Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 hours ago, saintadjg said:

But what constitutes success? A decent cup run? Avoiding relegation or being in a relegation battle? 

Or we talking qualifying for Europe, maybe winning a cup whilst all the above?

I would say not being in a relegation battle would be a decent season.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Absolutely this. My take is we’ve got a better squad than Ralph’s results indicate. He’s just not getting the best from them.

That may be true at this moment but last season we had the squad our league position indicated IMO. Had we gone down, who would PL teams have come in for? JWP and KWP that's it.

• Like 3

Hasenhuttl on Sékou Mara: “He has some qualities on the ball but it’s not enough, he must work hard for the team and then we will see.”

Throwing another one under the bus I see. When is he going to admit that it’s just 2 wins in 20 matches and he keeps fucking up the formation and team.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Top 10 is would be a decent season, 8th exceptional. Cup is more of a grey area being a bit of a lottery. Semi final could be considered successful, but if you get there and play like a drain it’s pretty fucking woeful. Under Hughes and Teflon we basically flushed our chances down the toilet. 

Think top 10 is a bit unrealistic with our current squad tbh unless a lot of teams under perform. Think we're more likely to see a gradual improvement than a big jump in results but i'd just like to see us heading back in the right direction. Mid/High 40's or more for points, try to get under 16 losses and less than 60 goals conceded, reduce points lost from winning positions and when we do go on a poor run show the ability and mentality to break the streak earlier. Basically just have a solid, consistent season we can use to build upon in the future. A deep cup run or two on top of that and i'd call it a reasonable success.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Hasenhuttl on Sékou Mara: “He has some qualities on the ball but it’s not enough, he must work hard for the team and then we will see.”

Throwing another one under the bus I see. When is he going to admit that it’s just 2 wins in 20 matches and he keeps fucking up the formation and team.

You're the one who said Mara was crap the second he was linked with us so, like Hasenhuttl, you obviously don't consider him to be the complete article. It's one thing to not expect signings to hit the ground running (especially the younger ones), but what the hell are your expectations for him then?

34 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

You're the one who said Mara was crap the second he was linked with us so, like Hasenhuttl, you obviously don't consider him to be the complete article. It's one thing to not expect signings to hit the ground running (especially the younger ones), but what the hell are your expectations for him then?

Never said he was crap but he’s certainly not what we need to score goals in this league.

One for the future personally and I just hope we sell A Armstrong and buy an experienced striker to play with Adams.

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

He’s certainly not what we need to score goals in this league.

Have you made that judgement based on 45 minutes of a friendly vs last seasons Champions League semi finalists after Mara had only a couple of training sessions with his new teammates? 🤔 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Never said he was crap but he’s certainly not what we need to score goals in this league.

One for the future personally and I just hope we sell A Armstrong and buy an experienced striker to play with Adams.

Who are you hoping we buy, anyone in particular? 

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Fair enough. Not to get all MLG on you but you said something along the lines of 'no better than the crap we have here already'. I might have got it wrong, but thought you watch a fair bit of French football and might have seen him in action.

Appreciate the elaboration and agree with you for the most part (but I think - well, hope - that AA will come good with us).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Fair enough. Not to get all MLG on you but you said something along the lines of 'no better than the crap we have here already'. I might have got it wrong, but thought you watch a fair bit of French football and might have seen him in action.

Appreciate the elaboration and agree with you for the most part (but I think - well, hope - that AA will come good with us).

For me the interesting thing is;  compare Ralph’s comments re Mara after a poorish half with Pep‘s comments re Haaland after a very poor full game. I know which manager is displaying more faith in their player publicly 

4 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

For me the interesting thing is;  compare Ralph’s comments re Mara after a poorish half with Pep‘s comments re Haaland after a very poor full game. I know which manager is displaying more faith in their player publicly 

There's a difference though between supporting a player who just missed a few chances and one whose off the ball effort was simply not up to scratch

On 30/07/2022 at 18:22, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Think top 10 is a bit unrealistic with our current squad tbh unless a lot of teams under perform. Think we're more likely to see a gradual improvement than a big jump in results but i'd just like to see us heading back in the right direction. Mid/High 40's or more for points, try to get under 16 losses and less than 60 goals conceded, reduce points lost from winning positions and when we do go on a poor run show the ability and mentality to break the streak earlier. Basically just have a solid, consistent season we can use to build upon in the future. A deep cup run or two on top of that and i'd call it a reasonable success.

10th-15th would represent decent progress this season.

