Wolves 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Did the club put all their eggs in one basket with the striker this window? And when it never worked out it was too late for second choice option? 

Judging by the players we were linked to, we were certainly trying for a few different attacking players (and signed a couple of them).

When it comes to out and out strikers good enough for the Prem, there aren’t too many baskets to put eggs in.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

It's a bad miss, he needed a bit more composure to just stand and wait for the ball to drop but he panicked and rushed it. 

It is not however the worst miss of all time.

Not even close to being in top 50 worst of all time. Recency bias FFS

Between the ABK chance and Che's two headers there were enough chances to score at least one.

The stats show 12 shots and only one on target. It wasn't Che's day today, but there isn't really another option.

Edozie looks a player, but probably as an impact sub for a while. 

Defense was alright, we missed Lavia as the shield in front though. 

Meh, one of those days. It's only really the Spurs game this season where you could say we really deserved to lose.

• Like 1

We'll win some, we'll lose some and we'll draw some this season. 

Didn't deserve to lose to Man Utd or today, but that's football. 

We'll win games this season that we didn't deserve to win. 

I think people have got carried away with our transfer business and expect us to be challenging for a top half finish immediately. 

These lads will need time, but the future looks bright.

Plus we never win at Wolves, so this result shouldn't come as much of a surprise! 

• Like 6

And that’s why we needed a decent striker. Sorry but that was known by the club and in an otherwise great window, that could be the difference in us having a really good season.
That and Ralph still now not knowing again what his best team is when trying to beat a team like Wolves - Diallo and Ely are seriously too lightweight for these types of games, as Perraud and Djenepo are a liability going forwards when playing a back four.

Just a wild stab in the dark…but I reckon we need a striker…you know…someone who can put the ball in the net. 

perhaps that should’ve been a priority in the transfer window. 
Others managed it I think.

Diego Costa on a free anybody?  
All the good work undone because we couldn’t improve our striking options. 
such a shame. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, disconnect said:

Mara has looked very promising every time he’s come on and can do things that Che and Armstrong can’t. We need to start playing him from the off as looks really good and can make things happen

To me he's completely raw & subs bench is right place for him. Some good stuff(assist vs Leeds), some awful (header today which ended up going back to sender)

Pretty even game.  A little bit more clinical up front and we'd have got something.  

Our CB's do look exposed at times when our fullbacks are miles away, and Perraud's legs looked like they'd seriously gone towards the end.  

Edited by Manuel

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Oh well, 3rd game at the end of a pretty intense week.  A full week now to prepare for a very good Brentford side.

Just highlights that the window was not quite the 2nd coming that many suggested (10/10 my arse).  What was the glaring shortfall today was something we all (and the club) knew about.

We are still leaking goals (10 is it now?). If we do not tighten up (noting the lack of finishers), we will be rooted within the bottom 6 soone enough, and no real progress, despite the investment.  

Says the football expert who thought Pelle was crap. We have signed some excellent new players, many of whom who have only turned up this week. Still, you carry on with your doom and gloom, it’s what you have been doing for years Batman. The rest of us will look forward to the players bedding in snd better days to come.

• Like 6

This was my fear really, in the PL against most teams you don't ever get many chances (especially against Wolves), so when you do get a chance you need to be clinical - but we don't have clinical players sadly, and that has been evident for a long time now.

It was a good performance from us in terms of the control of the game, we defended against them pretty well and limited their out and out opportunities, but against Wolves our own chances will be few and far between but we had a couple of good ones. That miss by Adams was just diabolical but sadly this is what he does, he's good for between 5-10 goals a season but not much more, as he spurns chances like that.

Elyounoussi in an attacking sense was diabolical. We were much better with Armstrong in that position. Moussa added some directness to our game as well, Aribo struggled a bit as the game went on. Diallo was as expected out muscled in the middle of the park really, that pairing never works.

The positive is that we look tighter, we have better recovery pace throughout the team, but my fear remains - we don't have a game changing attacker to turn tight games like that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This was my fear really, in the PL against most teams you don't ever get many chances (especially against Wolves), so when you do get a chance you need to be clinical - but we don't have clinical players sadly, and that has been evident for a long time now.

It was a good performance from us in terms of the control of the game, we defended against them pretty well and limited their out and out opportunities, but against Wolves our own chances will be few and far between but we had a couple of good ones. That miss by Adams was just diabolical but sadly this is what he does, he's good for between 5-10 goals a season but not much more, as he spurns chances like that.

Elyounoussi in an attacking sense was diabolical. We were much better with Armstrong in that position. Moussa added some directness to our game as well, Aribo struggled a bit as the game went on. Diallo was as expected out muscled in the middle of the park really, that pairing never works.

The positive is that we look tighter, we have better recovery pace throughout the team, but my fear remains - we don't have a game changing attacker to turn tight games like that.

I think we've signed two game changing attackers. Only a matter of time before they are starting.

1 minute ago, coalman said:

I think we've signed two game changing attackers. Only a matter of time before they are starting.

Edioze and Mara? That's pretty much what we're pinning our hopes on for sure, one of those is going to need to be a Broja for us, otherwise this is going to be an incredibly infuriating season.

• Like 1

We are set up to contain a lot these days (I get it, even if it's not great to see), so we invite a bit of pressure.

Although Bazuniu bailed us out with a couple of runs out of his area, that was when we were trying to equalise. Wolves weren't peppering our goal. Their goal came from someone who went missing allowing a runner to have loads of space. It was in KWP's area. As Woves moved up the park reasonably quickly for the goal, he was probably miles away, and we hadn't got anyone in to cover that space. Wolves exploited that space behind KWP a couple of times. That's something Ralph is going to have to sort. Perraud got caught a bit for pace and positioning today, and has done a lot better previously.

Diallo had some good passes, but the team really missed a Romeo/ Lavia figure today. I know the club were keen to move him on, lowering that wage bill. But Romeu had a lot of attributes that would have helped us out today.

Being a bit more compact, means we're not initially going to create loads of chances outselves. We have to be clinical with what we get. Adams missed a sitter by striker standards, as the ball hit his arm from his head. He could have done better with a second effort too. But the formation would have been Adams or our new striker, and his hold up play is decent.

Ralph does seem to have plenty of attacking options available, if not outright strikers. So when Edozie made a great run into the box, there was no one to take advantage of it.

There are any number of teams similarly placed in the bottom half this season. Saints plan is to hope that the mostly youth signings can fire often enough to keep us safe.

I was hoping for a point here today. Had it not been for acres of space given away for their goal, we'd have probably have got it, judging by the rest of the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Says the football expert who thought Pelle was crap. We have signed some excellent new players, many of whom who have only turned up this week. Still, you carry on with your doom and gloom, it’s what you have been doing for years Batman. The rest of us will look forward to the players bedding in snd better days to come.

At least we are improving in Batman's eyes. A couple of weeks ago we were definitely going to be relegated. Now it is the bottom 6.

I wonder if he has told Bournemouth that they are definitely going to be relegated. You would have thought that he would know that a 9 nil defeat does not mean automatic relegation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Edioze and Mara? That's pretty much what we're pinning our hopes on for sure, one of those is going to need to be a Broja for us, otherwise this is going to be an incredibly infuriating season.

Yes. I agree but I've seen enough to think both of them can be a Broja

Can’t help but think that would have been a different game with Romeo or Romeu in there. JWP looked good when got on the ball but was busy mopping up for Diallo. His set pieces were dreadful, mind.

End of the day, risible finishing has cost us at least a point. But can’t blame Adams for it all, the three behind him have to step up a bit we simply didn’t make their keeper work. Some shaky moments at the other end but more from Perraud being off the ball and no decent CM shielding going on.

Elmo is really not up to it, Diallo is absolutely not a holding midfielder, Djenepo should only play if it’s to be at LB.

Very impressed with how calm Edozie looks, exciting to see what he does. AMN was quiet but comfortable.

A very Saints performance and result.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

Overall performance was OK but got to be disappointed with that, handed Wolves first win,  their goal was very soft , out finishing was poor. Can see us being very inconsistent this season. Going to be a tight division the way its going. 

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agree, we don't have a natural finisher in the side so will need a lot of chances per goal unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No, they just bought a £60m striker and can spend another £300m in January +sack Howe if required

A striker who scored less goals than Che last year iirc….

People keep mouthing off about a ‘striker’ no one seems to have mentioned who this mythical being is, half the clubs in the PL have been looking for a clinical striker there just aren’t many about, even Man Utd couldn’t find one and Chelsea bought a 33 year old ( and known troublemaker) apart from Harland most of the best strikers about are in their 30s. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, madge said:

Does elynoussi have images of Ralph in uncompromising positions… he’s got something over Ralph, surely. He’s average at best, zero trickery, no pokery and slow. 

I’m not a great fan of his but he was outstanding second half against Chelsea, he worked his guts out. I can see why Ralph stuck with him today tbf.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Can’t help but think that would have been a different game with Romeo or Romeu in there. JWP looked good when got on the ball but was busy mopping up for Diallo. His set pieces were dreadful, mind.

End of the day, risible finishing has cost us at least a point. But can’t blame Adams for it, the three behind him have to step up a but, we simply didn’t make their keeper work. Some shaky moments at the other end but more from Perraud being off the ball and no decent CM shielding going on.

Elmo is really not up to it, Diallo is absolutely not a holding midfielder, Djenepo should only play if it’s to be at LB.

Very impressed with how calm Edozie looks, exciting to see what he does. AMN was quiet but comfortable.

A very Saints performance and result.

Agree with that. Diallo wasn't doing enough, expect Maitland Niles would have played there is match fit, will need him against Brentford 

12 minutes ago, coalman said:

Yes. I agree but I've seen enough to think both of them can be a Broja

in what way?

Edioze looks like he could be very creative, and Mara looks like he wants to play in the hole, but neither are the same type as Broja, pace and power dribbling and on the shoulder of the CB stuff.  Both can help us win games. Is that what you mean?

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

A striker who scored less goals than Che last year iirc….

People keep mouthing off about a ‘striker’ no one seems to have mentioned who this mythical being is, half the clubs in the PL have been looking for a clinical striker there just aren’t many about, even Man Utd couldn’t find one and Chelsea bought a 33 year old ( and known troublemaker) apart from Harland most of the best strikers about are in their 30s. 

Yep. He had a very poor season last year, but prior to that he has looked a rare talent.

Scamacca was available for the exact same money as the Gakpo fee, if you believe the amounts being quoted. I agree with you though. Finding top notch strikers is bloody tough. 

26 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

The bedwetters our in force early tonight!!

How many points do you think we will get by the end of October

Saturday 10th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Southampton15:00Brentford

Friday 16th September

PREMIER LEAGUE

Aston Villa20:00Southampton

Saturday 1st October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton15:00Everton

Saturday 8th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Manchester City15:00Southampton

Sunday 16th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00West Ham United

Wednesday 19th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• AFC Bournemouth19:30Southampton

Sunday 23rd October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Southampton14:00Arsenal

Saturday 29th October

PREMIER LEAGUE

• Crystal Palace15:00Southampton

E CAPTURE

8 minutes ago, madge said:

Does elynoussi have images of Ralph in uncompromising positions… he’s got something over Ralph, surely. He’s average at best, zero trickery, no pokery and slow. 

there was one lovely reverse through ball in the first half and some other nice interplay that often goes unnoticed, but a lot didn't work. I think he can play at this level, his touch is decent, but he just doesn't ever run a game, dominate it. Its small flashes at best. You need more.

• Like 1