Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

12 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

How many other teams in this league would take Stephens, Bednarek, Tella, Redmond and Armstrong in their starting line up? Not many. 

Given we can't afford to replace half our squad, and allowing for injuries and suspensions, who would you have played in their places ?

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

What a rubbish signing A A has been.

It was kind of predictable though, not strong enough to be a PL player.

Yep. Although Adams and Armstrong will be a decent strike force to get us promoted next season*

*Assuming we keep hold of Adams

Just now, Turkish said:

You’d have thought he’d learn not to do this again after spurs handed us our arses playing that way last season 

Astonishing run of bad results and no improvement tactically. Can’t think of another manager who has been given so much faith with so little evidence that he can adapt to anything whatsoever. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry Bloggs said:

Sky have just commented that Saints are the better team, Arsenal have the better players. That says it all.

We're really not, we have lots of the ball, nowhere near enough quality to score.  Same old, same old... the game was over after 25 minutes.  Credit to those who travelled... I'm off to kick the cat and watch some paint dry. 

Okay in parts but never looking particularly threatening.

Unfortunately we have two of the worst CBs in the league so we make scoring goals easy for anyone. Making Lacazette look good today.

Really missing a DM which shows how much of an oversight it was not to get a proper backup/competition for Romeu in the Summer.

• Like 2

Well, I've been supportive of Ralph through thick and thin up until now, but I'm finally reaching the stage where I really wouldn't be bothered if he was replaced, as long as we do our due dilligence on a suitable replacement and don't just sack him for the sake of it.

We know Arsenal have better players than us, but this performance shows such poor coaching and naivety. It's not his fault personally that our strikers are so profligate, of course, but we need to be defending much better than we are if the strikers aren't doing the biz.

Yes we're missing Salisu and Romeu today, but if Ralph genuinely thinks we can still get away with our kamikaze pressing when we have Stephens and Bednarek as our CB pairing then that is worrying. He needs to be smarter than that and make us more solid.

JWP has reverted to his old self and is never, ever captain material. He's also been found out as a set piece taker.

I don't think I can bring myself to watch the second half. This is a shitshow that isn't going to get any better.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Okay in parts but never looking particularly threatening.

Unfortunately we have two of the worst CBs in the league so we make scoring goals easy for anyone. Making Lacazette look good today.

Really missing a DM which shows how much of an oversight it was not to get a proper backup/competition for Romeu in the Summer.

Also last week the defence looked comfortable until JWP/Mccarthy's brainfart. So why drop the CB to bring in two players who have been injured.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Micky said:

We're really not, we have lots of the ball, nowhere near enough quality to score.  Same old, same old... the game was over after 25 minutes.  Credit to those who travelled... I'm off to kick the cat and watch some paint dry. 

Yeah, for a bit of balance this is Tim fkin Sherwood saying this on Sky, he keeps rattling out the JWP king of set pieces line as well !

Where do you start summing up that half and where we are as a Prem team? It starts with Ralph.  If he had Arsenals team he’d do great, but he’s trying to craft a thing of beauty with sub-standard tools and materials. It’s not working and everyone can see it. Except the SFC Board who won’t or can’t act.

Had enough of the rubbish TBH…seriously thinking of giving up the ST next season after years in the same seat…I can get the same shit show watching from the comfort of my armchair. Feeling pretty deflated, but hey there’s the 2nd half to play yet!

3 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I'm coming to the conclusion that Saints just do not have the players with the ability to implement the tactical system that the manager wants. Something needs to change or this season could end badly.

We should be playing to the strengths of the players we have not following a system which requires more skill and endurance than we have available that's generally why we are terrible in the second half we expend all our energy along with terrible game management  and subs 

• Like 1

We were doing ok for the first 20 , then two stupid decisions cost us.

KWP went for a press that he was never going to get, which left us wide open for the first.

For the 2nd, my stream buffered while JWP was pointing at Tierney running past him, rather than sticking with him. Nobody picked Tierney up, even though there were 20 seconds of pissing about on the other side before the ball came in. Everyone was ball watching. 2 nil game over against a poor Arsenal team. 

Diallo has been anonymous. 

Hope Broja steps up and links with Tella abit to make the 2nd half more interesting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doc oli said:

Think a lot on here will actually be happy if/when we go down. It’s fucking Arsenal who spunk £50mil on players for fun. We can’t compete. 

Whilst this does have a bearing on things when you watch our tactics and set up with far too many players far too advanced and then having to run like hell to get back when we lose the ball etc etc you have to question the Manager. Christ most of the game we are playing with a back two! We are begging to get hammered…

Ralph is definitely a major contributor to our issues.

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I used to blame the players but Imo we have some better players now and we still can't play this system consistently well. I'm starting to think a change wouldn't be the worst thing. 

We don’t have better players today though. I think any team would struggle missing 4/5 of their best players and having a 40 year old keeper in net playing his first game in a while.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yep. Can’t understand Lyanco’s omission here. 

It's because RH can't help himself. He wants to do something different and be lauded a tactical genius.

It's like Gordon Ramsay's kitchen nightmares where chefs are trying to be too different and serving up shit. Ramsay's like, just keep it simple. Classic pub menu, no fucking serving deconstructed burgers on a toilet seat. Just good food...you donkey!

2 minutes ago, redkeith said:

KWP went for a press that he was never going to get, which left us wide open for the first.

For the 2nd, my stream buffered while JWP was pointing at Tierney running past him, rather than sticking with him. Nobody picked Tierney up, even though there were 20 seconds of pissing about on the other side before the ball came in. Everyone was ball watching. 2 nil game over against a poor Arsenal team. 

Hope Broja steps up and links with Tella abit to make the 2nd half more interesting. 

You missed the crucial bit where Redmond won the ball in midfield and JWP decided it would be a good idea to give it straight back to them and they scored.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I think JWP's brain buffered. Just like last week. 

• Like 1

I love how losing away at Arsenal appears to be the "final straw" with Ralph for so many of you. Bunch of wetties. 

We had the better of much of the play first half, one good breakaway goal a and a shit piece of defending has done us. I don't think this Saints team will go down, just wish we had more nouse up top because we've so nearly been a very good side this season. 

Just now, Saint_Jonny said:

I love how losing away at Arsenal appears to be the "final straw" with Ralph for so many of you. Bunch of wetties. 

We had the better of much of the play first half, one good breakaway goal a and a shit piece of defending has done us. I don't think this Saints team will go down, just wish we had more nouse up top because we've so nearly been a very good side this season. 

But this shit happens every week!!

Just now, Saint_Jonny said:

This is where I stand on it as well. 

I know lots will disagree but I still can’t help but feel like we’re not doing a bad job with the obvious restrictions Ralph has on him here.

I worry that if we sack him and bring in one of the dull managers again we’ll just go down whilst looking terrible at the same time.

I still maintain that we’ve only been heavily outplayed on a couple of occasions this year.

Just now, BotleySaint said:

Surely must be part of Ralph that thinks "i've done all I can here".
But I guess you don't resign from a £6m a year or so job.

He's in a win win situation no incentive for him to up his game..... at least hes looking fashionable hey 

2 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

You mean they let us have plenty of possession in full knowledge that we wouldn't actually lay a glove on them and would only leave ourselves open to the counter.

That's not having the better of the play.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic