Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

7 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Watching the goals back I think it's time for Forster. I thought I'd never say that...

I'm hoping we see a bit of a reaction. Certainly nothing tonight.

Well there was a reaction last time it happened, I expect no different this time.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

You'd like to assume they may overturn Bednarek's ban?

I'm not sure... couldn't have a much better chance to instantly turn it around as they are shit.

.... and we're not a "big" club the crooked cunts...

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm not sure... couldn't have a much better chance to instantly turn it around as they are shit.

I reckon they will and that will just confirm what we all think of the idiots running VAR.

Fingers crossed we have some players back for this, or I worry about Saturday. The kids are nowhere near good enough. Gut feeling is they have to rescind that Red card. Was a dive. 

Mccarthy; KWP Vestergaard Bednarek Bertrand; JWP Romeu; Armstrong Ings Adams Redmond

What’s the chances they’ll be back?! 

45 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wonder if we'll rush Vestergaard back for this one?

You could even move Bertrand there, but then we have no full backs either.

What a fucking mess.

You just knew this was going to happen the minute they allowed 2 fullbacks to leave on loan - A crazy decision. Even if one of them had stayed it would have allowed us to move Bertrand into the middle. As things stand we're fucked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'd go with

McC

Ramsay - Tchaptchet - Stephens - Bertrand

Redmond - Armstong - JWP - Djenepo

Ings - Adams

Minimino straight in for me. Redmond on the bench.

I reckon we have a strong chance that Bedernek will have his card recinded.

KWP 'should' be back and maybe Romeu.

The starting 11 may not look  'too' bad on Saturday, but you just worry what this has done to the confidence. It took us a good few weeks to get over that previous 9-0.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

KWP 'should' be back and maybe Romeu.

The starting 11 may not look  'too' bad on Saturday, but you just worry what this has done to the confidence. It took us a good few weeks to get over that previous 9-0.

Yeah, I'm just going with worst case scenario. I was tempted by Mina but I think at a time like this Ralph will stick with what he knows, at least to start.

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Fingers crossed we have some players back for this, or I worry about Saturday. The kids are nowhere near good enough. Gut feeling is they have to rescind that Red card. Was a dive. 

Mccarthy; KWP Vestergaard Bednarek Bertrand; JWP Romeu; Armstrong Ings Adams Redmond

What’s the chances they’ll be back?! 

No chance. We’re fucked 

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I only hope so- my big fear is the the red card stands because they don’t want to upset their mate Mike and tell him he got it wrong!

Anyone know how long these appeals take, and who makes the decision to overturn? 

Is it the PL or PGMOL etc etc that look into it?

11 minutes ago, LGTL said:

I’d bring Minamino straight in.

McCarthy, KWP, Stephens, Bednarek (if available), Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Minamino, Adams, Ings. 

Ralph said none of the defenders or midfielders that are injured will be back 

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Anyone know much about the youth team CBs now we'll be missing Bednarek for 3 games?

Surely we will appeal. I’m yet to see a single person, be that pundit, ex player, fan say it was a foul yet. Danny Mills described it as the worst VAR decision ever.

1 minute ago, Sammysaint88 said:

Did stephens pick up his 5th yellow card this evening? So doesn’t that mean he’ll miss the game as well?

Think we’re passed that stage now? Normally I’d be hoping he is banned but with no one else he’ll have to play. No chance we’re getting a result there this weekend 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Surely we will appeal. I’m yet to see a single person, be that pundit, ex player, fan say it was a foul yet. Danny Mills described it as the worst VAR decision ever.

Don't worry they will no doubt find a way of making it 3-4 games on the grounds of having the temerity to lodge an appeal.

No Bednarek would be a blow as he does seem to be the boss in the back line. Someone above mentioned moral would be low, after he Leicester game we played City twice in a week and everyone thought we would get battered as it turned out, yes we lost both but the scoreline was respectable and not the Cricket score most expected.

Ah well just get royally drunk pre match and avoid getting emotionally involved.

The decision to bin off Valery and Vokins was mental. Sure, they're not quite up to it, but they're all we had. 

