WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

17 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

How immense was THB again 😊

More than anything this, and at least having a chance of keeping KWP and Downes, is why I want us to get promoted. We have the makings of a very good Prem team with a few smart signings (and not "potential" like with Charles).

• Like 3

Organisationally for me tonight was a right shambles: forgotten about where I went for a bite to eat so by the time I got there my teammates had moved on from the pub and it didn't have Sky like I thought it did, so cycled back to another pub where they were showing Inter.. WTF? My request for the West Brom match saw an attempt to put it on, but somebody hadn't paid the Sky subs so it was impossible. Then saw another teammate in the pub and she had Now on her phone so I watched the second half on that!

I've just had a look at the comments following the team sheet news and they were quite amusing. From what I saw of the second half though we were pretty much in control. Think I'm changing my opinion on Aribo; he really suited the situation, and there seemed to be more spine to the team and certainly better passing. Bazunu made that great save but some of his long range distrubution was lovely to watch.

All in all I'm looking forward to Tuesday night much more now..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Soton7 said:

Great result considering West Brom are one of our rivals. It makes it even sweeter getting one over these considering how they and Portsmouth teamed up to send us down all those years ago.

Err, no, that's a Portsmyth. For starters WBA won to save themselves (at Norwich's expense). Secondly, even if the Skates had won 20-0 we still would've gone down

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

More than anything this, and at least having a chance of keeping KWP and Downes, is why I want us to get promoted. We have the makings of a very good Prem team with a few smart signings (and not "potential" like with Charles).

I want to see how Downes, THB and maybe even Brooks and KWP fare together in the prem. Robbing us of the chance of seeing that is why promotion this year is so vital. 

• Like 3

Well that was some crazy round trip in the car, chaos on the way up. At one point when the M5 was at a standstill I didn't think I'd make the game.

Thought we were superb, as were our fans. The first 30 minutes was like Swansea away in terms of performance, and against a much better team.

The second goal and then the save from Bazunu were such great moments. 

A West Brom fan I know messaged me after the game and said he hopes we get promoted because Saints and Leicester are by far the best teams they have played this season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Bit of a dilemma for Martin now. Who does he play as his front 3 on Tuesday? Adam Armstrong needs a game out of the side for me. That's 4 games in a row where he has looked well off it. Edozie and Brooks have both looked decent recently and Fraser had a great game tonight. 

Yes 100% agree, had a great season but been ineffective over the last few games and we have a lot of competition for places which is really driving us forward.

Russ just needs to pick the form players and rotate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Russ just needs to pick the form players

Not necessarily a foolproof strategy... For instance, Stu has been out of form in recent games yet put in a MotM performance yesterday... 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, trousers said:

Not necessarily a foolproof strategy... For instance, Stu has been out of form in recent games yet put in a MotM performance yesterday... 

Indeed, and AA can't play himself back into form if he's sat on the bench either.

But I agree it's a dilemma. His finishing has been woeful for the last few games. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed.  RM's faith in the Armstrong brother Stu is well justified.    He might be prone to a knock or bump, and may cough up the ball now and again - but more often than not he runs, drives, assists and last night busts a gut to track back which both inspires others and lifts the team to a winning performance.    Takes a decent corner and free kick too!

The other reflection I have about last night after watching the replay.....when you're thinking about the players who have done well, helped the team, played a blinder; I found myself forgetting about KWP.     It is so mainstream for him to deliver a sublime, classy, smooth-as-silk performance you almost rate it as routine!

• Like 4

The stats about our away form v top half teams was creeping in from broadcasters who were trying to find something to discuss about our vulnerabilities. Part of their job I guess. For various reasons (mainly for the 3 points and our confidence) I'm glad we showed how we can dominate away against a strong team. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I love that second goal, it was brilliant and came at a good time in the game.

Big shout as well to Aribo and Edozie for the part they played in that.

Aribo has come back from a month away at the AFCON and seems to have engaged a beast mode that I didn't know he had in his locker. It's almost like a new signing.

I was worried that Edozie might take a while to rebuild the momentum and form he had built up before his injury, but he's totally hit the ground running and his end product is as good as it was in December. Great to see.

• Like 13

Our strength in depth has to be up there with the best in the league. That could ultimately get us over the line. That win last night was massive. All this shite about not beating many top 6 teams away from home, despite not playing many/any of them away yet, can also stop. 

• Like 4

Very impressive, especially the start which totally killed the atmosphere. Was worried our lack of a second in the dominant 30 mins would cost us but otherwise it was perfect. 
In my youth that was never a handball in a million years, but with today’s mental rules it probably was. On the other hand, the shove on Mara denied a goal scoring opportunity imho. Can’t stress over ifs and buts.

Apart from the 10 mins before half time I thought it was pretty stress free, the second (a thing of beauty) killed the game and where we’re so impressive is in retaining possession to kill a game - they had plenty of time to come back but barely got the ball and created one chance … excellently saved by Bazunu.

Great performances everywhere; 3 of the back 4 were outstanding, and Jack was solid although his positioning was off a handful of times (fair enough, he’s not a full back). A better balanced defence overall despite this.

Smallbone very good, Charles improved from Tuesday but still level below the rest. He’s a kid and his mental resilience in coming straight back after a mare and playing better at a tough away ground is outstanding. Fed up of the haters - his price tag isn’t his fault and he’s going to be exceptional.

Stu rightly motm. Brilliant display.

Fraser very good but tired quickly I thought. Almost prefer him off the bench but he’s a proper goal threat. ArmA was ok, average for him. I was actually impressed with Mara - better than Che’s recent performances and made some good runs which Che never seems capable of. He has more physical presence than an ArmA too, and given West Brom’s ‘old fashioned’ centre backs it was tough for him - I’ve been very critical, largely of his attitude, but I thought this was a good cf display.

Subs all played well - Edozie must be a nightmare to defend against, Aribo was really impressive and added some great control. Rothwell fine but didn’t see much. If I’m honest it’s a concern for me how little he shows. Aside from his (admittedly amazing) brace v Huddersfield I’ve not been overly impressed and he’s behind Downes, Stu, Aribo and Smallbone for me in the midfield options.

Brooks was class and his goal was excellent. And I loved Kamaldeens cameo. Kept dribbling past players and then remembered we’re trying to keep the ball so had to dribble backwards to find a team mate. I thought it was hilarious. The dribbling was impressive, though, and he looks like he’s chomping at the bit which is great. 

Loads to like last night - makes it all the more bizarre how we were so poor on Tuesday. When we tick we totally dominate a game and suck the life out of the opponents and crowd. To be honest patches of the game were boring. Which is perfect when you’re 1 up away at a potentially hostile ground. Shut them right up.

So many good options from the bench as well. And all without our linchpin for the whole game plan, Downes. Think we’ll also be better for having a full back at full back, and seeing as we’ve proved we’re more solid without Manning, I look forward to Bree’s return!

If he, Downes, THB and KWP stay fit, I don’t see us shipping many more goals again. Rest of the season looks really promising and fresh off the back of such a poor display on Tuesday that’s a real sign of our quality but mostly our character. 
Very impressive turn around from the coaching team and players - well done

• Like 10

Could only get a ticket in the home end.The saints fans sounded good all game.Very hard to stay calm when we scored and had to put up with WBA fans going on how they will beat us in the playoffs 😅.They certainly had it in for the ref and linesmans.Good performance first twenty mins and then they seem to get on top for the rest of first half and beginning of the second half. Was getting a bit nervous,but think the subs made a difference.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Very impressive, especially the start which totally killed the atmosphere. Was worried our lack of a second in the dominant 30 mins would cost us but otherwise it was perfect. 
In my youth that was never a handball in a million years, but with today’s mental rules it probably was. On the other hand, the shove on Mara denied a goal scoring opportunity imho. Can’t stress over ifs and buts.

Apart from the 10 mins before half time I thought it was pretty stress free, the second (a thing of beauty) killed the game and where we’re so impressive is in retaining possession to kill a game - they had plenty of time to come back but barely got the ball and created one chance … excellently saved by Bazunu.

Great performances everywhere; 3 of the back 4 were outstanding, and Jack was solid although his positioning was off a handful of times (fair enough, he’s not a full back). A better balanced defence overall despite this.

Smallbone very good, Charles improved from Tuesday but still level below the rest. He’s a kid and his mental resilience in coming straight back after a mare and playing better at a tough away ground is outstanding. Fed up of the haters - his price tag isn’t his fault and he’s going to be exceptional.

Fraser very good but tired quickly I thought. Almost prefer him off the bench but he’s a proper goal threat. ArmA was ok, average for him. I was actually impressed with Mara - better than Che’s recent performances and made some good runs which Che never seems capable of. He has more physical presence than an ArmA too, and given West Brom’s ‘old fashioned’ centre backs it was tough for him - I’ve been very critical, largely of his attitude, but I thought this was a good cf display.

Subs all played well - Edozie must be a nightmare to defend against, Aribo was really impressive and added some great control. Rothwell fine but didn’t see much. If I’m honest it’s a concern for me how little he shows. Aside from his (admittedly amazing) brace v Huddersfield I’ve not been overly impressed and he’s behind Downes, Stu, Aribo and Smallbone for me in the midfield options.

Brooks was class and his goal was excellent. And I loved Kamaldeens cameo. Kept dribbling past players and then remembered we’re trying to keep the ball so had to dribble backwards to find a team mate. I thought it was hilarious. The dribbling was impressive, though, and he looks like he’s chomping at the bit which is great. 

Loads to like last night - makes it all the more bizarre how we were so poor on Tuesday. When we tick we totally dominate a game and suck the life out of the opponents and crowd. To be honest patches of the game were boring. Which is perfect when you’re 1 up away at a potentially hostile ground. Shut them right up.

So many good options from the bench as well. And all without our linchpin for the whole game plan, Downes. Think we’ll also be better for having a full back at full back, and seeing as we’ve proved we’re more solid without Manning, I look forward to Bree’s return!

If he, Downes, THB and KWP stay fit, I don’t see us shipping many more goals again. Rest of the season looks really promising and fresh off the back of such a poor display on Tuesday that’s a real sign of our quality but mostly our character. 

Agree with most of this. Good summary 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Thanks Chewy. Great to hear some support for Charles. Like you, I think he will be a great player. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Great write up, agree with everything you say. Maybe a tiny bit harsh on Rothwelll...! I like him, he's got a good touch and can glide away with the ball - will be important for us imo.

Agree on Charles though, I hate the way fans equate the price tag to how he should be. It's amazing how many people forget he'd never played pro football before the summer. I think he's got real potential, just some refinement to do in certain areas which will come. The raw tools are there though, he'd be exciting to coach.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Indeed.  RM's faith in the Armstrong brother Stu is well justified.    He might be prone to a knock or bump, and may cough up the ball now and again - but more often than not he runs, drives, assists and last night busts a gut to track back which both inspires others and lifts the team to a winning performance.    Takes a decent corner and free kick too!

The other reflection I have about last night after watching the replay.....when you're thinking about the players who have done well, helped the team, played a blinder; I found myself forgetting about KWP.     It is so mainstream for him to deliver a sublime, classy, smooth-as-silk performance you almost rate it as routine!

I agree about your comments re KWP.  He just seems to glide over the pitch live a hovercraft Such a silky dribbler

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Indeed, and AA can't play himself back into form if he's sat on the bench either.

But I agree it's a dilemma. His finishing has been woeful for the last few games. 

I think this where RM has been superb with his subs and having such a good bench. Such an advantage being able use up to five. 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Saw him outside a local pub the other day, he’s just as good in real life 

He’s a good lad, one of my mates is an uncle to his wife. Last season we took their young son to the Leeds away game, (we’d  got him tickets in the Saints section), and met up with Prutts in the pub before the game for a few pints and chat, before he went to sit in complimentary seats he got from Leeds and the rest of us and his son watched from Saints section

• Like 1

Very happy to be proven wrong on the result. I thought WBA would have too much for us, especially without Downes, but we started so positively and they looked beaten from the first 10 minutes. 

Fair play to Russ, huge result when Leeds and Ipswich are expecting the wheels to come off 

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Commentators last night were salivating at the prospect of a winner-takes-all final match at Elland Rd. Not sure I'd survive such tension myself.

It won't be winner takes all because a draw would be enough for one of the teams if we're both a few points above Ipswich.

Stupid commentators.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Commentators last night were salivating at the prospect of a winner-takes-all final match at Elland Rd. Not sure I'd survive such tension myself.

Sky are desperate for it to go down to that last match, understandably for viewing figures etc.

But I do get the underlying feeling that Sky are hoping for Leeds to go up so yet another "big club" takes their rightful place at the top table. Its been said before and still rings true, broadcasters dont want the likes of Southampton, Bournemouth, Luton, Palace, Brentford and (despite their hot run currently) Brighton bringing down their viewing figures !

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, obelisk said:

It wont get to that Imo. One of us will be more than 3 points clear at that stage. The worse though if it is tight that we only need a point to go up.

Quick stand outs for me from last night.

Stuey Armstrong's chase back and perfect tackle, saving a good goalscoring chance. Yet another Fraser goal, what a player he is turning out to be, please sign him. Brooks goal, he looks class, please sign him. Bazuna's wonder save, almost up there with Gordon Banks back in the day.

Perfect response to crap display and result to Bristol City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Was well outside the box but a definite foul/ yellow card offence.

What, the one in the first half where matey slammed into the back of Mara? Swore it was inside.

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Sky are desperate for it to go down to that last match, understandably for viewing figures etc.

But I do get the underlying feeling that Sky are hoping for Leeds to go up so yet another "big club" takes their rightful place at the top table. Its been said before and still rings true, broadcasters dont want the likes of Southampton, Bournemouth, Luton, Palace, Brentford and (despite their hot run currently) Brighton bringing down their viewing figures !

Not sure you can compare saints to Bournemouth, Luton and Brentford. Palace maybe and possibly Brighton. 

I watched on Sky and I love their commentary. I think that we were very lucky last night. WBA were denied the clearest penalty ever not awarded in the history of the Championship. Baz would have never have saved it and spurred on by their goal, Albion would have scored 5 in the second half like we did last week. We were very lucky to avoid a hefty defeat. 

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I watched on Sky and I love their commentary. I think that we were very lucky last night. WBA were denied the clearest penalty ever not awarded in the history of the Championship. Baz would have never have saved it and spurred on by their goal, Albion would have scored 5 in the second half like we did last week. We were very lucky to avoid a hefty defeat. 

Huh? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure you can compare saints to Bournemouth, Luton and Brentford. Palace maybe and possibly Brighton. 

youve missed the point, i'm not comparing them one against another but I am saying none of them are seen as "big name" clubs that attract a big following like a Leeds do.

5 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

You're better than that, Tame.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I love that second goal, it was brilliant and came at a good time in the game

When people were crying out for a 2nd goal before half time I was actually thinking to myself: "no, don't get the second too soon because we might start sitting back on it. Best wait until part way through the half"... Good to see the team tuning into my thought patterns... ;)

12 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

youve missed the point, i'm not comparing them one against another but I am saying none of them are seen as "big name" clubs that attract a big following like a Leeds do.

I would imagine we attract significantly more eyeballs than Bournemouth for example.