Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Obviously shouldn't be sacked and hopefully wont resign. He's a fantastic manager and I'm glad we have him - but that still doesn't excuse a second 9-0 defeat. Keeping possession and maintaining defensive discipline when you are clearly the second best team on the pitch is an art in itself, one he needs to work a bit harder at enforcing with this team.

We are extremely lucky to have this manager and we should hold on to him whatever it takes. If anything having a second 9 nil defeat on his CV may help us keep him! 

Unlike Leicester where we were crap, we suffered yesterday mainly due to injuries and having to use youth players. That's not really Ralph's fault, more a fault of an owner who refuses to put his hand in his pocket.

If anything, Ralph may decide to walk, but let's hope that doesn't happen. Our first XI can beat anybody,  it is strength in depth that we lack and for that we need investment. Ralph can't work miracles forever. 

• Like 3

Last night was a "perfect storm"... a threadbare squad of fit players (2 keepers on the bench!) playing away at Man United (joint league leaders, in excellent form), a young debutant getting sent off inside 2 minutes and a set of match officials intent on giving pretty much every decision against Saints (not even just the marginal decisions).

Which manager would you prefer to have at Saints, a manager who suffered two 9-0 defeats or a manager who took us to the top of the table for the first time in the Premier League era?

• Like 1

Also should be remembered that this season probably two of the greatest club sides in history, with two of the greatest managers probably in history, with their full teams have been on the end of thumpings, and they had no sendings off nor any dodgy decisions against them. 

We are a club with about 1/4 if not less of their budgets, who were missing 9 first team squad members, had two players sent off and some officials hell bent on giving everything against us. 

It's an anomaly result in a season of weird results, we just need to get back on track as soon as possible and get out first team back on the pitch, which we know can compete up there with the very best in the league and we can still have a good season to build on for next year (and hopefully new better owners as well). 

We are still a work very much in progress, this is just a little embarrassing bump in the road. 

• Like 2

We were well beaten last night, but the 9-0 scoreline was just a freak. There's a reason that most of the media coverage is talking about VAR and the refereeing.

We went top of the Premier League for the first time since it was formed. We're 6 points off 5th. We beat the reigning champions. We knocked the holders out of the FA Cup. A few games ago we were still in the title race.

There's knee-jerk, and then there's this.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So how do you think we can afford to pay off another manager and staff when we can’t even loan a full back?

ludicrous our support 

Well that’s clearly not an issue of cost, not that I’m suggesting we should pay Ralph off.

12 hours ago, Ekelund said:

Nippers 10, seen two 9-0 defeats, he made me stay til Leicester got their 7th, TV tonight. 

We're used to getting beat, of course we are but tonight and villa has me close to just binning it off thanks to VAR.  Surely these will be held up as examples as to how its going wrong. 

Personally I'm just grateful I was around for tiss. You know, the old days... 

No doubting this side, when fit, are far ahead of the mid 90s side but it got me thinking. 

Tiss in a shit team?

Or

Ings (while we've got him) in a decent 11 aiming for mid table. 

If we're not going to go for it properly, and I mean properly, I'd take Simon charlton, Alan nielson, Richard dryden etc giving it to tiss all day long. It was electric. 

I'm 38 and perhaps the VAR detachment has got me after the last 2 games but I wish me nipper could see tiss in his pomp. 

We'll get there

I'm a 60 odd year old MP and this is rough, can't imagine how it is for the youngsters.  I remember a couple of heavy defeats when I was a kid, doesn't make for a pleasant time in school the next day.

We need Ralph more than ever now. Hes the best manager we've had in a long long time  Hes had to deal with not only a crippling injury list but also the complete farce of that officiating of last night. We are still only 4 points off of 6th and in the 5th round of the cup :) hopefully when the injury list starts to ease we will be back to being very competitive again. Upwards and onwards, in Ralph we trust :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

Ridiculous to want Ralph gone, if anything we should be praying he wants to stay, even the board aren't at fault for this, I'm pretty sure if the owner gave them cart blanche they'd get all the players Ralph wants and needs.  No, the fault lies squarely at Gao's feet, he is the one who thinks that you can run a premier league football club with zero investment

17 hours ago, simo said:

Genuine question , not saying he's been awful for us but how many top flight managers have two 9 nil defeats on their record !? He's been seriously let down by the higher management at Saints and if I was him I'd walk it's embarrassing. 

We are only 6 points away from 5th place! 🙄

I know we won't finish 5th. But a Saints manager shouldn't resign when that close to 5th place.

2 hours ago, Pancake said:

Ralph is basically the Jack Stephens of management. Pretty decent, some flashes of brilliance but also the tendency to oversee a colossal balls up. 

Which is kinda what Saints are and have always been 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jack Stephens has never shown a flash of brilliance so the simile ends there. 

• Like 1

Not a chance will he resign !     Saying that i think he will go at the end of the season .   No decent manager will put up with the constraints we have implemented ..We have no money and it will only get worse.!    Hoping  some rich fooker will buy us and put some money in.

On 02/02/2021 at 22:15, simo said:

Genuine question , not saying he's been awful for us but how many top flight managers have two 9 nil defeats on their record !? He's been seriously let down by the higher management at Saints and if I was him I'd walk it's embarrassing. 

You’re embarrassing 

1 hour ago, gammon cheeks said:

Not a chance will he resign !     Saying that i think he will go at the end of the season .   No decent manager will put up with the constraints we have implemented ..We have no money and it will only get worse.!    Hoping  some rich fooker will buy us and put some money in.

We’ve brought in Salisu, Diallo, Walcott, KWP and Minamino in a year when everyone is tighter because of Covid. We’ve also stuck with a manager who has lost 9-0 twice and is yet to finish top half. I’m not sure Europe’s giants rate Ralph quite as highly as we do. Poch and Koeman were both consistently better and only went to Everton and Spurs.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve brought in Salisu, Diallo, Walcott, KWP and Minamino in a year when everyone is tighter because of Covid. We’ve also stuck with a manager who has lost 9-0 twice and is yet to finish top half. I’m not sure Europe’s giants rate Ralph quite as highly as we do. Poch and Koeman were both consistently better and only went to Everton and Spurs.

As long time sufferers of Southampton Football Club, I think us fans appreciate the job Ralph is doing because we know what a mess he inherited.  The 9-0s hurt, but nearly any other manager would have us relegated or battling against it, he's lifted us up to solid mid table with further aspirations, incredible job.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

"Games like this can happen from time to time...."  quote from RH press conference!

They don't happen to anybody else matey and never twice in 18 months.

so what do you suggest. Guarantee me performances like this season and one 9-0 defeat and ill take that to the day i die. Been to a S?T holder for too many years to know that we are onto  a good thing here. 

My biggest fear right now is that we will be relegated within 2/3 years of RH leaving.

Where's all this 'I'm embarrassed' shit come from? I was proud to call myself a Saints fan before Tuesday and still am today.

I don't how old the posters are on here but in our previous time in the top flight I can remember shipping 7 goals at both Goodison and Anfield never mind the fateful 3 nil up at half time against Tranmere only to lose 4-3. Sadly shit happens but through all our travails (and there's been plenty) I've never been embarrassed to say I'm a Saints fan.

Edited by Trout-Tickler

29 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

"Games like this can happen from time to time...."  quote from RH press conference!

They don't happen to anybody else matey and never twice in 18 months.

You really have got a bee in your underwear about this haven’t you? Look none of us are happy about it BUT ffs, if Dean hadn’t taken over with his ego trip and totally ballsed up with the second sending off that game ends 6-1, maybe 7 (the Adams goal should of counted)  it doesn’t go to 9. Don’t let the fact we have horrendous injuries, are playing kids cos there is no other choice, and had to play the previous 85 minutes with 10 men get in your way though eh?

That result is absolutely nowhere near as bad or hurtful as the Leicester one, that was a disgrace. Tuesday was not, fuck me even the normally brain dead Paul Merson on Sky said “this ain’t a 9-0, no way”

I’m still more upset about the injustice of the Villa game. Nobody will ever convince me we weren’t cheated there. That’s the game you should be having a fit about, not a result where everything that could possibly go wrong did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trout-Tickler said:

Where's all this 'I'm embarrassed' shit come from? I was proud to call myself a Saints fan before Tuesday and still am today.

I don't how old the posters are on here but in our previous time in the top flight I can remember shipping 7 goals at both Goodison and Anfield never mind the fateful 3 nil up at half time against Tranmere only to lose 4-3. Sadly shit happens but through all our travails (and there's been plenty) I've never been embarrassed to say I'm a Saints fan.

I was at tranmere that night and at Goodison park but being at Leicester home last year and and again a 9 zip at old Trafford on tv gotta say the stick I took for foxes game Isn’t as bad as old Trafford maulin! Two 9 Nils in two seasons with same manager not changing tac to suit situations ie go 3 at the back with wing backs or 5 across the middle ..I love Ralph and seen some of the best football saints have played under him .. but Letting experienced full backs go out on loan and bringing in  a cb with personal issues and long term injury we know nothing about can not be ignored..embarrassed is a strong word and would never associate with my love for Southampton ..more disbelief of current issues is more par.

A win a st James park tomorrow with some key missing players back we be a start to long road of putting this to bed ..pundits will be dining out on two 9 nils for years to come unfortunately 

3 hours ago, Trout-Tickler said:

I'm with you my adipose friend. Are you S.B. by any chance? Hartley?

8 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

I was at tranmere that night and at Goodison park but being at Leicester home last year and and again a 9 zip at old Trafford on tv gotta say the stick I took for foxes game Isn’t as bad as old Trafford maulin! Two 9 Nils in two seasons with same manager not changing tac to suit situations ie go 3 at the back with wing backs or 5 across the middle ..I love Ralph and seen some of the best football saints have played under him .. but Letting experienced full backs go out on loan and bringing in  a cb with personal issues and long term injury we know nothing about can not be ignored..embarrassed is a strong word and would never associate with my love for Southampton ..more disbelief of current issues is more par.

A win a st James park tomorrow with some key missing players back we be a start to long road of putting this to bed ..pundits will be dining out on two 9 nils for years to come unfortunately 

If you’re going to make comments at least do some research. 

We played 5 at the back v Leicester and that also didn’t work.

• Haha 1

On 02/02/2021 at 23:32, Morse said:

There is a lot Ralph cant control, like a player getting sent off after 2 minutes, and Mike Dean being an utter tool. But a team should know what to do in a bad situation to stop it getting out of hand. Most teams do, it's why 9-0's are so rare. Once is embarrassing twice is negligent. 

Agree...

No he shouldn't resign, and overall he has been great for us.

However I think he has a few blind spots - maybe because he is strong in his own belief/stubborn etc. He never seems to want to revert to a plan B (I believe he does have plans B and C but seldom seems to utilise them for whatever reason). After all he did change the kamikaze high defending tactics of the first two games. But you do have to question why after 4 or 5 down at OT he didn't just ask the payers to park the bus? There was no way we were going to get anything out of the game at that stage, and for anyone that thinks it was the players choice, you could clearly hear Ralph encouraging the team to push up in the commentary.

Ah well if he was perfect he wouldn't be our manager - same as the players. 

This is definitely a case of be careful what you wish for. Although I do agree with those that cite negligence when something like this happens twice, it really is unacceptable. Charlie Austin loves to pipe up at times like these and although he’s a bitter bloke, he makes some valid points - we should have defended that game in a way where we never see such a  scoreline again.

However, this was different to Leicester - Refs and VAR made this game the record scoreline. Injuries and early red card made the prefect storm. Sounds an easy bias/excuse, but it’s 6-0 with 5 to play (we had also scored a fair goal). We are not seeing 9-0 without the Bednarek decisions. We cannot remove all blame though, we were absolutely shocking.

Ultimately, are we likely to find another manager that can deliver the following:

1. 5th highest points PL total in a calendar year (2020).

2. Style of football we actually get behind and enjoy watching.

3. Strong relationship with the fans, Ralph’s emotionally there with us. See Sheffield United and Liverpool at home.

4. Manager with potential. I think we have seen Ralph improve and he has the potential to improve much further. He’s linked with big clubs for a reason.

With all that in mind, we would be asking him to resign on the basis of just 2 games of football, when the entire time inbetween he’s been working miracles. I’m fully behind Ralph and hope this summer someone finally invests in us to move that glass ceiling a little higher.

To sack Ralph for making this unwanted history would be short sighted and only impact us negatively going forward. Injuries are on their way back and we should see the Saints that have entertained and performed beyond our expectations since Project Restart return.

• Like 1

Last thing I want to do is patronise but I've already said several times I have followed SFC from New Zealand for at least 30 years, Never been to a game and only started listening to some games live online towards the end of last season (time differences, working, family etc). I've always liked this club because you are honest battlers (team and supporters).  Most people over here follow the big 6 because they get all the publicity and it's easy and safe. It's also really cliched and boring. Following Saints is like supporting the NZ test cricket team (I love test cricket). Some eras have been absolute shite, when  hammerings by Australia and the West Indies within 3 or 4 days was quite common, often accompanied by opposition batsmen getting their best test cricket scores and record partnerships. But, just occasionally, the team would unexpectedly pull off a spectucular win against all the odds or go thriough a relative purple patch when they were actually quite decent. When it happened, it was fucking euphoric.

That's also how I feel about your club. It's the inconsistency associated with this Club over the years that personally fascinates me; looking really good for a while and promisng big things, followed by a relative slump (like boom and bust in the economy). Incidentally, I have never really understood why the Club sold it's really good players just when it was getting a bit of momentum, but what would I know?.

Sure, you got done last game but so fucking what? That ref was a white-collar criminal, you had a massive player injury problem, VAR was a farce and an unfortunate young debutante let the occasion get the better of his judgement. Not sure the Manager could have done much to change any of that. He's also been the Manager of a team who has beaten last year's winner of the PL and FA Cup in the same season while facing some very difficult squad issues. Also, Man U are a very decent side anyway.

I heard Nigel ? (former manager) say you put a blue line under that last result and you move on. I couldn't agree more. 

Edited by Jeremy
  • Like 4

Ralph in no way should resign although that could be out of our hands in the summer if he feels he's still no backing . However questions do need to be asked not only about the 2 freak results but the record amount of points dropped in games, we as fans know about our soft underbelly but this desperately needs to be addressed either with correct personnel or tactics for game management,  it is a huge flaw to think we can grind out results whilst playing this way,  this season we will get away with it due to all the weird circumstances but next season it could prove to be a big issue 

• Like 1

Just now, danjosaint said:

Ralph in no way should resign although that could be out of our hands in the summer if he feels he's still no backing . However questions do need to be asked not only about the 2 freak results but the record amount of points dropped in games, we as fans know about our soft underbelly but this desperately needs to be addressed either with correct personnel or tactics for game management,  it is a huge flaw to think we can grind out results whilst playing this way,  this season we will get away with it due to all the weird circumstances but next season it could prove to be a big issue 

we did address it. We bought Salisu........

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

It's a tricky one, because the anti-Ralph is Mourinho - and who wants that? The Special One does know how to shut down a game when his side takes a lead though, something that Ralph appears not to be able to do; no team can sustain an aggressive pressing game for 90 minutes, yet Ralph seems to insist that Saints must. In the same vein, playing tippy-tappy out-from-the-back football when 2-1 down in the 94th minute is just obtuse.

• Like 1

Actually...as it stands at this moment.

yes. He isn’t all that. 
ponderous football....everything we do is telegraphed. 
no change in tempo. 
no plan B.

shameful display today  

any positives just seem to paper over the glaring cracks.  
I so hope we turn this around with him at the helm...but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by saint lard

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl