Gerrard New Villa Boss

SFC Forever

5 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

So Stephen Gerrard is the new Villa Head Coach.

Is it a good move for him?

Fair play to him as I actually think it's quite a difficult job (expectations vs ease of achieving expectations).  Could easily have stayed at Rangers, won a few more trophies and then replaced Klopp when he moves on.

12 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

I think he will do a better job there than Howe will at Newcastle. No reason for this. Just a feeling. Might be wrong. It will be interesting to see how he does in a far more competitive league though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SFC Forever said:

Will make or break him.  Rangers only really have one team to compete against in the league.  Villa in the Prem is a different kettle of fish.  Personally, I hope he fails and Villa die a death.    

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Team in freefall with 5 losses on the bounce and no identity and little quality having sold their best player hires a man with zero experience in a top league off the basis of basically winning a one horse race in Scotland. I can see this all ending in tears personally.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

Team in freefall with 5 losses on the bounce and no identity and little quality having sold their best player hires a man with zero experience in a top league off the basis of basically winning a one horse race in Scotland. I can see this all ending in tears personally.

It’s pretty funny, because if we had sacked Ralph in the summer and replaced him with the now RB Leipzig manager (previously at RB Salazburg), the exact same could have been said about us, but you’d be wetting yourself because he’s a trendy name from a trendy club. 

As for lack of quality, as previously discussed. It’s utter nonsense. If they lack quality so do we. 

Gerrard may or may not be a success there, but as soon as Ings is back, they’ll be absolutely fine. They’ve had a fairly tough recent run with the addition of injuries. 

• Like 3

He's assembled an army of backroom staff to help him, so from that perspective he is the absolute dream SaintsWeb Forum appointment.

Backroom staff is what its all about, and he's got, like, five Danny Rohls he has.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s pretty funny, because if we had sacked Ralph in the summer and replaced him with the now RB Leipzig manager (previously at RB Salazburg), the exact same could have been said about us, but you’d be wetting yourself because he’s a trendy name from a trendy club. 

As for lack of quality, as previously discussed. It’s utter nonsense. If they lack quality so do we. 

Gerrard may or may not be a success there, but as soon as Ings is back, they’ll be absolutely fine. They’ve had a fairly tough recent run with the addition of injuries. 

How do you know what I would say? If we had brought in the Salzburg manager when in desperate need of points midseason I would definitely have been concerned. And if you think I'd be happy with Ralph being replaced you don't read my posts very carefully.

As for lack of quality, did you not watch Friday? Or any of their proceeding four losses, they are not a good side. Also, regarding Ings, he will probably be out for like a month more if it is his hamstring and then will be poor for a little while after that judging by how he recovered from the last one.

Edited by TWar

47 minutes ago, TWar said:

I personally don't buy this "zero experience" stuff- it's like a catch 22 to be honest and I always say it might be because he is English we think like that.

Thomas Tuchel had a sole season in the German lower divisions before being given the Mainz job and then on to Dortmund.

Pep Guardiola had one season with with the Barca B team before given the Barca role.

Zidane spent a few years as RM assistant and B team manager before being given the RM job.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more I'd like for him to slip up and Villa to go down because they are our competitors, but it's not quite zero experience, he has done a good job in Scotland and won the league.

I'm not sure what else he should be doing? Go to a top league abroad? That doesn't work out for British managers that much, perhaps due to language barriers

Get a team promoted from the Championship? Neil Warnock and plenty of others have done that many a times, not exactly a necessity to be a good manager. 

• Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

I personally don't buy this "zero experience" stuff- it's like a catch 22 to be honest and I always say it might be because he is English we think like that.

Thomas Tuchel had a sole season in the German lower divisions before being given the Mainz job and then on to Dortmund.

Pep Guardiola had one season with with the Barca B team before given the Barca role.

Zidane spent a few years as RM assistant and B team manager before being given the RM job.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more I'd like for him to slip up and Villa to go down because they are our competitors, but it's not quite zero experience, he has done a good job in Scotland and won the league.

I'm not sure what else he should be doing? Go to a top league abroad? That doesn't work out for British managers that much, perhaps due to language barriers

Get a team promoted from the Championship? Neil Warnock and plenty of others have done that many a times, not exactly a necessity to be a good manager. 

Internal promotions like Pep and Zidane are kind of different stories for me, they have the big advantage of knowing the squad. Tuchel as you say had the middle step to Mainz who are not a massive team.

The next step for Gerrard for me would be to move in the summer to a newly promoted side or championship side, it feels like a massive step up and being midseason I think it is a very steep learning curve to come in immediately and turn that team around.

55 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Slightly overrated as a player (had fantastic games now and then like Pogba) has done ok at Rangers but Villa is a challenge beyond Rangers . I think he realised at Rangers (like Celtic) that they don’t have the money.

😂 slightly overrated as a player! heard it all now.

• Like 1

I think there are risks for both sides of this. AV may be getting a manager who struggles in the tougher environment of the PL. Gerrard is putting his high reputation on the line and if his time at AV is said to be poor or even not good then the prospect of landing the Liverpool job could fade pretty fast.  However wouldn't mind a cheeky wager that he could end up being the next but one England manager!

I'm really surprised. I thought he would stay at Rangers then walk into the Liverpool job when Klippity calls time.

This way, if he screws up at Villa, his chances of getting the Liverpool job decrease markedly. If he makes a succes of it however the Liverpool job is a certainty.

Hoping for a re-emergence of old Slippy G 😄

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

11th December is a good date to unplug the TV, if anyone wants avoid the kind of media spectacle that will give you diabetes.

Without checking, I'm guessing that's when Villa play Liverpool, yeah?

Christ, I really don't want to listen to Carragher on Sky when that happens. Think I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I'm really surprised. I thought he would stay at Rangers then walk into the Liverpool job when Klippity calls time.

This way, if he screws up at Villa, his chances of getting the Liverpool job decrease markedly. If he makes a succes of it however the Liverpool job is a certainty.

Hoping for a re-emergence of old Slippy G 😄

I think it’ll be a really good move for him. 

He knows and has a working relationship with the CEO and unless it’s a compete disaster will be given a fair amount of time. 

He won’t be on a shoestring and he’ll be given enough money to improve the side where it’s needed, without having stupid, Newcastle esq, budgets which can really distabalize a dressing room. 

They’re a pretty well ran club and whilst they’ll have ambitions of breaking into the top 6, I don’t think they’ll have unrealistic expectations.

It’s an opportunity to manage in the biggest league with a squad that is more than good enough to stay up. If he plays a decent style and cements them as a top 10 club (easily achievable imo), then in 2-3 years, bigger clubs I.e Liverpool will be sniffing.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Without checking, I'm guessing that's when Villa play Liverpool, yeah?

Christ, I really don't want to listen to Carragher on Sky when that happens. Think I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

The flaw in your plan is you'll still be able to hear him.

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I think it’ll be a really good move for him. 

He knows and has a working relationship with the CEO and unless it’s a compete disaster will be given a fair amount of time. 

He won’t be on a shoestring and he’ll be given enough money to improve the side where it’s needed, without having stupid, Newcastle esq, budgets which can really distabalize a dressing room. 

They’re a pretty well ran club and whilst they’ll have ambitions of breaking into the top 6, I don’t think they’ll have unrealistic expectations.

It’s an opportunity to manage in the biggest league with a squad that is more than good enough to stay up. If he plays a decent style and cements them as a top 10 club (easily achievable imo), then in 2-3 years, bigger clubs I.e Liverpool will be sniffing.  

Agree - this is the way I can imagine it turning out too.

The only thing is there is a group of clubs (Villa, Everton, Newcastle, possibly Leeds, West Ham) whose supporters are never going to be happy unless they are there or thereabouts for Europe every year.  The mindset comes from an outdated and over inflated opinion of their clubs' status.  And they can't all do it.  So they spend their time in various states of disgruntlement.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

So now we are sweating on Ralph being tempted up the A11 to Naarich! 🤪

Latest news I heard was that Norwich were about to name Frank Lampard as their new manager. I am quite sure that will end in tears for him as we all know him and Stevie G could never play in the same league 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I want him to fail.  Not for any particular malicious reasons, but with Newcastle's new found riches, West Hams recent investment, and now Gerrard at Villa, that's potentially 3 teams that are normally in our 'league' that have got a massive boost, and that potentially drives us towards the inevitable relegation places - if not this season then in seasons to come.  Got a lot of respect for what Gerrard achieved in the game, but hope that this turns sour pretty damn quickly.

• Like 1

Least he will funds available to him at Villa, he was very limited in the summer at Rangers and according to the Athletic article was unhappy at that. Though that was partly his fault as funds at Rangers are dependent upon CL qualification....which they flubbed when they were 1-0 up against the 10 men of mighty Malmo

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Micky said:

I want him to fail.  Not for any particular malicious reasons, but with Newcastle's new found riches, West Hams recent investment, and now Gerrard at Villa, that's potentially 3 teams that are normally in our 'league' that have got a massive boost, and that potentially drives us towards the inevitable relegation places - if not this season then in seasons to come.  Got a lot of respect for what Gerrard achieved in the game, but hope that this turns sour pretty damn quickly.

Tbh in a normal world and with our current business model, we really shouldnt be looking at WHU, Villa and Newcastle as relegation rivals. Not convinced that Villa or Newcastle are any better off with their appointments. There will be the initial uplift that a new boss inevitably brings but both have limitations as managers which will be exposed in the long run imo

8 hours ago, TWar said:

Once again a one sided view of things from you. It could very well end in tears I give you that. However, I don't agree Villa have little quality. They have some more than reasonable players. They are on a bad run at the moment, Ings is out. They will turn it round. As for Gerrard, managing Rangers is not a bad start. Lots of pressure and expectation there which he lived up to. European competition too. It's a very logical move for him to make, the jump thats required if he wants to manage the Scouse some point in the future. It's a risk, but you don't get anywhere without taking on risk in life.

Ideal situation for me is he does just well enough for Villa that the Scouse come calling when klippety fucks off and then he fails miserably there. Would be lovely to see.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, manji said:

Rangers fans suggesting Hasenthull moving to Scotland due to the Ross Wilson connection.

Not going to happen but it would be a dreadful fit for both Ralph and Rangers.

Do you think? I think Ralph would have them coasting to the title. Would be a weird move for him though

49 minutes ago, manji said:

Rangers fans suggesting Hasenthull moving to Scotland due to the Ross Wilson connection.

Can't see that at all, unless he's desperate to be competing at the top of a lesser league and having a little taste of European football. Backwards step for me. 

54 minutes ago, manji said:

Lol, Ralph has just spent 3 years trying to get rid of the shite Wilson lumbered him with. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TWar said:

Winning a one horse race isn't always a given. Just look at Poch with PSG last season.