Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Just now, Katalinic said:

Dear oh dear we need a major clearout in the summer. Awful weak mentally, no leadership on the pitch and individual mistakes week after week.

We've had this make up for years, it's not turned up over night. We had a decent run which has masked over a lot of these endemic issues.

Unfortunately a clear out involves us being flexible with finances, which we can't be. 

• Like 1

Can we stop with the fucking Ralph love in yet?

currently presiding over two embarrassing 9 nils.....

he’s been sussed with his ponderous telegraphed way of playing. 
how many times we are in the attacking third,then pass it all the way back...fanny about....and then hoof it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

We've had this make up for years, it's not turned up over night. We had a decent run which has masked over a lot of these endemic issues.

Unfortunately a clear out involves us being flexible with finances, which we can't be. 

Agree, tbf I think I've posted about a major clearout for the past 4 years 🤣.

I'm not sure I see the hate for Redmond - he's played ok. Bednarek is an accident waiting to happen - his confidence looks shot. Ings touch is diabolical - it's like he's turned into Theo. McCarthy also looking poor but again confidence is probably shot. In the bright side we've had enough chances to be winning this...

Just now, Katalinic said:

Dear oh dear we need a major clearout in the summer. Awful weak mentally, no leadership on the pitch and individual mistakes week after week.

Spot on. 

Bunch of fannys. JWP runs round like a choir boy and he’s supposed to be the skipper. Not enough men, and the senior pros show exactly why they’re not at top clubs. 

Ings looks utterly shot as well, not sure where he thinks he's going to get a move to if that's all he can muster for us. He needs to up his game massively. Adams has been better today and Minimino has given us movement/runs between the lines which we've missed. Ings and Redmond have been the spare parts in attack so far.

Fecking shambles... we go from an attacking position to going backwards and get done over because of it!!!  These players need to stand up because it’s gutless!!!! We are so slow in transition and just give teams time to position themselves. No impetus from the centre of the park. 

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

how many times we are in the attacking third,then pass it all the way back...fanny about....and then hoof it. 

No there’s absolutely nothing the manager can do cos he shouts and cries and is full of passion.

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Shall we get Adkins back then? Or do we go back in for Martin O'Neil?

1 minute ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'm not sure I see the hate for Redmond - he's played ok. Bednarek is an accident waiting to happen - his confidence looks shot. Ings touch is diabolical - it's like he's turned into Theo. McCarthy also looking poor but again confidence is probably shot. In the bright side we've had enough chances to be winning this...

It’s because he’s such a fucking passenger. Then when he dies have something to do, he fucks it up. Can’t pass, can’t shoot, can’t defend can’t attack, he’s just...there...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ralph said:

Redmond is utter tosh. He is a pointless winger just passes backwards, never takes anyone on, has no strength - get rid 

In the past I would have disagreed but he's been past his best for ages 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

It’s because he’s such a fucking passenger. Then when he dies have something to do, he fucks it up. Can’t pass, can’t shoot, can’t defend can’t attack, he’s just...there...

This. Has never really done anything but turn round and pass back. Massively overrated

Fuck me, the irony of us desperately trying to get Bednarek's ban overturned only for him to almost single handedly lose us the next game with an absolute donkey display.

How many of the last, say, 30 shots on target do you think McCarthy has actually saved? Since Forster came in for the one off game (clean sheet) against Arsenal, McCarthy's been rubbish. It was only a matter of time before his appalling decision making with the ball at his feet would kill us. Again.

What a clown show. 

At least when we go out of the cup on Thursday we'll free up a bit of time between games to recover and prepare - might be the difference between us dropping like a stone or eking out the 6-8 points we need to survive.

I tend to give benefit of doubt for mistakes when playing out of back but that one is absolutely mental. We had the momentum going our way - there's only seconds left on the clock, so we're not going fashion a chance playing our patient game. In that scenario someone HAS to smell the danger and kick it long.

McCarthy is not a footballer, trying to use him as a sweeper is nonsense, He has hardly made a save recently. He either puts his foot through it or he sits on the bench. Forster isn't a footballer either but the difference is he knows it. He's had three clean sheets give him a go. We get ourselves into trouble time after time, there comes a time when it is getting tight to belt it long, not pass it to McCarthy.

• Like 1

God where to start. Bertrand should never be on set pieces. Sure, maybe in another side he could be. But JWP is one of the best in the league and it is beyond dumb that he doesn't take each one. 

Redmond did nothing to earn a place back in the side, and should not be in the side. He is nearly 27 with 219 EPL appearances with just 26 goals and 18 assists. That is appalling. He makes wrong decisions all the time. I wouldn't care if when he got it right it resulted in goals. But it doesn't. I don't know whether Djenepo is gonna make it, but I sure as hell know Redmond ain't. 

Bednarek atrocious today. As for what was going throught McCarthy's head? There are like 30 seconds left, booting it was the only option. Ings form has fallen off a cliff. The longer he goes without scoring, the less change a big club goes in. Which means he is just putting pressure on himself and making it worse. 

lots and lots of small mistakes throughout the half that eventually cost us. Poor weight of pass, poor first touches, poor decisions...where has that one touch high quality stuff we played at Leicester gone?

I'm all for keeping the ball, and every now and then it will cost you like it has today, you have to accept that, but far too often we just go backwards and then the keeper hoofs it. Better to swing a cross in from deep than hoof a ball a long from your keeper.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic