Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

Huge game coming up on Saturday. 

I think we need two more wins to be safe. If we don't get one here then serious questions need to be asked.

Forster; KWP, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand; Diallo, JWP; Armstrong, Minamino/Djenepo; Tella, Ings.

Edited by Harry_SFC

Believe it or not, they've actually got as many injuries as us. 

No excuses if we don't win, even if KWP and Diallo aren't back. Assuming they are:

-------------------------Forster----------------------

--KWP--------Bednarek---------Vest------Bertrand--

--Armstrong----Diallo----------JWP-------Tella-----

-----------------Ings----------Adams--------------

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

No excuses if we don't win, even if KWP and Diallo aren't back. Assuming they are:

They also play again on Wednesday, we're their 3rd game in 6 days, could be a 0-0. 

It’s easy to view things negatively when form is so poor, but if we lose this I can really see Gao intervening and forcing Semmens to drop the axe on Ralph, he can’t afford to risk the Premier League cash cow when the club is up for sale.

New interim manager comes in, we get a bounce, they get the job full time, next season starts off poorly, we’re staring at relegation, they get sacked......rinse and repeat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

It’s easy to view things negatively when form is so poor, but if we lose this I can really see Gao intervening and forcing Semmens to drop the axe on Ralph, he can’t afford to risk the Premier League cash cow when the club is up for sale.

New interim manager comes in, we get a bounce, they get the job full time, next season starts off poorly, we’re staring at relegation, they get sacked......rinse and repeat

Wasn't that the Sunderland model?

11 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Thought Armstrong was superb playing more central alongside JWP. One of his best games ever for us.

I agree he was class as always tonight Armstrong and that being in a more central role :)

Edited by davefizzy14

26 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

What is it people are seeing in Tella?   Certainly in favour of leaving Redmond at home but if Minamino or Djenepo aren't fit I'd prefer to see someone like Watts occupying that attacking wide role.    Just haven't seen enough from Tella to justify a start.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Hopefully he can play two games in a week

I think we've got enough gap in between this one, hopefully. His prob is when we have 3 in quick succession. I doubt he'll play next mid-week against City.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we've got enough gap in between this one, hopefully. His prob is when we have 3 in quick succession. I doubt he'll play next mid-week against City.

Probably worth resting our best players for that City game. It's a write off for most teams at the moment, let alone one that has 1 point from a possible 27. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Probably worth resting our best players for that City game. It's a write of for most teams at the moment, let alone one that has 1 point from a possible 27. 

I'm going to put a bet on us winning that one, you just know that will happen. Their winning run stops against the worst team in the league.

9 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Thought Armstrong was superb playing more central alongside JWP. One of his best games ever for us.

Yep, I didn't think he would be any good in there, but he was very good. The problem is that we're terrible in the final 3rd without him. 

Hopefully Diallo can come back in, Armstrong can go back to being a 10 in place of Redmond who was shocking tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, I didn't think he would be any good in there, but he was very good. The problem is that we're terrible in the final 3rd without him. 

Hopefully Diallo can come back in, Armstrong can go back to being a 10 in place of Redmond who was shocking tonight. 

Yeah that was my only concern as well. I wasn't expecting our midfield to compete as well tonight, but he did great in there.

Just need another influence in the final third to take his place if he stays in the middle (which I think he will).

Given our current form I have no confidence whatsoever that we will win this one.  I think they will try to keep it tight and turn it into a battle, which I see us struggling with.  That said,  if we play well we should be able to out-football them, and win comfortably.

Tough one to call,  but everybody wants to play us at the moment and they will be no different.  I think they will do us in another scrappy one nil defeat.  Taxi for Ralph incoming. 

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

Given our current form I have no confidence whatsoever that we will win this one.  I think they will try to keep it tight and turn it into a battle, which I see us struggling with.  That said,  if we play well we should be able to out-football them, and win comfortably.

Tough one to call,  but everybody wants to play us at the moment and they will be no different.  I think they will do us in another scrappy one nil defeat.  Taxi for Ralph incoming. 

From past experience you just know that McBurnie who looks utter shit is going to score in this one. Equally,Brewster will probably come on has a sub and score his first Sheffield United goal, both probably assisted by either Sharp or McGoldrick.

They’ve lost 21 of their 26 games this season, probably the two worst teams in the league at the moment, we have to win. Surely Redmond was finally bad enough tonight he gets dropped, Hopefully with Diallo and Walker Peters back we can have more balance to the side. Even without them Anything less than 3 points would be a poor result.

Just hoping and praying that both KWP and Diallo are both back for this one. We will have so much more balance in the side then. If KWP isn't quite ready then Ramsay to come in. I would rest Moussa and bring him on in the second half after it looked like he took a knock to his ankle late on tonight. I would rest Jan too.

