Newcastle to bid for JWP in Jan?

Dorchester Saint

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19678070.newcastle-reportedly-eye-january-james-ward-prowse-bid/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

According to the echo Newcastle are set to make a bid for JWP in January. Personally I don’t believe we would sell mid season, but for silly cash who knows. Aside from his dead balls, I think he’s quite limited and we’ve seen recently that we can cope without him. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It is not according to the Echo. They have rehashed an article from Football Insider by Wayne Veysey, who is an appalling 'journalist' who makes up every story.

• Like 3

Newcastle are going to face the problem of everyone knowing they're minted so teams will hold out for massive fees. This plus the facts he's our captain, a key player, it's mid-season and he just signed a new contract would suggest to me it's very unlikely because we will (rightly) ask for shitloads for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It’s an Echo article Mr Pedantic. 

I know it is, but you said the Echo were the ones making the claim. But they are just rehashing an appalling website that makes up nonsense to get clicks. Plus there is a question mark in the thread title, but no question. 🤔

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is not according to the Echo. They have rehashed an article from Football Insider by Wayne Veysey, who is an appalling 'journalist' who makes up every story.

The fact that the echo are using this clown as a source sums up how far our local paper has fallen in recent years 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The fact that the echo are using this clown as a source sums up how far our local paper has fallen in recent years 

I agree Turkish! It isn't sports journalism at the Echo any more, they simply rehash stories from other media publications. Surely they don't teach this on journalism degree courses!

copy paste GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

It’s an Echo article Mr Pedantic. 

In fairness to MLG, echo exclusives are normally pretty on the money but they also have a bad habit of reposting others' exclusives who are less reputable. In this case they are not claiming it themselves they are reporting football insider has claimed it and FI are honestly one of the least reliable sources out there. 

Edited by TWar

Crazy idea to sell one of our better players.  We have three decent central mids who play differently to each other - JWP, Romeu and Diallo.  That give Ralph options to select the team that best suits the opponent and gives us scope to cover injuries and or suspensions without having to put S Armstong or Moi into CM.  We haven't done it yet, but I could see us playing all three in a 4-3-3. 

Anything north of 40m and we should seriously consider taking the money and running. 

Diallo is more than suitable to replace and we could add 2 or 3 players with a bit of quality in areas we need. 

A very limited player aside from free kicks and as I said in another thread, we’re a better team without him playing. Unfortunately we won’t get £40m or more, though. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Anything north of 40m and we should seriously consider taking the money and running. 

Diallo is more than suitable to replace and we could add 2 or 3 players with a bit of quality in areas we need. 

A very limited player aside from free kicks and as I said in another thread, we’re a better team without him playing. Unfortunately we won’t get £40m or more, though. 

I couldn't agree more.

How much more exciting has the team looked over the last 3 games?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

All things considered (and that includes the likelihood that this thread is premised on a made up article), I'm also in the "bite their hand off for c.£50" camp.

As much as I admire JWP, I think there would be mutual benefit in him embarking on a new challenge at this stage of his career. As people have highlighted, we seem to have a bit more fluidity/energy in our midfield whilst he's been out. We ought to be able to use the proceeds of selling JWP to purchase another player in the Diallo or JWP mould and, maybe, a new keeper and/or a creative Tadic-esque mid-fielder. 

Freshening things up in this way somehow feels the right thing to do (just a gut feel), despite there also being logic in not selling one of our key players (and captain) mid-way through the season.

p.s. plus it might open up a pathway into the first team set-up for promising U18/U23 midfielders such as Watts, Chauke, Finnigan or Ballard...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Poor Newcastle. This is the level of player they are going to have to over pay for to show the ambition of being the richest club in the world.

They are going to spunk billions over the net few seasons on players and managers while desperately seeking the promised land.

While in reality, geography and mentality of the people will always contain them as also rans......at best

I'll be happy if we can rob them of some of the wealth along the way though. Anything north of 50 and he goes with my blessing. 

• Like 1

Swings and roundabouts. Yes, we know Newcastle are "minted" so we could hold out for £50m. But then, when we try to buy someone with the proceeds of that sale, teams will know we're "holding the folding" and will automatically put their prices up once they know we're interested. And if we're still sitting around 17th (not saying we will be by then, but.....) decent players will be reluctant to come. Stick with JWP at least until next summer I say.

• Like 1

Should be charging £50-60m plus for the now minted human rights abusers. They're going to be proper in the mire by january and desperate.

Hope they go down to be honest.

Edit - they're rumoured to be keeping their net spend in January to 50-60m, so they can't afford JWP regardless. Not with needing an entire new back 4 to stay in the league 😆

Edited by Saint86

3 hours ago, CWD said:

Newcastle are going to face the problem of everyone knowing they're minted so teams will hold out for massive fees. This plus the facts he's our captain, a key player, it's mid-season and he just signed a new contract would suggest to me it's very unlikely because we will (rightly) ask for shitloads for him.

But then surely that problem is then passed on to the selling club?  Any replacements they are looking to sign will have inflated asking prices as the selling club will know the buying club has excess funds sloshing around due to receiving an over-inflated price.  With their newfound wealth I think the last club that will worry about that kind of scenario will be Newcastle.

Edited by sambosa75

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Poor Newcastle. This is the level of player they are going to have to over pay for to show the ambition of being the richest club in the world.

They are going to spunk billions over the net few seasons on players and managers while desperately seeking the promised land.

While in reality, geography and mentality of the people will always contain them as also rans......at best

I'll be happy if we can rob them of some of the wealth along the way though. Anything north of 50 and he goes with my blessing. 

Throw enough shit at a wall and some of it will stick.  As long as the new owners are there to finance it, Newcastle will become a major force regardless of this ridiculous cluthing-at-straws notion of geography somehow being a factor in attracting talent.  It is inevitable. Get used to it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

Throw enough shit at a wall and some of it will stick.  As long as the new owners are there to finance it, Newcastle will become a major force regardless of this ridiculous cluthing-at-straws notion of geography somehow being a factor in attracting talent.  It is inevitable. Get used to it. 

Yep, it’ll take a few years like it did with Man City. They took years to build the team that they have now. They were signing the likes of Adam Johnson, Jolson Lescott and Jack Gareth Barry not that long ago good players at the time but not top players. Newcastle will become a major force if the owners want them too but they won’t be signing top tier players straight away, they have to build a squad over time. The fact Newcastle in the north east is totally irrelevant 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

We would get the best out of JWP if he had better forward players around him.

When he plays for England, he’s much more positive with the ball and always looks to go forward.

For Saints, he’s just another cog in the ‘ball recycling’ process.

He is a great player.

I totally agree and have made this point myself, but that could also be a good argument for him moving on and testing himself at a higher level

• Like 2

the new contract means, for once, we are in the driving seat. No reason for us to sell unless we get an offer that is too good to turn down. Perfect situation.  As for whether we should sell if a good offer comes, the half decent three games without him shouldn't disguise the fact that he has been a decent player for us and we don't have an embarrassment of riches in CM, no matter how much I rate Romeu and Diallo. Having three decent players for two positions is a good thing - lets enjoy that while we can.

If the right money is offered you do get a chance to replace him and strengthen elsewhere - our financial model relies on a decent sale every other season. Having said all that, I'd be surprised if we sold. I don't think Newcastle will offer enough to tempt us.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I think if we could sell him and replace him with one of 2 players then it should be done. I personally feel he slows our game down and gives the opponents time to reset. No denying his gives his all but it comes to something when a recycling midfielder is the player we need to get excited about!!

Despite what some of the sillier comments from pundits Newcastle won't have limitless funds and very much doubt they would be bidding enough to tempt us (c£50m) or him (c£150k a week). They will almost certainly be concentrating on loan signings from here and abroad and any players deemed surplus by 1 of the big 6 who would be willing to come for around their current money to get games/get back into their international teams, e.g. Lingard

4 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I don't really think that a newly minted club will be setting their sights on a solid but unspectacular player like JWP. It's hardly a marque signing or statement of intent.

You are probably right, but some of the goals he has scored have been spectacular and I think he's regarded by officials at our club and others in higher esteem than by many Saints fans. Villa were clearly interested and they were looking to make progress just as Newcastle are. Newcastle won't find it easy to bring in world class players overnight. They might need to make intermediate steps.

Edited by Chez

Could be a good strategy by Newcastle - in January just make disruptive awkward bids for the best players from the clubs around you in the relegation zone. Ward Prowse, Tarkowski, Zaha, Toney. Just chuck in some big bids, make some noise in the press, wave some money in argents faces: unsettle them and if they prise them away in January it makes direct rivals weaker as well as own team stronger. Even if they don't sign them it might just fuck up rivals dressing rooms a bit. Get the stories and rumours in the press from about December.

Everyone hates Newcastle now so they might as well be pricks about it. 

• Like 1

Diallo over JWP for me any day of the week. JWP's passes take an eternity to reach a forward player because of the spin he puts on the ball. Gareth Southgate is right: not good enough for England and I would say not good enough for Saints either. If Newcastle offer £35 million, bite their hand off.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Diallo over JWP for me any day of the week. JWP's passes take an eternity to reach a forward player because of the spin he puts on the ball. Gareth Southgate is right: not good enough for England and I would say not good enough for Saints either. If Newcastle offer £35 million, bite their hand off.

you might be right, you might be wrong, one thing is true though. only one of them has caps and international goals though.

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

They don't play in the same role and why on earth would Mount leave the European Champions?

If they double his wages and throw him a chunky signing on fee, Newcastle will suddenly become the club he's always dreamed of playing for. That said, I suspect their policy will be to be slightly less ambitious in terms of signings in January, and CB Fry's theory above sounds credible to me. 

I'm a JWP fan but he does have his limitations. Personally I think he's at the peak of what we could achieve for him price-wise, and I'd sell him for anything north of £50 million. Whether or not the club would want to sell Mr Southampton is another thing but his sale would really give us scope to strengthen the first team at a time when we're basically skint. I'm glad he didn't go to Villa, and I'm glad we signed a new contract, and part of me wants us to keep him, but I wouldn't fully begrudge him going to a cash-rich, ambitious Newcastle side as one of the 'marquee' signings they want to make.

Besides, as people have said, with Diallo and Romeu in the middle of late, and with Redmond taking the corners (one of which Livramento scored from), we wouldn't necessarily be that worse off without him.

6 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

£35 million? This is similar money that someone on here banded about in the summer when Villa were interested. Please! He's one of our most important players, an England International, heading into his peak as a footballer, reliable, consistent, with a good Engine, rarely ever injured, with a new long term contract, and versatile enough to play in a few positions. We would be grossly shooting ourselves in the foot for £35 million. Also I don't remember seeing Southgate say he's not good enough for England, he picked him recently and he played well.

If I were Newcastle, sure I'd be trying to get him for that - but it isn't going to happen. His worth to us is north of £50 million towards £60 million whether Newcastle value him at that or not... that is the price they would probably have to pay, especially as everyone knows they have dosh to splash.

Said it in the summer and am even more certain now: the money we'd get for him is more important than his football abilities.

Get £60m and invest it well.

I am hoping he doesn't get picked this weekend. Why upset an improving and more dynamic midfield?

24 minutes ago, Bob76 said:

Stunning how easily people want to get rid of one of our most consistent performers. Last season he was un-droppable now after six games people want rid to be replaced by some unknowns. Weird. 

Its what we do, sell big buy low. 60m+ for JWP is crazy money tbh. Mind you its all pie in the sky anyway, tabloid rumours.