Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread

Jonnyboy

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

They hated us during the League 1 season when Adkins annoyed them and gave him a load of shit when we beat them 2-1 at the Withdean.

It was never truly reciprocated from our fans, although some of theirs still don't like us.

As you say Brighton is a decent place, has loads going on and is far more culturally relevant than Southampton will ever be. I like playing them and don't want them to go down.

Didn't it put their noses out because we refused to give them a 'guard of honour' as they run onto the pitch back in their League One glory days? Lightweights.

52 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Will be a tough match, they are desperate, we are not yet fully confident and are still on very patchy form. We only need 2 more wins and a draw so can see us thinking we are still fine and don’t need to grind out the result

Very true. I just don't understand why some of our players lose concentration at critical times, particularly defenders,

It really is a must win match. All teams above the bottom two could escape the drop, and in our frail state we are vulnerable to sliding further downwards. Not being pessimistic, just voicing reality, should some players approach games with complacent attitudes. Ralph, it's up to you.

Edited by eelpie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Didn't it put their noses out because we refused to give them a 'guard of honour' as they run onto the pitch back in their League One glory days? Lightweights.

That's right, they really hated Nigel Adkins as well. 

I used to work with a Brighton season ticket holder until recently, he always referred to us as scummers, full of shit, I got fed up with his claims that their new stadium made them biggest club on the south coast (and for a while they were higher than us in the league) , bit of a chip on their shoulders. 

9 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

What rivalry? They're not trying to pretend we're their rivals are they? 😐 If so, just like Bournemouth, desperate for some relevance.

Brighton are alright. Nice place, decent club, play good football. Rivalry! 😂 

(laughing at the idea of a rivalry, not you Mr. The Cat)

Right now I think they might want to disassociate themselves from us as much as possible. Not sure we are quite in the position of looking down on them metaphorically in the way you seem to do. 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I used to work with a Brighton season ticket holder until recently, he always referred to us as scummers, full of shit, I got fed up with his claims that their new stadium made them biggest club on the south coast (and for a while they were higher than us in the league) , bit of a chip on their shoulders. 

It was the "can they keep up?" quote wasn't it?

Edited by jamesfp1

20 hours ago, The Cat said:

They call us Stains!! What great wit. 

We need a hilarious name for them. Brightno?

Wasn't that many years ago there was a rumble outside the Withdean, whereas nowdays the rivalry has changed to coming up with pathetic anagrams. 

Not Bright would be better.

3 hours ago, eelpie said:

Very true. I just don't understand why some of our players lose concentration at critical times, particularly defenders,

It really is a must win match. All teams above the bottom two could escape the drop, and in our frail state we are vulnerable to sliding further downwards. Not being pessimistic, just voicing reality, should some players approach games with complacent attitudes. Ralph, it's up to you.

So, you've just asked why players lose concentration, then ended this with it being up to Ralph. I'm confused!

I get the concern, but this isn't yet a must win game,  it would be good to win it, not for relegation worries as I dont think this will happen, but to come into form in the last part of the season for the FA cup.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

Brighton have had some awful luck in front of goal recently and have definitely come away with results they deserved better from. Luckily for them though we always seem to be the perfect opponent when you’re trying to end a barren run!

9 hours ago, Manuel said:

Really looking forward to this one.  A win will restore a bit of pride and good feeling.  Only wish it was an evening match so I could watch it with a bevvy in hand...

Well, I'm going round to aged mum's place to cook a mother's day meal: she already knows I'll be watching the game and having a glass. Why should time of day inhibit you?

• Like 1

This is a perfect opportunity to edge ourselves closer to the 40 or so points required to stay in the league - and start prepping to go again next season.

Brighton don't look a bad side - they create, but are unfathomably wasteful.

Seeing as they play with 3 lumpy centre-halves, it would be nice to see a bit of dynamism and pace in our side to pull them about a bit.

Forster, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Bednarek, KWP, Diallo, JWP, Armstrong, Tella, Djenepo, Adams.

Only player I'd rather not have in there is Djenepo for Minamino, but as I said, I'd like us to have a bit of direct running/pace...

10 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Well, I'm going round to aged mum's place to cook a mother's day meal: she already knows I'll be watching the game and having a glass. Why should time of day inhibit you?

Ok you've twisted my arm.  

On 10/03/2021 at 20:43, Baird of the land said:

Team picks itself as long as there are no injury absentees

Really hope we can put them to the sword.

Forster

KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Diallo JWP

Armstrong Minamino

Tella Adams

Makes complete sense, so we'll probably have nothing like it and McCarthy and Redmond will start

Beat Brighton, and we will have a lovely stroll to the end of the season. 

But, in all reality we are in a lovely position right now. Burnley, WBA & Palace the next three.

We have no excuses for failure. We should be able to jump a few teams in the next four games. 

But one game at a time, lets keep the seagulls flapping about next to the danger line for another week.

uts

Hi, should be an interesting match tomorrow.

The charity raising website/Facebook page I manage has a preview of the fixture, including a look at two players that have played for both clubs.

If you would like to take a look visit (mods approval) www.footballcities.co.uk and click on the Facebook link.

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Beat Brighton, and we will have a lovely stroll to the end of the season. 

But, in all reality we are in a lovely position right now. Burnley, WBA & Palace the next three.

We have no excuses for failure. We should be able to jump a few teams in the next four games. 

But one game at a time, lets keep the seagulls flapping about next to the danger line for another week.

uts

Burnley beat Everton tonight

On 12/03/2021 at 13:31, JRM said:

The most colossal wanker of an opposition fan I have ever worked with supported Brighton, he actually accused me of personally bribing the ref in our 3 0 win in the Championship season🤑. Unfair to tar an entire club with his brush but I detest them purely because of him and would love it if they go down. We've got to be right up for this, no excuses. Win it and we are virtually over the line, and we leave them right in the shit. That should be more than enough motivation. The worrying thing is this one's going to take fight, grit, and resolve which - let's face it - we don't tend to have in spades.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, stknowle said:

The worrying thing is this one's going to take fight, grit, and resolve which - let's face it - we don't tend to have in spades.

This is what worries me somewhat. I'm not sure the team has the mental strength to succeed in a real relegation fight. That and the endless defensive mistakes. Oh, and the lack of ideas in the final third of course.

Win today and the pressure is off for a canter over the line. Lose it and it'll be time to start pressing on those stress relieving balls.

We need spirit, fight and guts tonight to counter their wanting/needing it more. Also not convinced Ralph will fire them up sufficiently. Flicks and tricks will not be enough today. But please get the selection right. Leave the disruptive ball loser Redmond at home, Diallo have a stormer, Fraser instil quiet confidence through the back line, Bertrand get some zip in your game, and KWP add that essential pace and overlaps. Oh, and stick Tella up with Minamino to defeat their big links at the back with raw pace. Please get it right Saints. Turn up!

• Like 2

Brighton are a strange team in that they put in good performances but don't get results. They struggle to score goals and have a lightweight, although technically good, midfield. We, on the other hand, have some key players back from injury, and a striker who has scored 2 in 2.

On paper and ignoring form, this should be 3 points to us. If KWP, Diallo and Minamino are all fit, then a team of: Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand, JWP, Diallo, Armstrong, Tella, Minamino, Adams should be enough for the win.

I can't see Brighton winning this despite the bookies having them down as favourites, but I can see a draw would be possible. That said I think if we get the first goal, then it's virtually game over. And I think that will happen. 2-0 Saints in a scrappy but determined performance, goals from Che and Armstrong. Confidence for the following few fixtures and the cup game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Is it bollocks. Look at how many points we drop from winning positions. 

Yeah, have to say I won't be putting my feet up and relaxing safe in the knowledge of a guaranteed win if we go 1 up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, obelisk said:

Win today and the pressure is off for a canter over the line. Lose it and it'll be time to start pressing on those stress relieving balls.

I always understood that that was quite painful?  Still, that generally describes the masochistic experience of supporting Saints.

I really don't feel like calling this one, but I don't see a relaxed, easy win..

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

After the last match fiasco I am not hoping or expecting a 2 or3 - Nil win today but Demanding it. You owe us this one Ralph.

You are weird, nothing about the last game was a fiasco. 

Here's hoping for a good performance and result 

Edited by Chapel End
  • Like 6

Just now, Chapel End said:

You are weird, nothing about the last game was a fiasco. 

Conceding five goals, many down to what the tennis fraternity refer to as unforced errors, comes pretty close to a fiasco in my book.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic