Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

51 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Absolutely agree with this. This Arsenal team is not remotely anywhere near as good as previous Arsenal teams. I fancy us for a point, 1-1.

Different team with Smith Rowe though. If we give them space and time on the ball they'll murder us.

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Have you seen Arsenals recent results? They’re average and this is a game we can certainly draw and have an outside chance of winning. 

Have you also seen our recent performances.

I have no doubt that we will dominate them in the first hour of the game, but sadly that means nothing because at best we will have a 1 goal lead. 

Then the opposition barely need to enter our box and we look fragile in the 6 yard box, Aubameyang will find space to ricochet one in off Romeu's arse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Have you also seen our recent performances.

I have no doubt that we will dominate them in the first hour of the game, but sadly that means nothing because at best we will have a 1 goal lead. 

Then the opposition barely need to enter our box and we look fragile in the 6 yard box, Aubameyang will find space to ricochet one in off Romeu's arse.

Which will be disallowed as Romeu will be sitting in the stand 'cos he's banned and a throw-in will be awarded..

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 20/08/2021 at 06:10, Far que said:

one suggestion to the team that takes the field.......LUBE UP

On 21/08/2021 at 12:01, Far que said:

Yeah lube up

On 17/09/2021 at 04:56, Far que said:

lube up boys

2 hours ago, Far que said:

Park the bus but the Arsenal have to much ammunition 

lube up

I suspect a Skate Lube Salesman.

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'd guess Lewis will start this one and Willy will remain a bench option, atleast until he has ample time to prove his quality in training.

That would be a bit daft in my eyes. We've signed him for a month to play, not sit on the bench! These sorts of signings don't give you a window to 'test' their quality, they're just in the thick of it from day 1.

20 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

99.9% sure you guess wrongly but i have to assume you said this tongue in cheek.......right ? 

No, I don't think we'd sign someone who hasn't played professional football in months and start them 2 days after arrival. It's more likely for me he sits on the bench as a back up if Lewis goes down and if Lewis does poorly (as he likely will) he'll be in for the next one.

Again, not sure, could start I'm not ruling it out, but in my opinion I think that's what will happen.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

This has got a loss written all over it i'm afraid. Feel like we always do poorly at Arsenal. Especially when we have a 40year old stand in goalkeeper with only a few days of training :shakey:

Our goalkeepers are at their best when they've had minimal time with our goalkeeping coaches. Forster, McCarthy and Gunn all had their best form at the beginning of their Saints careers....

Harry Lewis has previous against Arsenal in a 5-0 loss. A certain Theo Walcott with a hattrick that day!

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-arsenal-28-january-2017-352101/

But that was a weakened side that day and I'd guess that even with injuries our current side is better than that. Don't get me wrong, I still predict an Arsenal win and I reckon Caballero will play but I don't think it will be a thrashing as long as we can keep 11 players on the pitch. Play dirty but not too dirty. 

3-1 Arsenal.

Edited by SNSUN
Meant to include the Theo stat

On 04/12/2021 at 19:26, nta786 said:

I think we will make Arsenal look like world beaters in this game. Aubameyang might have been quiet all season but I have no doubt he will pop up with a goal or two in this game.

Is Bednarek missing? If so, we have to play Stephens.

Lewis

Tino - Stephens - Lyanco - KWP

Redmond - JWP - Diallo - Tella

C.Adams - Broja

For the love of God though, Ralph needs to take Tino off around the 60/70th minute and bring Perraud on.

Nothing wrong with Tino starting, but the poor lad is only 19 and looks visibly fatigued, I'm worried we are over playing him and the fixtures are coming thick and fast. 

Arsenal 3-1 Southampton my final prediction.

Never gonna happen for tino...................

18 hours ago, adriansfc said:

Ha, there is no chance Lewis is starting at Arsenal. Willy is here to play. He's been back up but ready to play at big clubs for ages. He's had 6 months off but still training. More training doesn't get him up to speed, playing does.

He's got 1 month. A senior out of practice keeper is still far better than someone who has never played this level and shown little to suggest they deserve a chance.

Guess you were all right, Willy to start on the weekend says Blackmore. Thought he might be a back up until he gets a bit more training but straight in apparently. Hope he is more effective than McCarthy and Forster! With any luck he will earn a longer term contract.

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

Guess you were all right, Willy to start on the weekend says Blackmore. Thought he might be a back up until he gets a bit more training but straight in apparently. Hope he is more effective than McCarthy and Forster! With any luck he will earn a longer term contract.

He is more effective than either when they are injured.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

I don't think we should make the mistake of signing a stop gap to a longer contract. Get to the summer, get rid of Forster and McCarthy and make a quality keeper our number one priority.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think we should make the mistake of signing a stop gap to a longer contract. Get to the summer, get rid of Forster and McCarthy and make a quality keeper our number one priority.

Unless Cab turns out to be that quality we've been looking for.  At 40 he could still conceivably dajfu for the foreseeable.  At least buy us some time...

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah I wouldn't suggest like 2 years, but giving Willy till the summer if he performs well could be alright.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

I think Twar is struggling here because no keeper is statistically worse than Willy this season, yet no keeper is statistically better than Willy this season.

Its potentially great for Willy though, clean sheet tomorrow with a couple of good saves and he'll be the best keeper in the PL, we should cash in. 

1 hour ago, benjii said:

I think Twar is struggling here because no keeper is statistically worse than Willy this season, yet no keeper is statistically better than Willy this season.

Last season he was amongst the worst 3 I think, but tiny sample size, before that he was very consistently an upper mid tier keeper for many years. I did some plots on this in a hurry on the other thread.

Edited by TWar

I find the irony of Forster being injured just mind boggling. Not saying he’s faking but after have such a period with basically 2x 7 out of 10 keepers & then to lose both at same time & then poor HL gets well & totally binned. What a FU. Still moving on; I presume our early season messiah will still be injured, so I’d assume no change up front. Diallo is a “given” . I wonder if Willy plays a couple of blinders, we give him a wacking great contract & he morphs into a crap 40 yr old? 

Edited by Garysfc48

0-3 or 0-4. Aubameyang will score a hatrick. Getting tired of watching games in which we really have little or no hope. Arsenal will be well up for it after losing their last two. Hope I'm wrong but really can't understand the optimism here with Romeu and Salisu out, a new goalkeeper old or new (although WC probably an upgrade he's not match fit...nor would Stephens be if he plays). Saints podcast pundits all had us losing this from 0-2 to 1-3.

18 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I think we can get something today. They have conceded a few recently and we can really get at them. 1-1 Redmond to score - COYR :)

I love your optimism Dave. I don't think I've ever seen a negative post from you!

Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic