Saints v Newcastle (Maybe) — Build-up

SuperSAINT

13 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I guess having a game on Friday 25 ruled out a midweek game next week. But my feeling is that Newcastle are holding on to this as a banker for 3 vital points at the end of the season.

Not sure why they'd think an away game against us would be a banker for 3 points. In our current form we are one of the best sides in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Not sure why they'd think an away game against us would be a banker for 3 points. In our current form we are one of the best sides in the Premier League.

Especially as we have been a decent bogey team for them at home for years. Always look at this fixture a one of our best bets for points in any season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Assuming we are safe at the end of the season and Newcastle need something they are likely to win

I’d be interested to see a study on how often stuff like that actually plays out. Very often when a s**t team desperately needs a result against a better team they lose anyway because…. well, they’re s**t.

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d be interested to see a study on how often stuff like that actually plays out. Very often when a s**t team desperately needs a result against a better team they lose anyway because…. well, they’re s**t.

It depends on the country. Some see it as bad manners if one team desperately needs the points and the other doesn’t.

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I dunno, I think it is often the case that some teams can be ‘on the beach’ towards the end of the season when they have nothing to play for.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I dunno, I think it is often the case that some teams can be ‘on the beach’ towards the end of the season when they have nothing to play for.

Absolutely. It was the foundation for many of our great escapes in the 90s. It also got Gray the job after end of season wins against on-the-beach Arsenal and Man Utd.

Absolute f**king joke. TV games already confirmed for March, Watford home remained 3pm  Saturday as not on TV so plans made for the Sunday. 

We now play Newcastle on the Thursday night for no apparent reason (why not Wednesday?) And not move Watford to the Sunday. Neither of the games are due to be on TV, makes no sense whatsoever. 

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Absolute f**king joke. TV games already confirmed for March, Watford home remained 3pm  Saturday as not on TV so plans made for the Sunday. 

We now play Newcastle on the Thursday night for no apparent reason (why not Wednesday?) And not move Watford to the Sunday. Neither of the games are due to be on TV, makes no sense whatsoever. 

Two other games have be rearranged for that Thursday night as well, none scheduled Tuesday or Wednesday. Is that one of these crazy Champions League rules where games can’t be on the same day as them?

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Newcastle and Watford double header. 

At least it’s Newcastle first who Saints should be fresher for. Trippier out and Wilson probably still out, need to deal with ASM effectively. Watford could be the beneficiaries if Saints are tired for the Sunday. Having said, even with Trippier out medium-term, I just can’t see the other three teams getting enough points even now to overhaul them. Burnley can’t score, Dennis has dried up for Watford who just haven’t turned up at all in their recent home games when they needed fight and Norwich are not defensively tight enough. 

Edited by saint1977

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Two other games have be rearranged for that Thursday night as well, none scheduled Tuesday or Wednesday. Is that one of these crazy Champions League rules where games can’t be on the same day as them?

I don’t think so, Man Utd vs Brighton was on Tuesday, along with the CL ties. Absolute bollocks from the Premier League as usual. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Man United played on Tuesday when champions league games were on so can’t be that. Seems ridiculous it’s a Thursday for no real reason especially as it means rearranging another match to accommodate it

I expect it's what Newcastle wanted. They can stay down south for both the Chelsea and Saints games.They also have their rearranged game with Everton on a Thursday.

Saturday 5th March

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Newcastle United15:00Brighton & Hove Albion

Thursday 10th March

PREMIER LEAGUE

Sunday 13th March

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Chelsea14:00Newcastle United

Thursday 17th March

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Everton19:45Newcastle United