Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Who's the Dutch player that took his place? Can we sign him instead? 

That price sounds in our ball park. Wasn't a £10m bid already mentioned?

Looking at it to be honest the season seems split in starting appearances between them both, the dude who took over since Feb is geertruida

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Who's the most #Saintsy of our striker links?

Delap / Kalajdzic / Adamu ?

You'd have to say Delap from going by our recent years efforts. Young up and coming player from a Top english clubs academy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

You'd have to say Delap from going by our recent years efforts. Young up and coming player from a Top english clubs academy.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Delap screams of Broja just without the Eredivisie year.

I can't see us spending £20m+ on a 6'7 striker with our current system, for sure.

We also have our besties at Man City on Speed-dial.

I'd assume it would be a loan.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Delap screams of Broja just without the Eredivisie year.

I can't see us spending £20m+ on a 6'7 striker with our current system, for sure.

I'd imagine it would be a loan for delap, but more chance of an option to buy on this one I reckon. Then if he does well we can use some of next years budget to sort that.

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Adamu and Kalajdzic would be the best complement of strikers to sign (quick/tall) but I do think one of the strikers we bring in will be Delap, either on loan or loan to buy. It fits our transfer model, he’s a fairly local lad and City don’t need him. I’d also like a quick forward so... Adamu, Although Kalajdzic has the most experience and goal scoring record of the 3.

26 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

https://www.getfootballnewsgermany.com/2022/hoffenheim-interested-in-rb-salzburgs-junior-adamu/

Given recent form you would have to say Delap is the most Saintsy, but also probably would have a few options.

Loan makes most sense from City perspective surely.

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

https://www.getfootballnewsgermany.com/2022/hoffenheim-interested-in-rb-salzburgs-junior-adamu/

Given recent form you would have to say Delap is the most Saintsy, but also probably would have a few options.

Loan makes most sense from City perspective surely.

Agreed.  The advantage we have, is we have Shields coming in.  But, the biggest bonus for any Delap move is we have a legit pathway to play. 

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Agreed.  The advantage we have, is we have Shields coming in.  But, the biggest bonus for any Delap move is we have a legit pathway to play. 

And his dad may well be a big bonus!!

9 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

there were some decent second half performances from the under 19s tonight. Loved Delap's little cameo, great speed and strength to hold off the defender and then to get the shot in that the keeper couldn't hold. He does look like he would fit our style. 

I really like Harvey Vale, he's class. Still the same situation with that one, 1 year left on his Chelsea deal and we've been sniffing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I really like Harvey Vale, he's class. Still the same situation with that one, 1 year left on his Chelsea deal and we've been sniffing.

The absolute obvious Chelsea player to be looking at, when you look at their contract situations.

Never really know what Chelsea will try & do. Signing a new deal must be so tempting (most of them do it).  Or does he go for the brave option?  Back himself and look for a move away.

We haven’t had too many really obvious #10 links.

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

The absolute obvious Chelsea player to be looking at, when you look at their contract situations.

Never really know what Chelsea will try & do. Signing a new deal must be so tempting (most of them do it).  Or does he go for the brave option?  Back himself and look for a move away.

We haven’t had too many really obvious #10 links.

It's tough to see a clear pathway within the next 2 years for him. Chelsea have got to figure out what to do with Gallagher, Gilmour too. Then they've still got Jorginho, Kovovic, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Mount etc all technically in front of him and all still on decent contracts. 

Tino was in a similar boat, he had Reece James, Alonso, Cesar, Chilwell etc in front of him for a full back slot at the time.

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

And his dad may well be a big bonus!!

Yep you can imagine the conversation now….. hey dad, what were saints like when you played for them? Well son they were fucking dog shit but it was the long throw routine they had that saved them (or not).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd imagine it would be a loan for delap, but more chance of an option to buy on this one I reckon. Then if he does well we can use some of next years budget to sort that.

I really think we can get him on a perm.. he’s in the same position as Lavia and bazunu were really probably even less chance of him breaking through with haaland at city plus often they don’t really play a big cr anyway..

I actually hope we don’t go down the loans option again personally if we are devoloping these youngsters we want to be making profit from it too that should be the whole point in going for youngsters.

broja was great and did help us last year but it’s frustrating that we were just putting him out of our price range by playing him

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Who’s his Dad?

I think I read somewhere it is someone who used to play for us. Danny Higginbotham maybe.

Edit: sorry checked Wikipedia.  It's Tahar El Khalej.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 12

The only one I might actually stretch to using a loan is cole palmer as I don’t think city would actually sell him.. seems the most highly rated of the whole bunch.. mcatee could maybe still be available so wouldn’t surprise me if we even get him.

im actually starting to find this approach quite exciting now stock piling a load of the greatest youth players we are bound to get some diamonds 

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Most saintsy? Delap on loan. More likely is Sasa Kalajdzic I reckon. If we have the money then you don’t ignore a striker with his record, yeah, he’s a big lad and a threat on set pieces but also has a strikers instinct. Last season he was slightly above one in three games after injury curtailed him but season before that he was nearly one in two in the bundesliga. As I said, if it’s feasible then you simply can’t turn that down.

• Like 1

Talking about these academy midfielders reminded me of Josh McEachran. I'm pretty sure he was tipped as the best Chelsea academy player of his generation and the closest English football had come to producing its own Xavi. Now at MK Dons after a few seasons of doing very little in the Championship.

17 hours ago, Chewy said:

When KWP plays left back he does it well, but it leaves us without a left foot as all our no 10s are right footed too.

we end up with no option to go outside or overlap so lose a cutting edge and we create little enough as it is.

Its not a slight on KWPs skill, attitude or endeavour, but he shouldn’t be our left back.

Exactly, if we had a left footed number 10/left winger then by all means have KWP cutting inside from LWB all game long, but otherwise you are completely nullifying that left third of our attack. 

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think I read somewhere it is someone who used to play for us. Danny Higginbotham maybe.

Edit: sorry checked Wikipedia.  It's Tahar El Khalej.

Still love that tackle the whining that came out from Geordies and Dyer it cost us the World Cup you know!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm sure someone (cough cough MLG cough) will correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression Delap only has a year left on his contract. Therefore a loan with an option to buy is a no-goer because he would be out if contract at the end of the loan period anyway.

The only way City get a fee for him is if they sell him this summer.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

27 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

I'm not sure. I don't think Delap was a crowd favourite when he played for us. Seem to recall him being booed at home games. 

Because he was largely awful. A standout memory is him trying to juggle the ball in an away game at Wolves and instead kicking it into touch. His brilliant goal against Spurs was a black swan.

37 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The only way City get a fee for him is if they sell him this summer.

There will still be a “Development” fee if he leaves at the end of his contract next Summer, but probably less than they would get for him now. 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Still love that tackle the whining that came out from Geordies and Dyer it cost us the World Cup you know!

That tackle meant Matt le Tiss didn't get subbed on for a farewell appearance.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 23:09, mcbendy said:

I expect some pretty big changes.

• New goalkeeper, for sure
  • Bye bye Shane Long
  • Centreback changes?
  • Will Broja sign?

I also wonder if (hope that?) we might do quite a bit of our business early

Goalie - check, x2

Bye Shane - check

New CB - check (might we still get another?)

Broja - suspect not, now

Returning to my crystal ball, I'm expecting:

New number 6 (Lavia is close to being confirmed I think)

Versatile full back (possibly a loan) as cover

At least one new 'number 10'

Some or all of Theo, Djenepo, Redmond and Moi to leave. Only Stuey is nailed on to stay.

Two new strikers

I think we'll be signing between 5 and 7 more, including Lavia.

16 minutes ago, northam soul said:

If you take inflation into account bearing in mind it was 20 years ago Rory Delap is still our record signing.

Sounds a bit better than 19 million for Carrillo anyway.

Does he have the record for being record signing the longest? From about 2002(?) when we signed him to J-Rod signing in 2012?

24 minutes ago, northam soul said:

If you take inflation into account bearing in mind it was 20 years ago Rory Delap is still our record signing.

Huh? Was inflation from Delap to Carrillo 450%? I don't think so....

1 hour ago, mcbendy said:

Goalie - check, x2

Bye Shane - check

New CB - check (might we still get another?)

Broja - suspect not, now

Returning to my crystal ball, I'm expecting:

New number 6 (Lavia is close to being confirmed I think)

Versatile full back (possibly a loan) as cover

At least one new 'number 10'

Some or all of Theo, Djenepo, Redmond and Moi to leave. Only Stuey is nailed on to stay.

Two new strikers

I think we'll be signing between 5 and 7 more, including Lavia.

Please Redmond go now. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Talking about these academy midfielders reminded me of Josh McEachran. I'm pretty sure he was tipped as the best Chelsea academy player of his generation and the closest English football had come to producing its own Xavi. Now at MK Dons after a few seasons of doing very little in the Championship.

how very true.............................be careful of  how you go about your game..................

24 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

You know what I mean ffs.

Us spending 4 million back then was a bigger deal than us spending 19/20 million in 2022.

I am pretty sure if I invested 4 million back then it would be worth more than 20 million now. 

13 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:
38 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Interesting discussion. Going 'all MLG' for a moment, the Bank of England inflation calculator shows that 'Goods & services costing £4M in 2001 would cost £5.758M in 2018'. The average rate of inflation over that period was 2.5% but football transfer fees don't follow the normal rules of inflation because of the TV money that was pumped in. According to https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-average-premier-league-16552046, the average Premier League transfer fee in 2001/02 was £4,609,341 compared to £16,068,469 in 2018/19. If you apply that ratio to £4M, you get £13.94M, which would make Carillo 'more expensive' than Delap. Lots of holes in that argument, since it is only applying averages, but quite interesting, nonetheless!

• Like 2