• Stu A.
    • Adam A.
    • Fraser
    • Charles
    • Adams
    • Bree
    • Aribo

25 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Has there ever been a game when everybody is 100% convinced that we will lose (excluding those obvious away games at top 6 teams) in an embarrassing manner??

I seem to remember Everton at home under Koeman, when we had a bunch of injuries just before X-mas. Reed started and we ended up winning 3-0.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I seem to remember Everton at home under Koeman, when we had a bunch of injuries just before X-mas. Reed started and we ended up winning 3-0.

Think we had just lost 5 in a row, and then started that game with a midfield 3 of JWP, Davis and Reed that day. Missing both Schneiderlin and Wanyama. I think we did have 5 at the back though from memory, Yoshida, Alderweireld and Fonte, Bertrand and Clyne at wing back. What I'd give for that quality these days...!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think we had just lost 5 in a row, and then started that game with a midfield 3 of JWP, Davis and Reed that day. Missing both Schneiderlin and Wanyama. I think we did have 5 at the back though from memory, Yoshida, Alderweireld and Fonte, Bertrand and Clyne at wing back. What I'd give for that quality these days...!

Yes, we did revert to a back 3 that game

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I remember this one well! Given my job, my twitter circle revolves around gambling on horses and although I tweet about Saints I had never recommended a bet before. I said to anyone who would listen that they could lay us without fear (at around 2/1 I think) due to the team we would be forced to put out. I have largely kept my footballing opinions to myself since then.....

• Haha 2

I think we may have a Middleboro type result where the relegation fodder get a win over one of the top teams. Surely the defence can keep a clean sheet once this season and we could even score a goal ? Ran out of lucky shirts, pants, different routes, turnstiles, routines just hoping now that the ref hates Leeds? 😇

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

I think we may have a Middleboro type result where the relegation fodder get a win over one of the top teams. Surely the defence can keep a clean sheet once this season and we could even score a goal ? Ran out of lucky shirts, pants, different routes, turnstiles, routines just hoping now that the ref hates Leeds? 😇

You're clutching at more straws than a scarecrow knocking one out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Me too and even avoiding cracks in the pavement hasnt worked!!

I am also haunted by some poor results against Leeds.

The 7-0 hammering at Elland Rd in the 1970's another 2-1  reverse away when I was alone amongst the Leeds fans and I was the only voice loudly appealing a very dodgy penalty given for a 'foul' by our 'keeper Gerry Gurr against Billy Bremner.
And one of the earliest games I took my youngest boy along to during the Redknapp era when we were 3-0 up at HT and lost 4-3.

• Like 4

I will be staggered if this is anything other than a Leeds win, they are far stronger in every area than us at the moment.... it would be very saints to beat them after losing to the bottom team though (it's the hope that kills you) 

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

If you told me at the start of last season that in September 2023 I'd be begging for a draw as we plunge towards the lower echelons of the Championship I'd have flicked you right in the earlobe. Right on the meaty bit. But here we are...

Where do you think we’ll be in Sept 2024?

😜

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’ve just checked and you’re right, five in a row. The last one being that trip to Bramall Lane in the Cup. Despite several injuries to key players, including Tadic, Mané was an unused sub.

We don't have a single player you'd want in the trenches with you. Not one who you could rely on to put his head on the line, fight til his last breath and give his absolute all rather than meekly surrender and accept defeat. Every one of them looks as though they are quite happy to leave it to someone else, there is a lack of passion, drive, commitment, will to win and balls. I watch other sides and most of their players are fighting for the shirt, going all out for the win and not accepting defeat. Our lot shrug their shoulders and make a token effort. If WGS was in charge he'd be going red in the face screaming at these numpties to put in some tackles, run themselves ragged and earn their money. RM does nothing from the technical area and then makes excuses for them and himself when we lose. As another poster is fond of reminding us and is spot on...too many sons-in-law.

• Like 7

Diamond Edwards and Joshua Lett in the training photos. Think Abu is there as well. Nice to see a few different youngsters working with the first team.

Edwards was on the brink of breaking in at the start of last season before he did his knee.

(None of this relates to the Leeds game, though, as they won't be in the match squad.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

We don't have a single player you'd want in the trenches with you. Not one who you could rely on to put his head on the line, fight til his last breath and give his absolute all rather than meekly surrender and accept defeat. Every one of them looks as though they are quite happy to leave it to someone else, there is a lack of passion, drive, commitment, will to win and balls. I watch other sides and most of their players are fighting for the shirt, going all out for the win and not accepting defeat. Our lot shrug their shoulders and make a token effort. If WGS was in charge he'd be going red in the face screaming at these numpties to put in some tackles, run themselves ragged and earn their money. RM does nothing from the technical area and then makes excuses for them and himself when we lose. As another poster is fond of reminding us and is spot on...too many sons-in-law.

Unfortunately Russ is a son in law as well

• Like 1

Right Russell, you knobhead, I’ll do your job for you.

Here is the team for Saturday:

Bazunu

KWP Bednarek THB Manning

Charles    Downes

S Armstrong Alcaraz  Edozie

Adams

Stop the fucking poncing about on the ball. 
Hit them fucking hard in the tackle.

Up front, for fucks sake show some movement and take a gamble or 2.

Those northern monkeys won’t know what’s hit them.

• Like 10

If this match conforms to 'maximum Saintsy' principles, then we'll sneak a flukey win, thus granting RM a stay of execution, only to then go on to lose to Stoke and Rotherham in our next two games... #mysticmeg #thesouthamptonway

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, saintant said:

Lol love the "in the trenches" rhetoric.

Who's going first to get shot in the head by a jerry sniper just for taking a peek at no man's land, eh? Fonte would've done it.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Lol love the "in the trenches" rhetoric.

Who's going first to get shot in the head by a jerry sniper just for taking a peek at no man's land, eh? Fonte would've done it.

Christmas day armistice wouldn't happen, Germans would kick the ball to our trench and Bazunu would let it fly right past him.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP Bednarek THB Manning

Charles    Downes

Adams

In reality means it will be more like...

Baz

Kwp Charles Holgate Manning

Downes smallbone

Armstrong aribo Frazer

Adams

Poncing about aplenty, sideways and backward passing and gifting the ball to Leeds at every opportunity. 

Far too much scar tissue.... needed to be brave..... fans didn't help..... proud of the team..... 0-10 Leeds 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, trousers said:

If this match confirms to 'maximum Saintsy' principles, then we'll sneak a flukey win, thus granting RM a stay of execution, only to then go on to lose to Stoke and Rotherham in our next two games... #mysticmeg #thesouthamptonway

i notice you've posted nearly 52,000 times is that a record? its more than the admins even 🤣

• Haha 1

Watched Casemiro's performance tonight for Man Utd and suggest RM gets our midfielders to watch a video of the game to see how it's done. He did everything our midfielders don't and, love or loathe him, he was a pleasure to watch. Nothing spectacular but he was always finding space to receive the ball, moving it on then dropping into another pocket of space. He completely ran the game against Palace, scored and had an assist. I don't expect our players to get anywhere near his levels but surely they can watch someone like him and learn to improve.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP Bednarek THB Manning

Charles    Downes

Adams

If I could give you an extra like for the team talk, I would 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

i notice you've posted nearly 52,000 times is that a record? its more than the admins even 🤣

Rough maths but Trousers has posted 58 times a week since 2006, that is dedication.

I on the other hand have been shit posting a measly 10 a week since 2007, need to up my game.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

This is a game where I'm absolutely convinced we will lose. What normally happens is that we end up winning so I'm going to predict a Saints win where we obviously concede a couple. Let's go with 3-2.

They will have too much pace, power and tactical organisation, the exact opposite of us so its 0-4

On 26/09/2023 at 13:53, spyinthesky said:

Me too and even avoiding cracks in the pavement hasnt worked!!

I am also haunted by some poor results against Leeds.

The 7-0 hammering at Elland Rd in the 1970's another 2-1  reverse away when I was alone amongst the Leeds fans and I was the only voice loudly appealing a very dodgy penalty given for a 'foul' by our 'keeper Gerry Gurr against Billy Bremner.
And one of the earliest games I took my youngest boy along to during the Redknapp era when we were 3-0 up at HT and lost 4-3.

I remember the 3 - 4 game very well! We took along a Leeds supporting friend who was very upset at half time. At Full Time he had a grin from ear to ear and he hasn't stopped smiling since!

21 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Diamond Edwards and Joshua Lett in the training photos. Think Abu is there as well. Nice to see a few different youngsters working with the first team.

Edwards was on the brink of breaking in at the start of last season before he did his knee.

(None of this relates to the Leeds game, though, as they won't be in the match squad.)

My understanding was that Edwards was a genuine talent. Not seen him play - has anyone else?

14 hours ago, saintant said:

Watched Casemiro's performance tonight for Man Utd and suggest RM gets our midfielders to watch a video of the game to see how it's done. He did everything our midfielders don't and, love or loathe him, he was a pleasure to watch. Nothing spectacular but he was always finding space to receive the ball, moving it on then dropping into another pocket of space. He completely ran the game against Palace, scored and had an assist. I don't expect our players to get anywhere near his levels but surely they can watch someone like him and learn to improve.

I think they should aim a bit lower.

I think they should watch some league one or two midfielders for some tips first. No need to run before they can walk  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, WokingSaint said:

I remember the 3 - 4 game very well! We took along a Leeds supporting friend who was very upset at half time. At Full Time he had a grin from ear to ear and he hasn't stopped smiling since!

Not something I want to be reminded about - one of the most painful afternoons at SMS. Crushing defeat.

21 hours ago, saintant said:

I should realise by now when I see your name as the author of a post that what I’m about to experience is a read of unrelenting negativity.

Yet, there’s something beguiling in your oft repeated dismay & the disgust you express so often- and so well I might add - and all because SFC are not playing football the way you want. 

I’ve no doubt you will consider turning your well honed skills of the online public evisceration kind onto me for this post but perhaps you might not be bothered because RM, SR and the currently hapless players are a much bigger and easier target. 

It’s ridiculously easy to criticise SFC atm.  You can bash them all day long and no Saints fan that goes to the matches can really argue that you’re wrong. 

And that’s why some saints fans, namely me, don’t. When it’s easy to bash then the bigger thing is not to bash. When it’s easy to hurt, the better thing is not to hurt. Instead of a stick or an online rant about how cowardly shit and useless they are May I suggest you try to put that admirable eloquence and energy of yours into coalescing us currently grieving fans into a force for good. For positivity. 
Maybe just turn up on Saturday and sing support for 90 minutes to show what those “useless” so and so’s on the pitch and in the boardroom. are meant to be bleeding on the shirt for and what being a Saint is all about. 

Our manager has had all week prior to the Leeds game to think up what he is going to say to the press.

I have a transcript of it here:

Janny B and Little A are working hard, whilst Baz is no longer Cinderella. Che has started shooting practice and I have been to the barbers.

I predict an easy win for Leeds but the lads were brilliant and we will get it right in the end.

• Haha 1

Bazunu

KWP Bednarek THB Manning

Charles    Downes

S Armstrong/Amo  Alcaraz,/S Armstrong  Edozie

Adams

S.Armstrong plays as he is my Captain. If Alcarez is "trusted" and plays, then Alcy as the 10, Stuart on the right. But if no Alcy, play Stuart as the #10 and Amo on the right,

Edozie can take the corners, minimum 4 back even for our own corners.

Edited by the saint in winchester

One thing we know for certain is that every attack we play against will have plenty of chances on the counter-attack where a couple of well placed passes and/or an ounce of individual quality will result in goals. A pretty easy argument to be made that this Leeds frontline is the best in the league so I really can't see anything outside of a disaster. 

Train strikes yet again, so I'll have the luxury of just turning the TV off if it gets a little too Sunderland/Leicester this week.

56 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It’s ridiculously easy to criticise SFC atm.  You can bash them all day long and no Saints fan that goes to the matches can really argue that you’re wrong. 

And that’s why some saints fans, namely me, don’t. When it’s easy to bash then the bigger thing is not to bash. When it’s easy to hurt, the better thing is not to hurt. Instead of a stick or an online rant about how cowardly shit and useless they are May I suggest you try to put that admirable eloquence and energy of yours into coalescing us currently grieving fans into a force for good. For positivity. 
Maybe just turn up on Saturday and sing support for 90 minutes to show what those “useless” so and so’s on the pitch and in the boardroom. are meant to be bleeding on the shirt for and what being a Saint is all about. 

Fuck me, didn't realise Yoda was a fan too!  Force is with you mate.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Rough maths but Trousers has posted 58 times a week since 2006, that is dedication.

I on the other hand have been shit posting a measly 10 a week since 2007, need to up my game.

Don't worry Convict, its quality over quantity        .... Oh !  😉

Edited by Toussaint
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I should realise by now when I see your name as the author of a post that what I’m about to experience is a read of unrelenting negativity.

Yet, there’s something beguiling in your oft repeated dismay & the disgust you express so often- and so well I might add - and all because SFC are not playing football the way you want. 

I’ve no doubt you will consider turning your well honed skills of the online public evisceration kind onto me for this post but perhaps you might not be bothered because RM, SR and the currently hapless players are a much bigger and easier target. 

Fear not Gio, a few of us have taken your advice on board and have ordered our outfits for Saturday

Mens Cheerleader Costume | vtir.netGive Me A...Cheerleader Costume for Men

• Haha 3

Well if you read my posts regularly you would soon find out that I am very even handed. When the team is playing well I speak as I find and will praise the coach and players. Equally, when they are serving up what we've witnessed for the last 4 games I will be critical.  Sitting on the fence is boring. Comment on what is being served up, good or bad. I'd rather it was all good but we've been hopeless on and off for far too long now. Sorry if it offends you - maybe put me on ignore.

• Like 2

Nicely put.  

Good luck with the responses 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-1 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic