• Romeu
    • Smallbone
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Ings
    • Armstrong
    • Adams

• Lighthouse pinned, locked and unlocked this topic

Well I didnt see that win coming. Brilliant performance. I know everyone will give Ings MoM, and he was excellent, but, and I cant believe Im going to say this, but Id give it to Vestergaard. Was rock solid. I also really like Che Adams. I think hes a great all rounder.  I just hope he comes good.

• Like 2

Best performance of the 3 restart games by far.

Smallbone looking decent.

Also a good cameo from Adams. 

Is it too soon to dig out the December forum posts from the "happy to be wrong" brigade, just for a bit of a chortle? ;)

1 minute ago, Hawkswood said:

Well I didnt see that win coming. Brilliant performance. I know everyone will give Ings MoM, and he was excellent, but, and I cant believe Im going to say this, but Id give it to Vestergaard. Was rock solid. I also really like Che Adams. I think hes a great all rounder.  I just hope he comes good.

Agree Vesty was the right CB against this opposition. Suited him perfectly. 

Great show by the boys... Great win...COYS

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

Great shift from everyone today fully deserved three points. Why can't we play like that at home?! 

Seems like a mental block. Doubt it’s the fans.

We seem to be too tentative with the ball opting to go back due to worrying about losing the ball and getting caught on the break. That seems to have us sitting deeper with a big no-man’s land in midfield where we chase shadows. 

Smallbone was superb today, always looking to move the ball forward quickly.

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Best performance of the 3 restart games by far.

Smallbone looking decent.

Also a good cameo from Adams. 

Is it too soon to dig out the December forum posts from the "happy to be wrong" brigade, just for a bit of a chortle? ;)

Those lot don’t post here anymore...

Couldn’t pick a poor performance from any player to be fair. Think that’s our best line up. Bednarek unlucky...that type of position has happened to better CB’s, but I wonder whether McCarthy was talking to him. Ings and JWP had great stand out games. JWP looked twice the player Valery is and needs to be our no.1 RB. Smallbone is starting to look the real deal too.

Why the hell can we not do that at home?

I was happy to see no gray or Welbeck in the starting lineup. Bednarek and Vestergaard felt well suited to dealing with Deeney.

Ings again suberb again. Just hope the club don't sell him this summer because he's bound to generate interest.

Real shame adams didn't get his goal. The turn though, a sign it might be worth persevering with him.

Our turn to have a keeper throw in an off day. What was with foster's wall for that free kick, making it easy for Ward-prowse, coupled with miscued throw.

Our jeckyll and hyde form is bizarre.

Didn’t expect that but fully deserved.......Vestegaard played well as did Ingsy but I really enjoyed KWP. Effectively on trial and his stock would have risen today.  Adams had a great little cameo and unlucky with his strike. Let’s all enjoy the victory. 

• Like 1

Predictions for our remaining fixtures:

05-07-2020        Southampton    vs    Manchester City    L
09-07-2020        Everton    vs    Southampton    W
13-07-2020        Manchester United    vs     Southampton    W
15-07-2020        Southampton    vs    Brighton    L
18-07-2020        Bournemouth    vs    Southampton    W
26-07-2020        Southampton    vs    Sheffield United    L

Excellent performance, wasn’t a weak performance there. Vest did well v Deeney, Bed unlucky with the OG, both full backs good and KWP big improvement on Valery who needs experience in Champ/L1 next season to toughen up and professionalise. Midfield more mobile without Hoj, JWP terrific and first to every ball, FK icing on the cake. Would have been MOTM but for Ings, looks like a £50m plus player. Was so willing Che to score, quality when he came on. Redmond very unlucky to his the post. Really enjoyed watching that. 

Really good performance. Clinical in fact, which is something you don't often associate with us. Even Vestergaard played well, although that's the sort of strike force he's better against. Might be different up against faster, more skilfull players.

Moving on I'd play Walker-Peters and Smallbone in every match and give Adams game time over Obafemi as possible.

• Like 2

Great win. Only the 3rd time we've scored 3 all season and 2 of them have been post lockdown. Ings is just far too good for us, inevitable that better teams will be in for him and who could be surprised or blame him if he wants to go. Hopefully it'll be a Vardy situation and he won't.

• Like 1

To me, Adams looks much better than Obafemi. He plays with his head up, looks better at holding up the ball and has better movement. Obafemi seems more physical but I think Che is the better all round player. A goal will really settle him I think.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 4

Staggered by how much confidence we played with today. So impressive. Ings' control and first touch is as good as any striker in the top flight, and it's hard not to be hugely impressed with what we've got in Smallbone: hopefully they can keep hold of him. For the rest of the season, I'd like to see Vestegaard and Adams given extended runs in the XI to see if they can cut it at this level. Perhaps a few of us were too quick to judge Vestegaard?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Hmmmm. Vest actually played very well 2nd half but looked his usual ropy self in the first half with headers pinging in the opposite direction to that intended. He did alright but to suggest he was better than Ings is utter nonsense imho. Anyway who gives a fuck we won again, C'MON!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Excellent win. Good response to the disappointment v Arsenal. Ingsy clinical and KWP looked decent. Certainly earned a run in the team. Felt for Adams with the chance not going in but still think there's a player there. Good stuff. Onto City now...

Yeah, he did well there to carve out the chance and unlucky for it not to go in. 

Great performance by everyone,  no weak links across the team. KWP was outstanding , and whilst Danny was brilliant, I have JWP as my MoM. He was everywhere, first to any loose ball and led the team by example.

Encore svp.

A very classy performance against a Watford team, which, let's not forget, beat Liverpool 3-0. I've been a big critic of Vestergaard in the past but I'm very happy to revise  my opinion of him. Today he gave an almost flawless performance. He won everything in the air, made good interceptions and his passing was excellent. If not for the brilliant Ings playing like a world class striker, Vestergaard would have deserved Man of the Match. Walker-Peters has secured that right back spot and what a free-kick that was from Ward-Prowse!

That was a solid, well disciplined performance.

McCarthy - 7, KWP - 8, Vestergaard - 9, Bednarek - 8, Bertrand - 8, Romeu - 8, JWP - 8, Smallbone - 7, Redmond - 7,  Long - 7, Ings - 9.

Both Armstrong and Adams played very well when they came on. Personally I'd start Adams against Man City. We have nothing to lose and if he manages to bag a goal his confidence should rocket.

A very solid and entertaining performance from the lads today. Hard to criticise any of them and praise all round. Bednarek is excused the own goal and it was just one of those balls across the face of the goal that needed him to attempt a clearance, but very easy to get wrong. Smallbone put in a good shift and Hasenhuttl timed Armstrong coming on to replace him at a good time, where Watford were in the ascendancy and his fresh legs and forward threat changed the balance again in our favour.  Vestergaard had a really good match alongside Bednarek and Kyle W-P put in a good shift with Bertrand out wide. Romeu also replaced Hojbjerg well as the other selection change and the team played well as unit all over the pitch.

Two great goals from Ings puts him in the frame for the golden boot for the season, only one goal behind Vardy, and J W-P produced a stunning goal from a free kick which left Foster rooted to his spot. Redmond also hit the post, and Adams came close to his very first goal for us in the PL . I hope that Hasenhuttl gives him some more match time, now that we are absolutely safe, although it isn't impossible with a few more wins that we could grab an 8th place entry into Europe. More play like this, less play like at Arsenal, and it just could be a long shot chance.

• Like 1

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

Anyone else notice Smallbone receiving the ball on the half turn and pressing forward before providing the pass for Ings' first? In the same situation, Hoj would probably have knocked it back where it came.

Yes, it was clearly Smalbone's assist for that goal.