Other Games 21/22

whelk

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Palace, Brighton, Leeds, Brentford and Burnley - all teams we should be competing with and most definitely not losing.

However they have all picked up fight and form in the past few weeks. 
Six points from those games plus the remaining ones and I’d bite your hand off right now.

You'd bite my hand off to lose 7 of our last 9 games?

This season could end up being one of those where 9th place has 48 points and 17th has like 38 points, but probably unlikely.

Think similar to Puel’s 2016/17 season although that was only a 6pt gap between 8th and 17th.

• Like 1

If we thought the premier league VAR was bad I have been watching America vs Toluca in the Mexican league. Raised from incompetent to obviously corrupt. America awarded a clearly offside goal in the 3rd minute even after review and Toluca did not get a really clear penalty in the 70th min. Despite  being 3-0 up the America players complaining to the ref. I wonder how much it costs to bribe a Mexican ref and VAR team.

Edited by Mystic Force

15 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

If we thought the premier league VAR was bad I have been watching America vs Toluca in the Mexican league. Raised from incompetent to obviously corrupt. America awarded a clearly offside goal in the 3rd minute even after review and Toluca did not get a really clear penalty in the 70th min. Despite  being 3-0 up the America players complaining to the ref. I wonder how much it costs to bribe a Mexican ref and VAR team.

If you'd had the sound turned up really loud I think you would have heard the ref saying "It's gonna cost you 12 Peso's and my sister wants to live in America, then I think it will be a penalty" 

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Nowt much going on - but seeing as this is The Other Games thread - amazed we all missed this remarkable quarter final last minute winner for Gedling Southbank FC under 12's in their Cup Quarter Final. at the weekend.

Take a bow son

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60834496

You have to question the keeper, even Forster could have stopped that.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Nowt much going on - but seeing as this is The Other Games thread - amazed we all missed this remarkable quarter final last minute winner for Gedling Southbank FC under 12's in their Cup Quarter Final. at the weekend.

Take a bow son

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60834496

Wonder what the xG was...

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

OMG

2018 don’t qualify for WC for first time

2020 (2021) win Euros

2022 don’t qualify for WC

mental and from never not being at WC to now going have 12 years since they were last at one 

#bringBalehome

OK it's not a real hashtag and it'll never happen, but it'd be neat to see him back at SMS next season. He's still got it. Great win for Wales against a difficult Austria side. Scotland or Ukraine now in their way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

#bringBalehome

OK it's not a real hashtag and it'll never happen, but it'd be neat to see him back at SMS next season. He's still got it. Great win for Wales against a difficult Austria side. Scotland or Ukraine now in their way.

The lovely New Forest golf courses will be the clincher 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

#bringBalehome

I wouldn’t want it to happen, personally. He’ll be 33, is barely fit and will want enormous wages.

• Like 1

I still stand by Austria would have taken Italy to penalties in Euro 2020(1) had Italy not had five subs, which allowed them to bring on Locatelli, Belotti, Chiesa and the goalscorer Pessina, while Austria were very much lowering the on pitch quality with their subs. And then, who knows what may have happened from the lottery of the penalties. 🙁

As for Bale, as much as I enjoyed watching him a few years ago, he's not that player anymore and despite his good scoring record for Spurs when he returned, I don't think he was a huge success there and certainly not what they were expecting/hoping for. 20 league matches with only 10 of them being starts. His pace is completely gone and he was invisible in some games as much as he was scoring important goals in others. His heart hasn't been in club football for a number of years now, he did reach the top and win it all to be fair to him. But, his main focus is Wales and golf now. There were even rumours of him retiring last year, he doesn't have the hunger for it and after the success of Walcott's return, I'd hope that if it ever does become a possibility that we'd give it a hard pass.

58 minutes ago, whelk said:

Hard to square this stat as well

North Macedonia have only lost 1 of their last 10  World Cup qualifiers, which included an away win against Germany. It was Germany's first defeat in a World Cup qualifier for more than 20 years.  All of the former Yugoslav republics are good at football.

Edited by Nordic Saint

20 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

As for Bale, as much as I enjoyed watching him a few years ago, he's not that player anymore and despite his good scoring record for Spurs when he returned, I don't think he was a huge success there and certainly not what they were expecting/hoping for. 20 league matches with only 10 of them being starts. His pace is completely gone and he was invisible in some games as much as he was scoring important goals in others. His heart hasn't been in club football for a number of years now, he did reach the top and win it all to be fair to him. But, his main focus is Wales and golf now. There were even rumours of him retiring last year, he doesn't have the hunger for it and after the success of Walcott's return, I'd hope that if it ever does become a possibility that we'd give it a hard pass.

He still looked pretty quick against the Austrian defenders. I would certainly have Gareth over Dan James.

With their last World Cup being the one in 2014. You would probably trade one World Cup qualification for a Euros win, but missing out on two qualifications is pretty miserable for what is still football’s biggest competition.

9 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

With their last World Cup being the one in 2014. You would probably trade one World Cup qualification for a Euros win, but missing out on two qualifications is pretty miserable for what is still football’s biggest competition.

Yes, just like 1974 and 1978 were miserable for England fans.

Yeah, certainly not hyped for it. Maybe I'll get sucked in towards the later stages, but the human right violations is a big turn off. Especially, as we have to endure kneeling, clapping, silence, tweeting, lecturing, all from these guys who are happy to go over there to make more money, more fame, more adulation. 

A bunch of hypocrites. Just shows that its all a bunch of virtue signalling and nothing else.