Forster; KWP, Vestergaard, Salisu, Bertrand; Armstrong, JWP, Diallo, Minamino; Ings, Adams.

We have to win this one. COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

From past experience you just know that McBurnie who looks utter shit is going to score in this one. Equally,Brewster will probably come on has a sub and score his first Sheffield United goal, both probably assisted by either Sharp or McGoldrick.

Let's not tempt fate, but yeah I know what you mean.  That said I was up there last season when we beat them and Sharp came on for the last ten minutes and promptly got sent off.  So some more of that wouldn't go amiss.

Strongest team possible of course.

Imagine if by some fantasy for the City game Ralph can organise an amicable truce with Pep to let them win 1-0 and they can rest all their players and we can rest ours as they are clearly incapable of managing 2 games in a week. On their top form if it clicks they could beat us 10-0 even if we had 11 on the pitch.

God forbid our players ever become Champions League players they wouldn’t be able to hack it.

Anyways, I think sadly this is a must win or else question marks will start to be asked by the fanbase at least. I mean they will definitely give Ralph the end of the season, and for sure he has deserved the right to be given the chance to turn this around- but maybe Semmens or even Gao will start to dust off that ‘blackbox’ to find someone else.

Edited by nta786

The Sheff Utd game is clearly a huge game for us. However, they struggle to score, so if we don't do anything stupid we should definitely be able to avoid defeat. The harder challenge will be scoring. Despite their position in the league, they don't typically concede many goals.

If KWP and Diallo are fit for this game then my preferred line up would be:

..................McCarthy

KWP.....Bednarek.....Vestergaard.....Bertrand

..........Diallo............Ward-Prowse

.....Djenepo....................Armstrong   (or vice-versa)

...............Ings...........Minamino (if fit)

Bench:   Forster,  Salisu,  Jankewitz,  Redmond,  Adams,  Tella,  NLundulu, Stephens, (one of) Ramsey/Ferry/Watts/Chauke

A few comments about this:

• Forster was incredibly lucky that the second goal was disallowed. Even if McCarthy's performances have been a little under par recently, he would still have done better than Forster. Bring him back and let him show his quality.
  • If KWP is not fit I would still like to see Bednarek remain in the middlle with Vestergaard as that is where he is most effective. I would consider playing Salisu at full back, though I recognise that potentially that would mean left back with Bertrand switching to right back.
  • Despite all the boo-boys on here who seem to have a vendetta against him (just as they did against Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Dusan Tadic and Stephen Davis before him) I actually think Redmond is a good player - especially when bringing the ball forward from midfield. Sadly though his shooting is not great and sometimes his decision making in the second half of games isn't always the greatest. I believe Djenepo is better and more likely to go past a player if he attempts to do so - though sadly sometimes he deosn't have the confidence to take on players when out wide for some reason.
  • Adams works hard and sometimes makes some nice touches but his final pass and his shooting too frequently fall short of the standard required at present. With Redmond also struggling in those respects, I think Minamino or even Tella should be the ones to partner Ings.

Sheffield United must be licking their lips at this game, a scrumptious 3 points on the table, sneak a spawny goal and pack the final 1/3 with all 10 outfield players watching us pat the ball back and forth.

I can’t believe I just wrote that...........but I have watched some shite dished up by Saints over the years but at the moment even the huffing and puffing from us is half arsed.

The team talk before they leave the dressing room for this one will be absolutely crucial. Somebody's got to say the right things and get all of them (starters and reserves) absolutely focuseed on spanking Sheffield. 

Apart from Man City, the next few games are must wins against teams around us in the bottom third of the table. Saints are the only team in the league without a win in their last 5 matches. I keep my fixture and results sheets pinned up in the loo. It seems the best place for them at the moment.😪

28 minutes ago, rooney said:

You cannot make silk purses out of sows ears. Sadly the team last night simply did not have enough quality to score goals when we had the chances despite the stats indicating we had the better game.

That's rather simplistic and ignores the fact that most of the team who were doing so well in the Autumn played last night. 

For me, there were encouraging signs once Salisu went off. Bednarek and Vestergaard are comfortable together and understand each other. Djenepo is a decent wing back. Armstrong can play the 6 role. We created two good chances in the final minutes and should have taken at least a point. Tella is currently an upgrade on Redmond.

• Like 1

Forster keeps his place for me didn’t do anything wrong distribution was decent ..got out to balls over the top and kicking was good .. far more assured than Macca at the moment.. wasn’t at fault for goal last night as some people may suggest on here .

Need a win here, no question. Time for the Senior Pros to make a statement. Che badly needs a goal, play him here as he must fancy it as a big chance. Redmond off the bench with a point to prove if needed. Is the Karate Kid back yet? Might be another good wildcard option off the bench with a point to prove.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sheffield Utd 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic