Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Because it was 0-0 and no damage had been done. It was fairly even. 

I felt we'd see Aribo in the second half and that injection could help us as they tired, and it did - but we gave up two goals before that annoyingly.

I think it's fairly clear the starting formation doesn't sit well with the players we have, not just CB's but the attacking options as well. What I found frustrating in the first half was the lack of width provided by Elyounoussi or Armstrong, it was all very central and we were soly relying on KWP and Moussa to provide that width, thus leaving us exposed down the flanks. If we had better attackers (and a better left back) it could potentially work, but I don't think we have the players to play this way at the mo.

yeah I think the formation is completely unsuitable. Like multiple players short, not just one or 2. Even someone like kwp looked so much better in a regular fullback role. 

Just got back from the game.

First half was fairly even, nothing between the teams, other than a chance Leeds probably should've scored.

To concede immediately after half-time is really, really poor. And at 2-0 you think it's game over.

We looked so much better when Armstrong, Aribo and Mara came on. I can see the logic with the 5-3-2, we have conceded too many goals and Ralph had to try to change it. But all it has achieved is made us weaker in attack, and we're still shit at defending. It's simply got to go, it doesn't work, and those last 20 minutes show that. 

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 9

Just now, Baird of the land said:

yeah I think the formation is completely unsuitable. Like multiple players short, not just one or 2. Even someone like kwp looked so much better in a regular fullback role. 

That's because he had support from Aribo. Likewise, Moussa had support from Armstrong (who was making runs in front of him).

I don't think there is much future in it after today, I'd be surprised to see it as a starting formation. I think there is a potential place for it in terms of an in-game change, but starting with it never seems to work with us and the players we have.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, chi saint said:

Another words Saints didn't deserve anything from the game and the draw was all down 1. The weather 2. Bamford being subbed.

Jeez, accept we had a reasonable and certainly as good a first half as Leeds, then came back strongly and deserved the result.

I wonder why so many of you bother following us, as you don't seem to want to offer praise when it is deserved.

Saints did deserve a draw, no one said otherwise. What was suggested by myself was that Leeds tired after going at it too hard which assisted us in getting back into the game. 

I for one will certainly give praise when it is due and also criticise when it is due. Saints were woeful first half and much better second half. Ralph seeing sense and changing the formation along with the substitutions markedly helped, plus Leeds legs had gone. 

A draw was a fair result and the second half showed how we could play especially when all the new faces bed in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fanimal said:

Please please please fgs never play Elyonoussi ever again 

We cannot afford passengers any longer 

Honestly, I can’t remember someone being so utterly ineffective for us in quite a while. And it’s a really low benchmark. Elmo was terrible today.

2 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Please please please fgs never play Elyonoussi ever again 

We cannot afford passengers any longer 

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, truth be told we have little choice in the matter. With the 5 subs rule, changes will become a necessity, rather than an option. If your opponents are bringing on three or four fresh faces, you will need to counter than in attack and defence. That's why I wasn't particularly shocked or surprised to see him start ahead of Aribo and it worked to an extent. It's the football equivalent of using the right bowlers at the right time in a cricket T20, not just using all your best players at the start.

I think there's going to be a lot more of this kind of thing from everyone, not just Saints.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, truth be told we have little choice in the matter. With the 5 subs rule, changes will become a necessity, rather than an option. If your opponents are bringing on three or four fresh faces, you will need to counter than in attack and defence. That's why I wasn't particularly shocked or surprised to see him start ahead of Aribo and it worked to an extent. It's the football equivalent of using the right bowlers at the right time in a cricket T20, not just using all your best players at the start.

I think there's going to be a lot more of this kind of thing from everyone, not just Saints.

Nigel Adkins ahead of his time, he used Lambert off the bench to great effect, against Man City and his final game at Chelsea

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It would be a decent tactic if he was any good though. But he's crap and when he's on the pitch he doesn't offer anything.

It was up to him and Armstrong in the first half to link the play, find the space, cross into the box. And they failed miserably. Elyounoussi more so, one of his attempted crosses into the box was so bad I wondered if a fan was on the pitch.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

That's not far off half a season of games with one win and hardly any draws. If that form happened over one season we'd be looking at Derby County levels of points. I hope for Ralph's sake he can turn it around and hopefully with the new boys seemingly settling in well it's not impossible but Ralph has to stop being stubborn and select his best side from the start, even if it means changing his formation.