On 30/07/2022 at 17:50, Pilchards said:

The comments sound like they are about a player he hasn't seen before.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

The comments sound like they are about a player he hasn't seen before.

His comments sound like they are about a player who has come from a foreign league, has had only a couple of days  training since his work permit came in and has to adapt to a teams style of play, on and off the ball.  

10 minutes ago, Nolan said:

His comments sound like they are about a player who has come from a foreign league, has had only a couple of days  training since his work permit came in and has to adapt to a teams style of play, on and off the ball.  

His comments should of been privately to the player not to the public.

If he’s not adapted to our style then he shouldn’t have played. (Salisu- springs to mind) How do you think Adams and Armstrong will feel when a raw kid is thrown in the deep end instead of giving them a start.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

If he’s not adapted to our style then he shouldn’t have played. (Salisu- springs to mind) How do you think Adams and Armstrong will fill when a raw kid is thrown in the deep end instead of giving them a start.

I don't understand how anyone thinks there was anything bad about his comments.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

If he’s not adapted to our style then he shouldn’t have played. (Salisu- springs to mind) How do you think Adams and Armstrong will feel when a raw kid is thrown in the deep end instead of giving them a start.

Aye? It was a pre-season friendly, Hardly ‘thrown in at the deep end’. These games are Literally used to get players accustomed to styles of play etc. 

I very much doubt he’ll start agains Tottenham. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nolan said:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from you manager after your first appearance.

As you say, he has only just got here and needs time to adapt. Why then flag up his lack of work rate to the press?

I guess no one is going to ask why he hasn't started on Saturday now, but was there actually going to be any great pressure from press/fans for him to be thrust straight in? 

No biggie. I'm sure if you spoke with Ralph for an extended period he'd be much more positive, but a single line reply can sometimes come off a little negative, as this one does.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

On 30/07/2022 at 16:59, Lord Duckhunter said:

Top 10 is would be a decent season, 8th exceptional. Cup is more of a grey area being a bit of a lottery. Semi final could be considered successful, but if you get there and play like a drain it’s pretty fucking woeful. Under Hughes and Teflon we basically flushed our chances down the toilet. 

I think you’re setting your sights far too high. We shouldn't finish above the “big 6”, we probably aren’t going to finish above Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester. Top 10 would be an outstanding season. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nolan said:

To me it sounds like Ralph wants him to work harder.  Thinks he's lazy or needs a change of attitude.  He did similar with Obafemi. 

"...he must work hard for the team and then we will see"

55 minutes ago, Manuel said:

To me it sounds like Ralph wants him to work harder.  Thinks he's lazy or needs a change of attitude.  He did similar with Obafemi. 

"...he must work hard for the team and then we will see"

Pretty sure I saw in a scouting report on the athletic that Mara is a forward who presses well from the front so it's probably just figuring out the playing style so he can press effectively which will take some weeks.

I expect him to be on the bench for most of August to be honest.

Edited by Convict Colony

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think you’re setting your sights far too high. We shouldn't finish above the “big 6”, we probably aren’t going to finish above Newcastle, West Ham, Leicester. Top 10 would be an outstanding season. 

I think 12th would be decent & show we are heading in the right direction any less then it's not really progress with the resources available, Ralph should be able to achieve 12th or better with our current squad imo.  However I don't think he will shake off the crashing inconsistencies ie we will no doubt go on a run of five or six wins followed by 15 losses in a row 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just concentrate on The Hundred if you are a cricket fan and enjoy a few nice days out which don’t involve Premier League football. By all means watch some local football in non league.

Dont give Ralph any more encouragement. Total charlatan, today was a 7th choice ex-full back not good enough for Birmingham, a striker who can’t hold the ball up and a CB who clearly can’t stand being at SFC. Second half there was no focal point at all. 

It would take SR sacking him this weekend to cause me to take any interest in this season at all. Five years of Pellegrino, Hughes and this twat. Ralph is making a great effort to topple Branfoot (yes, I lived through that time) as the worst ever manager. Needs a Benitez figure to instil some organisation and football expertise into the squad and help the new owners.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Dyche won't get many shouts because of style, but we'd at least be tougher to beat if he came in and may well be the most realistic contender. 

To be honest I reckon he’d be an unrealistic contender. I think he could be good for us but I don’t see him as a ‘fit’ with what SR are trying to do. If Ralph goes I reckon our new manager will be a relative unknown and/or someone who doesn’t have too much of a managerial CV if at all.

Just now, The Kraken said:

To be honest I reckon he’d be an unrealistic contender. I think he could be good for us but I don’t see him as a ‘fit’ with what SR are trying to do. If Ralph goes I reckon our new manager will be a relative unknown and/or someone who doesn’t have too much of a managerial CV if at all.

It’s when not if IMO. I can’t see him staying now. Same old shit today. Same mistakes, same weird line up. Same conceding pathetic goals. No issue losing way to spurs but yet again it’s the same reasons why. So easy to score against regardless of the players. It’s piss poor. I was never quite sure if we were a good team playing badly or a bad team playing well under Ralph. The reality is in 3 years he’s had two 12 game streaks of good form, for the rest of the time we’ve been crap. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s when not if IMO. I can’t see him staying now. Same old shit today. Same mistakes, same weird line up. Same conceding pathetic goals. No issue losing way to spurs but yet again it’s the same reasons why. So easy to score against regardless of the players. It’s piss poor. I was never quite sure if we were a good team playing badly or a bad team playing well under Ralph. The reality is in 3 years he’s had two 12 game streaks of good form, for the rest of the time we’ve been crap. 

The last time we played really well was at WHL last season, and we were superb that day. Since then virtually half a season ago 3 league wins, 2 in the following 2 at home against crap oppo  and 1 more freak result where we got battered but somehow fluked a win in the middle of a procession of dross.

So back then he had the plausible excuses of a/players worn out by high press tactics relaxed and took foot off gas and b/ he was hamstrung by our finances, had to sell to buy, doing a great job given that. Those excuses are gone now, and we look a million miles off the team that won that day. I genuinely struggle to understand how we could go from being so good to being so utterly shit, but he has to carry the can for it, and I simply do not see him turning it around.

37 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Just concentrate on The Hundred if you are a cricket fan and enjoy a few nice days out which don’t involve Premier League football. By all means watch some local football in non league.

I like cricket, but seriously fuck the hundred. It's just a horrible competition hyped up by Sky when we already have a perfectly good short form version of the game.

I'm all for watching non-legue football though.

• Like 4

Needs to be gone tonight.

Clueless tactically, stubborn, terrible man management, talks dogshit after a defeat, utter waistcoated cunt. Fuck off you useless twat!

Should have been binned off by now. He's killing us with is sabotage of the club.

His treatment of Adams alone is abhorrent.

Go, now!

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Dyche won't get many shouts because of style, but we'd at least be tougher to beat if he came in and may well be the most realistic contender. 

His style being to get sacked 15 points behind Ralph, with a team of players arguably better than what we’ve currently got, half of which (Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, McNeil, Cornet) people on here were suggesting we sign when they sent down.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Can anyone make a reasoned, sensible case supporting how Ralph will change things selection-wise and tactically to turn his shambles into something remotely resembling a team worthy of performing in the Premier league?

I'm sure someone will have a good go but let's face it, they'd be talking shite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He blames the defence today, the defence he picked, the two useless players (Djenepo and Valery) in key positions. 

The man is on borrowed time 

Edited by Appy
  • Like 1

Absolutely nothing has changed since last season. We could sign Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona And Ralph would suck the absolute life out of them. Yes we all know that we don’t have the best players in the world but I’m convinced they are a lot worse due to Ralph.

We just look shot of confidence all over the park. Each players First instinct when they get the ball is the turn backwards or pass sideways, it’s like it’s drilled into them to try and keep the ball at all costs. We go nowhere, look toothless and it’s frustrating to watch. I think at least two of the goals today were conceded because we were trying to be too clever with the ball instead of just passing it forward and trying to create a chance, it’s horrible to watch. 

No way Ralph should have been given pre season and I hope SR pull the plug on him sooner rather than later and by sooner I mean tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintbenny said:

Absolutely nothing has changed since last season. We could sign Ronaldo, Pele and Maradona And Ralph would suck the absolute life out of them. Yes we all know that we don’t have the best players in the world but I’m convinced they are a lot worse due to Ralph.

We just look shot of confidence all over the park. Each players First instinct when they get the ball is the turn backwards or pass sideways, it’s like it’s drilled into them to try and keep the ball at all costs. We go nowhere, look toothless and it’s frustrating to watch. I think at least two of the goals today were conceded because we were trying to be too clever with the ball instead of just passing it forward and trying to create a chance, it’s horrible to watch. 

No way Ralph should have been given pre season and I hope SR pull the plug on him sooner rather than later and by sooner I mean tonight. 

They can't be too cautious and trying to be too clever at the same time.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl