Other Games 21/22

whelk

29 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Leeds aren't getting anything other than battered tonight.

On the plus side of that though, it looks like we are going to see a a proper title fight this season after all. Six straight wins for Liverpool and Citeh's 12-point lead is now down to just 3.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I get the feeling that the Everton/Newcastle/Leeds all going down thing isn't actually going to happen, lads.

Seems unlikely. Can’t see them all staying up either though.

Burnley remind me of Saints in the 90’s and none of those three have teams or crowds ready for a relegation battle.

On top of that Everton in particular have horrendous form and a scary looking run-in.

Great result for Burnley. Reckon they have a good chance of staying up.

Watford and Norwich to go down, with one of Everton, Leeds and Sandcastle to go with them.

Leeds have been crap recently, but Everton have a horrendous run-in with very few 'winnable' games left.

Will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Burnley remind me of Saints in the 90’s and none of those three have teams or crowds ready for a relegation battle.

On top of that Everton in particular have horrendous form and a scary looking run-in.

Agree - Burnley are built for this stuff. And they've been grinding out points before tonight. If they stay up, which they can, someone's got to go down. (hopefully not Brentford).

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Newcastle going down at the expense of Burnley would be plenty for me. 

Oohhh yes please, I'll have some of that.  In fact I think I'd happily donate the 3 points from our upcoming game with Burnley to help the cause....

It probably won't happen, but I can dream. 

4 minutes ago, Micky said:

Oohhh yes please, I'll have some of that.  In fact I think I'd happily donate the 3 points from our upcoming game with Burnley to help the cause....

It probably won't happen, but I can dream. 

No way!!!

I’d not donate 3 points for anyone in this league.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Burnley win there game in hand and Newcastle are below them.

Two games in hand on Leeds too. They are right in it. Although It’s be amazing for Burnley to send Newcastle down last day, even better with the Chris wood sub plot to make it even sweeter for them 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Watford and Norwich to go down, with one of Everton, Leeds and Sandcastle to go with them.

Leeds have been crap recently, but Everton have a horrendous run-in with very few 'winnable' games left.

And more enjoyable, as we're so far removed from it. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Two games in hand on Leeds too. They are right in it. Although It’s be amazing for Burnley to send Newcastle down last day, even better with the Chris wood sub plot to make it even sweeter for them 

Looks like they have a better striker now as well. That’s my informed opinion having seen a total of  5 minutes of highlights of the Brighton game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Conte has well and truly spat his dummy out. 

Lots of speculation over his future in the coming days. Its like he likes making the papers. 

They don't seem to have recovered since we beat them. I think we truly knocked the stuffing out of them. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. It would be great to finish above them. I've just read the interview with him - he's basically offering to walk away as he doesn't think he can help them is how I read it. Hardly an inspiring speech. I wonder who will be their next "first choice" coach. Please not Ralp..........no, don't even go there. 

11 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

Burnley have a good defence letting in only 29 goals so far this season

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

They don't seem to have recovered since we beat them. I think we truly knocked the stuffing out of them. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. It would be great to finish above them. I've just read the interview with him - he's basically offering to walk away as he doesn't think he can help them is how I read it. Hardly an inspiring speech. I wonder who will be their next "first choice" coach. Please not Ralp..........no, don't even go there. 

They were excellent against City at the weekend especially Harry Kane

Just now, John B said:

Burnley have a good defence letting in only 29 goals so far this season

I was impressed with Burnley at St Mary's earlier this season , gave us a proper game,  end to end stuff at times and a fair 2-2, I always think goal difference is a good indication of how they're doing, much better than other sides in the relegation battle. 

Brentford fans are starting to worry and I think they are in trouble, massive game on Saturday they need to avoid defeat to Newcastle. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

I was impressed with Burnley at St Mary's earlier this season , gave us a proper game,  end to end stuff at times and a fair 2-2, I always think goal difference is a good indication of how they're doing, much better than other sides in the relegation battle. 

Brentford fans are starting to worry and I think they are in trouble, massive game on Saturday they need to avoid defeat to Newcastle. 

Yeah they are a better team than their position suggests with a good manager. It's suddenly got a lot more interesting down there. Norwich and Watford look in a lot of trouble but 5 others teams in the battle for mix for the other spot. Unfortunately it wont be Newcastle and Everton will have enough to pull clear. Brentford are in trouble, been in a bad run since December 4 points ahead of Burnley who have 3 games in hand on them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Another goal for Tadic in the Champions League. Really under valued when he was here 

He wasn't really, but he was also really bad for the last 18 months or so with us, but the managers we had were complete crap so that didn't help either, but can't just blame that, he just didn't play very well. He needed a fresh start and has found his form because of that and has done it in a new position as well, playing as striker quite often with Ajax, especially in his first season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

He wasn't really, but he was also really bad for the last 18 months or so with us, but the managers we had were complete crap so that didn't help either, but can't just blame that, he just didn't play very well. He needed a fresh start and has found his form because of that and has done it in a new position as well, playing as striker quite often with Ajax, especially in his first season. 

I'm not sure why his final season for us is so often written off.

Plenty of occasions in that year where he became our de facto leader. Virtually ever-present (only Bertrand made more league appearances), and chipped in with 6 vital goals at a time when we were incredibly goal-shy (Austin was top scorer with 7).

He gave everything that year; was far more gritty and combative than he's given credit for. Particularly in the second half of the season.

Edited by ant
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

My feeling it will be Brentford, they are on a terrible run (Most recent first - L D L L L L L L - last win Villa 2/1/22). Next 3 fixtures,  all "6 pointers"  Newcastle H, Norwich A, Burnley H.

if not them then Leeds, I hope not, I just don't see Everton or Newcastle getting relegated.

The trouble with football fans predicting the teams to be relegated is that we all suffer from historical bias. "Everton never get relegated" so they can't this year. "Norwich are the definition of a yo yo team" so they will go down this season.

This year could be different. I have more confidence in a team managed by Sean Dyche or Dean Smith escaping a dog fight relegation  battle than a team managed by Lampard or Bielsa. Lampard has never been in a relegation battle. Bielsa seems wedded to an out of date football style that is not suited to a dog fight.

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

My feeling it will be Brentford, they are on a terrible run (Most recent first - L D L L L L L L - last win Villa 2/1/22). Next 3 fixtures,  all "6 pointers"  Newcastle H, Norwich A, Burnley H.

if not them then Leeds, I hope not, I just don't see Everton or Newcastle getting relegated.

It would be a real shame if all the promoted teams went down but it's starting to look that way.

When was the last time that happened?

23 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It would be a real shame if all the promoted teams went down but it's starting to look that way.

When was the last time that happened?

From Wiki - In all but three of the 29 seasons since its introduction, at least one newly promoted club filled one of the three Premier League relegation places, and in the 1997–98 season all three promoted clubs (Bolton Wanderers, Barnsley and Crystal Palace) were relegated.

The only team  feel sorry for is Brentford, Watford are Toxic and both Watford an Norwich knew what was required having only being relegated for one season. I have a soft spot for Norwich, I'd prefer one of the big spenders to get caught out, but I can't see it. Having said all that , there are still between 39 and 45 points up for grabs in the bottom 3, so anything could happen! Anyone from 14th down could get sucked in with a bad run.

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

The trouble with football fans predicting the teams to be relegated is that we all suffer from historical bias. "Everton never get relegated" so they can't this year. "Norwich are the definition of a yo yo team" so they will go down this season.

This year could be different. I have more confidence in a team managed by Sean Dyche or Dean Smith escaping a dog fight relegation  battle than a team managed by Lampard or Bielsa. Lampard has never been in a relegation battle. Bielsa seems wedded to an out of date football style that is not suited to a dog fight.

Burnley shouldn't be considered as favourites to go down imo. Anyone who still thinks they are has not been paying attention. Everton, leeds, and brentford are all in free fall. Will come down to whether Watford/norwich have enough to get out of it. Newcastle is anyone's guess. Should stay up given the backing they've had and the fact that they can score goals and are now on form... but tripper is out and they've had winnable games recently.

Edited by Saint86