Assuming the Bednarek card isn't overturned, and nobody is back from injury, I think this is the best we can do. 

McCarthy; Tchapchet, Stephens Ramsay, Bertrand; Minamino, JWP, Armstrong, Djenepo ; Ings, Adams. 

You could put Tchapchet and Ramsay the other way around, both are CB's who cover RB.

The alternative to a kid at CB is Bertrand with Ferry in at LB. It's what's the lesser of two evils I guess. Crazier things than Redmond at LB have happened too. 

No idea on the bench. 

Such a shame as we'd be nailed on for a victory against Newcastle if we didn't have 478 players injured/suspended. Can only see a Newcastle win, which will in a strange way be more painful to take than the Manure thumping.

Have we ever had an injury list this long? I certainly can't remember one, happy to be educated. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Forster come in, but that's not purely down to the 9-0, I've enjoyed watching him recently. Think it was harsh to drop him after keeping 2 clean sheets one of which being the champions. 

Perhaps something like this?

Forster / Ramsay Tchaptchet Stephens Bertrand / Minamino JWP Armstrong / Djenepo Ings Adams

Horribly weak at the back and in midfield. I'm tempted to say at least the front 3 is strong but Ings has clearly had his head turned, Adams is in bad form and Djenepo is very hit and miss. Hate to be negative but I feel this could be a really depressing afternoon.

Get our players back fit and we'll be absolutely fine, no time to panic.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Irrespective of the score we lost three more points. The Media will ensure we will be reminded of the score at every possible opportunity. With a fully fit squad we can certainly win a few more. I didn’t expect anything other than a loss with the ‘dynamic disasters’ in control. We proved, even with ten men that Manure are not invincible as we got through their defence a few times last night but our final move was crap. We can blame VAR until the cows come home but it’s ‘humans ‘ who make  those decisions and shame be on their heads forever, the very same two humans who cheated us last Saturday also cheated us tonight. I have said for a very long time on this forum that we have a very thin squad. Until there is some investment we will continue to be so. 
I am optimistic that we will get up to the 30 points on Saturday. 

10 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Like to think they would overturn it but if they do they have to do same with David Luiz. 2 in one day ? Not a chance .

Best we (and Arsenal) can hope for is an apology and a "rule clarification" like for Man City's offside goal against Villa.

10 hours ago, LGTL said:

I’d bring Minamino straight in.

McCarthy, KWP, Stephens, Bednarek (if available), Bertrand, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Minamino, Adams, Ings. 

Apparently Romeu won't be back. So, for me, Armstrong has to drop back to DM. Two from Djenepo, Redmond and Minamino. If Bednarek bdiesmt get the red overturned, no idea at CB.

14 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Like to think they would overturn it but if they do they have to do same with David Luiz. 2 in one day ? Not a chance .

Best we (and Arsenal) can hope for is an apology and a "rule clarification" like for Man City's offside goal against Villa.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're talking with Arsenal about it. Stronger case if both appeal. But, as you say, more chance they'll tweak it for future games whilst we pay the price for a stupid unclear interpretation.

If Bednarek cant play at the weekend then football's completely lost it. Watching that back, I don't think anyone could ever give a penalty. That said, it's Saints and not Liverpool, so he'll probably get a 10 match ban for extreme violent conduct...!

Did I read somewhere that Stephens is also banned for Saturday? 

Who else can play centre back? Is Tchapachet going to be rushed in? Difficult to judge on 10 mins last night, but has only recently appeared in matchday squads. I guess we might've been able to do a Liverpool and put a central midfielder in there, but the only one you'd choose (Romeu) is also injured...

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we're talking with Arsenal about it. Stronger case if both appeal. But, as you say, more chance they'll tweak it for future games whilst we pay the price for a stupid unclear interpretation.

It’s a law with unintended consequences. It was introduced to save goalkeepers from being sent off if they had made a genuine attempt to go for the ball.

The basic problem here though was giving the foul against Bednarek in the first place. There is almost universal agreement that it was never a foul.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic