Russell Martin

LegalEagle

51 minutes ago, JRM said:

You always sound so bitter in your posts, what happened to give you such a chip on your shoulder? 

Yes.....it does seem that something has happened to FF. I used to find his posts interesting, constructive and knowledgable, but over the last few years he does come across as a Miserable Old Git.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Let's also not forget him assuming the role of "voice of the fans" and talking utter bollocks on our behalf back in the lowe era...

Did he actually do that intentionally? Did he state that he was the voice of all the fans? He was speaking for the Saints Trust back then, not for everyone.

The reason he was continually being interviewed was because was one of the only known fans to the media at the time because of the fact he put himself up as the spokesman for Saints Trust, plus his links with SISA and the UI and therefore the one they went to for quotes when the club was in turmoil.

There was plenty of opportunity for other fans to start a supporters group then and get their voice heard if they had wanted to.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Did he actually do that intentionally? Did he state that he was the voice of all the fans? He was speaking for the Saints Trust back then, not for everyone.

The reason he was continually being interviewed was because was one of the only known fans to the media at the time because of the fact he put himself up as the spokesman for Saints Trust, plus his links with SISA and the UI and therefore the one they went to for quotes when the club was in turmoil.

There was plenty of opportunity for other fans to start a supporters group then and get their voice heard if they had wanted to.

He got massively carried away with all the attention he was getting - I was fine with him talking on behalf of the saints trust, it was as soon as he started talking on behalf of the fans that I took exception to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Yes.....it does seem that something has happened to FF. I used to find his posts interesting, constructive and knowledgable, but over the last few years he does come across as a Miserable Old Git.

Its been like that ever since Cortese didn't recognise him as the self-appointed Club historian. Then when Cortese left and took the good times with him perhaps FF realised his mistake

• Haha 1

Fucking hell, this is ridiculous. You can’t have 40,000 people giving their opinions on TV or in the press, so they look to individuals to give a general “feel” for the fan base. I doubt any neutral watched Nick and thought he spoke for every single fucking fan, & that we all thought the same. If you’re going to have someone speaking then I doubt there are many others better qualified to do so than him. Same with FF when it comes to old players & games etc. I don’t know either bloke, & they could be right twats for all I know, but having a pop at them over the occasional media appearance is a bit ridiculous. 

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell, this is ridiculous. You can’t have 40,000 people giving their opinions on TV or in the press, so they look to individuals to give a general “feel” for the fan base. I doubt any neutral watched Nick and thought he spoke for every single fucking fan, & that we all thought the same. If you’re going to have someone speaking then I doubt there are many others better qualified to do so than him. Same with FF when it comes to old players & games etc. I don’t know either bloke, & they could be right twats for all I know, but having a pop at them over the occasional media appearance is a bit ridiculous. 

I know them both and both are men of rare integrity who would never put their interests first. They have knowledge and opinions, as do we all. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

I still do and hope he continues to make them. This forum should not be an echo chamber.  

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Maybe it’s the dross we’ve had to put up with over recent seasons? I must admit I have fallen out of love with the game somewhat. Not just Saints (that’s in the DNA), but football in general. The money men have corrupted it as a competitive sport. It’s happening in cricket too, not to mention golf. I let off a bit of steam and frustration on this forum. I apologise. 

• Like 23

39 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Maybe it’s the dross we’ve had to put up with over recent seasons? I must admit I have fallen out of love with the game somewhat. Not just Saints (that’s in the DNA), but football in general. The money men have corrupted it as a competitive sport. It’s happening in cricket too, not to mention golf. I let off a bit of steam and frustration on this forum. I apologise. 

Apologise? I don’t think you need to - forums like this are the platform to vent on and my god don’t we all deserve that after what SFC have been serving up? 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

No need to apologise FF! That’s what the forum’s for - letting off steam! I think we’ve all been jaded by recent seasons and I agree about football in general; watching City lift the CL trophy yesterday you can’t help but think of the tarnished state funding that has got them to this place. But let’s be positive and look forward to a rejuvenated Saints giving us - finally! - something to cheer next season. Keep the faith. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

TBF, I feel very much the same. I fell out of love with the game many years ago. I have little or no real interest in watching England or European competitions. I have been watching Saints since the mid 1950's  and as you say....it's in the DNA. I get more enjoyment watching Rugby (no overacting, abusing referees etc) and Speedway....when it is on TV,  than modern football. Yes, Saints since Koeman left have been depressing, to say the least, but I am a great believer in these things going in cycles, and that we are overdue an upturn.....so keep your chin up FF!

• Like 2

There's much to dislike about the top level of football, but that's only a tiny percentage of the matches that happen up and down the country each week.

Football as a sport is absolutely wonderful and creates joy for so many people from kids in the park to old guys still hacking around the lower levels of local Sunday leagues.

For those who are falling out of love with it I would suggest going to watch some local non league games. There's no less effort on the pitch (probably more in many cases) some great games and a real community feel. 

I can understand falling out of love with the game at the top level, but falling out of love with football as a whole I just don't get.

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Good. It's been ridiculous and embarrassing with this stand-off. We don't want to be looked on as the 'Tottenham of the Championship' where other clubs find dealing with us to be painful. Refusing to negotiate a settlement for Martin has meant he hasn't been able to get in and review the squad (if only on paper, I know the players are on leave). Deals are being struck around us even though not going through officially. If we really want to take a few Swansea players, we will have rubbed them up the wrong way by not looking for a negotiated settlement on Martin. I look forward to this being resolved, and I hope he can identify transfer targets quickly, then we can get them in early.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

59 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Good. It's been ridiculous and embarrassing with this stand-off. We don't want to be looked on as the 'Tottenham of the Championship' where other clubs find dealing with us to be painful. Refusing to negotiate a settlement for Martin has meant he hasn't been able to get in and review the squad (if only on paper, I know the players are on leave). Deals are being struck around us even though not going through officially. If we really want to take a few Swansea players, we will have rubbed them up the wrong way by not looking for a negotiated settlement on Martin. I look forward to this being resolved, and I hope he can identify transfer targets quickly, then we can get them in early.

We haven’t missed out on anything with regards to Martin, as you said, the squad will still be away on holiday. Scouting new players won’t be his job and the people whose job it is will have been on it for months anyway. Any deals with Swansea will be dependent on a price being negotiated with them, not how much they like us. I don’t see why they’d be upset anyway, both clubs have just stuck to their guns with regards to the negotiations. It’s not like we’ve tried anything underhand or deceiving.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We haven’t missed out on nothing with regards to Martin, as you said, the squad will still be away on holiday. Scouting new players won’t be his job and the people whose job it is will have been on it for months anyway. Any deals with Swansea will be dependent on a price being negotiated with them, not how much they like us. I don’t see why they’d be upset anyway, both clubs have just stuck to their guns with regards to the negotiations. It’s not like we’ve tried anything underhand or deceiving.

Exactly Leeds and Leicester haven’t appointed anyone yet either.

All this bed wetting when it’s been stated loads of times why it’s not done yet.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I jJust read the football league AGM is this Wednesday, so Thursday or Friday for his arrival.

It is the Premier League AGM that is relevant, not the Championship one. At the PL AGM the three relegated clubs will transfer over their Premier League certificates to the promoted sides. Although the PL state that this is a key date in the Calendar they don't actually say when it is. I thought it was actually tomorrow, but there are some reports that it was actually last week on the 8th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Bizarre. Swansea are well known to be a nightmare club, and them behaving stupidly won't influence anyone's opinion of saints other than we will not be bullied 🤷‍♂️. Also, as predicted, all that is happening is Swansea have made tits out of themselves paying his wages for an extra couple of weeks whilst he's on leave and whilst both parties wait for a formal confirmation of our relegation that they would actually accept 🙄🤣. I am actually very pleased we haven't needlessly wasted a more money when the entire squad is on holiday regardless. And if anything, RM has probably been working for us for free whilst on his own holiday.

36 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

All this bed wetting when it’s been stated loads of times why it’s not done yet.

Also this. And are there even any saint fans that are desperate to sign him? Not sure why some of our fans were be getting upset over it when its the off season and basically everyone is on holiday for a couple of weeks. Especially when 1 week before it all got delayed the fan consensus was broadly one of disappointment that he was the linked manager 😅

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Who is embarrassed? I'm not.

It's a moot point if he started 1st June or 21st June, it really doesn't matter. He knows he's got the job, and I can almost guarantee you that he's been learning all about this squad and planning exactly what's changing with the club in the background. In terms of what he can influence at Staplewood today - nothing. Players aren't missing out on critical training and learning how we want to play as they're all on holiday. We're not missing out on players as the transfer window isn't open.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Jesus wept 

The club published a statement saying the new manager would be in place at the start of pre season training.

Stop wetting your bed and wait for that date to come round...

If we have no manager in place on the day pre season starts, feel free to piss yourself to your heart's content.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Jesus wept 

The club published a statement saying the new manager would be in place at the start of pre season training.

Stop wetting your bed and wait for that date to come round...

If we have no manager in place on the day pre season starts, feel free to piss yourself to your heart's content.

When does pre-season start, it used to be around the beginning of July in the PL but for the Championship I guess it will be a week earlier?

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Bizarre. Swansea are well known to be a nightmare club, and them behaving stupidly won't influence anyone's opinion of saints other than we will not be bullied 🤷‍♂️. Also, as predicted, all that is happening is Swansea have made tits out of themselves paying his wages for an extra couple of weeks whilst he's on leave and whilst both parties wait for a formal confirmation of our relegation that they would actually accept 🙄🤣. I am actually very pleased we haven't needlessly wasted a more money when the entire squad is on holiday regardless. And if anything, RM has probably been working for us for free whilst on his own holiday.

Also this. And are there even any saint fans that are desperate to sign him? Not sure why some of our fans were be getting upset over it when its the off season and basically everyone is on holiday for a couple of weeks. Especially when 1 week before it all got delayed the fan consensus was broadly one of disappointment that he was the linked manager 😅

The earlier we sign him, the earlier we can write him off, then the earlier we can get on his back, the earlier we can pressure the board and finally the earlier we can sack him.

Quite simple and logically really

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, M271 said:

When does pre-season start, it used to be around the beginning of July in the PL but for the Championship I guess it will be a week earlier?

i don't believe they've officially announced that yet - but I'd hope the players have been told...

this article says they return back to Staplewood in 'late June' :

After reporting back to Staplewood in late June, Saints will depart on Wednesday 13th July for the lakeside resort of Velden am Wörthersee, where they will be based until Wednesday 20th July, as they step up preparations for the 2022/23 Premier League campaign.

I guess we can probably go with the last week in June??

• Like 1

Yeah, I expected that reaction from you all. OK, let's not bring anyone in until the day before the season starts. Hey, we don't want to spend even a quid more than we need to. It's called PLANNING. Failing to plan is planning to fail. 

We could have negotiated a deal for Martin plus any players we want and been friendly about it. It's not bed-wetting, it's good business practice.

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

We could have negotiated a deal for Martin plus any players we want and been friendly about it. It's not bed-wetting, it's good business practice.

Good business often isn't friendly, especially when dealing with a direct competitor.

13 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Good business often isn't friendly, especially when dealing with a direct competitor.

Anybody who thinks they'll let us have any of their better players, like Piroe, is dreaming. We'll get a couple of journeymen they aren't bothered about losing, like we did when we got Bree from Luton.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Anybody who thinks they'll let us have any of their better players, like Piroe, is dreaming. We'll get a couple of journeymen they aren't bothered about losing, like we did when we got Bree from Luton.

Yep, Swansea are definitely not a selling club, no sir.

13 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Erm Bree was rated at the time as the best RB in the league and his contract was expiring.

Luton definitely didn't want to lose him.

37 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yeah, I expected that reaction from you all. OK, let's not bring anyone in until the day before the season starts. Hey, we don't want to spend even a quid more than we need to. It's called PLANNING. Failing to plan is planning to fail. 

1980 called, asking for its cliches back....

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

We got Bree because his contract was running down and he would have left on a free (a freebree?) in the summer.

Piroe's contract is also running down. He can leave for nowt next summer.

If we want him, there's a deal to be made.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

We should be pushing the envelope here and going for the low hanging fruit going forward.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Yeah, just look at how difficult we made it for the scousers, manure, gooners to buy all our promising palyers

Exactly, we played hard ball with all those clubs, it stands to reason that others would do the same with us. I'd be more worried if Swansea didn't give a flying f**k about Martin leaving.

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Exactly, we played hard ball with all those clubs, it stands to reason that others would do the same with us. I'd be more worried if Swansea didn't give a flying f**k about Martin leaving.

Maybe they don't, and just want to squeeze as much compensation out of us as possible?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But if we take a helicopter view are we even in the right ballpark?

It doesn't really matter if we're all fishing in the same pond, under blue skies and pulling in the right direction while contemplating the lack of an "i" in team (but there is a "me").

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leeds supposedly narrow down their managerial candidates to Brendan Rodgers and Daniel Farke.

Farke, the man that knows how to get teams promoted but doesn't know how to keep them up. Still I suppose promotion is the main aim for the relegated 3 so...