“Past performance is no indication of future performance”

Just now, chi saint said:

Another words Saints didn't deserve anything from the game and the draw was all down 1. The weather 2. Bamford being subbed.

Jeez, accept we had a reasonable and certainly as good a first half as Leeds, then came back strongly and deserved the result.

I wonder why so many of you bother following us, as you don't seem to want to offer praise when it is deserved.

Steady on. There are lots of factors that alter the course of a match. How the opposition dugout manages their game is one. I'm sure Leeds will feel they could have managed their game better having been 0-2 up on 70 minutes.

Unfortunately, I don't think we had as good a first half performance as Leeds. They exploited the space created by our centre half's moving wide and also kept more possession which is golden in hot conditions. The individual performances were generally good but the formation didn't allow us to throw many punches and at times we were long balling straight back to Leeds players.

Leeds came out second half very aggressive and they seemed to catch us off-guard. Then, using the corner routine that they'd already tried 3 times prior, eventually found success on the fourth attempt. 0-2. This was the hour mark. At this point we should have changed our shape but we did at least introduce some fresh legs. 10 minutes later, we finally change shape and the contrast is immediately apparent (70 minute mark). We were much more aggressive against the ball, Armstrong did excellent to run with the ball and assist Aribo. We seemed to be playing as much more as a unit both defensively and attackingly. The introduction of fresh legs was effective against a Leeds side starting to tire and that also really helped us get on the front foot.

Although the strategic changes should have come earlier in my view, Ralph did at least start introducing fresh legs to the team. He managed the game much better than Marsch did. I was surprised that Marsch didn't introduce any fresh legs to his team until the last 10 minutes given his pre-match press conference comments about knowing how to manage in hot conditions. Ralph got the better of Marsch in that regard.

The last 20 minutes I thought we were excellent. Walker-Peters is comfortably our best player, Bella-Kotchop looks more than capable of playing in a back two with Salisu, Aribo is quality and Mara looks like he has something about him and his introduction seemed to lift the team. I've already praised their second half performance in this thread, it was clear the players really worked hard to claw that game back so full credit to all of them. I thought the strategic changes, when they came, changed the game positively so well done to Ralph for that.

However, I must admit, my enthusiasm for Ralph jaded after the second 9-0 defeat. I remained firmly a supporter of him until I lost all faith at the tail end of last season. I've always admired his passion and commitment to the club but recently I've found his starting selections, formations and in-game management frankly baffling at times and our form makes it difficult to believe in what he's doing. One game, that saw us claw our way back from 0-2 down at home against a side where a draw should have been a minimum expectation, won't go a long way to changing my opinion. The starting line-up today was the wrong approach in my view.

That said, I always back the team 100% when I'm in attendance and don't partake in negative chants. I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years and attend a handful of away games every season so I know how damaging a toxic atmosphere can be. If it was my call, Ralph would have gone at the end of last season and I would have thanked him for his service to the club, but it's not my call so whilst he's here, I hope he get's us playing like I believe these players can.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaveloyMush said:

KWP, with JWP at RB, given that he's not doing much in midfield at present. Romeu and Lavia shielding, Aribo and SA as the 10s and Mara and Adams up top.

Agree maybe worth trying JWP at right back with Salisu , Kotchop and KWP. I'd probably only go with one shielding and that would be Lavia. Then Aribo, SA and Djenepo who I think has a lot to offer offensively. Up top either Adams and Mara or Adam Armstrong.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It would be a decent tactic if he was any good though. But he's crap and when he's on the pitch he doesn't offer anything.

It was up to him and Armstrong in the first half to link the play, find the space, cross into the box. And they failed miserably. Elyounoussi more so, one of his attempted crosses into the box was so bad I wondered if a fan was on the pitch.

But who else do you play instead of him?

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

But who else do you play instead of him?

Assuming a 4-2-2-2. Armstrong and Aribo are first choice. Then Mara. I would also have Djenepo above him if he's not playing fullback. At least Djenepo gets stuck in and sometimes makes things happen. Then there is Redmond as well who I would play before seeing Moi again. Failing all of the above, I would have Lavia and Romeu as the holding mids and push JWP into the 10s. That's how out of the way I would go to avoid seeing him play for us. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's because he had support from Aribo. Likewise, Moussa had support from Armstrong (who was making runs in front of him).

I don't think there is much future in it after today, I'd be surprised to see it as a starting formation. I think there is a potential place for it in terms of an in-game change, but starting with it never seems to work with us and the players we have.

Yes but the whole issue with both systems is we have to many players to far advanced leaving two at the back or even three slow central defenders. Either way it’s Ralph’s coaching which is at fault and not the systems as such.

Ralph just doesn’t seem to give the players enough instruction and hence they look bewildered most of the time. 

The problem is Ralph and not systems .. 

• Like 1

The problem with playing three CBs is that you often find at least one, maybe even two of them arent marking anybody for periods. Teams very rarely these days play two strikers right up on top of the CBs. They're dropping into midfield or pulling wide to try and move the CBs about. With these players dropping into the gaps it puts more pressure on our midfield and wing backs as CBs are reluctant to be pulled way out of position, even in a three. It also doesnt help our press when you're sacrificing a midfielder/attacker who is needed to initiate the press, for the sake of another CB. 

With the midfield getting overun we find ourselves sitting deeper with the three CBs which doesnt play to our strengths or counter our weaknesses. I could understand if our CBs lacked the pace or physicality to go man for man at the back, but Salisu and ABK are both quick and very physical to deal with most threats. With Lavia offering protection that could be a very useful trio in a 4222.

As has already been pointed out, we shouldnt be adapting the system to suit the new players, it should be the other way round. The new players in the squad would probably be more comfortable with the 4222 as opposed to a 532.

Regardless of formation, we need to get much better at the basics for dealing with crosses and set pieces. The first Leeds goal was as easy as they come. Rodrigo makes the run across the front, and although there seemed to be communication from Salisu to Bednarek (perhaps too late) to pass him on, Bednarek doesnt react and its an easy goal. 

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 2

Delighted to see A.A. make a meaningful impact today, very telling that when played as part of an attacking system, not alone he could make a difference. With Aribo and Mara offering multiple challenges for opposing defences he can, I believe still come good.

All credit to our new signings today though, hope lays with them.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Colinjb said:

Delighted to see A.A. make a meaningful impact today, very telling that when played as part of an attacking system, not alone he could make a difference. With Aribo and Mara offering multiple challenges for opposing defences he can, I believe still come good.

All credit to our new signings today though, hope lays with them.

AA has the pace, control, passing game  and shot which Elyounoussi will never have, and is a much better part of an attacking system which could usefully include any of Aribo, Mara, Stu, Adams and a new striker.     Reverting to four at the back immediately freed the team up - got rid of the static Bednarek, allowed KWP to play his attacking game and gave Salisu and ABK the space to show they have the mobility and anticipation to present a solid central defence; especially with the impressive Lavia in front of them.  Much maligned Djenepo was again a solid contributor.  Clearly he will make way when Perraud returns to fitness or Tino returns, at which point he too is in the wide attacking mix ahead of Redmond and Elyounoussi.     Lavia's immediate impact certainly spells trouble for Diallo and Romeu - although I would always be advocating a three in midfield in certain games instead of playing three CBs.

That last 20 minutes must have given every Saints supporter a lift.    If Ralph is kept on - he has to show he has learned about his players and a system that suits them - something which many on this forum had already identified.

• Like 3

Back home. For 70 minutes it was atrocious football and Ralph and the players deservedly got stick after going 2 down. 

The change of shape happened and we looked a much more balanced team, we actually created chances and were entertaining to watch. 

Think the fan base is very much anti Ralph and rightfully so. It's pretty clear that most match going fans want him gone. 1 win in 15 games and it was an absolute fluke of a win vs Arsenal. Sports Republic should appoint their own team to run the club. 

Edited by Saints foreva
  • Like 4

Seeing as play instantly sped up once Ralph's tactics were removed from the game its obvious our painfully slow build up is coached into the team.

Armstrong instantly got the type of ball he craves and created the opportunity. 

The new players played their way rather than Ralph's and we became dangerous. 

Saints media are trying to spin this as a positive for Ralph but to me it shows why he has to go. He is and always was the problem.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Seeing as play instantly sped up once Ralph's tactics were removed from the game its obvious our painfully slow build up is coached into the team.

Saints media are trying to spin this as a positive for Ralph but to me it shows why he has to go. He is and always was the problem.

To be honest I can see why we looked at the start of this season and decided to try 5 at the back as having both Perraud and Livo injured always meant we were going to be exposed somewhere.  Expected they hoped to minimise this exposure by using Moussa as a wing back rather than a left back.

• Like 5

All five of the new signings look good and possibly significant improvements. After years of more epic fails than hits in the transfer market that’s a real step in the right direction, both immediately and with the prospect of future transfer window choices. 

If we had started with those five playing we’d have strolled it. Ralph cost us 2 points with that team selection. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

Assuming a 4-2-2-2. Armstrong and Aribo are first choice. Then Mara. I would also have Djenepo above him if he's not playing fullback. At least Djenepo gets stuck in and sometimes makes things happen. Then there is Redmond as well who I would play before seeing Moi again. Failing all of the above, I would have Lavia and Romeu as the holding mids and push JWP into the 10s. That's how out of the way I would go to avoid seeing him play for us. 

Like. 

Edited by stknowle

Frustrating game, looked doomed at 0-2, sloppy defending and a team looking short of confidence, can't agree with fans singing sacked in the morning save that for the end of the game. 

Good comeback , hadn't seen us doing that , Aribo looks like he just loves getting involved full of energy. 

Leicester away, Cambridge away, Man Utd home next , opportunity to build on the last 20 mins try and put a run together. 

2 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

So the 4222 is only Ralph’s when we lose? Not when it works?

• Like 6

Good to see Ralph’s famed 4222 formation is now being lauded by the people who were slaughtering him for it last season.

When you’ve got no left full back, playing with wing backs makes sense - the problem is the third CB is always going to be a liability for us because we only have two good ones. Hopefully Perraud is back soon and the 4222 returns as it is without doubt our best setup with the players we have. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, truth be told we have little choice in the matter. With the 5 subs rule, changes will become a necessity, rather than an option. If your opponents are bringing on three or four fresh faces, you will need to counter than in attack and defence. That's why I wasn't particularly shocked or surprised to see him start ahead of Aribo and it worked to an extent.

It's the football equivalent of using the right bowlers at the right time in a cricket T20, not just using all your best players at the start.

Good observation Lighthouse. 

In a game where we "gifted" two goal to the opposition, it was a good turnaround in a game we had effectively " lost " after 60 minutes.

Many people see the start side as the manager's best / first choice selection, and the substitutes as " second best " after the first guy has " failed ".

You don't see the real pattern of the game until it really develops and we can now use 5 subs. as a new tactic rather than a poor option. 

Using your cricket analogy, a  change of formation, good use of subs. is like putting on a spin bowler on a turning pitch, or getting " the new ball ".

It was the subs. who saved the game v. Leeds.    Adam. A  showed his pace with a good assist for Aribo, and Mara's  great defence-splitting pass 

put it on a plate for KWP who finished well from a very tight angle. 

• Like 1

As pointed out all the new signings look like an improvement on what we've got, although it wouldn't be too cynical to say that most of us would say that's not too difficult!

For all the talk about 3 CBs not working, and I'd prefer 4 at the back myself when Perraud/Tino are available, both of their goals seemed fairly straightforward bad individual marking and general sloppiness. Some would argue that that was due to a confusion in roles but marking in the box is basic technique not strategy.

If Bednarek really did have a strop after being taken off as I couldn't see it from my seat, he really needs to have a look at his own performances. I'd be happier with ABK and Salisu, and allow for the occasional ricket their inexperience might produce.

Lets hope the players take on board that St Marys really can rock if they give us something to cheer about.

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

As pointed out all the new signings look like an improvement on what we've got, although it wouldn't be too cynical to say that most of us would say that's not too difficult!

For all the talk about 3 CBs not working, and I'd prefer 4 at the back myself when Perraud/Tino are available, both of their goals seemed fairly straightforward bad individual marking and general sloppiness. Some would argue that that was due to a confusion in roles but marking in the box is basic technique not strategy.

If Bednarek really did have a strop after being taken off as I couldn't see it from my seat, he really needs to have a look at his own performances. I'd be happier with ABK and Salisu, and allow for the occasional ricket their inexperience might produce.

Lets hope the players take on board that St Marys really can rock if they give us something to cheer about.

Yeah, proof that the sarcastic comment from Semmens at the fans forum when he claimed if the fans don't show up the players don't show up was a piece of petty arrogance from someone who should know better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, proof that the sarcastic comment from Semmens at the fans forum when he claimed if the fans don't show up the players don't show up was a piece of petty arrogance from someone who should know better.

Walker-Peters claimed that the fans do help.

9 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

All the players you mentioned played anyway with the exception of Redmond and Romeu. The latter would mean completely changing the way we play, with the less mobile Romeu in the middle and JWP as a #10. So all you're really saying is you'd rather we played Redmond than Moi. Fair enough, I wouldn't say that's wrong but he's hardly night and day better than Moi. Both are substandard at this level.

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Penny for bednerak's thoughts this morning.

Seemingly had a strop after being told he was coming off and then watches the team perform excellently for the last 20mins.

I like that he was angered to be taken off: suggests desire to be out there and helping the team.

But we need better than he can bring to us: strength, pace, ability on the ball, passing, oh, and um.... defending. We may have found his replacement in ABK.

30 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

If Bednarek really did have a strop after being taken off as I couldn't see it from my seat, he really needs to have a look at his own performances.

Absolutely this. Yet again he was caught ball watching yesterday and allowed Rodrigo to run in completely unmarked to score for their first. Just like last week when he left Dier completely free to head in Spurs' second. His ability to read danger is abysmal.

If yesterday was ABK's baseline level and he is only going to get better from there then hopefully that's the last we'll be seeing of Bedders for a while. 

• Like 2

only got the MOTD clips to go on, but from those tiny snippets I couldn't help but notice that Salisu's marking is woeful from a couple of crosses. Ball watches badly. 

Also noticed some major badge kissing from KWP after the goal. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign these days, but as last season, he looks very happy in a Saints shirt.

AA looked sharp.

That's all I've got. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

only got the MOTD clips to go on, but from those tiny snippets I couldn't help but notice that Salisu's marking is woeful from a couple of crosses. Ball watches badly. 

Also noticed some major badge kissing from KWP after the goal. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign these days, but as last season, he looks very happy in a Saints shirt.

AA looked sharp.

That's all I've got. 

Agree about Salisu. Whilst he's decent in general he is very poor from crosses into the box. He just seems to fall asleep. When you've got Bednarek doing the same then it's a recipe for disaster. 

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Agree about Salisu. Whilst he's decent in general he is very poor from crosses into the box. He just seems to fall asleep. When you've got Bednarek doing the same then it's a recipe for disaster. 

Maybe Bella Kotchop would be a good partner for Salisu - he looks good in the air so could be the dominant partner in terms of aerial battles. A bit like when Killer and Claus formed a decent pairing - Killer was always the one who'd go through brick walls to get his head on balls crossed into the box.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

AA looked sharp.

That's all I've got. 

I thought Salisu was meant to be quick? on one of the MOTD clips he looked like he was running with concrete boots on, Leeds player started about 10 yards behind him and still go to the ball ahead of him. 

I'm liking the fact we've got a bit more of a physical presence this season, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia, Aribo and Mara all look like units that are also mobile and can play, felt at times we've got buillied in the past, that wont happen with these boys there.

Think people describing Ralph as "lucky" based on yesterday is a bit disingenuous. Bearing in mind one of the biggest criticisms of him in recent time has been a slowness in responding to issues in the game... Well yesterday he changed it up and it completely rejuvenated the team.

By all means criticise the starting line up, tactics etc, but credit where credit is due as it was his decisions that rescued us a point. 

For me a lot will depend on how our starting XI looks v Leicester, but I'm cautiously optimistic that lessons have been learned...

• Like 2