Theo signing permanently?

Mr X

Lots of media and the twitterspere reporting that Theo is to sign for us permanently, hopefully on a free signing and agreement to drastically less than the 100k a week he was reportedly on, for me he has shown glimpses of talent still but not consistently, woeful decision making and shooting when through on goal and now 32 we can do better surely? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Lots of media and the twitterspere reporting that Theo is to sign for us permanently, hopefully on a free signing and agreement to drastically less than the 100k a week he was reportedly on, for me he has shown glimpses of talent still but not consistently, woeful decision making and shooting when through on goal and now 32 we can do better surely? 

Guess Ralph must want him then?

If we can get him on a free and reduced wages I would take him. Sure we could probably find someone as good if we wanted to spend the money, but he loves the club and seemed genuinely happy to be back, and we look a better side with him in it. Our massive dip in form coincided with his injury lay off. 

Just go easy on the length of contract, eh? Let's not be tying ourselves down to a 3-4 year deal for someone his age. 

2 year deal max and I think it's a no-brainer.

• Like 7

He comes back into the team and we win. Our worst run of the season corresponded with his injury.

Clearly it's not that simple, but there is correlation. His signing has worked better then I would have expected, he clearly loves it here, his work-rate off the ball is superb and his pace is a pain for any defense. 

Hope he does stay.

• Like 12

If the wages are decent, then I have no real qualms about it.

Don't expect tons of goals, but his movement does open space and create opportunities for others. Automatically our attack flowed and functioned better with him as part of it. Players like Ings and Redmond are better when he's around them, in my opinion. He has always lacked a football brain, but he does have good technical ability on the ball - let's not forget he has played at a very, very high level during his career - a very, very good PL /champions league level player at one stage.

It feels like a decent fit for him to end his career here to be honest. I don't think there's any doubt in this one, it feels guaranteed to happen and will probably be announced before the end of the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Who can we get for the money, experience, desire to play for us, ability ?

Interested to know who you think is better?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colinjb said:

He comes back into the team and we win. Our worst run of the season corresponded with his injury.

Clearly it's not that simple, but there is correlation. His signing has worked better then I would have expected, he clearly loves it here, his work-rate off the ball is superb and his pace is a pain for any defense. 

Hope he does stay.

Inge comes back into the team and we win. There is a correlation. 😉 Just playing devils advocate.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Inge comes back into the team and we win. There is a correlation. 😉 Just playing devils advocate.

Clearly it's not that simple. ;)

Also, Ingsy featuring alone didn't mean wins in the Wolves away game (despite scoring), Newcastle away game and Chelsea home game in that time.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

I’m going to have to go against the grain and say I’m against this. He’s 32 and has had plenty of injury problems, they are only going to get worse and more frequent with age. Also his injury hasn’t coincided with our poor form at all, that’s a myth. We were poor for a while and he was underperforming, before he was injured;  we’d scored 3 goals in 7 games:

Saints 0-1 Man City

Fulham 0-0 Saints

Saints 0-0 West Ham

Saints 1-0 Liverpool

Leicester 2-0 Saints

Saints 1-3 Arsenal

Saints 0-1 Villa

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’m not a big fan of Walcott*, I think he’s clumsy amongst other things, but in a transfer window where I think we will be strapped for transfer cash, it does make sense. He’s showed he still has some pace for his age and can be a threat, not to mention he wants to be here. If the wages are right, he’s a decent squad signing. My worry is that this is a precursor to doing things on the cheap. Still, Long or Walcott? Answers itself.

*watch him bang in the cup winning goal now...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

we must be skint if we are taking in old has beens now.

Hasn't really done enough for a contract for me. Looked better playing up top, woeful in that no10 position. 20k a week max as a squad player if we really must on a 12 month contract.

“Must be skint” no shit Sherlock!!

• Like 2

I'd happily have him on a 12-month contract.  Even if he might not be in my starting 11 he would make our bench look a lot stronger than it has been of late.  

I also don't think you can put a value on his experience, plus he seems a good role model to have around the place.

• Like 1

Cheap option, good inspiration for younger lads and probably an option off the bench. Likely what we thought Long would be before trying him a couple more times and realising he can barely play nowadays. I'm perfectly happy with him as 3rd or 4th choice attacking mid. As long as he and Djenepo are the back ups next season and we sign someone to be first choice I'm happy. I have the distinct feeling we may end up with first choice AMS Armstrong Walcott and Djenepo and first choice strikers Che, Redmond, and Tella and then sign two up and comers as 3rd/4th choice in both roles and that would be a huge mistake.

Saints are fucked financially.

This is a former top player with loads of experience and a real love for the club. He's also been prepared to take a wage cut to come here. He's also offered a lot of attacking threat when in the team. On top of all that, there is certainly potential for him to have an impact behind the scenes in the future.

Provided the wages and contract length are sensible, its an absolute no brainer. Who else are we going to sign on a free (or not) with comparable wages and ability? 

We should be extending Bertrand's contract as well.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Sounds like it is already a done deal, indeed suggestions it may be made permanent before the end of the season (is that allowed?). Well worth it, two years would be as good as he would get anywhere, he still has the pace, yes his decision making is not great (was always the case) but he scares defenders to death, and he also puts in a good shift defensively and links up well with KWP when required. On top of that he wants to play for Saints. Guessing we will unload Long this summer, so not really any issue bringing Theo in permanently.

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I’m still waiting.......

That’s a question for our scouting department, with access to data and videos from thousands of players across the world. I’d never heard of Salisu, Diallo, Mané, Yoshida, Gardos, Killer, Pahars etc. When they first signed for us. Left up to fans, we’d be signing anyone with CM2020 stats and a YouTube video with some s**t background music.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Hope he does stay.

I tend to agree. He can be massively frustrating with his passing and shooting but he is still quick, had a good first touch and finds space better than anyone else in our squad. The best attacking football we have played has been when he and Armstrong are in the side. If his passing and shooting was more reliable he never would have left Arsenal for Everton and he certainly wouldn't be playing for us now.

If we sign him on a free and get another 3 years, it's a decent deal. Better than risking £15m on a punt when we also have Djenepo and Redmond. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If we can get him on a free and reduced wages I would take him. Sure we could probably find someone as good if we wanted to spend the money, but he loves the club and seemed genuinely happy to be back, and we look a better side with him in it. Our massive dip in form coincided with his injury lay off. 

Just go easy on the length of contract, eh? Let's not be tying ourselves down to a 3-4 year deal for someone his age. 

This. I actually think he frees up other players by his threat and pace. Sure, his final ball is not great, and his finishing average, but he's an upgrade on Long - and is a thoroughly good bloke who does seem to genuinely like the club. All of which is in his favour. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, benjii said:

I tend to agree. He can be massively frustrating with his passing and shooting but he is still quick, had a good first touch and finds space better than anyone else in our squad. The best attacking football we have played has been when he and Armstrong are in the side. If his passing and shooting was more reliable he never would have left Arsenal for Everton and he certainly wouldn't be playing for us now.

If we sign him on a free and get another 3 years, it's a decent deal. Better than risking £15m on a punt when we also have Djenepo and Redmond. 

Yep. Quite uncanny how he straightens up the attack with speed and finds pockets of space.   He complements Ings, Armstrong, Redmond and Djenepo very well.  If his wage demands are reasonable he has to stay.

• Like 4

No brainer, get him on a free, we know all about him, he loves Southampton, no real risk unlike one or two of our signings in the past, wouldn't think he will want silly money .  2 year contract at the most though and he finishes his career where he started.   His pace still unsettles opposition defence even if his final ball can be a bit iffy at times.   I imagine he would also be a great asset in the changing room giving young lads advice , he seems the type.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s a question for our scouting department, with access to data and videos from thousands of players across the world. I’d never heard of Salisu, Diallo, Mané, Yoshida, Gardos, Killer, Pahars etc. When they first signed for us. Left up to fans, we’d be signing anyone with CM2020 stats and a YouTube video with some s**t background music.

Why he said surely we can do better ...who ? he is one questioning it not scouting department.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Exactly this...he gets and understands what Ralph wants.

On Sunday Burnley had a break on it was Theo that spotted it chased and won ball back his role isn’t just attacking.

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m going to have to go against the grain and say I’m against this. He’s 32 and has had plenty of injury problems, they are only going to get worse and more frequent with age. Also his injury hasn’t coincided with our poor form at all, that’s a myth. We were poor for a while and he was underperforming, before he was injured;  we’d scored 3 goals in 7 games:

Saints 0-1 Man City

Fulham 0-0 Saints

Saints 0-0 West Ham

Saints 1-0 Liverpool

Leicester 2-0 Saints

Saints 1-3 Arsenal

Saints 0-1 Villa

To be fair there is only one poor result in that list, losing to Villa at home. 

Before his injury he was doing a better job then Redmond and djen so good enough for the first team and slightly better then our other number 10 options barring Armstrong..

that said the injury at his age makes the signing a bit more worrrying, we could probably upgrade on him but would cost us another 15-20 m signing maybe to do so.

i guess for free it makes sense  and he does seem to have a soft spot for the club and seems a model pro so not a bad guy to have around 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

In a financial climate where we need to manage our money very wisely, I think this sort of move makes so much sense. Theo is a known quantity, and there really aren't many of them around. He's a known quantity not just because he's experienced and has played the best part of 15 years in the Premier League, but also because he's already demonstrated he slots into this team with this manager in this dressing room environment. That sort of integration (and the lack of needing to give the player time to settle) is hugely important.

He's supposedly on £100k a week at Everton, and we're covering half of that during this loan period. At 32, and having had niggly injuries (and one big ACL tear too), he's still surprisingly quick, so I guess there's a question of whether he actually will lose any pace if we were to offer him a two or three year deal - I'd expect he'd want a 3-year deal for security, whereas we'd probably want 2 years for the same reasons, so a 2-year deal with an automatic option for a third based on certain criteria would probably make the most sense to me.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

In a financial climate where we need to manage our money very wisely, I think this sort of move makes so much sense. Theo is a known quantity, and there really aren't many of them around. He's a known quantity not just because he's experienced and has played the best part of 15 years in the Premier League, but also because he's already demonstrated he slots into this team with this manager in this dressing room environment. That sort of integration (and the lack of needing to give the player time to settle) is hugely important.

He's supposedly on £100k a week at Everton, and we're covering half of that during this loan period. At 32, and having had niggly injuries (and one big ACL tear too), he's still surprisingly quick, so I guess there's a question of whether he actually will lose any pace if we were to offer him a two or three year deal - I'd expect he'd want a 3-year deal for security, whereas we'd probably want 2 years for the same reasons, so a 2-year deal with an automatic option for a third based on certain criteria would probably make the most sense to me.

Agree with this. Seems like a no brainier, assuming he’ll drop is 100k a week wage. 

Also Sounds like he is a good influence around the place and offers more than just on the pitch contributions. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 02:10, skintsaint said:

we must be skint if we are taking in old has beens now.

Take it you don't remember the 'Lawrie'  days?

Ball, Case, Osgood, Worthington 

Used correctly experienced players are good to have around, if nothing else they bring youngsters along with advice and guidance as well as a word in the ear during games

1 hour ago, Mustapha Fag said:

Take it you don't remember the 'Lawrie'  days?

Ball, Case, Osgood, Worthington 

Used correctly experienced players are good to have around, if nothing else they bring youngsters along with advice and guidance as well as a word in the ear during games

Keegan!

• Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 18:12, Sheaf Saint said:

He was not the only one injured during that time

On 07/04/2021 at 10:16, Lighthouse said:

Left to our scouting team we sign players like Boufal, Lemina, Casillas etc 

I’m going to use very basic numbers figure but assume the following:

50k wages x 52 weeks x 2 yrs = £5.2m

Signing on fee / similar = £1m

That means Walcott for the next 2 years will cost us £6.2m in both wages/signing fee.

Name me anyone else of Walcott’s ability we can get for that sort of total cost. Plus the fact that he loves the club, started his career here and Ralph sees his professionalism each day I think it is a no brainer.

I’ll be honest tho, ideally I’d love someone else better to start (as we all would) but I think he is a good squad filler to have.

The club obviously saw the same with Shane Long but sadly he has fallen off a cliff- Longy was 33 at time of signing his deal (Walcott 32 if he signs this summer), Long made 26 PL appearances in 2019/20 (Walcott on just 15 PL though), and Long scored 2 PL goals in 2019/20, whilst Walcott currently on 2 PL this season.

Obviously the club use more statistics than the simplicity of mine above [MLG note], but our decision to offer Walcott a deal is partly because we think he will be a PL level option for us for 2 years but sadly Shane Long never quite did as soon as he signed the new deal.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1

What has impressed me most about Theo on his return has been the desire and work rate. He's seen as a winger or a forward, but Ralf has had absolutely no qualms about him playing right midfield. He has shown willing to get up and down that line all day long. I didn't know we'd get that from him.

He's certainly not a world beater, but he offers us something.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chez said:

What has impressed me most about Theo on his return has been the desire and work rate. He's seen as a winger or a forward, but Ralf has had absolutely no qualms about him playing right midfield. He has shown willing to get up and down that line all day long. I didn't know we'd get that from him.

He's certainly not a world beater, but he offers us something.

Agree with this. Although my only concern would be if this work rate and commitment was to drop off as soon as he got his contract with us.