Ruben Selles

Dusic

6 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Excellent stuff.

First time I've seen it, but how the hell did that Chelsea player not get sent off for the studs up thigh high tackle on Tall Paul?

It's even more puzzling when you consider what JWP actually did get sent off for at Stamford Bridge last season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I don't want to put too much of a dampener on the whole Selles is our saviour thing (it's great to have something positive to talk about), but Chelsea did still dominate us in the second half and we had to ride our luck to get the victory. On another day, that luck may have been out. They didn't score, and some good defending was the reason for that, but I am not sure we had a lot of `control' of the game in the second half and if the cross to Mount is six inches lower he has a free header inside the six yard box. Preventing that opportunity wasn't down to good defending, it was just our day.

That said, it's players that play the game. All the manager can do it pick the right side, give them the tactics, motivate and make good in game decisions. He seemed to get all those things right. We certainly looked an awful lot better in the first half and that victory has brought us some hope, but maybe see how we do in a few more games before we give him the job full time. He can't do worse than Jones, but let's see if he can put out the right team and tactics to beat Leeds. If players make mistakes we can then argue whether that was down to the manager picking the wrong guy or the player just being human and doing what they always do - make errors.

Question: Why didn't the board appoint Selles after Ralph? From the outside, he always seemed like the natural successor and a number 2 just waiting to become a number 1. Why didn't they believe in him?

Answer: Rasmus Ankersen

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I don't want to put too much of a dampener on the whole Selles is our saviour thing (it's great to have something positive to talk about), but Chelsea did still dominate us in the second half and we had to ride our luck to get the victory. On another day, that luck may have been out. They didn't score, and some good defending was the reason for that, but I am not sure we had a lot of `control' of the game in the second half and if the cross to Mount is six inches lower he has a free header inside the six yard box. Preventing that opportunity wasn't down to good defending, it was just our day.

That said, it's players that play the game. All the manager can do it pick the right side, give them the tactics, motivate and make good in game decisions. He seemed to get all those things right. We certainly looked an awful lot better in the first half and that victory has brought us some hope, but maybe see how we do in a few more games before we give him the job full time. He can't do worse than Jones, but let's see if he can put out the right team and tactics to beat Leeds. If players make mistakes we can then argue whether that was down to the manager picking the wrong guy or the player just being human and doing what they always do - make errors.

Question: Why didn't the board appoint Selles after Ralph? From the outside, he always seemed like the natural successor and a number 2 just waiting to become a number 1. Why didn't they believe in him?

Have to agree with you. Add the Perraud clearance off the line and to an extent, it was our day. But similarly, if AA had shown a bit more confidence/commitment, we could have had two. Even when they put up 12mins added time, our area all thought we'd hold firm.

I genuinely think the players wanted to play for NJ. The problem was they didn't know what he wanted them to do. The were running around like headless chickens from his first game. Everything was so muddled. Now it seems the players know their role. And RS has done that in a week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Have to agree with you. Add the Perraud clearance off the line and to an extent, it was our day. But similarly, if AA had shown a bit more confidence/commitment, we could have had two. Even when they put up 12mins added time, our area all thought we'd hold firm.

I genuinely think the players wanted to play for NJ. The problem was they didn't know what he wanted them to do. The were running around like headless chickens from his first game. Everything was so muddled. Now it seems the players know their role. And RS has done that in a week.

It felt a little bit like when Pochetino joined us - he almost totally transformed us in a matter of days and, after his first game in charge against Everton, you felt confident he'd continue to improve the side. Selles had the advantage of knowing the players but, the level of improvement he achieved was remarkable which has convinced me he'll continue to lift us to higher levels. Sure, there'll be disappointments and bumps in the road but isn't it refreshing to feel like there is at least some hope after the months of bleak performances.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Its not putting a dampner on things, its describing what we've seen in pretty much all of our away wins against top sides for as long as I can remember. For teams like us, we need to take our limited chances, defend extremely well and we will ride our luck at times. Spurs away last season was the last time and it was exactly the same.

Did you expect us to go away to Chelsea, who've just spent a gazillion pounds and control the game for 90 minutes? We were superb in the first half, but Chelsea were always going to come onto us in the second half and there would also come a point where we would try and preserve what we had and sit deeper. Chelsea will dominate most teams in this league for long spells at Stamford Bridge as they have the players to do so.

The most encouraging thing for me was the commitment in our defending, throwing our bodies on the line and how much it meant to make a big defensive play. That was night and day to what we've seen this season where teams waltzed through us without us even putting a glove on them

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

That is someone who has total respect of the players.

It's refreshing to see, and the players obviously love him. But...…I remember the players doing exactly the same to Jones away at Everton ( pushing him towards the crowd to get the applause). Not sure we can read too much into that, yet.

The signs are good though, he's got a great aura about him and it seems impossible not to respect him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It's refreshing to see, and the players obviously love him. But...…I remember the players doing exactly the same to Jones away at Everton ( pushing him towards the crowd to get the applause). Not sure we can read too much into that, yet.

The signs are good though, he's got a great aura about him and it seems impossible not to respect him.

That was because they’d had a bust up the day before the palace game, and Jones agreed to do what the players and Selles wanted and went to a back 4 for those 3 games. This was the first win in the league. Jones listened…and the players thought they’d turned a corner. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Ah but if Rasmus did that within the next day or two wouldn't it confirm what a lot on here appear to think that the appointment

of NJ was a massive, massive mistake?

Think that ship has sailed mate, along with Paul Allen's yacht.

7 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Bloody Multi Quote went wrong

That's one of your best posts in a long while John Boy. I doff my cap. :classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

remember the players doing exactly the same to Jones away at Everton ( pushing him towards the crowd to get the applause). Not sure we can read too much into that, yet.

Obviously see what you mean, but for me, there was a world of difference between the two.

For Mad Nate it was very much Che Adams leading that, with a little bit of encouragement from Prowsey too. For Ruben, to a man, they were all shepherding him closer and closer to our support, with Prowsey even literally shoving him as hard as he could.

There was a very different energy behind what happened with Nate to what we saw with Ruben on Saturday. This was just pure joy that someone they love and respect so much was getting the credit he deserves, and the love from the fans.

What I love sooo much about what is suddenly happening with Ruben here, is how completely organic it feels. Literally almost all of us have just completely taken to him almost instantaneously. And although a fantastic away win at Chelsea is always going to help, it is so much more than that. It is who he is. His character. His authenticity. His charisma. He comes across as so likeable and yet so professional at the same time, you cannot help but earnestly hope for the best for him.

Obviously a long way to go yet, but I would love it, just love it, if Ruben goes on to be a massive success here, and become a truly legendary figure at our Club.

A nice FA Cup win should do it Ruben! :)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dave Horseman from the B Team was helping Selles out with First Team training last week, but listening to his interview after the B Team win against West Brom last night, he sounds as if he's returned to them this week, as they prepare for their big match with Leeds at home on Friday. If so, I wonder who is helping Selles out this week? Obviously Martin, Sparkes & Gross are still there, but I would imagine Selles would need more help than that?

2 hours ago, Rivers said:

Think that ship has sailed mate, along with Paul Allen's yacht.

You missed off the second part of what I actually posted which explained what I meant, perhaps you didn't bother to read everything I posted.

"Ah but if Rasmus did that within the next day or two wouldn't it confirm what a lot on here appear to think that the appointment

of NJ was a massive, massive mistake?  I somehow get the impression that Rasmus hates to even consider that he is ever wrong

let alone actually admitting he was".

Makes a big difference doesn't it.

19 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

But it’s one game against a shit Chelsea team struggling.

Let’s see how he gets on Saturday in massive game with Leeds and new manager bounce.

Think we need to lower the expectations here on Selles until proves it over next 6 games

It’s still not a ‘shit’ Chelsea team no matter how poor they’ve been for their own standards; they have world class players all over the pitch but are just a bit disjointed atm, I wouldn’t take anything away from our performance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

That is someone who has total respect of the players.

Couldn't be any more different to the genius Jones... I just couldn't see him ever having the charisma and leadership to do anything like that.... Even QPR or the lower leagues don't want him and we appointed this lunatic as a premier league manager... Let that sink in 

The easy thing for him to say to the players after that result would be to lavish them with praise etc.

I like that he told them it's not enough and we have to do it again. That shows a person who is confident in their abilities and that they have faith in their methods. Something that was missing entirely from the Jones period.

I hope he works out for us.

• Like 1

Would you rather have Ruben Selles or Javi Gracia as your manager for these next 15 games? Interesting question ahead of this weekend.

On one hand Ruben knows our teams well and the players clearly love him. On the other hand Javi Gracia has more experience as a manager and has kept Watford up and reached a cup final before.

Personally it feels right to let Ruben have a go given his relationship with the players but I can’t help but think we are taking the bigger risk.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Personally I think Leeds just wanted a manager in place before our game due to the criticism the board was getting. I can’t believe for a second that when Marsch was sacked they would’ve wanted Gracia to replace him. He does have a decent track record though, so not saying it’s a bad appointment, but definitely feels like a ‘he’ll do’ type situation. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

You missed off the second part of what I actually posted which explained what I meant, perhaps you didn't bother to read everything I posted.

"Ah but if Rasmus did that within the next day or two wouldn't it confirm what a lot on here appear to think that the appointment

of NJ was a massive, massive mistake?  I somehow get the impression that Rasmus hates to even consider that he is ever wrong

let alone actually admitting he was".

Makes a big difference doesn't it.

Sorry mate, complete miscommunication here.

Of course, I did read all of your post. You may notice that I "liked" it too. I did not mean in any way to short your position or misrepresent what you said. I know there there has been a lot of history of that sort of shit over the years here, but I do not operate in that way. You'll never find me intentionally being a dick to anyone or trying to wind peple up.

I'm here for the camaraderie, a bit of banter when the opportunities present themselves, and hope to be a good member. I've had something of an out of the ordinary life, and so will also have some out of the ordinary perspectives and insights, that I hope will bring something a little different to the group in the way I communicate, but I only ever mean well.

With only three posts per day, I sometimes put my posts together as a sort of collage, taking a bit from here, a snip from there, to respond to together, and rather than wasting space by quoting the whole post, I just take the bit I need. In this case, I simply wanted to use that part of what you said for a bit of playful commentary, and did't mean any disrespect in taking it out of your context.

My apologies to you if it had that effect, and to everyone else for the boring explanatory post. :)

Bad Rivers.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Sorry mate, complete miscommunication here.

Of course, I did read all of your post. You may notice that I "liked" it too. I did not mean in any way to short your position or misrepresent what you said. I know there there has been a lot of history of that sort of shit over the years here, but I do not operate in that way. You'll never find me intentionally being a dick to anyone or trying to wind peple up.

I'm here for the camaraderie, a bit of banter when the opportunities present themselves, and hope to be a good member. I've had something of an out of the ordinary life, and so will also have some out of the ordinary perspectives and insights, that I hope will bring something a little different to the group in the way I communicate, but I only ever mean well.

With only three posts per day, I sometimes put my posts together as a sort of collage, taking a bit from here, a snip from there, to respond to together, and rather than wasting space by quoting the whole post, I just take the bit I need. In this case, I simply wanted to use that part of what you said for a bit of playful commentary, and did't mean any disrespect in taking it out of your context.

My apologies to you if it had that effect, and to everyone else for the boring explanatory post. :)

Bad Rivers.

Your posts are a breath of fresh air, Rivers. Keep it up.

• Like 2

There are Saints fans STILL moaning about the subs Selles made. The level of intelligence in people really does continue to astound me.

"If one or two of our lucky blocks had gone in, we'd be slating his subs"

Well... If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. FFS.

How could anyone watch that and not see our legs had completely gone up top?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Would you rather have Ruben Selles or Javi Gracia as your manager for these next 15 games? Interesting question ahead of this weekend.

On one hand Ruben knows our teams well and the players clearly love him. On the other hand Javi Gracia has more experience as a manager and has kept Watford up and reached a cup final before.

Personally it feels right to let Ruben have a go given his relationship with the players but I can’t help but think we are taking the bigger risk.

I'm not sure Saints appointing Gracia would have been met with widespread  approval, especially on here.  Selles has certainly unified the fans, and comes across very well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

There are Saints fans STILL moaning about the subs Selles made. The level of intelligence in people really does continue to astound me.

Haters got to hate 

58 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Does your aunt have balls?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I'm not sure Saints appointing Gracia would have been met with widespread  approval, especially on here.  Selles has certainly unified the fans, and comes across very well.

It goes against the new grain though.  Selles hasn't previously been fired so in that respect hasn't learnt from his mistakes.  Garcia, on the other hand, has been fired so presumably will come back stronger.

Not that I think it's one of the most mental philosophies, no sir, not at all.

Leeds say Gracia has been appointed on a "flexible contract" and will take charge of the side against Saints "subject to obtaining the necessary work permissions".

I wonder the terms of the “flexible” contract are. I’m guessing guaranteed until the end of the season then make a decision, but it’s a strange way to phrase it.

3 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Not necessarily. Keep up, bigot, ffs. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I love the guy. 

Still wonder if we really needed to rush into this decision. Lose against Leeds and leicester and we're pretty much confirmed down. 

That would be true whoever we appointed, I think the team will appreciate this - it removes uncertainty and more upheaval. I hope he stays whatever this season brings.

• Like 2

I like this. Huge vote of confidence for him ahead of tomorrow and puts the players straight on where he stands. Imagine this wouldn’t have been done without the players making it abundantly clear they want him in.

Whatever division we’re in next year, so long as we go out swinging, I’d like to see him given a good chance at it. 

Seems very pragmatic decision. Huge game tomorrow against another team hoping for the new manage bounce. I think we just got ahead of that though. 

We will see if course come 5pm tomorrow but a win and I will believe we can escape. Lose and all the momentum and good feeling from Chelsea evaporates.  

Fully behind this decision.

I guess the only conceivable negative slant anyone could come up with, in deciding to  announce it now rather further down the line, is that the players could subconsciously go into "mission accomplished - our high octane performance Vs Chelsea secured the job for Ruben - we can take our foot off the pedal a bit now" mode. 

Anyway, all good / positive IMO. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2023 at 15:00, Chez said:

Agree, pretty much said all of this post chelsea. In particular got moaned at for point out that Rasmus clearly didn't want Reuben - didn't appoint him post Ralph and tried to hire JM over him post Jones. Reality is that Rasmus obviously picked out and went on to hire Jones, and then staunchly kept him for too long... Its early days in Reuben's managerial stint and too early to truthfully say anything other than the early signs are good, but ultimately Rasmus will be appointing the next saints manager....

We've given him the job now for the season. But even if Selles does well, what do people likely think will happen come the end of the season? We seem to have a preffered candidate in line hence going for short term appointments? Another Rasmus special incoming, or law of averages he gets this one right - including keeping Selles if he performs well?

Edited by Saint86

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Fully behind this decision.

I guess the only conceivable negative slant anyone could come up with, in deciding to  announce it now rather further down the line, is that the players could subconsciously go into "mission accomplished - our high octane performance Vs Chelsea secured the job for Ruben - we can take our foot off the pedal a bit now" mode. 

Anyway, all good / positive IMO. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

That was my thought too ....................................thanks for saving me the typing 😁

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Isn't the more likely negative slant that last week was a one-off from Selles, and he turns out to not be a good manager after all? He's managed 2 first team matches in his entire career. One was a pretty poor performance against Sheffield Wednesday, one a slightly fortuitous win against a Chelsea team in bad form. I want him to do well, but it's far too early to make predictions.

Then again, making snap judgements is the accepted way in football, why should that change now 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

That was my thought too ....................................thanks for saving me the typing 😁

Ditto - hopefully though, he’s the kind of character to keep them on their toes.

Lose Saturday and no doubt they’ll be some who’ll moan “why didn’t we wait, “we’re shit again”, etc. - like everyone, I feel more positive after last weekend but still a massive job to avoid the drop even with an upturn in performance.

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Rasmus clearly didn't want Reuben

Wasn't it more a matter of timing rather than Rasmus "not wanting him" per se?

Rasmus may well have brought Selles in with a view to him taking over the reigns in a year or two and thus didn't see him as being ready when the season started to unravel with Ralph and then Jones. Whilst it's only one game admittedly, the Chelsea performance may simply have convinced Rasmus that Selles is ready earlier than he thought he was, thus all we're seeing here is Rasmus bringing the longer term succession plan forward a tad.

Dunno. I guess it's easier to take a more cynical view than that but we are where we are.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles