Chelsea 1-1 (p.4-3) Saints - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

Proud of the boys tonight - they proper went for it especially towards the end. Feel for Smallbone, he shouldn’t have been taking one there’s far more experience in that side that should have stepped up.

Walcott though, just fuck off.

• Like 1

Meh, it was a lottery at the end, no disgrace losing there.  Played really well, never looked out of place so loads of positives really.  Had the chances to win it at the death but wasn't to be, move on, need that kind of brave performance in the league now, need points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Takes bigger balls to admit you SHOULDNT be taking one.

Somebody else should have stood up & taken one. Young man should never have been in that position after being out so long. 

As for Walcott, he did fuck all again. The other subs influenced the game and showed a bit, he was fucking wank again, like playing with 10. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Somebody else should have stood up & taken one. Young man should never have been in that position after being out so long. 

As for Walcott, he did fuck all again. The other subs influenced the game and showed a bit, he was fucking wank again, like playing with 10. 

Pony

Really good performance by the second string. Thought Lyanco had won it at the end. Lyanco must be in contention to start at the weekend if he's physically ok.

As for Penalties you can't afford to put penalties off target. Walcott's looked to be heading wide before Kepa saved it and Smallbone blazed out of the staidum. Oriel(down the middle) showing what you should do if you can't put it in the corner with power.  Forster unlucky on the hudson-odoi penalty too, almost got there.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Oh, and a great mention to Lyanco, really proved some people wrong. Where is @TWar tonight…

What did you think of his performance, I get its only one game, but he looked everything that Bednarek isn’t.

Gives us another option 

Just now, Mr X said:

I know i will get called crazy but Walcott has done nothing to deserve playing in our first team ever again, even Shane long offered more..... Let that sink in

Long did ok. Put himself about a bit and knocked a decent pen in. 

why don't keepers dive to their right to right footers and to their left to left footers. Nearly every penalty seems to go that way.

Decent performance. Gave them plenty of problems and could easily have won it with a little bit of luck. Great to see Smallbone back. Penalty was bad, but the bigger picture is he has recovered fro his ACL. Also good to Lyrenco put his poor first game behind him.

• Like 5

Gutted.

Oh well, should signal the end of Walcott's involvement surely barring the last 10 minutes of a midweek PL game of which there aren't too many anyway.

Other than that, excellent performance from the team, need to convert these performances into 3 points starting from this Saturday.

MOTM goes to Lyanco, great game and I'm loving the passion.

Lyanco really shined today. Couragious performance and shame his header didn't go in during extra time. I haven't seen a header like that from any of our other currect CB's. I hope Ralph took notice and gives him his chance ahead of Bednarek.

Forster has impressed with his last few appearances too.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

Great team performance. 

I think we saw that:

Lyanco is pretty damn good. Quick too

Forster bis better than MaCarthy

We're more dynamic and attack-minded without JWP

Dare I suggest Diallo is a better player?

• Like 1

Just now, VictiAbNonem said:

I think Diallo looked better than JWP tonight. 

We've looked far more dangerous in the last three games too.

Yeah, Diallo was excellent. He's got stronger, which allows him to hold off the opponent with his upper body and use his agility to turn on the ball. He's always been quite a skilful player, but he's added a bit more steal to his game now.

Wonder if there is a way we can get Diallo, JWP and Romeu in the same team - stick Diallo in a more attacking role.

• Like 1

An excellent performance. Very proud of the team and the way we played against a strong Chelsea side.

Lyanco played very well as did Salisu. Maybe we'll see them together in the league soon. 

Disappointing to lose on penalties but we gave everything.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Long did ok. Put himself about a bit and knocked a decent pen in. 

Thought long was good off the bench today. Like to see his penalty again. Was it one of those that looks good because the keeper has gone the wrong way or is it nice calmness to get the keeper to go the other way and then roll it in the other side.

Was hoping Lyanco might take a penalty. Feels like the sort of character who would thrive off such a situation.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Appy said:

Agreed, probably the worst player in the premier league. 

Theo hardly touched the ball after coming on. He is miles off the pace sadly and it is probably too late now for any kind of effective recovery. At least Smallbone got involved and had a couple of decent efforts. Armstrong is a long way off being the player we remember and Diallo's limitations were clearly on display. Lyanco looks like a half decent player. Salisu also superb. Well played Fraser Forster.

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

I think you can add Smallbone to that. Forget the pen, he looked sharp after being out so long and knocked some decent corners in as well. 

I don't think he really did anything except hit a header straight at the keeper when anything to his left would have gone in. Two corners were good and two were utterly terrible.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Good performance. Out via the lottery of penalties. More positives than negatives. Next.

Yep, I'd agree with that summary. I didn't think Smallbone would take quite such a bad penalty but I called the Walcott one. Good to see Smallbone back on the pitch though. But as for the game we did well and I can't be bothered to go back in the thread to see the usual moaners, I can see enough on this last page. I thought Lyanco was a revelation, and the best bit was that he seemed to be enjoying himself and making the effort. Just before the game I was watching an analysis of Manchester United and their lack of pressing: we may not have the ultimate skilled players but ours do put in the effort and they're well drilled too.

I was muttering about how Chelsea could bring on Mount and we bring on Long, but I thought he had a decent game. Walcott I'm afraid no longer has it and was less effective.

I'm not too upset about that loss. We made more changes than they did and reckon they'll be mightily relieved. I may be grumpier after the Watford game..

• Like 5

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Thought long was good off the bench today. Like to see his penalty again. Was it one of those that looks good because the keeper has gone the wrong way or is it nice calmness to get the keeper to go the other way and then roll it in the other side.

Agreed, he put in a good shift when he came on and the game actually turned. He kept the Chelsea defenders occupied and played on the shoulder really well. Won the ball back and played a great ball to Smallbone who had a great chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I think Diallo looked better than JWP tonight. 

We've looked far more dangerous from corners in the last three games too.

He is a class player. I think the problem Ralph has is that in the system he plays it’s Romeu or JWP/Diallo. I kind of leaning to thinking out of the two diallo is the better player….

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How do you he didnt put his hand up and demand to take one? Its not under 10s where he was ordered to take one fs

Despite the result I really enjoyed the game.

Saints played really well against a top rate side and could have won it with the flurry of chances at the end.

Lyanco played far better than expected and Forster showed what a decent keeper he is.

Unfortunately much that I would like Walcott to come back and perform at the top level he is really not up to it.

I feel very sorry for Smallbone. On another day he could have been a hero.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Oh, and a great mention to Lyanco, really proved some people wrong. Where is @TWar tonight…

What did you think of his performance, I get its only one game, but he looked everything that Bednarek isn’t.

Mind you, knowing Ralph we will see him for the FA Cup 3rd round in Jan next.

Watching the game, Lyanco did have a good game. He had an atrocious game at sheffield united though so maybe a bit early to say he proved people wrong. Shows he atleast has a little promise though.

With regards to the game, we played well against a very good side, maybe could have snatched it at the end with a couple of good corners or with Smallbones header. It's a shame Armstrong, Djenepo, Diallo, Che were all subbed off as they would probably have had it over Smallbone but can't blame the lad for it considering his situation, he was very positive after coming on and it was nice to see him back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Tino is only 18. If he had taken one and missed you would have no doubt been howling that he should never have been allowed to take one.

No I wouldn’t because I thought he should take one. So I wouldn’t have needed to howl. Because that is what I thought. Beforehand. And I know how old he is. It didn’t affect me thinking he should have taken one. Beforehand. I write it down in a sealed envelope and sent it to myself. 

Wouldn’t have been bothered whatsoever if we’d taken a routine 2 or 3 nil pasting but playing really well and then suffering YET MORE penalty misery (I include England here) is hard to take. I have to say I would have had waif like Smallbone right at the bottom of my penalty taker list. In fact I would not have had him on the pitch.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 1-1 (p.4-3) Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic