Theo signing permanently?

Mr X

I'm happier with it in context. We need a striker and two attacking mids, assuming Ings doesn't sign. We are not a rich team, getting a player in for free who might normally cost ~£7m is more money in the bank for the other two attacking players

• Like 1

Happy with this.

It was the most obvious transfer of the summer, but glad we got it done. 

I appreciate he isn't as good as he was, but still a good player and a decent mentor for Tella.

Most importantly, he wants to be here, which is far better than the likes of Hoedt and Lemina who are probably on equal or higher wages and cost us a fortune to buy.

A very good piece of business all things considered. 

Sure there are better players but for the price of wages the ability he still has - but obviously needs to show it more often - and his vast experience and stature around the club will pay benefits we don't necessarily see. 

Next...

1 hour ago, trousers said:

So far this season, our win percentage when Theo has played is 35%, compared to 31% when he hasn't. And our lose percentage is 40% when he's played and 56% when he hasn't.

Ergo, more asset than liability.

Statistics have little consequence without detail....

Who did we play in those matches, which players were available, were we on form etc .....

Nice guy but no one is thinking ‘wow great stuff’ 

• Like 2

Just now, captainchris said:

Statistics have little consequence without detail....

Who did we play in those matches, which players were available, were we on form etc .....

Fair point. I still feel he's more of an asset than a liability, regardless of the stats.

I don't necessarily support the move but I'll back Theo now that he's officially a Saint again. The salary is a concern for me, given he's been earning £100k a week this season, so I hope he's agreed to a large paycut. His performances this season have always seemed to be largely poor but I acknowledge that despite this he's still been better than Redmond, Djenepo and Minamino in goal and assist returns so perhaps he can contribute something, especially off the pitch in regards to mentoring the younger players.

Heard we’re paying him what we’ve paid him all season, £45k / week, not a small amount of money, but also not “expensive” for a player that comes with no transfer fee. 

Clearly a good person to have around the place, but if he’s starting most weeks, then that’s a concern, feels like we need someone new on the left, with Armstrong on the right. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Heard we’re paying him what we’ve paid him all season, £45k / week, not a small amount of money, but also not “expensive” for a player that comes with no transfer fee. 

Clearly a good person to have around the place, but if he’s starting most weeks, then that’s a concern, feels like we need someone new on the left, with Armstrong on the right. 

Isn't this the same logic we applied to the Long signing? ''Nice lad to have around the place''.

Personally, I've been torn all season. I can see the plus signs of getting an experienced player for free who has played at the highest level all his career, but on the other side I see a player who looks to be done at the top level and lacks the strength/presence to make any impacts on games at this level. If we sign someone else and he has a bench role then it may not be too bad, but I'm not sure we can.

It stinks of a PR signing to be honest, home coming and all that waffle. At the end of the day he really isn't going to improve us I don't think - he certainly hasn't in the season he's been here when you take the season as a whole.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Do you honestly think it’s 30k?

No I don't and didn't say that I did, I said that's what we should be paying him if it's in relation to his performance, anyway you answered a question with a question

Two years is too much. He's faded already this season for me, and at 32, he's only going one way. One year would have been more like it. That all said, he can offer something on the field, and seemingly a lot off it. 

Overall I think this is a good deal for the club. I suspect when all said and done the real benefit will be the help and effect he has on younger players in the squad and around the club. He is a beacon for the academy and the ethos of the club that we have a great history of producing good and great players who make a living in the game at every level, international, PL and all EPL leagues. The exceptional ones in their early years will inevitably move on and some will stay. The mix of this is what impacts the first team.

I'm glad he's here and to have him on the bench (as I predict will be the case quite often) is a good thing, strength their is clearly where we have lacked big time this season and for a while really. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Isn't this the same logic we applied to the Long signing? ''Nice lad to have around the place''.

Personally, I've been torn all season. I can see the plus signs of getting an experienced player for free who has played at the highest level all his career, but on the other side I see a player who looks to be done at the top level and lacks the strength/presence to make any impacts on games at this level. If we sign someone else and he has a bench role then it may not be too bad, but I'm not sure we can.

It stinks of a PR signing to be honest, home coming and all that waffle. At the end of the day he really isn't going to improve us I don't think - he certainly hasn't in the season he's been here when you take the season as a whole.

I dont disagree as such, but not many players have stood out this season, bar a small handful.

On 18/05/2021 at 14:35, Saint_clark said:

We were top of the league when he was in the team and playing well. He is a different option that is actually effective, and a great influence to have around the club.

Best paid cheerleader in the world then?

From The Athletic:

Walcott didn’t think twice about cutting £150,000-a-week Everton wages in half to join Southampton

Such was Theo Walcott’s desire to make his move to Southampton permanent, he has agreed to a 50 per cent pay cut on his Everton wages.

The former Arsenal forward joined Southampton on loan at the start of last season and will sign a two-year deal once his contract at Goodison Park expires next month.

Southampton split the 32-year-old’s wages — understood to be in the region of £150,000 per week — with Everton during his loan spell, so they will continue to pay the same amount but will now take on 100 per cent of his salary.

Walcott didn’t think twice about the pay cut and declined offers from Major League Soccer to stay and try to help establish Southampton as a top-half team while also helping the younger players coming through the academy.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl was taken aback by the forward’s professionalism and was also eager for him to join permanently.

Walcott’s decision to return to the club he left for Arsenal as a teenager in 2006 was also influenced by those closest to him, with his wife wanting to return to Southampton and settle as a family.

He believes in what Hasenhuttl and chief executive Martin Semmens are trying to create at St Mary’s, and was desperate to help them realise their vision.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

From The Athletic:

Walcott didn’t think twice about cutting £150,000-a-week Everton wages in half to join Southampton

Such was Theo Walcott’s desire to make his move to Southampton permanent, he has agreed to a 50 per cent pay cut on his Everton wages.

The former Arsenal forward joined Southampton on loan at the start of last season and will sign a two-year deal once his contract at Goodison Park expires next month.

Southampton split the 32-year-old’s wages — understood to be in the region of £150,000 per week — with Everton during his loan spell, so they will continue to pay the same amount but will now take on 100 per cent of his salary.

Walcott didn’t think twice about the pay cut and declined offers from Major League Soccer to stay and try to help establish Southampton as a top-half team while also helping the younger players coming through the academy.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl was taken aback by the forward’s professionalism and was also eager for him to join permanently.

Walcott’s decision to return to the club he left for Arsenal as a teenager in 2006 was also influenced by those closest to him, with his wife wanting to return to Southampton and settle as a family.

He believes in what Hasenhuttl and chief executive Martin Semmens are trying to create at St Mary’s, and was desperate to help them realise their vision.

We are paying him 75k a week?? God I hope not! 

They're just quoting the Athletic article.

I heard it was more like £50k which is pretty standard for a low league prem player.

£75k is about £7.8m over his contract, which I'm guessing the club feel like it's value, when a replacement might cost double that alone in transfer fee...

Also - aren't both keepers, Ings and JWP all on £75k ish already? 

Edited by Saint Garrett

Every time I read about Theo being some great help to our younger players, I have to wonder just how dreadful our youth team coaching must be. If watching a player who runs head down into blind alleys and tackles and has no composure in front of goal is somehow an improvement, what on Earth were we teaching them before?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Every time I read about Theo being some great help to our younger players, I have to wonder just how dreadful our youth team coaching must be. If watching a player who runs head down into blind alleys and tackles and has no composure in front of goal is somehow an improvement, what on Earth were we teaching them before?

I thought the exact same. He doesn’t really come across as an intelligent player or even a natural leader. Just quick and that’s about it. 

50-75k is way too much for him. An all round decent bloke and one I’m happy with having at the club, but given our financial situation not a great deal for us. 

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think you are all overlooking the fact that there is no transfer fee involved. It makes quite a difference to the economics.

There will probably be a signing on fee though of c. £1m? 

£75k x 52 weeks x 2 years = £7.8m

A replacement might well cost more but pay should be linked to quality on the pitch, not for "professionalism" and "being a good member around the squad".

I mean no point discussing as done now, and of course it's only the Athletic so he could be on £50k (which is what I'd have offered tops), but okay fine - welcome on board - we're clearly competing with the big clubs now when we have a £75k player we can bring on from the bench 🙄

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

There will probably be a signing on fee though of c. £1m? 

£75k x 52 weeks x 2 years = £7.8m

A replacement might well cost more but pay should be linked to quality on the pitch, not for "professionalism" and "being a good member around the squad".

I mean no point discussing as done now, and of course it's only the Athletic so he could be on £50k (which is what I'd have offered tops), but okay fine - welcome on board - we're clearly competing with the big clubs now when we have a £75k player we can bring on from the bench 🙄

Once you bring agents into the picture things get even more complicated. Golden handshakes, golden goodbyes, image rights, it gets very messy. The reason that sometimes a player hands in a transfer request is that he then forgoes a golden goodbye payment whcih can sweeten his move to the next club.

As far as we are concerned it's the overall figure that matters. I don't know how much players might discuss their individual remunerations in the dressing rooms but too large a discrepancy can cause friction between them.

On 18/05/2021 at 16:38, davefizzy14 said:

Excellent piece of business. Theo brings leadership and vast experience to the table. He loves the club too and he was an excellent player so I'm very happy with this :)

corrected it for you 

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

We haven't learned from the Shane Long saga. He has more to offer than Long yes but for £75k surely we could have signed somebody better... and on less wages.

Precisely, was shocked when I saw we've given him 75k for two years. The only silver lining is we haven't done the same with Bertrand. 

So the club are happy to spend £75k a week on an aging benchwarmer that hasn’t exactly set our world alight, yet they’ve got the cheek to charge a load of long term ST holders an extra £300 a season for a padded seat in the Kingsland to add to their match day “experience”.

Cunts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

So the club are happy to spend £75k a week on an aging benchwarmer that hasn’t exactly set our world alight, yet they’ve got the cheek to charge a load of long term ST holders an extra £300 a season for a padded seat in the Kingsland to add to their match day “experience”.

Cunts.

To be fair we do not know that he is earning that. It is pure speculation. But you're not far wrong otherwise! Bad move by the club  

We were top of the league and bang in form when he was starting in the team regularly. Less than £10million spent overall to have him for 2 years is good value. For those saying there are better out there who would cost less in wages, well probably yeah - but what would there transfer fee be as well? 

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We were top of the league and bang in form when he was starting in the team regularly

No, we were briefly top of the League after the Newcastle game, which was Walcott's third appearance (and second win) for us. Half the reason we were top of the league then was three consecutive wins in games Walcott DIDN'T play any part in; Burnley, West Brom and Everton.

We're no better with him in the team than without.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ohio Saint said:

To justify his deal, Theo will have to catch fire next season. Hopefully figuratively, if not then literally is the only remaining option.

Might get some insurance money back if it's literal!

• 4 months later...

Was always a better athlete than a footballer, and now he’s older, even  that is fading fast. 

When buying players in the autumn of their careers, you should focus on the ones with an abundance of technical ability as that persists largely undiminished through the mid-30s and they can adapt positionally to compensate for the drop off in athleticism and speed. C Ronaldo’s second coming at United being the best example of the principle. Walcott arguably the best example of the opposite.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Walcott signing permanently is another example of how poor the club is being run.

His performance again yesterday was another non-event.  His efforts in stopping the cross for the Werner (disallowed) goal was pathetic

Oh fuck off. Yeah we get it you don’t rate him. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

They’re cheap squad options. Nothing more nothing less. We needed to add a bit of depth, given without him we’d have only had Redmond Elyounoussi Djenepo and Armstrong who can play as “10’s”. We don’t have a spare £30m to spend on a wide player. If he’d cost us £4m plus £37k a week, no one would be complaining

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They’re cheap squad options. Nothing more nothing less. We needed to add a bit of depth, given without him we’d have only had Redmond Elyounoussi Djenepo and Armstrong who can play as “10’s”. We don’t have a spare £30m to spend on a wide player. If he’d cost us £4m plus £37k a week, no one would be complaining

And Tella, giving 5 players competing for two spots. More than enough. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

But that is not reality