Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread

Jonnyboy

Quite a fair score line I'd say, two very similar football teams. Play good football, make some nice movements, but also prone to calamity mistakes on a consistent basis.

Started the game asleep, but we did pick it up after they scored and did react. Half time came at a good time because Brighton were starting to dominate again.

So, two even teams, but I'd say Brighton have created the most clear cut/gilt edged chances - we keep giving them opportunities. 

Absolutely diabolical from Forster and Bertrand on their goal.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

And again Bertie needing someone else to defend for him. He looks gassed.

I wouldn't be offering him a new contract. Really doesn't fit the hassenhuttl pressing game, and doesn't have the engine anymore. Rico Henry would be good and affordable.

• Like 2

Just now, Holbury Saint said:

I'm surprised the pundits are saying we shaded half and look the sharper. I thought Brighton looked lively and dangerous and better side

They were definitely  the best side for the first 20 minutes we grew into it after going a goal down 

Minamino and Tella not offering much and both look weak. Not sure who decided it would be a good idea to match Bertrand against Dunk at a corner but clearly it didn't work. Need to step us several gears if we are to get anything here as we are looking vulnerable and giving the ball away far too cheaply.

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Defensively, we’re woeful. Midfield offer no protection and the back 4 play like strangers. Add to that the individual mistakes and the lack of a bit of bottle, we’re always going to concede. 

It is strange. Doesn't matter who we play against, every time they attack it looks like it'll be a goal or good chance.

Is confidence still shot from the 9 nil? Are Benarek and Vest. no longer a good pairing? We need someone to take the lead back there and organise things. None are natural leaders.

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

Good 1st half. We have to defend better from corners though. Fraser has been great, making a series of superb saves. Great volley from Che :) need to push on and get a second - COYR :)

He hasn't been great. The saves he's made are the basic I'd expect from any professional goal keeper.

The goal he did concede highlighted his enormous weakness and why we need to do better than him.

• Like 1

Interesting how everyone goes blind when we aren’t winning the game. We played okay, as good if not better than them, their goal was a set piece not a case of carving us open. It was the same against Villa and Wolves, we were better, but we lost, so everyone said we were shit. 

Just now, saintwbu said:

Interesting how everyone goes blind when we aren’t winning the game. We played okay, as good if not better than them, their goal was a set piece not a case of carving us open. It was the same against Villa and Wolves, we were better, but we lost, so everyone said we were shit. 

Very true

Who's the side facing relegation? Apart from a ten minute period after Brighton scored we've been shite - they're by far the more threatening.

Defensively we've been terrible. Bednarek is all over the place today. He's got no idea who's running in behind him. Forster couldn't move his feet for the goal but he's kept us in the game so far.

Tella looks lost out there. Sheffield United's reserve defence this ain't. Hasn't won a single challenge.

Minamino's had some nice touches, but there's not a lot of positives for us this far.

Big second half. I'd take a point.

Just now, saintwbu said:

We have not been better than them. Let's not kid ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

I wouldn't be offering him a new contract. Really doesn't fit the hassenhuttl pressing game, and doesn't have the engine anymore. Rico Henry would be good and affordable.

I've also been concerned about Bertie getting a new long term deal. Without pace he is half the player. Still decent, but he and we will be going backwards. I'd be tempted to offer him a reduced money deal and then sign someone else to compete.

Henry looks a good player, but Brentford don't let players leave for buttons. Been linked with Villa a few times. Lloyd Kelly is another we should be looking at.

Just now, saintwbu said:

It's a fairly even game in my eyes, but it's concerning how many clear cut chances Brighton have had - mainly created by our mistakes or lapses in concentration. We have also  looked threatening to a degree, but not as much as Brighton imo.

1-1 is fair, but it's there for either team to step it up. Brighton looked to be stepping it up based on the end of the 1st half.

Armstrong looking like our main man these days.. che having quite a good game too and also I like dialo’s mobility 

..minamino looks ok in patches does look to have some brain and composure in comparison to Redmond.. but minamino does tend to drift out out of games and become invisible at times.. tella also quiet so far hope he can step up in second half 

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

not sure everyone is blaming him, they (includig myself) are pointing out that when it comes to saves when the ball is not in his arc, he ain't good. He is big, but slow.

Agree with that....but that wasn't really a keeping error....we had one guy saying he could have  saved it by putting his foot out.

the reality was, it was terrible defending. If you look back at it from a behind the goal view, which they showed at half time, he would have been unsighted until quite late as well

still lets not let perspective get in the way of a good flagging off

Edited by jimmer42

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I was thinking the same, but didn’t want the clog lol. 

Redmond is ok defensively, he fills in ok. I’d push Minimino up top and Redmond in front of Bertrand. 

Good shout. Tella has been ineffective today.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic