January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Did we not try to sign him before and he didn't fancy coming to us, or was that just a bollocks rumour followed by bollocks reason why bollocks rumour didn't happen?

I just told my Everton fan that he will join their team tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, jemanson said:

My suggestion to my son as we watched on Saturday. If you watch the shooting practice before the game he generally outscores everyone else ... puts his foot through the ball as I think the saying goes.

Exactly what Adams and Armstrong don't do. Both are scuffers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Crazy offer, considering midfield is one of their only strong areas with Onana/Iwobi.

Maintain that whilst he's been poor for Chelsea, he's a decent mid-table player where there's less on the ball pressure and more reward for just running around like a mad man.

If that's how they're reinvesting all their Gordon money however, it feels like good news for us.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Anderlecht defender and former Saints superstar Wesley Hoedt is being linked to Watford. Hoedt left us on a free transfer, but we did negotiate a sell on clause. Might see a little extra money coming our way. 

Apparently done. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

And this is an example of why this league is seemingly too expensive for us. Players like Gallagher and Broja to an extent last year, not massively proven, just a young player from a bigger club academy...now attracting bids in the £40m region, whereas we are still flapping around at 10-15m buys expecting to find 'proven quality' in that bracket. Wake up Saints, you can't. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bewildered said:

Down to the player to reject us

Mmm, 2 goals in 14 games this season, lovely! 

In fairness, he has a proven goalscoring record before then. Wonder if we can match his wage demands - I wouldn't be surprised if he sets them high in anticipation of a big deal in the summer

10 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

To look good.... "Look what I got for us and at only (insert suitable figure). Aren't I clever?"

Really

I doubt that it is unlikely that a person n his position would do that but of course some people on here would like to believe it

Any idea who alledgedly the player involved was

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Option 1:  A boat load of cash.  Option 2:  It's bollocks.  Option 3:  It's a line we can trot out to show we at least tried to recruit a striker.

It's probably option 2.  

I've not completely given up on the Rennes winger - seems to me that Rennes have a player who isn't playing regularly and wants to move and as the deadline gets closer they're trying to extract as much as they can.  Dunno if he's the answer or not but I'm not writing it off just yet.

Likewise. Rennes ain't getting €30m for him. Everton may have scouted him in the past, but is Sulemana really a Dyche signing?

Just now, Crab Lungs said:

3m for Dembele is a steal, irrespective of contract length left.

id be surprised if we get anyone though.

Me too and i'd be amazed if he comes here given he's already said no and will no doubt have better choices as a free agent in the summer

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Relatively recent scouting report in lyon quite interesting - https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/moussa-dembele-lyon-celtic-atletico-madrid/

He thinks it is the time to change club," said Lyon's sporting director Juninho at the time of his departure. "He told me he has lost a bit of motivation." 

The warning signs are right there. 

4 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Semmens has probably been haggling with him since he was at Fulham.

You can bet if we sign him we’ve been monitoring him since then and will be delighted to finally get our man, the one we’ve always wanted, after all these years

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Me too and i'd be amazed if he comes here given he's already said no and will no doubt have better choices as a free agent in the summer

maybe he gets a free contract if we go down? So, we effectively pay a £3m loan fee. That doesn't sound like something we would do though. It doesn't feel genuine to me.

We've been after him for ages it seems, so would be logical. Not seen much of him in recent years, apart from he got someone sent off against West Ham in the Europa League last season.

I think he is as good as we could possibly get, so Id be very happy with this if we can make it happen.  Sure half the league would be in for him at that price though, so not really sure what we can offer him that others can't.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 3

Like this bit ...

The French publication report that the Premier League’s bottom-placed side have made a bid to their French counterparts. Dembélé is out of contract this summer. Lyon must cash in on him today or tomorrow in order to recoup a small part of the €22m they paid Celtic for him in 2018 or see him leave on a free. The former PSG youth product is no stranger to English football, having played for Fulham between 2014 and 2016.

Dembélé is playing a peripheral role with Lyon this season. He played fourteen Ligue 1 games, most of them coming from the bench, and scored only two goals. In the last three Ligue 1 outings, he was an unused substitute. Dembélé was already close to an England return. He reportedly spoke with Frank Lampard with a transfer to Everton in his sights, but the sacking of the Toffees’ boss pulled the plug on the move.

Out of contract in the summer, so available now an offer. €3M - yes, please.

Now hope no-one comes in and gazumps us.

Edited by the saint in winchester

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

We've been after him for ages it seems, so would be logical. Not seen much of him in recent years, apart from he got someone sent off against West Ham in the Europa League last season.

I think he is as good as we could possibly get, so Id be very happy with this if we can make it happen.  Sure half the league would be in for him at that price though, so not really sure what we can offer him that others can't.

certain relegation?

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And this is an example of why this league is seemingly too expensive for us. Players like Gallagher and Broja to an extent last year, not massively proven, just a young player from a bigger club academy...now attracting bids in the £40m region, whereas we are still flapping around at 10-15m buys expecting to find 'proven quality' in that bracket. Wake up Saints, you can't. 

Tell that to Brighton , Hitoma 2.5m

i guess we can offer him a guarantee to start in every prem game until the end of the season. There are very few clubs ( well... probably - ive not checked) other than us that dont have someone else seriously looking to play up front. Maybe it will be low risk for him (some sort of release clause with relegation and if someone else eg top 6 comes in for him he can go). If hes looking to kick start his career then maybe its a decent way of doing it. We play the stepping stone card so maybe thats it. Someone like everton for example may not be as open to these sorts of arrangements.

Or could all be complete bollocks and were not even looked at him of course

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Dembele would be an outstanding signing. Possibly one of our best since promotion when relative to the situation we were in at the time.

Edouard was the best thing since sliced bread doing well in Scotland, Dembele may be the same. So I would be a bit reserved in judgement

Whoever signs, we need 18 good games from them. If they can score 8-10 goals in those games then they'll do well.

After that, it doesn't matter. If we stay up, we can buy players that fit the model. If Dembele can play well and put himself in the shop window then it works for both parties, and a fee of under £5m wouldnt break the bank.

Seems like it might work.

The cynicism on this thread is keeping me going. I suddenly feel there's a lot of us in the same boat and if we go down we go down together. We always knew they would be a glimmer of hope sometime in the last day or so and it seems Dembele is that man. Sit back now and watch it slowly unravel. My money is a gazump by Everton/Bournemouth tomorrow evening and a feature on Theo Walcott on the official website on Wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4