James Ward-Prowse

Roger

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
On 16/08/2021 at 15:56, Scummer said:

Interesting tweet from Saints just now about JWP's career with the club. Didn't look like the kind of thing you'd release if a player was about to leave, in fact it was more like a contract extension piece.

😉

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Naive, means nothing. cf van Dijk.

We got a world record fee for a centre-back and even now it’s still 2nd highest transfer for a defensive position.

It does mean something - it’s strengthened our hand for one more year should he wish to leave assuming there is no low release clause.

• Like 2

Well, that's put those chats to bed. He's an important player for us and hopefully will be for years to come.

This gives him security and us security. We're protecting our asset value wise - another good couple of seasons and he's going to still command those high fee's. 

Good news all round really.

• Like 5

Good news for him, but for one year extra we will now be paying him a shit more money. The available budget for other players wages just got smaller.  If there was one year left and he signed a five year I'd be celebrating, but i think I will leave that to him and his agent. Congratulations to him, he has earned it.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Given that we're no doubt paying him a lot more and only getting an extra year added on, I can't imagine we've agreed to a particularly low release clause as well. Otherwise it's not in our interest to give the contract

Villa fans seem convinced that JWP will have a release clause in his contract now because he has the same agent that Grealish had, and that he'll be leaving next summer.

It's also the same agent that JWP had when he signed a new contract last season, as far as I know, and that appears not to have had a release clause.

If there is one, I reckon it'd most likely be a very high one, or a relegation release clause, otherwise, like you say, his last contract still had us in a very strong position.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Villa fans seem convinced that JWP will have a release clause in his contract now because he has the same agent that Grealish had, and that he'll be leaving next summer.

It's also the same agent that JWP had when he signed a new contract last season, as far as I know, and that appears not to have had a release clause.

If there is one, I reckon it'd most likely be a very high one, or a relegation release clause, otherwise, like you say, his last contract still had us in a very strong position.

Saints have never done release clauses

12 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

He had a four year contract on x wages with no release clause. We give him an extra year, on more wages, with a release clause added.  Yeah, sure.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

He had a four year contract on x wages with no release clause. We give him an extra year, on more wages, with a release clause added.  Yeah, sure.

Indeed. Grealish was replacing a shorter contract that already had a known (albeit smaller) release clause in it when he signed the last Villa one. Completely different situation.

what odds the agent fed Villa a line that they could get him for about £30m. They make a £25m bid, we tell them where to go, but now he can go back to Saints and ask for a new contract. Saints value him as a £35m+ player, thus they should pay him as one. His wage goes from £65k a week to £100k+ a week. Agent job done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

what odds the agent fed Villa a line that they could get him for about £30m. They make a £25m bid, we tell them where to go, but now he can go back to Saints and ask for a new contract. Saints value him as a £35m+ player, thus they should pay him as one. His wage goes from £65k a week to £100k+ a week. Agent job done.

If you could why wouldn’t you? Especially given his agent will have a good idea what we offered Ings and we’ve just trimmed best part of £300k a week off the wage bill 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Nah, something so simplistic would come out. I think it's nothing more than they made a bid, we said no, he said he wants to go, we said not now and we'll make it worth your while, he said that's cool. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you could why wouldn’t you? Especially given his agent will have a good idea what we offered Ings and we’ve just trimmed best part of £300k a week off the wage bill 

yep, that's an agent's job.

• Like 3

Our best player signs a new contract, and make no mistake if he had gone as well, we would be relegated come May......and what happens, he gets slagged off and criticised that's its for the money, release clauses etc......a decent set of fans would be backing him for his commitment and loyalty to the club while all  the other players sought after f*cked off!

I don't get the animosity towards JWP  and the attitudes of so called fans on here.

well done JWP......you might just have saved our season

• Like 10

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Naive, means nothing. cf van Dijk.

I disagree. It seems pretty clear to me that VVD bitterly regretted signing the extension with us. He got a pay rise for a few months after which he embarrassed himself going on strike etc. Clearly his ego was big enough to quickly recover though!! 

He could have gone to Liverp**l for £50m, all sorted quickly and we’d have had £25m less in the bank.

Financially, his extension was good for Saints (* if we hadn’t then wasted all the money) and made it harder for VVD to leave us.

JWP’s extension is undoubtedly good news. Worse case is we’ll get more cash if he’s sold. 

1 minute ago, jimmer42 said:

Our best player signs a new contract, and make no mistake if he had gone as well, we would be relegated come May......and what happens, he gets slagged off and criticised that's its for the money, release clauses etc......a decent set of fans would be backing him for his commitment and loyalty to the club while all  the other players sought after f*cked off!

I don't get the animosity towards JWP  and the attitudes of so called fans on here.

Behave!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Nah, something so simplistic would come out. I think it's nothing more than they made a bid, we said no, he said he wants to go, we said not now and we'll make it worth your while, he said that's cool. 

do teams make bids without chatting to an agent first (to find out if they want to join and how much they'd want paying)? 

Funny how they make a low bid then five minutes later he gets a new deal. You don't think the agent played a part in initiating that? 

It matters not. He got paid. Maybe with the money we need for that new keeper. 😏

Just now, Chez said:

do teams make bids without chatting to an agent first (to find out if they want to join and how much they'd want paying)? 

Funny how they make a low bid then five minutes later he gets a new deal. You don't think the agent played a part in initiating that? 

It matters not. He got paid. Maybe with the money we need for that new keeper. 😏

Yep, all deals involve a pre bid chat with the agent about wages, but that's completely different to the agent feeding a bullshit selling price to a potential buyer. Anyways, the details are irrelevant, he's signed and he's going anywhere for a while. 

1 hour ago, jimmer42 said:

One man alone will not save our season, we need at least 5 our 6 regulars to have a decent season for us to avoid relegation.  Much as this is good news, it guarantees nothing, we are still going to be in and around the dogfight places.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I haven’t been this excited since Frasier Forster signed a new deal…

When a new signing walks into our dressing room Ward Prowse is somebody who lets them know why it is an honour and a privilege to put our shirt on. He understands the culture of our club. He is 'our level' plus and his contribution around the club makes him invaluable to us. He is somebody you want about the club. What price do you put on that? 

I had hoped Danny Ings would also be in that mold but sadly not and I am convinced our run of bad form was down to his lack of commitment behind the scenes changing the momentum of the team after Christmas. I don't begrudge him that, it is football but I salute Ward Prowse for his commitment.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2