorly defended free kicks. Lots to like. We will win and lose games. We are not top class. But lets enjoy each win.

• Like 5

Sounds like a first class display today. I’m especially pleased for Romeu, who I’ve always rated. 

I said 2 weeks ago (when there was a lot of bed wetting going on) that I wasn’t going to pass judgment until we were a few more weeks in. I’ll just say I glad I did because we’re looking half decent from where I’m sat 🙂

• Like 1

Chelsea didn't beat them. No easy games...but we made it look pretty easy. Need to sort out defending those free kicks and from our own corners. Good to see Redmond back. Djenepo was shoddy, goal apart. Happy days. Tougher games to come...and no doubt some defeats. But maybe we have found some of that form we had afte the break

Edited by Chez

Happy with that. A couple of excellent goals, defended reasonably bar the two set pieces with a clean sheet. Hopefully everyone stays fit during the international break and Salisu ready, Romeu showing the benefit of some competition for places coming up. 

Can't remember a more comfortable win with only a 10 minute spell after half time from the Baggies raising any concerns.    KWP a clear best player - a display that Clyne in his prime would have welcomed.   Romeu another strong, decisive game topped off by that superb volley - and a mention for the maligned Vestergaard who had an outstanding game, relishing the lack of threat from the West Brom forwards.    

• Like 3

And....  our season is underway.  Excellent, excellent!

Looks like Vestergaard is capable of making a real difference in defense. And Romeo... what a start to the season he's had. He and JWP are a formidable ball-winning engine. With possibly two great players about to join, it could be a wonderful year.

WBA were starting to look more likely to score the next goal in the 3rd quarter of the game but we had a strong 4th quarter to see things out confortably in the end.

Not sure who to nominate for my MotM. KWP our best player in the first half and Romeo topped off a decent 2nd half performance with a cracking goal.

Couple of tough games coming up so good to get 6 points on the board. 

Pretty perfect home performance, rode the storm after half time and got the second at just the right time. Could easily have been 4 or 5 without their keeper, made some very good saves.

Really good not to rely on Ings to get the result too! If we can get a couple of new faces in tomorrow we should be comfortable.

• Like 1

A really easy win, it's not very often you can just relax (as fans) after 80mins of a home game. 

I'm trying hard not to get too carried away though, as the standard of the opposition we played today was shocking. They are beyond bad, lower half Championship going by that. Derby totals for them wouldn't surprise me.

Let's see how we go after the Internationals. But two wins out of two is a nice return.

Edited by S-Clarke

Main takeaway for me is how much fitter the team looks since the Palace game. There are a few issues still but the fitness edge was our main advantage after the restart so I'm happy that seems to be coming back.

Final ball needs work, and sometimes we have a tendency to overplay. Dare I say I thought Ings could've been better today, he seemed to look for passes when you want your main striker to just pull the trigger.

KWP was excellent. So often he turns his way out of trouble and finds himself in space to drive us forward. Early days but looks very similar to Clyne at his best.

Overall how great to win comfortably, at home too.

Oh and Vestegaard. He's like the opposite of Samson. Cut off his hair and he's suddenly not shit 😅

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wilf said:

Two superb goals and KWP man of the match in my opinion.

KWP was excellent, back to his performances at the back end of last season. He gives us a real balance from our right side, attacking and defensive discipline.

Wasn't too sure on JWP today, seemed to be hanging on the edges of the game.

Good result, shame we couldn't have put a few more goals in to get the GD back into a positive.

Excellent timing as the league position looks a lot healthier in trying to persuade any of RCL/Grujic/Rashica to sign. (If only)

• Like 1

Great result against a tricky team, we werere great first half organised and disciplined and held out for the goal, went off the boil in the first quarter off the second half till romeus gift from the gods!

• Like 1

Really happy with pretty much everything today! Only slight criticism is that with some better finishing it could have been 3 or 4 goals. My heart says Romeu for mvp because of his work rate but kwp was probably overall better. 

A good win giving us a real confidence boost before the international break. Hopefully another couple of additions to the squad, one later today and another before the deadline tomorrow, giving some time for them to work on melding into the team. Nice to have goals from Romeu and Djenepo, who hadn't scored for a long time. Adams should have had a couple, as should have Bertrand, so with better finishing, or without such great goalkeeping, we could have had four or five. But the second clean sheet in a row is a great achievement. We looked comfortable throughout, with good width from Bertrand and Walker-Peters, solid in midfield with Romeu and Ward-Prowse, with Armstrong and Djenepo outside them. McCarthy hardly had anything to do,  and both CBs looked solid. I'm pleased that Vestergaard looked assured, and came forward with the ball well on a couple of occasions. For once we weren't relying on Ings for a goal, as he didn't have many opportunities, but even so, he always contributes to the team in other ways. Hasenhuttl got it right tactically today, especially bringing on Long late on to add his pace, effort and nuisance value instead of Obafemi, who didn't seem too bothered to make the effort when he last came on.

Thank God the team have turned it all around after a dire start to the season. I think that might have been down to a lack of match fitness combined with some tactical shortcomings from Ralph, but it looks as if both have been addressed now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Great result against a tricky team, we werere great first half organised and disciplined and held out for the goal, went off the boil in the first quarter off the second half till romeus gift from the gods!

Having just read your barrage of negative comments on the match thread I'm surprised you managed to cobble together something so positive afterwards.

Was a solid performance, we never let them into the game until after half time when it was obvious that they'd come out with a bit more intent.

Once we'd worked out how to counter their change in style we became comfortable again and from 2-0 played the game out easily. McCarthy only had to make one save and bar a couple of near misses from set pieces we restricted them to scraps.

Beautiful goal from Romeu. I liked the celebrations afterwards, it seemed like half the players were just laughing at the implausibility of his strike. 

Some very good individual performances today, the obvious ones have already been mentioned but I’d like to add Che Adams who held the ball up well and linked up with Ings to great effect, he’s still short of goals and needs a bit more luck but I’m sure it will come....

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Beautiful goal from Romeu. I liked the celebrations afterwards, it seemed like half the players were just laughing at the implausibility of his strike. 

Judging by the celebrations, it looks like he is a popular member of the team and they all felt really pleased for him. It was a phenomenal and difficult strike, hit with venom.

• Like 1

Just now, Wes Tender said:

Judging by the celebrations, it looks like he is a popular member of the team and they all felt really pleased for him. It was a phenomenal and difficult strike, hit with venom.

Definitely. He seems like a great guy and I would imagine is massively popular in the dressing room. 

Always feels good to get a win going in to a break and the 6 points on the board now takes the pressure off next trickier game at Chelsea when we come back. Really encouraging to get 2 clean sheets on the spin as well, credit to Vestergaard for coming in and doing a decent job 👍

Hopefully a few new faces coming in will also freshen things up for everyone and provide some more competition for starting places, so all looking more positive. Proves how important last weeks win was in getting us off the mark, no matter how scruffy it was.

• Like 1

Won’t get many more comfortable 2-0 wins than that this season. Apart from a tiny bit of pressure middle KD the second half it was 2nd gear all the way. And they still didn’t create any chances of note. 

KWP, Vestegarrd & Romeu all very good, but a proper 7/10s across the park today. Into the break with a couple of wins and hopefully a couple of signings. Plenty of positives. 

Armstrong in the side and we often win. He didn't have his most impactful game, but his running beyond players makes opponents track him. He makes them work hard in the wrong direction. Subtle things like that have an impact. We lose a little of the flair with him, but we gain. He's a kind of Freddie Ljungberg style. Needs players to feed his runs, but equally he makes the runs that ball players need.

• Like 3