Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

We need to get them on the back foot in second half, but personally I would be encouraging Jack Stephens to stay back a bit. A couple of their goals have come from situations where they have found lots of space on the left because he has still been upfield. Bednarek has been trying to cover that but it has left him all over the place - and hence his own goal.

Redmond has actually done ok on his own on the right, so I would let him continue to take charge down the right wing. However, I think we should be sending a lot more down the left where Bertrand and Minamino can combine.

Just now, LGTL said:

First time Newcastle have scored 3 goals in the first half for 5 years. Saints love to give don’t they. 

Newcastle have been woeful in recent months. 3-1 down at half time. Thats how poor we are right now. Someone in that dressing room needs to get hold of this team and shake them out of this funk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delmary said:

Let’s cut to the chase. Not signing a right sided full back has been a terrible outcome. The senior club management and ownership should hold their heads in shame. F*ck *ff Gao!

Then loaning out a reasonable one.  Valary's not perfect but I'd prefer him there than Stephens.

• Like 1

We are shambolic.  I don't care if we lose the game, the number one priority now is not to concede any more.  How many teams go to St James Park and concede 3 in the first half,  not fucking many.   Time to park the bus,  we are obviously only going to get royally embarrassed if we dont change, so park the bus and get back to the training ground.  Time for Ralph to show that he can react to the circumstances, and time for the players to show some bollocks when the going gets tough. 

Redmond caused all of that by passing backwards, he.always passes accountability to someone else he is not  risk taker, which is great for a defender not so great for a winger.

Moussa and Mohammed on please for Jan and redders.

Also if we are flying back please make Jan get the train.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I hope the managers got into them at half time, but I somehow doubt it. Probably given them a cuddle as the little darlings are upset. It’s all right crying because we beat Liverpool (as did Brighton & Burnley), but there’s a few of us fucking crying now. 

If my manager cried I’d think him a pussy 

2 minutes ago, derry said:

McCarthy is not a footballer, trying to use him as a sweeper is nonsense, He has hardly made a save recently. He either puts his foot through it or he sits on the bench. Forster isn't a footballer either but the difference is he knows it. He's had three clean sheets give him a go. We get ourselves into trouble time after time, there comes a time when it is getting tight to belt it long, not pass it to McCarthy.

He's only doing what he's told to do. If Forster comes in just continually whacks the ball upfield he'd get dropped. 

Don't get me wrong he was partly at fault for the 3rd goal but the way Ralph wants our keepers to play doesn't involve launching the ball in the air every time it comes to them.

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

I'm expecting a big reaction in the 2nd half.

Why? We've barely had a reaction from losing 9-0. 

Really, really poor from the manager and the players today. McCarthy should be launching that ball back up the pitch, he hasn't even looked where Bertrand is. He's even piss poor for the shot. 

Redmond is gash. He really shouldn't be anywhere near this level and the thing that makes it worse is that he walks around the place like hes a star. 

1 minute ago, Micky said:

We are shambolic.  I don't care if we lose the game, the number one priority now is not to concede any more.  How many teams go to St James Park and concede 3 in the first half,  not fucking many.   Time to park the bus,  we are obviously only going to get royally embarrassed if we dont change, so park the bus and get back to the training ground.  Time for Ralph to show that he can react to the circumstances, and time for the players to show some bollocks when the going gets tough. 

This

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

I'm expecting a big reaction in the 2nd half.

I was expecting it at the first whistle, then after we'd got a goal back.

Now it's just about keeping the score line down. Game is gone. This has the markings of once again becoming very ugly.

The sad thing is that the Newcastle back 4 is shit, makeshift and there for the taking. They are without the leading striker and only have 1 sub to play.

Yet we have still completely and utterly fucked it up due to unprofessional play.

Just now, The Cat said:

He's only doing what he's told to do. If Forster comes in just continually whacks the ball upfield he'd get dropped. 

Don't get me wrong he was partly at fault for the 3rd goal but the way Ralph wants our keepers to play doesn't involve launching the ball in the air every time it comes to them.

Ball shouldn’t have been anywhere near our keeper. They think they are too clever

I have loved out 4-2-2-2 over the last 18 months. It is a great system that suits us and give us real identity. But we need to start mixing it up more. Frankly, teams have sussed us, particularly our attacking play. How often do we rely on a magic piece of finishing (like today) or a JWP set piece? Pretty much ever since Arsenal game in December we haven't really looked like scoring. This was okay whilst I defence held. But now it is creaking we have been shown up. Let's mix it up a bit, there are other systems where you can still press.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Redmond caused all of that by passing backwards, he.always passes accountability to someone else he is not  risk taker, which is great for a defender not so great for a winger.

Since the first day he played for us. I’d hate to have him as a team mate.

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

not for me. This game isn't over yet.  

We WILL win 4-3. And this will go down as one of the greatest Premier League wins of all time.

...found the happy pils. 🤓

Seriously we have only scored 3 goals or more this season against a Sheffield United side that couldn't buy a result at the time and Villa, who were, at the time, crap (and even they nearly got a result). Score early on this half before they do and we could nick point, but I can't see us scoring 3 this half for the win now.

Otherwise it's damage limitations again. Concentrate on the cup fixture against Wolves.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Form. We aren’t as bad as the team that lost 9-0 and we aren’t as good as the team that was top of the table.

Yep. Those calling for Ralph's head are off their rocker, he is the best thing going for us right now irrespective of recent form. How he produced the results he did out of this bunch in 2020 was miraculous and we were never going to keep that up given lack of support off the pitch.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic