Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

44 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

The board do love a scapegoat. Once Jan goes it’s full throttle on Ely, then Redmond ad infinitum. Once our new players have had a few games and not scored a hat trick then they will be for the firing squad.

Some of our “fans” never learned how to support a team.

I don’t need anyone to leave before setting my throttle towards Redmond, I can give you chapter and verse on why I don’t rate him. 
By the way what’s the air like on that moral high ground you’re camping out on?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

Got to say that Jackson feels very Broja-esque (which I am sure is still a type of player we are interested in) in that he has the pace and power and can quickly turn defence into attack all on his own.  Was that rumour only social media based?

As with Benefica, Villareal feel a lot more attractive to a young player than moving to Saints, so not sure why he'd come to us right now.  I did notice that he has only just broken into their first team this season, so maybe we would see him in a similar light to Chelsea/Man City (buy their best talent from them), although as he is now in the first team perhaps that train has sailed.

I think you underestimate the pull of the Premier League. There are a couple of exceptions - Barca, Real, PSG etc., but the players we are talking about are not about to be signed by those teams. They see the spectacle that is the EPL on worldwide TV, and see players of their own standard cashing in here. They are not looking for a holiday destination, or somewhere 'nice' to retire, they want to be part of the circus!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, redder freak said:

According to Wikipedia, Bednarek has played 42 times for Poland over the last 5 years. I know Poland aren’t great and experience isn’t everything, but he is a seasoned international.

Cuco Martina is a seasoned international for Curacao. Outside of Kamil Glik (who Bednarek has played beside for most of his caps), there isnt really much competition for him at international level, hence the number of caps hes achieved

• Like 1

Any team coming in for Redmond is just going to want to loan him, with a year left on his contract. Probably suits the player too. See also Elyounoussi.

With Armstrong, different contract status but similar, no Champ team is going to chuck £10m on him. A loan could suit us if he did well again at that level but only if we sign two attacking players which there is currently no sign of.

Very difficult to offload average/poor performers who are on PL wages as there isnt a market for them in the PL or in the European leagues which can match their pay.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Whats the current situation with Redmond given his absence from last 2 games? Is he injured? Now below Walcott in the pecking order?

It is a strange one as he is alright to be fair. Would do very well in the Championship, or at somewhere like Bournemouth.  Maybe Everton or Leicester will come in for him 😆

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is a strange one as he is alright to be fair. Would do very well in the Championship, or at somewhere like Bournemouth.  Maybe Everton or Leicester will come in for him 😆

I'm surprised there hasn't been more championship interest in him. Maybe his wages are too high. 

1 hour ago, Piran said:

I think you underestimate the pull of the Premier League. There are a couple of exceptions - Barca, Real, PSG etc., but the players we are talking about are not about to be signed by those teams. They see the spectacle that is the EPL on worldwide TV, and see players of their own standard cashing in here. They are not looking for a holiday destination, or somewhere 'nice' to retire, they want to be part of the circus!

I think your overestimate the pull of SFC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He is estimating the  pull of the Premier League and we are part of it

sure, but I estimate that the pull of SFC in the Premier league is a lot less than the pull of say, Man United in the Premier League.  I don't see a starting striker at Benfica leaving them for us. Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dellman said:

He is estimating the  pull of the Premier League and we are part of it

These players also know they are more likely to get picked up by a big club from Sevilla or Villareal than they are from Saints. Bottom half PL is probably better for your short term bank balance, but unlikely (with given exceptions) to be better for your career if you're young and ambitious.

4 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

These players also know they are more likely to get picked up by a big club from Sevilla or Villareal than they are from Saints. Bottom half PL is probably better for your short term bank balance, but unlikely (with given exceptions) to be better for your career if you're young and ambitious.

You mean big teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man U, all of whom have raided our locker room to fill out their squads?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Playing for us didn't do Mane and Van Dick any harm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

You mean big teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man U, all of whom have raided our locker room to fill out their squads?

Should've made it clear I'm talking about players plotting careers towards Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG and the like. Those clubs don't tend to shop in lower level PL, for whatever reason whereas they buy from mid-Tier France, Italy and Spain all the time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

sure, but I estimate that the pull of SFC in the Premier league is a lot less than the pull of say, Man United in the Premier League.  I don't see a starting striker at Benfica leaving them for us. Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell.

All depends if we can offer more dollar I guess. Money talks.

My sis-in-law told me about a conversation she had with my nephew's agent when he was about to turn pro a couple of years ago. He asked her what his motives were - whether he wanted to play regularly and really achieve his potential or if he was happy to just get paid to sit on someone's bench somewhere. Apparently he told her that at least half of his clients didn't care where they played, didn't care if they could get CL football and didn't care if they ever won any trophies, they just want the best possible financial package he can negotiate for them.

PL is where the real money is. If we can offer Ramos a significant pay increase and no other PL teams want him, there's a good chance he will come IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

All depends if we can offer more dollar I guess. Money talks.

My sis-in-law told me about a conversation she had with my nephew's agent when he was about to turn pro a couple of years ago. He asked her what his motives were - whether he wanted to play regularly and really achieve his potential or if he was happy to just get paid to sit on someone's bench somewhere. Apparently he told her that at least half of his clients didn't care where they played, didn't care if they could get CL football and didn't care if they ever won any trophies, they just want the best possible financial package he can negotiate for them.

PL is where the real money is. If we can offer Ramos a significant pay increase and no other PL teams want him, there's a good chance he will come IMO.

I repeat an earlier post, if Ramos stays at Benfica scores 25 goals (which will be a lot easier their than at our place) then he gets a move to a much bigger side than Saints. Come to Saints and struggle to get goals this season and his career could stall. However, as you say money talks and I guess we are gonna have to pay £100k a week for a £30m player, so maybe that trumps the career path. He could after all not get those 25 goals at Benfica and then he misses out. I've changed my mind. He could well come.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

I repeat an earlier post, if Ramos stays at Benfica scores 25 goals (which will be a lot easier their than at our place) then he gets a move to a much bigger side than Saints. Come to Saints and struggle to get goals this season and his career could stall. However, as you say money talks and I guess we are gonna have to pay £100k a week for a £30m player, so maybe that trumps the career path. He could after all not get those 25 goals at Benfica and then he misses out. I've changed my mind. He could well come.

Or he could come here score 20 goals and go to a top 4 team next season. Not sure what your point is.

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more championship interest in him. Maybe his wages are too high. 

Much like Stephens, they’re an expensive transfer for a championship club. 

in fairness, you don’t often get many ‘established’ players in a PL squad dropping to the championship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Streaky said:

Or he could come here score 20 goals and go to a top 4 team next season. Not sure what your point is.

I think his point is that he doubts that Ramos will come to SFC as we are not a top team and any CF coming here is not likely to score many goals.

If he was to stay at Benfica and score goals top PL would be after him in the near future which is a position I could agree with.

He just seems to be more experienced than players we have signed in recent years who want to play in the PLto gain experience and move on

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Playing for us didn't do Mane and Van Dick any harm

Yes but in those days we had a top manager and were a top 10 PL side and pushing for Europe or may even have been in Europe which we are no longer doing.

We are a team full of kids and more likely to be relegated than get into Europe

13 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

See Regulon is being linked with a loan to Forest. 

If there's any truth to it, wonder if we would have enquired to given our defiency at FB.

Are they now replacing all their (promotion winning) replacements?!  it’d be hilarious if Forest went down after signing twenty (and counting!!) new players!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Supposedly paying him £100k a week, just for a loan...mad

Can see a real potential for a spectacular crash and burn scenario for Forest come end of season - if they're in danger of relegation at Christmas or January '23 will the Manager go?  If so, that could seal their fate as a new gaffer coming in to mend a disparate squad of almost strangers will be a really tough ask.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

12 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Should've made it clear I'm talking about players plotting careers towards Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG and the like. Those clubs don't tend to shop in lower level PL, for whatever reason whereas they buy from mid-Tier France, Italy and Spain all the time.

I get what you mean but my guess would be that lower level PL clubs have a lot more money than those from mid-tier smaller clubs in France/Spain/Italy etc, so probably less of a bargaining tool and harder negotiating with PL clubs

Still, Raphinha managed to join Barcelona this year.

Or maybe those clubs would prefer spending silly money on the likes of Camavinga, Tchouameni etc because they don't like giving money to the English clubs. I suppose a few German clubs are picking up a lot of our English players on the cheap knowing they could profit in the future. 

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Can see a real potential for a spectacular crash and burn scenario for Forest come end of season - if they're in danger of relegation at Christmas or January '23 will the Manager go?  If so, that could seal their fate as a new gaffer coming in to mend a disparate squad of almost strangers will be a really tough ask.

You're right, if they crash it will be total disaster but there is no early sign of collapse and the Forest fans are on a high anticipating 'take off' and return to glory years

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

If there's any truth to it, wonder if we would have enquired to given our defiency at FB.

I'm pretty sure they've already bought 2 left-backs already this summer. That's pretty speedy turnover to be replacing left-backs they only bought a few weeks ago and one may not even have played a game for them yet!

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

What is their strategy? They signed the guy from Bayern (Omar Richards) for £10m, he's a quality LB. 

They also signed Toffolo from Huddersfield. Their approach is starting to scream wtf.

7 minutes ago, Dellman said:

You're right, if they crash it will be total disaster but there is no early sign of collapse and the Forest fans are on a high anticipating 'take off' and return to glory years

Agree, early signs are positive however once they've played a few games and been analysed by opponents the bubble may well burst. They do look a level above Bournemouth though thanks to the spend which was clearly inevitable, but are they better than at least two other teams?  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What is their strategy? They signed the guy from Bayern (Omar Richards) for £10m, he's a quality LB. 

They also signed Toffolo from Huddersfield. Their approach is starting to scream wtf.

The club should start linking Redmond and Walcott to Forest.  They will be all over that like a rash and sign them

• Haha 1