Saints 2-2 Leicester - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

thought he has looked quite bright though.

He was, but he always takes fractionally too long to make a decision when it comes to the important moment. Classic example earlier when Broja was crying out to be put in, and he just didn't do it and ended up wasting the chance. I actually found that more frustrating than Broja turning back, even though that was a more 'wtf' moment. Got the impression Broja didn't realise the first time shot was on, whereas I don't know what Elyounoussi's excuse for not making the blindingly obvious pass was.

• Like 2

Good point.

Good 1st half, rubbish 2nd, as per. JWP was good.

Armstrong was terrible.  Offers almost nothing.  McCarthy has to do better for at least 1 of those goals

However, if you offered 1 point before the game, I am sure most would have taken it.  However, another 2nd half where we are crap is a concern.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Mccarthy saves and palms it back into the middle of the goal yet again.

And how many goalkeeping coaches do we have, if i recall one of them used to be in the national team set up.....................!!!! Should have stopped both imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why should it? We didn't play well enough to deserve a win IMO. Leicester are a decent side who we have no divine right to be beating.

Because most teams can defend a lead we lost it twice 

• Sad 1

Point was probably fair, given Vardy missed a glorious chance for them.

Feels disappointing after being in the lead twice. Also still the after effect of that awful norwich result.

Liked seeing tella get minutes, offered something different. Maybe should have reacted immediately to their HT sub and brought Elyounessi in who tucks more. Didn't like seeing Armstrong as a ten even if it was only for 5/6 minutes. Broja probably has to start over him up front at the moment too. Looks a threat, just wish he had a left foot and we might have won from the chance where he tried to drag it all the way round to his right.

Mccarthy, well we saw the bad and the good. I think both goals at the very least could have done better from him but that save at 2-2 (from barnes?)was top quality.

Livramento to me looks very leggy. Would really like ralph just to give him a breather at weekend.

Ndidi could have been sent off imo. Getting no punishment for kicking romwu in the stomach was just bad regardless if the falg was up or not.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 2

Would have taken a point before the game as Leicester are a decent side, but given the manner in which we conceded the equalisers its a disappointing point now. Coupled up with the Norwich result that’s a good 5 points Macca has cost us.

• Like 1

I’ve felt for some time that Ralph’s second half changes are not determined by what’s going on in front of him, but almost planned in advance. He seldom seems to respond to opposition changes that alter the momentum (e.g. Watford, Norwich), and he’s slow to see the resultant danger when players are underperforming (Tino, A. Armstrong), or when the opposition has sussed out a weakness (KWP on his wrong side).

I think Ralph does quite a lot right - more than he gets credit for, but this obstinate, arrogant side of him is infuriating.

No wonder we’re stuck in a groove of great starts and shit finishes.

• Like 2

Tbh, Im very happy with a point from that. Yes we can complain about McCarthy with the first goal and we can moan about fading in the second half but the truth is - as everyone on here knows- other clubs simply have better players than us and it really showed in the second half. It is what it is, thats our budget and Leicester have good players all over the pitch.

Thought KWP was great tonight and the two cm did well. Armstrong is clearly still struggling and although it was great to see Tella starting, you could see his rustiness translated in his hesitancy once it got around the box. Special mention for me goes to a player Ive previously hammered and thats Redmond. I thought he was excellent in the first half. We desperately miss the drive of Stu thru the middle tho. Christ,  we could do with someone as good as Maddison in our midfield.  Anyway, hard to watch second half but happy with the point and the first half performance.  

• Like 3

Just now, sadoldgit said:

Proof, if any more proof were needed that you are indeed Delldays/Batman!!! 

Mate, your head needs a wobble, or something else to obsess about.  I am not this person. As said before, we have met a few years back (before a game), and you were a wet lettuce then, as like now.

• Confused 1

Unfortunately, that's now two games in quick succession that McCarthy has cost us in, four big errors, four goals conceded against Norwich and Leicester tonight. Seems like his confidence is shot again after some good saves in the winning run just a few weeks back. Desperately needs improving, hopefully the answer can be found in January.

Livramento is an inconsistent youngster at this stage of his career. Unfortunately, since the Villa game he's been consistently poor. I'd get KWP back on his strong right side and take Livramento out of the firing line for a bit, as there was a period, which included the second goal where he was getting spun by Maddison for fun, which simply would not happen with KWP.

Armstrong was also poor. Whoever made the Shane Long comparison the other day was spot on with tonight's showing being very close to what we've become accustomed to from Long, only thing he didn't do is stand offside for 90% of the match. But, hey, at least Long had some good seasons and moments here. 🤷‍♂️ Broja needs to start and he should have taken that chance at the end first time.

Elyounoussi is a waste of an attacking sub and Salisu made two huge errors which put Leicester through on goal both times. Can't be doing that.

Redmond (great cross for the second goal), Adams and KWP were the positives for me. Romeu had a good first half, but was hamstrung by the early second half booking.

At least we got two goals, but we can't be doing with needing three to win a match.

• Like 2

Fair and decent result from what I saw.

As per usual we came out of the blocks the sharpest, the quickest and we got onto them very quickly and got an early goal for our early pressure. Their equaliser was totally against the run of play at the time, and it was truly dreadful goalkeeping really. But that's pretty much what you get with average players. A few good saves (as we saw late on) and some pretty poor/average attempts at saving goals for good measure.

Our reaction impressed me though, last year and the year before our heads dropped at any sign of adversity but this year we seem to have a bit more about us and we responded really well - and actually got a goal again through Adams. Dreadful defending by Leicester though, shocking really, but he was in the right place to get the flick.

Second half pretty much went the way we all knew it would go. Leicester improved, as they had to, they were diabolical in the first half. We then inevitably dipped and we lost some of our energy. We didn't protect the lead long enough though, giving Leicester the goal so early on was frustrating. Livramento should look back at that, he was done a few times on that side in this game and generally his level has dropped massively. 

Rest of the second half was a bit huff and puff, they probably should have won it with the Barnes chance (great save) and the Vardy miss, so I'd take a point from that as a positive and the performance generally was a positive.

My biggest concern to take out from this game is Armstrong. He looks so far off a PL player it's scary. You can usually see attributes in players that are suggestive that they can make an impact, but I'm still not seeing anything. I see someone who runs a lot, isn't particularly quick, mistimes his touches and scuffs shots and passes. Very much a championship player out of his comfort zone. Broja, even at his tender age, looks far more accomplished as a centre forward.

Onto the weekend - get 3 points at the weekend and 4 from these 2 is positive. So that's what we have to focus on now, the results around us have gone right in our favour.

Also I hope the fan is ok - to have two of those events in one night is incredibly strange. By all accounts he was conscious when he was taken out, so fingers crossed.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Unfortunately, that's now two games in quick succession that McCarthy has cost us in, four big errors, four goals conceded against Norwich and Leicester tonight. Seems like his confidence is shot again after some good saves in the winning run just a few weeks back. Desperately needs improving, hopefully the answer can be found in January.

Livramento is an inconsistent youngster at this stage of his career. Unfortunately, since the Villa game he's been consistently poor. I'd get KWP back on his strong right side and take Livramento out of the firing line for a bit, as there was a period, which included the second goal where he was getting spun by Maddison for fun, which simply would not happen with KWP.

Armstrong was also poor. Whoever made the Shane Long comparison the other day was spot on with tonight's showing being very close to what we've become accustomed to from Long, only thing he didn't do is stand offside for 90% of the match. But, hey, at least Long had some good seasons and moments here. 🤷‍♂️ Broja needs to start and he should have taken that chance at the end first time.

Elyounoussi is a waste of an attacking sub and Salisu made two huge errors which put Leicester through on goal both times. Can't be doing that.

Redmond (great cross for the second goal), Adams and KWP were the positives for me. Romeu had a good first half, but was hamstrung by the early second half booking.

At least we got two goals, but we can't be doing with needing three to win a match.

You are obviously a big fan of KWP - so am I. However, you don't mention that he made two catastrophic errors which could and should have gifted Leicester all 3 points. The through ball for Vardy was the best offensive pass of the game.

McCarthy may have parried the shot to their first goal and should've saved it but with Forster in goal the initial shot goes in...

Forster doesn't stop the second either

No way does Forster make that fingertip save either.

We need a better first team goalkeeper, don't think there's anyone who doesn't recognise that. But an aging Forster is the worst option for sure.

• Like 5

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

McCarthy may have parried the shot to their first goal and should've saved it but with Forster in goal the initial shot goes in...

We need a better first team goalkeeper, don't think there's anyone who doesn't recognise that. But an aging Forster is the worst option for sure.

That's pretty much it really. Two very average goalkeepers, both have lots of shit points to their game, both are capable of making the odd save. Changing one for the other makes zero difference. 

We just need a new goalkeeper, pretty common knowledge. The club know it, we've just got to limp through this season as best we can and see what we can come up with in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

You are obviously a big fan of KWP - so am I. However, you don't mention that he made two catastrophic errors which could and should have gifted Leicester all 3 points. The through ball for Vardy was the best offensive pass of the game.

I attributed that to Salisu as his error, as the way I saw it, it was poor control. Maybe I was wrong, but an example of why KWP shouldn't be on his weak foot certainly.

35 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good point.

Good 1st half, rubbish 2nd, as per. JWP was good.

Armstrong was terrible.  Offers almost nothing.  McCarthy has to do better for at least 1 of those goals

However, if you offered 1 point before the game, I am sure most would have taken it.  However, another 2nd half where we are crap is a concern.

Spot on. Exactly how I'd summarise it.  The second half was utterly predictable, something has to change.

Just now, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Macarthy for all his faults made a miraculous save following Walker-Peters first error. Even the ref acknowledged I noted. 

Yep, that was a cracking save. And equally a save I couldn't imagine Forster getting down quick enough to make. 

The first goal was the most disappointing though, very weak.

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Think forster would save the second. I very much agree we need a better keeper than either next season.

i’m hoping Those couple of saves (though lyanco bailed him on a somewhat weak parry on the second) give McCarthy some much needed confidence back.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Think forster would save the second. I very much agree we need a better keeper than either next season.

i’m hoping Those couple of saves (though lyanco bailed him on a somewhat weak parry on the second) give McCarthy some much needed confidence back.

We need a keeper in January 

Really good first half.  Thought Redmond looked really good first half, but spent most of the second half challenging their centre-backs in the air.

Armstrong was disappointing.  He needs a better first touch and better awareness of what’s around him.

Broja looked decent, made some great runs, but what was he doing at the end?  

Any news on Stuart Armstrong?  Would be great to have him back.

The first goal was straight at him. He should smother it. Forster would have done much better. He is great at saving stuff straight at him.

I don't believe McCarthy should take any blame for the second. I'm sure most will disagree, but that's my opinion.

Macca's save earned us a point. It was absolutely outstanding. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah right, adding 8 children to the empty space around the pitch is too risky. Nevermind the tens of thousands of people sat in the stands.

I’m giving you the reason, I don’t want or deserve a smart arse comment! The difference is, clever arse, those tens of thousands aren’t touching the ball are they?

I ain’t made the rules 🙄

46 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Thought we did ok and ended quite strong tbh

we did. We were in trouble for a long period, when gaps opened up, but we turned it around with Broja and Ely giving us some fresh legs. They missed Tielmans. I guess we miss S Armstrong. Happy with a point. Leicester are not world beaters this year though, so not getting carried away.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I would've taken 4 points from Leicester and Brighton, so if we do win, and I think we will, this will look like a decent result.

Spot on.

Both Leicester & Brighton aren’t in great form, so 4 points is about par imo. The problem is if we draw sat, or god forbid lose, tonight will not look so good. 

• Like 1