Danny Ings

sisi1992

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Likely too expensive for us.

Club say we can spend what we earn though and won’t be more than we get for Ings. Although at 27 not what we look to do but he scores goals and an option. 

Better than risking on South American who we have to wait to settle, doesn’t like the weather 🙂 and have to bring a buddy along.

Edited by Give it to Ron

"Play Champions League", or, "join a Champions League club", is meaningless.

The only club who can more or less guarantee that year-on-year is Man City. Maybe Man U will be like that again. (He would actually be a good signing for Man City IMO).

Even Liverpool could slip down a few places.

Join Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal and you can easily end up spending your Thursday evening in Yerevan.

So if this is what his guys are leaking, it's just about money. Which is fair enough. We haven't got any and he's our best player, so hardly a surprise.

As has been said, there is no way for us to sustain success or make headway with the current ownership. Anyone who excels - including coaches - will typically be here for 2 or 3 years max unless they have a burning desire to play for SFC above all else.

That's our reality. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, benjii said:

"Play Champions League", or, "join a Champions League club", is meaningless.

The only club who can more or less guarantee that year-on-year is Man City. Maybe Man U will be like that again. (He would actually be a good signing for Man City IMO).

Even Liverpool could slip down a few places.

Join Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal and you can easily end up spending your Thursday evening in Yerevan.

So if this is what his guys are leaking, it's just about money. Which is fair enough. We haven't got any and he's our best player, so hardly a surprise.

As has been said, there is no way for us to sustain success or make headway with the current ownership. Anyone who excels - including coaches - will typically be here for 2 or 3 years max unless they have a burning desire to play for SFC above all else.

That's our reality. 

It's never a sure thing but all those clubs clearly have a better chance of Champions League football than us. It's totally legitimate to want to take that chance and see what he can achieve.

Remember he watched his Liverpool team mates play in a champions League final. That must have been hard to miss out on

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

This story doesn't make sense to me. The older he gets the less likely a big club will come in for him. Sign a new deal and any move disappears.

No better moment for him to get his move than this summer (when his price will be low, thereby attracting suitors) or the summer after when he his price will be nothing. Both rely on his not signing a new deal.

Heroes come,  heroes go but this one will leave a particularly bad taste. Local lad who has become a favourite, especially among younger fans, Ings name on their shirts. 

Has all the signs of a Spurs deal, tap him up, depress the price with year left on contract, another Hoijberg,  will probably leave for £25M. Our main hope is another wants him and we have a bidding war. 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

This story doesn't make sense to me. The older he gets the less likely a big club will come in for him. Sign a new deal and any move disappears.

No better moment for him to get his move than this summer (when his price will be low, thereby attracting suitors) or the summer after when he his price will be nothing. Both rely on his not signing a new deal.

Is it his agent forcing the clubs hand now? Give us the release clause we want and he’ll sign, don’t and now everyone knows he is open to a move. Ings signs in January, gets put on 150k a week, and if his form continues a club will give 30mil and trigger the release clause and everyone is treated fairly. Or he doesn’t sign, his price drops to 20mil because he’s got one year left and he gets his move but we don’t get enough money to stand a chance of replacing him. 

• Like 1

He doesn’t sign, he leaves this summer. He signs with a low release clause (only way he signs?), he leaves this summer. 

You could argue keeping him for the extra season and letting him go for nothing in 2022 would lose us a transfer fee but maintain our premier league status? In isolation though, I don’t see the club wanting to lose our best asset for nothing. 

In summary, he leaves this summer. Sigh.

Having a go at Ings is very unfair IMO.

The guy is a class class player, but his best years were ruined by injuries. He's got one final crack at playing at the highest level, and also has the Euros and World Cup to think about.

Its just not reasonable to begrudge him that chance. All you can reasonably expect from him is that he gives his all to saints until he maybe leaves. Besides, as Ralph has said himself - if Ings is on fire until the end of the season, he may get CL football with saints next year.... 😆

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Heroes come,  heroes go but this one will leave a particularly bad taste. Local lad who has become a favourite, especially among younger fans, Ings name on their shirts. 

Has all the signs of a Spurs deal, tap him up, depress the price with year left on contract, another Hoijberg,  will probably leave for £25M. Our main hope is another wants him and we have a bidding war. 

This is the classic spurs MO unfortunately. AS much as it we know they do it, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth but to be fair its good business and a model that works for them to compete with the big guns. Levy is a C(nt though. 

Personally i would be disappointed by Ings if this is what happens as he is a local lad and knows he is screwing over the club to aid his own development.

9 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

This is the classic spurs MO unfortunately. AS much as it we know they do it, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth but to be fair its good business and a model that works for them to compete with the big guns. Levy is a C(nt though. 

Personally i would be disappointed by Ings if this is what happens as he is a local lad and knows he is screwing over the club to aid his own development.

I think that last sentence is a bit naive, he's hardly screwing over the club, he's a professional footballer who wants to be at as high a level as possible.

9 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

He won't "develop" under Mourinho. He could however become part of a well oiled machine (just like Saints are) but with more quality overall and so more chance of Europe and trophies. 

11 minutes ago, Appy said:

I think that last sentence is a bit naive, he's hardly screwing over the club, he's a professional footballer who wants to be at as high a level as possible.

Exactly; if he leaves this summer he can still say that he played for his boyhood club, scored twice in a derby win over their biggest rivals and scored 20 goals in the Premier League for Saints. Barring him dragging us to the FA Cup, what more is there realistically to achieve at Saints?

He had his chance at an elite club taken away from him because of injuries, and we all know he's good enough to play for any of the big sides. Can't blame him at all if he wants another crack at playing in the Champions League when there were probably moments when he was out injured where he doubted whether he would get back to the level he was at before.

He's going to be on an incredible wage if he signs with Saints or not; I truly believe this decision is down to wanting to play at the highest level and because of that can't blame him at all for wanting to do so, especially when he knows he realistically has only a few years left to achieve that.

Edited by GGalpin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John D said:

Not sure why his agent is insisting on a release clause.

Our history shows we will sell once a player agitates for a move so why does he need one.  PEH didn't have any issues getting out when he wanted to.

Because he would be signing a new contract if he gets this release clause, Hojbjerg didn't have any issues because he had a year left on his contract.

Always find the suggestion that X/any player isn't involved in their contract negotiation to be extremely dubious/a load of b*llocks/an obvious case of PR management. Yes, they may not attend the meetings/have the difficult conversations, and they may not stipulate the release clauses/conditions to the pound, but they tacitly agree with everything their agents are doing, by virtue of the fact that they're still their agents. 

Anyway, something of a nothing issue in relation to the club's plan from here. Personally, I'd be 'happy' to see us sell him any time from now until the summer. I'd also like is to have prepared for this eventuality, and have several targets that Ralph is serious about/sold on, and are plausible, and start making moves to sign them this window. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I guess the release clause (if set low enough) gives a best of both worlds situation for him, whereby a move to the "big 6" remains on the table the next two summers, but he also gets an instant payrise which is locked in for a few more years should a move not materialise.

14 minutes ago, Appy said:

Or the highest salary possible.

This is the way of the world these days unfortunately. The problem is that if we find a suitable replacement who does well he will follow the same footsteps and on it goes. 

Rebuilding ha, we are having to constantly rebuild just like every other club outside the big 6. 

Just think all of us including myself didn't want the club to go on and spend £20million on a crocked injury prone player when we had to. Now all of a sudden hes the best thing since sliced bread. Sure hes a good finisher

9 minutes ago, Donatello said:

Always find the suggestion that X/any player isn't involved in their contract negotiation to be extremely dubious/a load of b*llocks/an obvious case of PR management. Yes, they may not attend the meetings/have the difficult conversations, and they may not stipulate the release clauses/conditions to the pound, but they tacitly agree with everything their agents are doing, by virtue of the fact that they're still their agents. 

Anyway, something of a nothing issue in relation to the club's plan from here. Personally, I'd be 'happy' to see us sell him any time from now until the summer. I'd also like is to have prepared for this eventuality, and have several targets that Ralph is serious about/sold on, and are plausible, and start making moves to sign them this window. 

but im of the opinion of the above poster that we hope that RH has targeted another replacement should this situation arise. Hope he stays but not to get injured again like he has done this season already thus sparking panic from within WHOS GOING TO SCORE  FOR US?. From the bench/squad there dosent seem to be any clear and obvious  candidates to immediately fill us with a spark of confidence that this player will add another dimension to our goal scoring threat.

This news has depressed me.

The Telegraph is a reliable source so I have to accept that Danny is open to a move to a "Champions League" club. Any hopes I had that he was happy in this area and that loyalty would play a part are now gone. I don't blame him but he is not going to be another Matt Le Tiss.

I am depressed because our recent success has been largely built on his form and fitness. His current form has dipped and Covid has possibly taken its toll. I do find it alarming that he was the only Saints player (recently) to catch the virus. This would appear to be personal carelessness rather than a club issue. We need him at his best and I am not sure we are going to see a repeat of early season form. That would have a big impact. He is also a big figure in the dressing room so this will not help.

The above is the "glass half empty" version. I am sure there is an upside but, right now, I am not seeing it. We really need a good cup run which will mean beating both Arsenal and Wolves. A big ask. Our league form is dipping and injuries are killing us.    

Danny can do better but the big question would be "where". Please not Spurs or, even worse, West Ham.

Bottom line is that, however much we might get, we can't replace him.

Someone cheer me up.

22 minutes ago, Donatello said:

Totally agree, its just crap.

Its not like "do you want a release clause Danny?"  

"oh no thats alright thanks"

"well im having one put in anyway"

"oh, ok then"

7 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

This news has depressed me.

The Telegraph is a reliable source so I have to accept that Danny is open to a move to a "Champions League" club. Any hopes I had that he was happy in this area and that loyalty would play a part are now gone. I don't blame him but he is not going to be another Matt Le Tiss.

I am depressed because our recent success has been largely built on his form and fitness. His current form has dipped and Covid has possibly taken its toll. I do find it alarming that he was the only Saints player (recently) to catch the virus. This would appear to be personal carelessness rather than a club issue. We need him at his best and I am not sure we are going to see a repeat of early season form. That would have a big impact. He is also a big figure in the dressing room so this will not help.

The above is the "glass half empty" version. I am sure there is an upside but, right now, I am not seeing it. We really need a good cup run which will mean beating both Arsenal and Wolves. A big ask. Our league form is dipping and injuries are killing us.    

Danny can do better but the big question would be "where". Please not Spurs or, even worse, West Ham.

Bottom line is that, however much we might get, we can't replace him.

Someone cheer me up.

The Telegraph is not 'a reliable source' - happy to help!

13 hours ago, saint lard said:

Make the most of the remainder of this enjoyable season. 
Because as from next season it’s going to be pretty dire. 
Ings will go,Ralph will go....as will JWP and any other saleable asset. 
brace yourself for the inevitable relegation scrap....and eventually it will happen. 
we will be bought by charlatans along the way. 

Facts ☝🏻

• Like 2

I'm not fussed to be honest fair play to Danny he has done well for us

If he wants out let him go get the best money we can and let's get a the best young striker we can buy from the championship.

This could be a blessing we could of actually had Ings at peak and he might deteriorate further with injuries.

Adams, N'lundulu and new guy 

In summer buy a creative winger 

couple of fullbacks

Job done ladies 

54 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Wanting a 20 m release clause is a joke.on ability he should be worth around 80m would think we would get more then that release clause now or in the summer 

He’s 29 in summer and has had one properly decent season. He’s an older, more injury prone Beattie and isn’t worth £80m. Don’t get me wrong, I love having him here and he’s a quality player but nowhere near £80m.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I am starting to think that his apparent "willingness" to sign a new contract is largely a face saving exercise. As you say, he is going to want to leave this summer otherwise time could run out for him. If they want a £20m release clause (I know that's not a fact) then that is derisory and they know we won't agree to it. However, when he leaves they can say that money wasn't an issue and he was willing to sign a contract and therefore blame it on the club. If that mooted release clause is anywhere near accurate then it's probably already being driven by Levy!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings