Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

Ipswich still to play Boro (H), Hull (A), Coventry (A) and Huddersfield (H).

Leeds still to play Blackburn (H), Boro (A), QPR (A) and ourselves.

Points will be dropped, but that will likely apply to us as well. Cant see us winning the remaining 6.

Gave up all hope after Boro but the teams around us are stuttering and it keeps pulling me back in 😵‍. Maybe Watford will put us out of our misery

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Gave up all hope after Boro but the teams around us are stuttering and it keeps pulling me back in

No it doesn’t, we’ve consistently been 10-15 points off the top of the table all season. That’s not about to drastically change in the final month. We’re fourth and this week’s results have just made us fourthier.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No it doesn’t, we’ve consistently been 10-15 points off the top of the table all season. That’s not about to drastically change in the final month. We’re fourth and this week’s results have just made us fourthier.

Alright dark cloud, just trying to spread a bit optimism fs 🙄

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think you can start the Saints v WBA play off build up thread now. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

didn't they once say man would never climb Everest?

I will hold my hands up and say that I never really believed that Neil Armstrong could ever do that but fair play he proved me wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I will hold my hands up and say that I never really believed that Neil Armstrong could ever do that but fair play he proved me wrong.

I made a similar mistake - believing that Edmund Hillary could never walk on the moon; but he did.

Maybe Saints will be promoted automatically this season.

I think i am right in saying, if we win our two game sin hand we will still be 4 points behind second place, yes? So 5 as we have a far worse GD. That would mean we have to get 5 points more than second place, in the last 4 games, so 1.25 points per game more. Not going to happen even if we win all 6 i suspect.

15 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I think i am right in saying, if we win our two game sin hand we will still be 4 points behind second place, yes? So 5 as we have a far worse GD. That would mean we have to get 5 points more than second place, in the last 4 games, so 1.25 points per game more. Not going to happen even if we win all 6 i suspect.

So we'd need to win all of our remaining games (1 vs Leicester 1v Leeds) and we'd need Lecister and ipswich to lose 2 games (well 1 additional to us for leicester) and Leeds to drop a point. 

Ipswich have arguably the hardest run in (Boro H, Hull A, Cov A, Huddersfield H) but I can't see either leeds or leciester failing to win in 2 games. 

I also can't see us beating either of them, so basically, 4th it is. 

HAd we not completely fluffed our lines over easter, then it would have been in our hands 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

Yes but they didn't have Russell Martin on the job. He'd probably swap out the Sherpas for Stephens and Manning 

Stephen’s in a hybrid role of mountaineer, Sherpa and donkey, he’s that good.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

So we'd need to win all of our remaining games (1 vs Leicester 1v Leeds) and we'd need Lecister and ipswich to lose 2 games (well 1 additional to us for leicester) and Leeds to drop a point. 

Ipswich have arguably the hardest run in (Boro H, Hull A, Cov A, Huddersfield H) but I can't see either leeds or leciester failing to win in 2 games. 

I also can't see us beating either of them, so basically, 4th it is. 

HAd we not completely fluffed our lines over easter, then it would have been in our hands 

The biggest hurdle is us winning all six games - not impossible but extremely unlikely. However, if we did somehow manage it I think we'd probably be promoted automatically. Ipswich have a tough run in and would need 3 wins out of their 4 games. Leeds would need to win their 3 games (if we beat them) and Boro away won't be easy. Clutching at more straws than a scarecrow having a wank I know but while there's hope....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure it counts if they’ve admitted to being a drugs cheat.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Ipswich still to play Boro (H), Hull (A), Coventry (A) and Huddersfield (H).

Leeds still to play Blackburn (H), Boro (A), QPR (A) and ourselves.

Points will be dropped, but that will likely apply to us as well. Cant see us winning the remaining 6.

Gave up all hope after Boro but the teams around us are stuttering and it keeps pulling me back in 😵‍. Maybe Watford will put us out of our misery

Ipswich are the ones that look like they might need help from saints based on the remaining fixtures.

Definitely more of a keegan ‘I’d love it…’ speech feel about a world where we win 6 including beating 2 of top 3 away

21 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Maybe top, but we were 2nd back in January

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Tella got some good minutes against the Hammers tonight. On the pitch when they scored both late goals. 

Amazing the nerve of some of these European teams beating teams from the best league in the world. No doubt Tim Sherwood will put it down to them having such easy games in their own leagues whereas some of ours have to play the likes of Luton and Burnley

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, whelk said:

Good send off for Klopp. 0-3

The only thing funnier than Klopp's Kids not winning anything in his final season, is for them to only win the Carabao Cup when there was so much talk of a quadruple a few weeks ago.

(fwiw, I still think they can probably turn the tie around in the 2nd leg and annoyingly probably win the league as well).

22 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It’s still hilarious ! Despite that I think the players of most teams are being flogged to death but you take the money ….

No doubt they will be off to the US or Australia to play pre-season friendlies. They don't moan about clocking up the miles and playing too many games then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

No doubt they will be off to the US or Australia to play pre-season friendlies. They don't moan about clocking up the miles and playing too many games then.

Gotta chase that £££. I believe Spurs have lined up two friendlies in Aus for the end of May. Crazy.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leicester has got to be one of the great footballing stories of failure - if they don’t go up 😂

And if they do they’ll get a points deduction

37 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

It will only be in the premier league, but what if they do not go up? 

They'll have to sell everyone who moves, and they have a transfer embargo so they wouldn't be able to replace.

No underestimating what failure would do to Leicester. Could end them as a club.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They'll have to sell everyone who moves, and they have a transfer embargo so they wouldn't be able to replace.

No underestimating what failure would do to Leicester. Could end them as a club.

You can’t underestimate how much pressure this will be putting on everyone at the club. 

Lots of possession for Leicester. Didn't create enough from it. Got caught with a nice crisp move. They didn't manage to create much for a lot of the second half. Plymouth were tiring and didn't hold onto it. Leicester had a couple of very good chances, and all of the ball. But couldn't get the goal. 17 mins for Vardy to get a touch, the 'tator said.

Leicester have a lot of decent players, but not clicking for them for a little while now. I'd still like to avoid them if they did finish 3rd, although their confidence would be dented.

10 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

You can’t underestimate how much pressure this will be putting on everyone at the club. 

I used to think this, but really what’s the worst that will happen to the players? They’ll just move somewhere else. Same with the management / coaches. 

It’s the loyal background staff (and fans of course) that will suffer the most and be feeling the most pressure. Who unfortunately for them have little control over what happens on the pitch.

37 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Could do worse than take a look at the Argyle keeper for next season. Swap in Baz for that game and Leicester would have got something from that.

the smothering save from vardy was good and he was confident and commanded his box. seemed to know where his goals were. Baz in goal and they would not have won that.

first ten minutes I thought leicester would win easily but they were quite profligate up front and seemed to run out of ideas 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

There'll be identical comments on here if we lose to Watford tomorrow, so it's perhaps best not to gloat too much.

It’s sport. If you don’t enjoy things that go well because things might not go well later, you never enjoy it at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

It’s sport. If you don’t enjoy things that go well because things might not go well later, you never enjoy it at all..

Its a part of the human condition of a football fan. I got that impression when we were on the unbeaten run on here

43 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

There'll be identical comments on here if we lose to Watford tomorrow, so it's perhaps best not to gloat too much.

Yes but in fairness they are still top of the league.

On 11/04/2024 at 00:35, HKsaint said:

Don’t dream. This weekend, every top three will win and only we drop points as usual. 

NEVER deny or even counsel us against our right to dream please HK my old pal.

Edited by stknowle