• JWP
    • Romeu
    • Smallbone
    • Redmond
    • Long
    • Ings
    • Armstrong
    • Adams

Excellent performance. Looked a proper side today. Lads that came in played well, particularly the young full back. Bertrand class today & ward prowse looked better with OR in with him.

Don’t know how we managed to keep calm without PEH’s palms down signals. Surprisingly we knew where to pass without him pointing it out as well. 

As well as Vestergaard played, they played right into his hands, not sure I really want him in against city. 

1 minute ago, redder freak said:

Pick TV seems to suit Saints.

Our 2 best performances have been watched by a nationwide TV audience. With ours being the only Premier League game today, I wonder what the viewing figures were like? I'm sure that as well as our fans, Watford's and the neutrals, every Pompey fan out there would have been watching and hating it. That own goal must have raised their hopes for a brief moment. It's the hope that gets them.

Pretty pissed off after that,  would've been a brilliant away day. Everybody put a shift in today,  we were good all across the park so I'm not bothering with the motm vote.  Keep this level of effort and intensity for the rest of the games and I'll be happy. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I just do not understand why we are a completely different side away from home. 

Good result all the same. 

Hopefully now we are sure we can relax we'll play well at home, especially if it isn't 31c.

Ings will obviously get the headlines but there were lots of good performances. The whole back four was dominant, Bertrand v clever vs Sarr and KWP assured.

JWP is class and a very consistent performer now.

Armstrong and Adams made a great impact from the bench which made a big difference.

Two comfortable away wins in a row, even vs poor opposition, shows our progress. I reckon under MP and MH we barely had a comfortable league win in 18 months.

We are just epic away from home, really, really good. We press well, break well and genuinely disrupt a home teams tactic through our press. It really is executed perfectly away from home, we're just not getting it quite right at home yet.

Don't really need to say much more about Ings, It's pretty clear that he's one of the best strikers in this country and we're very lucky to have someone of his level with us. Top 4 player without a doubt.

Really impressed with Romeu's impact today, I thought he read the game superbly and used the ball sensibly - he was back to the Romeu I remembered under Koeman, just keeping it simple but using his intelligence to pickup the right area's of the pitch.

Credit to Vesterguard too - I thought that was a good pairing up against Deeney, they had him for dinner all afternoon to be honest. Food and drink for them. Not going to moan about the OG as there was nothing Jan could have done really, had he left it Welbeck would have tapped it in - he had to try and do something.

I really enjoy JWP's performances away from home, he dictates the tempo for us now days and keeps things ticking - he covers so much ground it's insane, I'm sure he's going to be up amongst the highest on distance covered at the end of the weekend?

Adams came on and did finally make an impact I felt, he's just rusty as hell. He did so well to get through but wasn't clinical enough with the finish. Really hope he gets a goal before the end of the season, it's like a chain around his neck at the mo.

KWP is like 10 levels up from Valery in ability and quality, I don't know what we do with Valery to be honest....loan to L1 and see how that pans out? But yeah, KWP until the end of the season and then see how he does. It's the first real look I've had of him since he's been here and he was pretty tidy.

Let's just finish with as many points as we can and hopefully we can get some decent results at home before the season is out!

Edited by S-Clarke

Excellent performance all round. Have to be careful not to go overboard as Watford were weakened and a bit all over the place. City, Everton, and Utd next. Not expecting much from that lot. However could ask no more.

As someone posted earlier Ings is in imperious form. There will be serious money for him, if there is a gap in a suitable team. Has to be a top 6 side, and unless Kane is sold I can't see the other sides being interested. He says hopefully.

I think JWP is a more likely target. He really is crucial to us now. Good thing it's a short transfer window.

44 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

To me, Adams looks much better than Obafemi. He plays with his head up, looks better at holding up the ball and has better movement. Obafemi seems more physical but I think Che is the better all round player. A goal will really settle him I think.

Yup, totally agree with this

A few here are mentioning Bertrand. I agree, was excellent today, both defensively and offensively. 

I’ve been critical of him in the past in games where he seems to just go through the motions but today he looked well up for it and was making those overlapping runs that were so effective in his early days with Saints.

Edited by OttawaSaint

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

A few here are mentioning Bertrand. I agree, was excellent today, both defensively and offensively. 

I’ve been critical of him in the past in games where he seems to just go through the motions but today he looked well up for it and was making those overlapping runs that were so effective in his early days with Saints.

I think he looks fitter tbh, so do a lot of our players to be honest.

Certainly one of the fitter teams from this restart.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Good win and performance. Vestergaard had his best game in a Saints shirt. 

Good cameo from Adams, unlucky not to score.

Yeah, time to give Che another run in the team in place of Long imo, now we're safe.

Positive performance against a niggly  physical side and Vestergaard had Deeney in his pocket. Che Adams will come good and I love the way he keeps his head and gets stuck in. See what happens when you discard crab football? Outstanding all round today. Next up Man City and although it’s at St Mary’s we have continue to be as physical as we can because City players don’t like it up ‘em 🥃🥃🥃 Cheers lads.

50 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Still believe that Adams will come good. Would be disappointed if he goes because he feels like he has a role to play.

And me. I've always felt he looks like a decent player and it just hasn't really fallen for him. I'm confident there's a good chance he can come good and contribute. It surely can't be that difficult to get a better scoring rate than someone like long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

We are just epic away from home, really, really good. We press well, break well and genuinely disrupt a home teams tactic through our press. It really is executed perfectly away from home, we're just not getting it quite right at home yet.

Don't really need to say much more about Ings, It's pretty clear that he's one of the best strikers in this country and we're very lucky to have someone of his level with us. Top 4 player without a doubt.

Really impressed with Romeu's impact today, I thought he read the game superbly and used the ball sensibly - he was back to the Romeu I remembered under Koeman, just keeping it simple but using his intelligence to pickup the right area's of the pitch.

Credit to Vesterguard too - I thought that was a good pairing up against Ings, they had him for dinner all afternoon to be honest. Food and drink for them. Not going to moan about the OG as there was nothing Jan could have done really, had he left it Welbeck would have tapped it in - he had to try and do something.

I really enjoy JWP's performances away from home, he dictates the tempo for us now days and keeps things ticking - he covers so much ground it's insane, I'm sure he's going to be up amongst the highest on distance covered at the end of the weekend?

Adams came on and did finally make an impact I felt, he's just rusty as hell. He did so well to get through but wasn't clinical enough with the finish. Really hope he gets a goal before the end of the season, it's like a chain around his neck at the mo.

KWP is like 10 levels up from Valery in ability and quality, I don't know what we do with Valery to be honest....loan to L1 and see how that pans out? But yeah, KWP until the end of the season and then see how he does. It's the first real look I've had of him since he's been here and he was pretty tidy.

Let's just finish with as many points as we can and hopefully we can get some decent results at home before the season is out!

Was going to post. You've saved me the bother. Cheers. :)

2 hours ago, jamesfp1 said:

'Operation: Get Che a goal' is now in effect.

Think that was evident as the clock ran down, even Ings was hanging back trying to feed him.

Liked the look of KWP - he looks like you could just pop him in your pocket, but against Watford’s monsters totally un-phased and always looking forward tidy player on today’s performance if Spuds want to swap him for PEH, crack on.

Romeu looked tidy today no frills just simple stuff breaking up play giving JWP freedom instead of having to show for PEH.

Sorry but Redmond drives me up the wall, Armstrong gets the ball drives forwards Redmond in the same spot on the pitch is like a Super Tanker trying to execute a handbrake turn.........maybe that’s just me. 

Anyway what a treat to see another win on the road nailed and 40 points with games to play,

We outclassed Norwich and Watford, but we had a poor first half against Arsenal. The two horrific errors - and the loss - obscured the fact that we actually played very well in the second half.

This looks like a team where everyone seems to enjoy playing with eachother, and the movement off the ball was excellent. The triangles are set almost instantly - far less of this standing around waiting for someone else to do something. There's interchangeability at the back, in the middle and up front. Smallbone looked good, Vestergaard was outstanding, KWP can solve a longstanding problem, and Adams looked like the player I hoped we were getting. And JWP is developing rapidly as both a player and a leader.

It just feels like Ralph is building to a new level, and a lot of the key guys have bought into it.

• Like 2

Didn't expect that. Thought it was a well executed performance.

Why can't we play like that at home? Some consistency would be nice. I'm tired of seeing us do that one week and then play like we did against Arsenal the next. 

Imagine if we got 9 or 12 points from out last 6 games. That's would a superb finish to the season. Hard to believe that this is the same team that got dicked 9-0 at home by Leicester. 

Fair play to Ralph for turning things around. I think we all thought we were dead and buried after that performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Getting to 50 points should be the target now and would be an excellent result considering where we were around November. 

Might be a bit optimistic given the team's we've got left to play now, City and United obviously won't be easy, and we all know what we're like against Everton.  After that though would really want to see wins against both our South coast rivals.  One thing that has pissed me off are some of the teams that have done the double over us this season,  West Ham, Burnley,  Newcastle, so would really love to finish with another win over Sheffield United.  But 50 points is probably a little optimistic methinks. 

Edited by Micky

Absolutely perfect away performance today. Ralph got the tactics spot on today! The changes he made for the game and during worked a treat. Weve broken our record for most away wins in a season :) now hopefully we can sort our home form out and like people say above target 50 points for the season. Everyone played great today, 2 great goals from Ings - we are so lucky to have him as he is a level above. Prowsey's freekick was top draw too! Great cameos from Stuart and Che too - I was willing Che to score and you can see hes working so hard, it will come for him :) onto City now!

Edited by davefizzy14

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he looks fitter tbh, so do a lot of our players to be honest.

Certainly one of the fitter teams from this restart.

Agree, I thought in particular Romeu looked slimmer and sharper than he has done in the past, and his performance was sharper too! I am always happy to see him in the team and doing well.

Hugely enjoyable watch with three great goals to delight in.  So many good performances from Saints - Ings' strikes superb; midfield pairing of Romeu and WP very good; I thought Romeu showed he can well and truly play Ralphs system and he can also pick out a pass.   Both full backs good and KWP has certainly shown himself to be the permanent RB.    Fair play to both CBs, Vestergaard in particular commanding v Deeney all day.   I think Che Adams showed in that cameo that he must be given more opportunities to further impress.

Great 3 points and that should be that for the season.

We really are a bit of an enigma though.

5th in the away form table (2 points from 2nd place) yet bottom of the home form table.

Link

What is it about home games? Is the pressure getting to the players?

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

The more I see Ingsy's interception the more incredible it looks.

Only a player on form could have done this.

ingsy.png

A year or so ago, that probably causes a pulled hamstring. Shows the immense improvement in his physical condition in that time :thumbup:

Doubt we will get much from Man City (H) and Man Utd (A) but it would be good to see us get a result at our hoodoo ground (Goodison Park)

Dont know what to think about Bournemouth away.

Part of me wants to see them relegated so we are the only local team in the Prem.

However a more major part has a soft spot for Bournemouth and  would like to see West Ham relegated.

Unexpected, albeit we lucked out with them having the Covid ban on three players. Great result. Totally safe. Brilliant job by Ralph and the club. Smallbone looks a great prospect. Sell Hojberg and invest in another CB and possibly keeper. Very happy.

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Doubt we will get much from Man City (H) and Man Utd (A) but it would be good to see us get a result at our hoodoo ground (Goodison Park)

Dont know what to think about Bournemouth away.

Part of me wants to see them relegated so we are the only local team in the Prem.

However a more major part has a soft spot for Bournemouth and  would like to see West Ham relegated.

If West Ham stay up it’ll be largely down to the 6 points we gave them and 0 to Norwich, Watford and Villa, which is annoying.

No "if only's", this was a superb team performance and suddenly anything seems possible. Isn't it great to see the new found team spirit and everyone playing with a smile on their faces? Amazing what self belief can do. Perhaps contract renewal time and shop windows might also have had a little to do with it.

Of course Danny Ings was the star of the show but what great performances from our fringe players, Romeu, Vestergaard & Walker-Peters who totally eclipsed their rivals for positions Hojberg, Stevens & Valery.

We looked a much better balanced and more skilful side with this line-up and Ralph must think carefully before he even considers reverting to his preferred line up.

Oriol Romeu has always seemed to me to be an indispensable part of our team, I've never really understood why he isn't a first team regular and yesterday he showed what a huge loss he would be if he were to leave. OK, OK, sometimes he can be a car crash waiting to happen but his performance yesterday showed that he can be committed but disciplined which shows how players can iron out their mistakes. Just give him a new two-year contract Ralph.

How impressive was Walker-Peters, surely we will sign him on full time as part of a Hojberg deal? Lets face it who could we get that's any better for the sort of small change that we are likely to have to spend in August. He also comes across as a very likeable lad. 

Danny Ings may well win the golden boot and get called up for England. Both events scare the poo out of me, I cannot see our owners - greedy & skint - turning down offers of £80+m even if the lad loves it here. People are starting to take notice of us again and that can only lead to troubles ahead. Maybe we are OK for next season but just suppose Ralph breaks into the top six.

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Still believe that Adams will come good. Would be disappointed if he goes because he feels like he has a role to play.

I dont expect him to go, I would be very disappointed if so.

The way Ralph was so disappointed when his chance didnt go in showed to me that he is very much keen on him.

It was also nice to see Nathan tell him to keep him chin up. 

I thought that our central defenders would be outmuscled and bullied like they did against WHam ,Burnley etc but they stood up and did the right things. Well done.

The first 10-15 it was really frantic and scrappy but all of a sudden we started to play fluid football and then the goal came. I the 2nd half it was annoying that we were under pressure and kept launching the ball that gave them possession again. Once Armstrong came on he seemed to calm it a bit and we gained control again

17 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

That was a solid, well disciplined performance.

McCarthy - 7, KWP - 8, Vestergaard - 9, Bednarek - 8, Bertrand - 8, Romeu - 8, JWP - 8, Smallbone - 7, Redmond - 7,  Long - 7, Ings - 9.

Both Armstrong and Adams played very well when they came on. Personally I'd start Adams against Man City. We have nothing to lose and if he manages to bag a goal his confidence should rocket.

You/re not an exam moderator by any chance, Harry? Why deduct 1 mark from Ingsies imperious performance? What bit wasn't perfect on this occasion?

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

The more I see Ingsy's interception the more incredible it looks.

Only a player on form could have done this.

ingsy.png

The really good thing about that is that it shows he doesn't have a mental block in trusting his leg again as well. That alone is utterly incredible considering what he's been through.

I wonder if his bet with Salah is running again this season over which one will score more? It'd be an amazing achievement if Ings gets the Golden Boot, even more so without taking any penalties.

18 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

I just do not understand why we are a completely different side away from home. 

Good result all the same. 

spitballing here,  but could it be that when we play away, he opposing home teams try to play out from the back more and that is exactly what our pressing game needs to be effective. AT home opposing away teams play safer and maybe longer, which means they don't get caught in possession in their own third of the pitch very often. 

19 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

To me, Adams looks much better than Obafemi. He plays with his head up, looks better at holding up the ball and has better movement. Obafemi seems more physical but I think Che is the better all round player. A goal will really settle him I think.

Good points mush. I fully agree.

I wonder if Ralph trusts Obafemi more with the off the ball side of his game plan.

It seems that since December Adams gets chucked on as a sub a fair bit ahead of Obafemi, but whenever Long is out injured it's Obafemi who gets the nod to start.