Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread

Jonnyboy

Two very similar sides in my eyes. Play the same way, good between the lines, struggle to score goals.

I can see Brighton having a lot of the ball, but I also see us having lots of ball wins on the counter press as they do play around with it at the back.

I wonder if Lallana will 'wimp' out of this one?

• Haha 1

I've watched all of their last 4 games 

0-0 v Villa 

0-1 defeat at West Brom 

1-2 defeat to Palace 

1-2 defeat to Leicester 

They really should have won all four of those games, such a strange side. 

Not sure if that means Brighton are due a bit of luck and a win or if they're just destined to keep clutching defeat from the jaws of victory. Looking back we were lucky to win at their place earlier in the season. 

They did well in the their win away at Anfield holding on to a 1-0 , but that doesn't look so impressive now. 

Lallana will be fit this time as he doesn't have to worry about taking stick from the fans. 

7 hours ago, nta786 said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Armstrong JWP Diallo Minamino

Adams Tella

I think the team picks itself. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t win. 

That’s the team. Pick it and we will win. Redmond and McCarthy in and can’t see a win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Far que said:

Draw probably Brighton are no mugs

As things currently stand, They can’t score, we can’t defend. 

They’re probably a slightly better team than us and have been a bit unlucky, their poor rut in front of goal has to end soon and I suspect it will Sunday. 

0-2 Brighton I think. 

8 hours ago, nta786 said:

Forster

KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Armstrong JWP Diallo Minamino

Adams Tella

I think the team picks itself. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t win. 

I don't disagree but suspect Redmond will start, possibly instead of Tella or even Armstrong if he isn't up to another start.

This will be a tough game. Brighton have been playing some very good football but let down by their finishing. They will create chances so we will need to be on it from the first whistle. I'm expecting us to win but it will be by no means a walk in the park.

46 minutes ago, SKD said:

They’re probably a slightly better team than us and have been a bit unlucky, their poor rut in front of goal has to end soon and I suspect it will Sunday. 

0-2 Brighton I think. 

Brighton flatter to deceive and have for a couple of years. Not sure why that would suddenly change.

Agree though, it won't be an easy game.

Our record against managers with ex-saints connections is also very good this year, Wilder beaten x2 and Potter x1 , another good omen. 

Brighton's next two games are v Saints and v Newcastle, massive fixtures for them before a tricky run. Would say they have to go for the win on Sunday. 

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?386455-**-Southampton-v-BHA-**-Premier-League-Score-Predictor-Now-in-its-10th-SEASON-!!

55 minutes ago, SKD said:

0-2 Brighton I think. 

we will see what happens when a stoppable force meets a movable object......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Whats the gamble Ralph did that keeps being referred to?

It's a bit bizarre to be honest that some think RH took a gamble. Even with the strongest 11 we could put out it would have needed a minor miracle to have got anything from City.

In my opinion he made an extremely sensible decision not to risk players just coming back from injuries and focus on Sundays game.

• Like 4

Not much between the sides and there fans must be scratching their heads with the position they are in. They play some really good stuff at times, very fluid and possession heavy. 

think we may just edge it, 2-1. I expect them to be having a few nerves with Fulham catching them up. 

It’s been nodded to by others on here and Sheldon on the Athletic said it but I tend to agree Ralph’s decision to rest KWP, Diallo etc against city will only look sensible if we get a result. I’d settle for a point here but 3 and even the twitchiest fan has to feel we’re safe! It would be great to see the pressure of and start building for next season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

1 win in the last 11, 2 wins in our last 16

Brighton have looked good and dominated games when I've seen them, but like us struggle to score goals and have no wins in last six. 

Hope Ralph's gambling tonight pays off 

If Brighton beat us then all the critics of R's selection of resting players  will be justified. Let's face it Vest and Jan's were not rested and they were not injured physically, but probably their confidence was.  

I’ve watched a few of their recent games as well and how they’ve not managed to win most of them is hilarious. Especially the Palace game, they absolutely dominated and still managed to lose. 

Like us, they play some nice stuff but are mentally fragile and struggle to put the ball in the net. Can’t call this one at all, one of these days they’ll actually bury their chances and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s against us. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JRM said:

Our record against managers with ex-saints connections is also very good this year, Wilder beaten x2 and Potter x1 , another good omen. 

Brighton's next two games are v Saints and v Newcastle, massive fixtures for them before a tricky run. Would say they have to go for the win on Sunday. 

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?386455-**-Southampton-v-BHA-**-Premier-League-Score-Predictor-Now-in-its-10th-SEASON-!!

They call us Stains!! What great wit. 

We need a hilarious name for them. Brightno?

Wasn't that many years ago there was a rumble outside the Withdean, whereas nowdays the rivalry has changed to coming up with pathetic anagrams. 

• Confused 1

We’ll beat them in the same manner we did Sheffield United.

More front foot drive against opposition we feel we can beat.

City game didn’t teach us much other than who shouldn’t be playing or who Ralph will play and got a good rest.

Hoping Armstrong has the legs for this one alongside Minamino. Tella and Adams up top to give us that quick out ball. 
3-0

39 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

We’ll beat them in the same manner we did Sheffield United.

More front foot drive against opposition we feel we can beat.

City game didn’t teach us much other than who shouldn’t be playing or who Ralph will play and got a good rest.

Hoping Armstrong has the legs for this one alongside Minamino. Tella and Adams up top to give us that quick out ball. 
3-0

Brighton play some very attractive between the lines football as we do and been very unlucky in their last 5 games ..should IMO have won all of them but can’t buy a goal atm ..upsteps Southampton fc next .. !! If you’ve supported Saints for aslong as i have .. you know the outcome of this one .. hope I’m wrong 😑 

54 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wasn't that many years ago there was a rumble outside the Withdean, whereas nowdays the rivalry has changed to coming up with pathetic anagrams. 

Stains they nicked from the Pompey vs saints forum .. skates call us stains..I know .. it’s so brainless it’s barely worth a comment! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Will be interesting, not sure if Walcott is back, how bad moussa is etc etc but with Japanese Messi and Diallo starting along with KWP I can see only a win for us.

Theo is set to be back after the international break (along with Ingsey, amigo).

Hopefully the others mentioned are good to go.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

If Brighton beat us then all the critics of R's selection of resting players  will be justified. Let's face it Vest and Jan's were not rested and they were not injured physically, but probably their confidence was.  

Dont get this at all and there will be critics of Ralphs selection on here no matter what. Even if we had fielded our best side against City we would have highly likely lost anyways. Plus it would have been stupid to throw KWP, Diallo and Minamino in for the 75-90 minutes given their recent injury woes. It was a no brainer for Ralph resting them and a few others. The only one I questioned was Forster being rested, but then again hes spared his confidence taking a beating. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Cat said:

What rivalry? They're not trying to pretend we're their rivals are they? 😐 If so, just like Bournemouth, desperate for some relevance.

Brighton are alright. Nice place, decent club, play good football. Rivalry! 😂 

(laughing at the idea of a rivalry, not you Mr. The Cat)

Edited by niceandfriendly

I’ve modelled this game through my computer programme. There are three possible outcomes. We score more goals than them, we win. Brighton score more goals than us, they win. Here’s where it gets interesting, we both score the same amount of goals, or both fail to score, it’s a draw. This formula cannot fail, get on to Betfair right now and throw everything you have at the three possible outcomes. I don’t want anything for this, I just want make everyone happy in these unprecedented times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, maysie said:

Brighton flatter to deceive and have for a couple of years. Not sure why that would suddenly change.

Agree though, it won't be an easy game.

It won't be easy. As we get closer and closer to the end of the season, teams are going to become more and more desperate. I think this will become a very important factor in what has already been a very erratic season form and injury wise.

We've got a strong first 11 and our weakness has always been dominating during games and not scoring. Brighton seem to struggle for goals a degree. I'd like to think that means we at least get a draw from this and would be hopeful of a win. But I can also see us dominate, fail to score, and give Brighton plenty of free chances from which to score. Maupay is always a threat as well.

Ultimately its very unlike we'll go down. But win this and we can start to enjoy the rest of the season and it will set us up well for the cup game and hopefully Wembley!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I’ve modelled this game through my computer programme. There are three possible outcomes. We score more goals than them, we win. Brighton score more goals than us, they win. Here’s where it gets interesting, we both score the same amount of goals, or both fail to score, it’s a draw. This formula cannot fail, get on to Betfair right now and throw everything you have at the three possible outcomes. I don’t want anything for this, I just want make everyone happy in these unprecedented times.

But do you think we might get ‘a result’?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

You don’t need an hilarious name Cat. To me and my generation they will always be the SHITEHAWKS!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

What if the game is abandoned? 

7 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

What rivalry? They're not trying to pretend we're their rivals are they? 😐 If so, just like Bournemouth, desperate for some relevance.

Brighton are alright. Nice place, decent club, play good football. Rivalry! 😂 

(laughing at the idea of a rivalry, not you Mr. The Cat)

They hated us during the League 1 season when Adkins annoyed them and gave him a load of shit when we beat them 2-1 at the Withdean.

It was never truly reciprocated from our fans, although some of theirs still don't like us.

As you say Brighton is a decent place, has loads going on and is far more culturally relevant than Southampton will ever be. I like playing them and don't want them to go down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hasper57saint said:

You don’t need an hilarious name Cat. To me and my generation they will always be the SHITEHAWKS!

When we did enjoy a little spat with them in the late 70s, it was not unusual to hear their "seagulls, seagulls" chant answered with a "seaweed, seaweed". It wasn't big and it wasn't clever but it happened. 😎 Always a nice trip to the seaside tho.

• Like 2

Just now, alehouseboys said:

When we did enjoy a little spat with them in the late 70s, it was not unusual to hear their "seagulls, seagulls" chant answered with a "seaweed, seaweed". It wasn't big and it wasn't clever but it happened. 😎 Always a nice trip to the seaside tho.

Palace call them weeds. We probably nicked that off them.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic