Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jack Stephens - Saint or Sinner?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    Stephens was pretty much written off by everyone
    Not everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by saint77 View Post
    Jack and JWP have both transformed in the last month or so
    I think it has helped both players that we now play a back 4 with 2 dm's. I don't think Jack was comfortable in a back 3 and I also felt that JWP wasn't entirely effective in a midfield 3; both their roles were muddied a bit, whereas they now have simpler, and more direct roles.

I thought they were both excellent yesterday.

Jack is benefiting from a settled back 4 and from being picked each week

We saw similar improvements in him before when he was given a run (recall the “better than Maguire” posts)

he did however then implode and got sloppy again. Hopefully this time he has permanently improved

time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Yeah was very much a fan of Stephens because he looked like he had all the attributes but felt all the switching off meant he'd run out of road at saints. Glad to see him bounce back. Long may it continue.
    The thing is, he never had the attributes. He was poor in the air and couldnít mark. In fact, all he was good at was 1-1 defending.

I donít know whatís happened, but he has really come a vital part of the team. Heís becoming the leader we needed at the back and whilst I do worry mistakes could creep back into his game, long may this form continue.

We still need a Cb, but at this rate, we play them with Stephens.

Credit to Jack and Ralph.

5. Default

The 3 CB experiment was never a good idea, I hated it. Stephens is the only CB we have who I would regard as properly comfortable on the ball. With 3 CB’s on at once we didn’t become more solid we just invited pressure and became more likely to see mistakes. I get why we did it, but it was horrible mostly. With the personnel we have, it’s been so important we play on the front foot.

Fair play to him, he's stepped it up massively and long may it continue. Absolutely has proved me wrong.

Absolutly proven me wrong, didn't look capable and was out of his depth. I think he has a bit more protection in and around him, but still he's proven me wrong and taken charge.

Jack has been a man mountain the last 4 or 5 games, hasn't made a notable mistake. I love eating my words when it comes to him at the moment!

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    The thing is, he never had the attributes. He was poor in the air and couldnít mark. In fact, all he was good at was 1-1 defending.

I donít know whatís happened, but he has really come a vital part of the team. Heís becoming the leader we needed at the back and whilst I do worry mistakes could creep back into his game, long may this form continue.

We still need a Cb, but at this rate, we play them with Stephens.

Credit to Jack and Ralph.
    All about opinions but I reckon that he has always had the ability and lack of concentration and positioning were the negatives !
    He is actually very comfortable on the ball and his distribution (see Ings goal v Spurs) can be very good also !

Jackenbauer.

Quote Originally Posted by sambosa75 View Post
    Jackenbauer.
    I recall that comparison being made in his early days, about the same time he was considered better than Maguire (after a single game at St Mary's vHull).

Quote Originally Posted by sambosa75 View Post
    Jackenbauer.
    No, that was when he played for Torpoint United.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomosaint View Post
    Jack has been a man mountain the last 4 or 5 games, hasn't made a notable mistake. I love eating my words when it comes to him at the moment!
    Ah! The extravagance of a new poster. Never mind you'll soon pick up the local language lad.

15. Default

Total speculation but I wonder if he's been working with a psychologist to improve his concentration

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer View Post
    Total speculation but I wonder if he's been working with a psychologist to improve his concentration
    or maybe someone told him to pull his finger out or we would sell him to Bolton, either way it looks like we have the player who many of us thought he could be when he first cam into the team so long may it continue.

17. Default

Reading an article in the Athletic it seems Ralph has been a big influence, challenging him to do better, working on his weaknesses and that he suits the system as he is our best ball playing defender. Also have to remember he has only just turned 25, centre-backs usually take a while to learn their trade, a lot of defending comes from experience unless you have raw pace to cover any mistakes. Van Dijk was 24 when he joined us and until he start performing regularly for us their were doubts over his ability, hence why he wasn't picked up by bigger clubs whilst at Gronigen and then Celtic.

Also credit is given to him being a good communicator, so a lot the improvement is probably from having a stable back, the right players in front of him as well, and every working well as a unit.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Reading an article in the Athletic it seems Ralph has been a big influence, challenging him to do better, working on his weaknesses and that he suits the system as he is our best ball playing defender. Also have to remember he has only just turned 25, centre-backs usually take a while to learn their trade, a lot of defending comes from experience unless you have raw pace to cover any mistakes. Van Dijk was 24 when he joined us and until he start performing regularly for us their were doubts over his ability, hence why he wasn't picked up by bigger clubs whilst at Gronigen and then Celtic.

Also credit is given to him being a good communicator, so a lot the improvement is probably from having a stable back, the right players in front of him as well, and every working well as a unit.
    Load of nonsense about Van Dijk, he was quality from day one here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post

Yeah undoubtedly. But there's a very good reason why he signed for us at that point in his career and not for Liverpool/City/Barca.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post

He was, but there were clearly reasons why he ended up at us and Celtic previously, not much bigger clubs, and those were doubts about his ability.

Point was very few centre-backs are the finished article at 24-25, most don't peak until their late 20s, maybe Stephens is finally fulfilling his potential and putting the talent he clearly has (otherwise he wouldn't have been here for so long) and using it to produce on the pitch.

Or maybe it's just a run of good form and he'll return to type in a few months.

Fonte is another good example, he had been bumming it around on loan at various clubs in his early 20s, then signed for Palace in the championship than we signed him in League 1, at about 25-26, doubt many would have predicted in his early 20s that he'd go on to be a good Premier League centre-back, earn 42 caps for Portugal and win the Euros with them.

Nominated as Premier League player of the month.

These are weird times we're living in.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Nominated as Premier League player of the month.

These are weird times we're living in.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Pleased for him.

Forum experts have gone a bit quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Pleased for him.

Forum experts have gone a bit quiet.
    I’ll pipe up; I still believe Stephens and Bednarek to be mediocre players at this level, albeit currently enjoying a period of good form. If they have a good season, rather than a good 8 games, I will likely change my mind.

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I’ll pipe up; I still believe Stephens and Bednarek to be mediocre players at this level, albeit currently enjoying a period of good form. If they have a good season, rather than a good 8 games, I will likely change my mind.
    That's fine. My thoughts exactly. It's the "league 1 standard, get rid" brigade I'm referring to.

That's fine. My thoughts exactly. It's the "league 1 standard, get rid" brigade I'm referring to.
    what about the “championship standard get rid” brigade?

he just isn’t competent enough at defending. He’d probably be a decent DCM in the championship but his decision making and marking are not good enough for Premier level.
    mess

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

mess
    ouch, right in the 'nads

27. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

mess

Vote now people : https://plpotm.easports.com/?utm_sou...tm_medium=link

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Vote now people : https://plpotm.easports.com/?utm_sou...tm_medium=link

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    So the player of the month (and manager of the month & goal of the month) crown goes to the player who plays for the club with the most supporters (i.e. voters) rather than the best player, per se? #flawedsystem

Done! Jack has been immense recently and deserves to be in the running for the award

Might not win it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Might not win it now?
    He might not win January player of the month because he was unfortunate to score an own goal in February?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    He might not win January player of the month because he was unfortunate to score an own goal in February?

Excellent again today. Will Gareth come calling..?