Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Yes both suspended. Salisu was booked for throwing the ball TOWARDS where the foul was given. Yellows should absolutely be appealable. We have VAR but can't appeal moronic yellows? 

With a full team I would have fancied at least a point at Arsenal. With 2 keepers, 2 CBs, Romeu & Armstrong missing, we'll lose.

Edited by niceandfriendly

With the amount of points we've dropped against the 'crap', 'shyte', 'rubbish' teams, we've got no chance against a fast improving Arsenal.  Yet another loss which will push us yet closer towards a relegation battle.   Who knows, that could be a good thing, once we're in the shit, perhaps it might focus the minds a little. 

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't know. We've been able to drop leads against Man United and Leicester City this season.

I based my statement on Arsenal taking a positive approach to the game, where we will be without Macca/Forster, Salisu, and Romeu. We won't get a chance to take the lead as they storm into an early 2 goal advantage.

EDIT: If I were Trouseres I would add #reversepsychology, however I think it is more #realism

Edited by badgerx16

I think we will make Arsenal look like world beaters in this game. Aubameyang might have been quiet all season but I have no doubt he will pop up with a goal or two in this game.

Is Bednarek missing? If so, we have to play Stephens.

Lewis

Tino - Stephens - Lyanco - KWP

Redmond - JWP - Diallo - Tella

C.Adams - Broja

For the love of God though, Ralph needs to take Tino off around the 60/70th minute and bring Perraud on.

Nothing wrong with Tino starting, but the poor lad is only 19 and looks visibly fatigued, I'm worried we are over playing him and the fixtures are coming thick and fast. 

Arsenal 3-1 Southampton my final prediction.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Yes both suspended. Salisu was booked for throwing the ball TOWARDS where the foul was given. Yellows should absolutely be appealable. We have VAR but can't appeal moronic yellows? 

Yep, and Elyonoussi's yellow where it looked to me that he got a toe on the ball before any contact with the player.  VAR should be looking at these decisions retrospectively.  Suspensions are a big deal to a club like ours.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Yep, and Elyonoussi's yellow where it looked to me that he got a toe on the ball before any contact with the player.  VAR should be looking at these decisions retrospectively.  Suspensions are a big deal to a club like ours.  

Yep, he did, clearly kicked the ball away with his toe.

You could guarantee that if we were facing a team without their two goalkeepers, two centre backs, attacking mid or DM - we'd somehow contrive to lose in the most irritating way.

But when we're in that position I don't see Arsenal having any problems what so ever. They'll probably swat us aside by about 50 mins, if that.

• Like 3

Was Lewis last game when we were battered at home by Arsenal in the FA Cup in the Puel season? Going to be a repeat.

We could have a full squad to choose from and wouldn't win anyway, the football gods don't allow it , 1987 FFS 

• Like 1

.As we've got no keeper maybe we could confuse Arsenal with a 6-4-1 formation and scrape a nil -nil.

I am willing to make a Fantasy League sacrifice for this one and keep Aubameyong for one more unproductive game. If I transfer him out he'll definitely score a hat trick

Edited by Wurzel

Time to rest Tino as his performances have tailed off the last few weeks. Not sure what the status with Bednarek is. Would start him ahead of Lyanco if fit. Lyanco/Stephens pairing could be awesome or a car crash, nothing in between. Would bring Willy straight in, purely for the experience.

Willy

KWP     Stephens  Lyanco  Perraud

Tella        Diallo     JWP      Redmond

Broja    Adams

• Like 2

I wonder how many of our current squad weren’t born the last time we won at Arsenal in the League. The way we managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory, in the sixth minute of stoppage, two years ago is remarkably similar to the Brighton game. It was like we were just determined for them to score.

You can all laugh at me, but for reasons I can't fathom, I actually fancy us to get something on Saturday.  I though it first yesterday morning and it hasn't gone away.  I've been trying to rationalise it away ever since, which should be very easy to do, but the feeling just won't go.  Our backs to the wall, depleted and suffering - it's just one of those unlikely scenarios where we grind out a 0-0, 1-1, or who knows even squeak something better.  I am an optimist by nature - and this post is stretching that to the limit - and I know I am going to get rightly lampooned on here for this post, but I thought I'd take the risk and share it any way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I wonder how many of our current squad weren’t born the last time we won at Arsenal in the League. The way we managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory, in the sixth minute of stoppage, two years ago is remarkably similar to the Brighton game. It was like we were just determined for them to score.

I was there for that one, so disappointing. By my recollection, the referee was determined for them to score, too

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

You can all laugh at me, but for reasons I can't fathom, I actually fancy us to get something on Saturday.  I though it first yesterday morning and it hasn't gone away.  I've been trying to rationalise it away ever since, which should be very easy to do, but the feeling just won't go.  Our backs to the wall, depleted and suffering - it's just one of those unlikely scenarios where we grind out a 0-0, 1-1, or who knows even squeak something better.  I am an optimist by nature - and this post is stretching that to the limit - and I know I am going to get rightly lampooned on here for this post, but I thought I'd take the risk and share it any way.

You are doing what is commonly known as clutching at straws.

4 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Time to rest Tino as his performances have tailed off the last few weeks. Not sure what the status with Bednarek is. Would start him ahead of Lyanco if fit. Lyanco/Stephens pairing could be awesome or a car crash, nothing in between. Would bring Willy straight in, purely for the experience.

Willy

KWP     Stephens  Lyanco  Perraud

Tella        Diallo     JWP      Redmond

Broja    Adams

That looks about the best we could offer. Be good to see KWP back playing his natural side. And agreed - thought Tino was almost in the 'poor' category on Saturday. Slowly draining him of talent and enthusiasm

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I'm with you, I don't think that we should completely write off our chances. Salisu will be a big loss, but either Stephens or Bednarek could cover for a single game. Romeu has a decent replacement in Diallo. Goalkeeper is obviously the big issue. You get the feeling that Lewis is just not rated and will be released as soon as his contract is up; Big Willy has the experience and stature to perform well. 

Arsenal are a good team, filled with lots of young talent, but they are far from the finished product.   They haven't been blowing teams away, in fact I believe that they've lost 2 of their last 3 games.  We can definitely get a point, although I feel that it will need to be a match where the gods are on our side and marginal decisions, flukey goals and bad misses all benefit our side for 90+ minutes. 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Seem to remember most Arsenal players looking a bit peeved that they did score, think they were trying to get Emery out at the time. 

3 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I have the same feeling, don’t know why. Maybe Ralph will be forced to play differently and get it right.

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I have the same feeling, don’t know why. Maybe Ralph will be forced to play differently and get it right.

This. Hoping a forced hand reveals some positive things that would not have otherwised ever been found out.

for example?

• We discover Willy is a true upgrade over McCarthy/Forster
  • Perraud and KWP paired/playing in their natural positions is the better way to go
  • Smallbone steps up and proves he can be an any day player
  • Lycano asserts himself as a beast of a defender

will all these happen? Likely not (maybe one does?).. but it will certainly make for an interesting watch Saturday.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Confused 1

The pessimism on here must be down to the hangover from the late late Brighton equaliser. We have a decent record at the Emirates in recent years (should have easily won the last two) so no reason why we cant get a result. Yes we've a few missing but our squad has alot more depth this season and as tonight showed Arsenal can be very average at times.

Another draw I reckon with Willy picking up a debut clean sheet

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

The commentator said something about them letting another lead slip. That will be 2 teams trying their hardest to throw away a lead on Saturday then.

Yeh, apparently they've lost quite a few points from winning positions. So I make it, with our record, whoever scores first will lose.

A little bet of 1-0 at half time and 1-2 at full time - or vice versa, maybe the way to go.

I have to say, Arsenal looked poor tonight. Definitely missed Smith-Rowe. No doubt he'll be back for the weekend. Tierney picked up an injury too I think. 

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

The pessimism on here must be down to the hangover from the late late Brighton equaliser. We have a decent record at the Emirates in recent years (should have easily won the last two) so no reason why we cant get a result. Yes we've a few missing but our squad has alot more depth this season and as tonight showed Arsenal can be very average at times.

Another draw I reckon with Willy picking up a debut clean sheet

As I'm sure the TV commentators will point out, we have never won a league game at the Emirates and haven't won any of our last 26 league games at Arsenal. Surely, we can't have a worse record than that anywhere.

Edited by Nordic Saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Arsenal 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic