QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Do people expect easy steamrolling of teams every game?

This was an game away to a team in good form with some skillful players mixed in with big units. 

To come away with a clean sheet is great - could've scored more but so could QPR. Let's fucking take it and move on.

We've played better and lost, but a bit of that has to be credit given to QPR.

• Like 23

The BBC website says best unbeaten run since 1950 - not sure about that but who cares? Would be nice not to have to spend the last 10 minutes of every game watching through my fingers though! Well played lads and happy Xmas to all Saintswebbers 🙂

• Like 6

Good result, though it sounds like we made heavy weather of it. Amusing reading the completely negative comments on here during the match, I suppose there is no real reason to post anything positive, but by 'eck its hard to believe reading this that we are now on 45 points at the halfway point of the season and 15 games unbeaten, now only 7 points to 2nd. Down side is Charles missing next game, when it seems like Downes might have been off injured, leaving us a bit light in MF for Tuesday, and Bree injured as well?

A great win for my Dad who is still holding on…well done Saints. RM subs were good choices.

Honourable mentions…

Adams and Manning - both make the team look worse. If Adams thinks he’s getting a better contract than the one at Saints he’s a sandwich short of a picnic….terrible player that’s a waste of shirt. Manning tries hard but just doesn’t have a brain.

KWP, Downes and Fraser - outstanding as usual.

I like Charles…he’ll be a great player one day, but he didn’t need to take the 2nd yellow.

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

But what’s the point, he had a golden chance to put the game to bed and Che’d it

ha.

everyone misses chances, some more than others, but when he stops making the necessary runs then it needs calling out. He was on the edge of our own box when we broke quickly and he didn't get catch up, which is understandable, but we broke again and still he failed to get on the box. For me that's him being lazy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Do people expect easy steamrolling of teams every game?

This was an game away to a team in good form with some skillful players mixed in with big units. 

To come away with a clean sheet is great - could've scored more but so could QPR. Let's fucking take it and move on.

We've played better and lost, but a bit of that has to be credit given to QPR.

Agreed, while not perfect it was a good performance overall I thought and a deserved win. We didn't sit back in the second half, created lots of chances, and with a CF who could score we would've won by 2 or 3. QPR were decent and defended well.

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Manning tries hard but just doesn’t have a brain.

there was one crossfield backward ball deep in the second half that was an absolute shocker putting KWP in massive trouble. Thankfully his touch was perfect and it came to nothing, but it typifies Manning. He just makes some terrible decisions with his passing. I honestly don't understand what he is thinking with some passes. Overall though, I thought he did OK.

• Like 3

Phew. Nail-biter at the end but we should have had a penalty and Che Adams should have scored at least twice and/or assisted. 

We played really well there. Shea Charles unlucky, played well. Both Armstrongs did really well. Thought we'd have issues with Bree going off but manning did well too. Ryan Fraser brilliant after coming on - a total pro. Aribo working hard...commentator even used the word pace alongside him! Smallbone notably the exception - really slow, gave the ball away in dangerous situations, perhaps nursing something or not 100%, was right to be subbed.

QPR not looking anything like a relegation zone team - jeez!

Not good news about Ross Stewart...wish him well...hope now though that it makes it imperative we get a proper goal-scoring centre-forward in early.

Well played Saints. Now, let's put some goals past Swansea and make it really count with another win.

• Like 1

That was one for the can we win ugly brigade and needed to be.  I thought QPR were tough, committed, closed us down quickly and really pushed us.  Excellent away win.  Fair play to Charles too - deserved to go but went because he was covering for others mistakes.  I wouldn't be fining him for getting sent off. 

If you want to get promoted then you need performances like this when you can't play your usual game.  Great result.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

ha.

everyone misses chances, some more than others, but when he stops making the necessary runs then it needs calling out. He was on the edge of our own box when we broke quickly and he didn't get catch up, which is understandable, but we broke again and still he failed to get on the box. For me that's him being lazy.

I don't think he's a bad player, he certainly put himself about today. However he is just totally bereft of confidence.

He needs his future sorted. By not signing a contract he is turning the fans against him. Plus nobody will sign him in this form.

With Stewart busted he has an ideal opportunity to grab the CF spot.

13 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Charles' red card moments ensured the win. An excellent red card if they can be had.

SArmstrong earned him his first with a suicide pass. Excellent yellow.  Second was a good yellow too as we were going t to get caught badly (again) with lots of players upfield. 

We still haven't learned how to set ourselves up when taking our own corners. The coaches at this club are fucking useless. Every week the same, nothing done about it. We almost got caught in the second half. Keeper catches a corner throws it out and they are two on one. Only SArmstrong busting a gut prevented them scoring. It's getting boring now. Sort it out.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I don't think he's a bad player, he certainly put himself about today. However he is just totally bereft of confidence.

He needs his future sorted. By not signing a contract he is turning the fans against him. Plus nobody will sign him in this form.

With Stewart busted he has an ideal opportunity to grab the CF spot.

Probably also doesn’t want to risk getting injured and thus isn’t totally committed.

Great decision by Martin to stop banging our head against a brick wall in the middle of the park, with Smallbone giving the ball away a lot, and start attacking them down the flanks.

Giving Fraser the ball at his feet, pointing the right way, takes our incisiveness to another level. He has a directness that we really need. And I love how he's always got his head up - looking around for open players. It's no coincidence that he's recently set up three goals with his crosses, and it could - SHOULD - have been two more today.

• Like 16

Entertaining second half.

We're making good use of the squad and subs. Towards the end there, we were without Smallbone, Charles and Downes on the park. And we had Adams centrally up front, who in other systems would be more of a target. Despite that, we dealt well with everything QPR threw at us. They tried very quick breaks, they tried shots from range and form wider positions and they tried to exploit our full back gaps.

But we did well in all of those, again without the usual level of cover you'd expect when missing our midfielders. Lots of good work from Bednarek, THB and a key header from Stephens at the end.

Aribo and Stu just get better each game, and Fraser is a stamp of quality every time he comes on. We're always likely to take adavantage of teams who are either tiring or are trying to get back into games.

AA worked his socks off again. It's still a surprise to see him go off, although anyones elseyou'd be screaming to be given some rest over such a busy period.

We had our usual dominant possession. We didn't create lots of chances, but as the game went on we did create a few good ones.

Martin's going to be really pleased with that today. It's what he's been looking for, and the clear areas of improvement are the ones he's already been pointing out as being worked on. This is with us rotating the team around a bit too. To have clear areas of improvment after such a long unbeaten run is something to look forward to.

I do feel for Adams a bit. He's a support striker, who's out the starting eleven and has never been that prolific anyway. We play in a system where everyone has to interchange to create the passing angles and create opportunities. For example, today there was a cut back from the left that was crying out for Adams to be on the end of it. Charles was in exactly the right spot for the chance.

Martin has expressed his own frustration about us finishing our chances. A lot of that is simply that the players we have, that's kind of what you're going to get unless you find a way to really play to their strengths (replace them with a real step up in quality - something SR have failed specatcualrly in doing). Adams will miss sitters, but scores first time efforts from further out. He had a really nice finish, ruled out for offside, the other week. He, like any number of strikers, is going to need multiple chances in areas of strength for the goals to flow. Our system isn't going to set that up consistently. I saw him doing a lot of decent off the ball work today. Just getting his head down, stopping QPR getting going, filling in for team mats (which I'm sure Martin sees and appreciates), and making our opponents have to adapt for him being there.

Charles' red card lies firmly at the feet of his own teammates. That decision making needs some work. Our game management is lacking in the number of times we lose possession fairly needlessly. Our solid structure means we react really well to it, but it stops us creating better chances.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Entertaining second half.

We're making good use of the squad and subs. Towards the end there, we were without Smallbone, Charles and Downes on the park. And we had Adams centrally up front, who in other systems would be more of a target. Despite that, we dealt well with everything QPR threw at us. They tried very quick breaks, they tried shots from range and form wider positions and they tried to exploit our full back gaps.

But we did well in all of those, again without the usual level of cover you'd expect when missing our midfielders. Lots of good work from Bednarek, THB and a key header from Stephens at the end.

Aribo and Stu just get better each game, and Fraser is a stamp of quality every time he comes on. We're always likely to take adavantage of teams who are either tiring or are trying to get back into games.

AA worked his socks off again. It's still a surprise to see him go off, although anyones elseyou'd be screaming to be given some rest over such a busy period.

We had our usual dominant possession. We didn't create lots of chances, but as the game went on we did create a few good ones.

Martin's going to be really pleased with that today. It's what he's been looking for, and the clear areas of improvement are the ones he's already been pointing out as being worked on. This is with us rotating the team around a bit too. To have clear areas of improvment after such a long unbeaten run is something to look forward to.

I do feel for Adams a bit. He's a support striker, who's out the starting eleven and has never been that prolific anyway. We play in a system where everyone has to interchange to create the passing angles and create opportunities. For example, today there was a cut back from the left that was crying out for Adams to be on the end of it. Charles was in exactly the right spot for the chance.

Martin has expressed his own frustration about us finishing our chances. A lot of that is simply that the players we have, that's kind of what you're going to get unless you find a way to really play to their strengths (replace them with a real step up in quality - something SR have failed specatcualrly in doing). Adams will miss sitters, but scores first time efforts from further out. He had a really nice finish, ruled out for offside, the other week. He, like any number of strikers, is going to need multiple chances in areas of strength for the goals to flow. Our system isn't going to set that up consistently. I saw him doing a lot of decent off the ball work today. Just getting his head down, stopping QPR getting going, filling in for team mats (which I'm sure Martin sees and appreciates), and making our opponents have to adapt for him being there.

Charles' red card lies firmly at the feet of his own teammates. That decision making needs some work. Our game management is lacking in the number of times we lose possession fairly needlessly. Our solid structure means we react really well to it, but it stops us creating better chances.

Superb post 👏

3 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Well done lads. Well done RM. Didn't (couldn't) watch today but sounds like we ground one out which every successful team needs to. Merry Xmas.

Not sure about ground it out.  A really good game between two in-form teams.  Fraser was outstanding when he came on: and Adams was beyond abysmal.  Could easily have won 2 or 3 - 0 with a decent striker.

15 games unbeaten now - and you can clearly see the confidence is sky high.  Long may it continue!

A good win and we never looked in too much trouble. Lots of positives to take, the main one being we seemed to do everything a bit quicker, with passes through the lines bypassing lots of sideways boredom.

Che Adams showed yet again why we should take anything we can get for him this window. If he is one of our main strikers for the rest of the season, we can definitely forget about the automatic places. I would rather see Tyler Dibling given a chance off the bench.  

• Like 3

QPR were certainly more of a handful than when we beat them in August.

But 3 points and a clean sheet away from home , doesn't get much better but ref .was really duff .

He missed an absolute penalty that Adams' deserved  in the last 5 minutes.

We survived the first 20 minutes attack, and defence performed well throughout.

Match-winning goal from Harwood-Bellis, was the sort of goal than comes from " the occasional scorer " and it DAJFU.

Still painfully short of a good, in-form striker and with Adams likely to be moving in January we really do need a good CF 

....especially with Stewart out for the rest of the season.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

Apart from Adams standing watching outside the box while others were busting a gut, missing a dolly of a chance and playing like a lumbering lumberjack. Several players, S.Armstrong, Smallbone, KWP, THB, and Manning gifted  the ball to the opposition when under no pressure. We've got to stop that. It was a really good result down to hard work and another flick on to the far post by AA and well finished by THB. I thought Bazunu had a very sound game and contributed to another clean sheet. 

• Like 3