Arsenal build up

whelk

I suspect, for consistency, Ralph will want to field an unchanged starting 11, especially as we have almost a full week between our first two games of the restart. That said, I'd be inclined to replace Obefemi with Long, assuming the latter is fit by then. 

I’ll be amazed if ings plays on Thursday and Sunday. 

I wonder if he’ll be rested Thursday and play the on paper more winnable game against Watford.. although arguably Arsenal is more winnable atm. 

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Smallbone for Hoj maybe. We're safe and the latter is off, so there seems little point in playing him.

Surely the point of playing him is to have our best chance of winning?

Hojbjerg is so key to how we play, we dominated Norwich in the middle and it will be a key area vs Arsenal.

As long as PEH is putting the effort in, which there is no suggestion that he is not, then he plays most games as he is a big part of our best lineup.

If we want teams to spend £35m on him then let him showcase his abilities.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Surely the point of playing him is to have our best chance of winning?

Hojbjerg is so key to how we play, we dominated Norwich in the middle and it will be a key area vs Arsenal.

As long as PEH is putting the effort in, which there is no suggestion that he is not, then he plays most games as he is a big part of our best lineup.

If we want teams to spend £35m on him then let him showcase his abilities.

Normally I’d agree, we want our best chance of winning but if money is tight and we’re going to be relying on Smallbone in a relegation fight next season, I’d rather he got a run of games practice now.

We might have got £35m if he had three years left on his contract but he doesn’t. We’ll be lucky to get half of that I reckon. Also, we don’t need to showcase his talents, he’s been playing in this league for four years now. His would be suitors are well aware if his talents, another 8 games won’t make any difference.

3 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Djenepo not being mentioned for next game, is he still not available?. 

It's a three game ban for a violent conduct red. Will be back on the 5th of July against city, missing Arsenal and Watford in the mean time.

I’m guessing Sideshow Bob will be back in contention as a second yellow is only a one game ban so that’s gone, and Arse are on the bones of their backsides at the back. Ampadu could be in a spot of bother though.

Just got to beat them 8-0 and we’ll be above them 🤪

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Obafemi played pretty well.

He was poor, real lack of end product and decision making was awful after making some promising runs.

Replace with Long if he is ok. Arsenal there for the taking. Got to watch out for Lacazette & Aubameyang, they link well and have great movement, we were pulled apart a few times against Norwich and if we give the same chances away against Arsenal we will concede a couple.

Going for 2-2.

• Confused 1

With only five weeks planned for the close season. Two weeks off for the players and three weeks training we can gain time for next season.

Personally I'd rather we put the marker down of beating 46 points (beating the Puel season) before we go there.

We have the luxury of 6 days to plan for Arsenal, so I think we will be majorly the same except for Long for Obafemi.

We'll see more changes before Watford.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

He was poor, real lack of end product and decision making was awful after making some promising runs.

Replace with Long if he is ok. Arsenal there for the taking. Got to watch out for Lacazette & Aubameyang, they link well and have great movement, we were pulled apart a few times against Norwich and if we give the same chances away against Arsenal we will concede a couple.

Going for 2-2.

Was involved in the build up to the first goal and assisted the second !?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Going for 2-2.

A bit unfair on Obafemi. I agree his decision-making wasn't great, but he made Redmond's goal.

10 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I’m guessing Sideshow Bob will be back in contention as a second yellow is only a one game ban so that’s gone, and Arse are on the bones of their backsides at the back. Ampadu could be in a spot of bother though.

Just got to beat them 8-0 and we’ll be above them 🤪

Ooops drinking - talking golf and posting - got my wild haired players mixed up - Guendouzi should by rights be missing on Thursday 

Apologies one and all.

8-0 win still stands 

(where does golf come into it - trying to re book a trip to The Vale in South Wales when we were there in October Welsh team were staying there Ampadu was skipping down the car park like a little kid, quite funny to watch.............Bale can carry on up his backside) 

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Ooops drinking - talking golf and posting - got my wild haired players mixed up - Guendouzi should by rights be missing on Thursday 

Apologies one and all.

8-0 win still stands 

(where does golf come into it - trying to re book a trip to The Vale in South Wales when we were there in October Welsh team were staying there Ampadu was skipping down the car park like a little kid, quite funny to watch.............Bale can carry on up his backside) 

Definitely drinking as it was luiz who got red carded and it was straight red so out of saints game 

3 hours ago, Shroppie said:

A bit unfair on Obafemi. I agree his decision-making wasn't great, but he made Redmond's goal.

i believe RH was telling him to look up more, and if you look at our third goal that is exactly what he does and picks out Redmond. We should all remember he's not the finished article but signs like that are promising and that he's learning.

34 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Definitely drinking as it was luiz who got red carded and it was straight red so out of saints game 

I thought that was second yellow = red. For Luiz so that’s only one game - I stand to be corrected (now the drink has long passed)

Guendouzi should be retrospectively done because what he did to Maupay was a good hour after the event that sparked it and the final whistle........but then the FA are so spineless they couldn’t do anything about Zaha visibly poking JWP in the eye - if that’s not raising your hands to an opposition players face??

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I thought that was second yellow = red. For Luiz so that’s only one game - I stand to be corrected (now the drink has long passed)

Guendouzi should be retrospectively done because what he did to Maupay was a good hour after the event that sparked it and the final whistle........but then the FA are so spineless they couldn’t do anything about Zaha visibly poking JWP in the eye - if that’s not raising your hands to an opposition players face??

For a non-violent "professional" foul its only a 1 match ban.

However, it was his 2nd red card of the season, so he gets a 2nd game off.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Early days for sure but Arteta doesn't seem be the right fit at all for Arsenal, just can't see him lasting beyond this season.

It will be embarrassing if we don't beat them after Brighton's home success at the weekend.

They don't have the squad capable of doing a great deal at the moment. Bunch of weak kids, poor losers and distracted players looking for their next big move. I think any manager would struggle at that joint, so much work is needed.

It certainly wouldn't be embarrassing should we lose to them though. They're still on a different level to us, so any result will be a positive to me.

I've just had a glass of wine with my Sunday dinner, so in a spirit of relaxed flippancy, and with the idea stimulated by reading the MBM report on tonights game, what sound effects should we have at St Marys for this game? Our most impressive feature is when we get the whole ground singing OWTS, so surely they must have a recording of that to hear once or twice?

10 hours ago, suewhistle said:

sound effects should we have at St Marys for this game? Our most impressive feature is when we get the whole ground singing OWTS, so surely they must have a recording of that to hear once or twice?

For the authentic experience it should be on constant repeat. So that's the 'crowd noise' definitely switched off for me then.

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Why are we going to have to do that? 

Indeed, Ings name will be the first on the team sheet at least until we're clearly safe. He's fit, in form and hungry - he sounds like he can't wait for the next match to come along.

He'll probably run himself into the ground over the next few weeks securing needed points but he doesn't need rest right now.

9 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Due to a Friday, Thursday, Sunday schedule, I can see us resting him against Arsenal so he is rested for Sunday. 

Why are you replying to an arsenal build up thread talking about him being rested? I assumed you wrre discussing the arsenal game.