• Own goal
    • Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

Has all the defensive attributes to be one of the best around but seemingly not the attitude to back it up.

Sad that his time with us ended on a sour note, you only have to read the club statement on his departure to know that he won't be missed by them.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Sad that his time with us ended on a sour note, you only have to read the club statement on his departure to know that he won't be missed by them.

The statement by the club regarding Lallana’s move to Liverpool was just one sentence if I remember correctly. Something along the lines of: ‘Adam Lallana has completed his move to Liverpool football club’.

Good luck to him. It feels like a very long time ago now that he had the entire Man City attack in his back pocket. But then he isn't the only Saint whose form/attitude dropped off a cliff last season. I'm sure there is still a very good player in there who can/will flourish under the right coaching and management. Just a shame it's not going to be with us, but at least his sale means we've finally freed up one of the CB slots and can look at signing a replacement now.

• Like 2

Terrible attitude and mindset for someone who was playing on a dust patch in Ghana until he was about 20. 

Has the raw attributes to play at the very top, will probably do well at Monaco, but not the type we need. Good riddance, lets hope we have a decent sell on % for him. 

4 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

There is a talented centre back in there but too raw and we certainly haven't had the coaching quality to address that.

Over-riding memory will be his seeming addiction to sliding into tackles when an attacker was going towards the by-line and giving away a penalty 

Tbf, if Nathan Jones couldn't get the best out of him, who could 🤣

• Haha 4

Glad this is done: seemed to develop a real shitty attitude which we definitely don't need.

A bit of a shame things didn't work out though: thought he could have been excellent for us. Certainly seemed to have the attributes and early last season there were indications that he could have formed a very solid partnership with ABK.

Decent fee: let's go shopping!!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Have we ever got to the bottom of why he was late starting to play for Saints after signing? There were months of radio silence from the club.

for whatever reason, he had the knack of disappearing!

Can see why the club signed him. Had most of the ingredients to be a top level centre back. It was a good punt at that price and we made a profit. Some turn out worldies, some fail, and some end up just about good enough. The latter feels closest. Got some very good games out of him. But also not fussed that he is gone. Didn't stand up for most of last season and went missing both on the pitch and off it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Terrible attitude and mindset for someone who was playing on a dust patch in Ghana until he was about 20. 

Has the raw attributes to play at the very top, will probably do well at Monaco, but not the type we need. Good riddance, lets hope we have a decent sell on % for him. 

"Oh yessum Master Dman, forget the talent that I have, that is far superior to yours, I should be more grateful and my perceived attitude stinks as it was not long ago that I was learning my craft on a dust patch in primitive Ghana, yessum master, stripe me again."

Dick.

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Fab saying €15m, Sky saying €20m. Blackmore saying €20m total. Could be €15m plus €5 in add ons. Either way it’s more than the €12 we paid for him.

Transfermakt has it as €15m. I think they often seem to use the figure Fab does.

Sky don't have a clue. 

Not sure about Blackmore. 

12 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Clearly over the fucking moon!

Monaco Swoop For Mohammed Salisu As Axel Disasi Nears Chelsea Move |  Football News

That’s one hell of a squad number 😂Is he going to need six months to adjust like Ralph said he needed here.

Those first months with him were a fucking con job of the highest.

Cant verify this but was told at the time he wanted out almost immediately after signing and sulked for ages.

• Confused 1

Just now, northam soul said:

That’s one hell of a squad number 😂Is he going to need six months to adjust like Ralph said he needed here.

Those first months with him were a fucking con job of the highest.

Cant verify this but was told at the time he wanted out almost immediately after signing and sulked for ages.

It was an odd period, but nobody forced him to sign the contract! Would be a bit odd if he immediately wanted out.

Such a bizarre one. Early days I was convinced we had another VVD on our hand, he was an absolute ball magnet. No clue what actually went on behind the scenes but all the conjecture seems to be indicative of a player who couldn't get his head right to reach his clear potential in his time with us. I do wonder if we'll ever get the full story of what went on for him.

Hopefully we've included a sell on and he reaches his potential at Monaco.

2 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I wonder how his salary at Monaco compares to the offer Saints made awhile back, but he refused to sign…? Because he believed he was too good for us….!

French TV money isn't great so it tends to be the European teams who can afford to pay a bit more, which isn't Monaco next year, so can't see him being on huge wages

All in all he's been a let down, and glad he's fucked off, delighted we've got some £ for him as well.

Didn't settle, and early days surrounded in mystery, bookended by a dubious and suspect absence when we needed players to stand up. Attitude, or fragile mentality we don't know. 

Final point on Salisu though is reserved for those who brought him to the club. 

Rumoured alternatives for CB, Axel Disasi went to Monaco (and now joining Chelsea c£35-40m). Botman went to Lille for less than we paid for Salisu.

Great scouting and recruitment by whoever. 

This will go down as one of our weirdest ever players, in my opinion. The start of his time here was just plain weird, there was no sensible explanation for it. He might have had an injury, but we didn't even get a player interview or unveiling. 

He probably had a handful of really good games in his time here, Man City sticks up there - but ultimately he was incredibly erratic in all aspects of his game. His fitness was questionable, but more so for me has been his commitment to the cause. It's plainly obvious he downed tools last year, and you don't need bad eggs like that around the place.

To make a profit on a player with just 1 year left is a great bit of a business by the club. Surprised he got such a glamorous move to be honest, it'll be interesting to see how he does - raw ability wise he has the tools, but he has a Lemina attitude about him which will probably mean he becomes a bit of a journeyman.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This will go down as one of our weirdest ever players, in my opinion. The start of his time here was just plain weird, there was no sensible explanation for it. He might have had an injury, but we didn't even get a player interview or unveiling. 

He probably had a handful of really good games in his time here, Man City sticks up there - but ultimately he was incredibly erratic in all aspects of his game. His fitness was questionable, but more so for me has been his commitment to the cause. It's plainly obvious he downed tools last year, and you don't need bad eggs like that around the place.

To make a profit on a player with just 1 year left is a great bit of a business by the club. Surprised he got such a glamorous move to be honest, it'll be interesting to see how he does - raw ability wise he has the tools, but he has a Lemina attitude about him which will probably mean he becomes a bit of a journeyman.

Raw ability defenders seem to do very well in France without needing much technicality. 

Considering that he spent much of his first season " in rehab " for whatever injury it was he was carrying when he signed 

and despite some good performances, he seemed to lack consistency and never partnered-up with any of the other

CB's he played alongside.     His departure is nothing lament over and at least we made a profit on the deal.

It's nothing to try and hold on to a player who doesn't want to be here.   He may fit in at Monaco, so good luck to him. 

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I knew Shearer was going weeks before it was announced.

Anyone who could score a hat-trick against Arsenal was bound to attract attention.

I'm surprised that it took so long for someone to buy him, but the 3,5 million we got for him ( a British record at the time ) was then

mercilessly squandered on sub-standard players, far beneath the value of the fees we paid for them, and who contributed nothing

to the club and subsequently *ucked off  as soon as they had the chance.

Shearer was an outstanding player in his later career, but in hindsight we drew the short straw on the original deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Anyone who could score a hat-trick against Arsenal was bound to attract attention.

I'm surprised that it took so long for someone to buy him, but the 3,5 million we got for him ( a British record at the time ) was then

mercilessly squandered on sub-standard players, far beneath the value of the fees we paid for them, and who contributed nothing

Shearer was an outstanding player in his later career, but in hindsight we drew the short straw on the original deal.

His youth team record that season was incredible. However, if Arsenal had their usual CB's that day (I think Gus Caeaser plus one other played) he wouldn't have had it so easy. Cream nearly always rises to the top, but Arsenal's team selection that day helped Shearer's career big time. 

26 minutes ago, egg said:

His youth team record that season was incredible. However, if Arsenal had their usual CB's that day (I think Gus Caeaser plus one other played) he wouldn't have had it so easy. Cream nearly always rises to the top, but Arsenal's team selection that day helped Shearer's career big time. 

It’s also easy to forget he was in and out of the team for quite a few years after that hattrick and only started scoring regularly in his last season with us 4 year later.

Rideout was often preferred up front to him. He started to establish himself in Nichols 4-2-4 89/90 team which was two years after his debut hatrick but  into the team a year later by it didn’t score many in either of those season. It was the year after under Branfoot that his goal scoring really took off even then I think he only scored 13 or 14 so hardly prolific but you could see how good he was going to be

• Like 1

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I remember Ian Branfoot (our esteemed Manager at the time) reckoned that the Speedie/Dixon partnership would score more than Shearer.

To be fair many people (including myself) reckoned that this may happen as both were proven goalscorers whilst Shearer had potential.

However that opinion changed fairly rapidly.

Shearer scored a cracker at Palace in his first game and went on to score regularly for Blackburn whereas our Chelsea investment was in line with future striker investment ie pretty poor.