• Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Che Adams
    • Danny Ings
    • Shane Long

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/07/20 at 19:00

I actually enjoyed watching us work as a team today,  wasn't to fussed about the score.  They say football's all about goals,  but when you watch a well drilled team work and defend like that, really enjoyed it.  Great goal for Che to win it, but the commitment and work rate from everybody else was phenomenal. 

• Like 1

First half was tremendous, attacked them and gave them lots of problems.  Second half obviously set up to just defend it and the back four were imperious.

Really happy Che got his goal too, I think he’ll come good but he looked absolutely shattered.

KWP excellent, in fact all of them did themselves proud. 

Oh. My. F*cking. Days. 

KWP man of the match for me. But that could fall for Stephens, Ingsy, McCarthy, Jan......

Not known us defend like that since Elland Road in 2011, and not known organisation in our team like that for an eternity. Ché showed his intelligence and class with that goal, clearly set up by Ralph understanding how Citeh operate, just so shrewd. So unlike us! 

An absolute treat, in front of the nation. We are Southampton.......... We've finally won at home.

• Like 1

Proud of them all. Delighted for Adams, pity the sound didn’t work on his interview. Goal reminded me of Long’s v Villa under Koeman. Keeper and back 4 all superb and commitment all round great. City threw the kitchen sink even with nothing to play for. BBC1 as well. 

Wow! Just Wow. What a defensive performance and what a great game we gave City. The Beeb gave Stephens MOTM, but it was a difficult choice between many of the team and there really wasn't any player who was sub-par in terms of their  effort and commitment. At half time, the pundits were saying that they couldn't think of another team who had dispossessed City as often as us this season. The high press was very effective, meaning that when we robbed them of the ball high up the pitch, we did possess a real goal threat with Ings especially in the form he is in. But Adams having fired blanks all season, scored a worldy from distance, which any striker in the league would have been proud of. 

We had our backs against the wall for much of the match thereafter, but a rock solid defence and some wonderful saves from McCarthy gave us the three points, with a clean sheet against one of the best goal-scoring teams in the World. OK, they might argue that they had a couple of key players missing, but the manager had them available, but rested them tactically thinking that the team he fielded should be plenty good enough to beat us, especially as being safe, we could have felt that there was nothing more to play for. But credit Ralph, he had them all very much up for this match.

I am really proud of this team, and they have provided a springboard to some optimism as to how they could fare next season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Proud of them all. Delighted for Adams, pity the sound didn’t work on his interview. Goal reminded me of Long’s v Villa under Koeman. Keeper and back 4 all superb and commitment all round great. City threw the kitchen sink even with nothing to play for. BBC1 as well. 

They’ll get the sound sorted for MOTD2

9 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Slightly surprised we didn't freshen the midfield up with Djenepo at some point.

I'm actually with Ralph on this one. We had a bit of a blitz spirit going on within the team today and too many subs risked breaking the bond that was out there. 

• Like 3

Just now, trousers said:

I'm actually with Ralph on this one. We had a bit of a blitz spirit going on within the team today and too many subs risked breaking the bond that was out there. 

Think Ralph didn’t  want to break the cohesion,  making changes for changes sake might have broken the spell, also shows the level of fitness both teams had, us to defend them to attack. It might be red and white striped glasses I viewed that through,  but that has to be the most intense game so far of the restart.

I am bloody knackered. 😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Pep is such a cunt. No credit to Saints at all.

”they had the goal with the mistake and one chance at the end”. 

Well, he is kinda correct.

That resembled an attack v defence training match but we held strong, couldn't be more proud.

Just now, cloggy saint said:

Well, he is kinda correct.

That resembled an attack v defence training match but we held strong, couldn't be more proud.

Four shots on target to their 6. 

Yes they had 75% of the ball but you’d think he’d praise our work rate. He was quick to big up his team when they scored the winner in the dying seconds 2 years ago to get to 100 points.

I do hope we keep KWP!! A great performance from him, but among so many great performances: McCarthy, Stephens and Bednarek all immense, Ings giving a masterclass on how to defend from the front, Romeu rock solid at the base of midfield, Armstrong full of lung-busting runs, a fantastic goal and work-rate from Che Adams -- and a true captain's performance from JWP who never stopped running and working, tackling, intercepting, making himself available, holding the ball, finding the right pass. I was so sure de Bruyne was going to spoil it with almost the last kick, but we held on: magnificent day to be a Saint!

• Like 1

Magnificently committed defending, a stunning goal out of nothing from Adams and amazing work rate by all.

Special mentions to McCarthy after his SMS muck up last time out, Stephens & Bednarek who hurled themselves at everything, Adams for even trying that after not being able to score all season and KWP who is surely worth signing up permanently on this form. Very happy and now reaching for a celebratory beer!

On the build-up thread I nearly commented that it was more like a Man City appreciation thread. 

I'd like to mention to all those who used the thread to say how brilliant City are and we should be honoured to be in the same pitch as them that I did ask why we couldn't beat them and, for the record, I was right.

Well done Saints. Just brilliant.

Well, I wasn't right with the 6-3 but I was right about a memorable win! As others have said, very akin to the win at Elland Road but, to my mind, a much better team performance. Really can't pick a MoM, the entire team team were magnificent. Stephens and Bednarek forming a great partnership; Ings and Armstrong outstanding all over the pitch; JWP captain marvel; KWP putting himself right in the shop window; McCarthy more than made amends for Arsenal. What a goal by Che! What a win! What a birthday present for me!

Thanks Ralph and all those on the pitch in red, white and pink!

Good to get the win but too many ball recyclers in midfield and too much messing about with the ball at the back. Should have started Long and looked to hit the channels more often to turn their back four around.

JWP powderpuff as usual.

Spoke to Ron and HT and we both agreed that Danso should have come on for Adams. Haven't spoken to Nigel yet, will give him a bell now.

Edited by Dusic
Sorry Mods, meant to post under my derry login. Please can you change it.
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Hatch said:

Can someone who has more than ten minutes spare work out the post Covid break league table ?! 

We're 5th in that. Man United have 10 points from their 4 games, then there's 5 of us on 9 points - City (5 games played), Chelsea, Arsenal (also 5) and Wolves. We're below Chelsea and Arsenal on goals scored, and above Wolves on goal difference :toppa:

The only PL teams still without a post-lockdown win are the bottom 4, who have amassed a frankly pathetic 3 points between them in 17 games :uhoh::lol:

• Like 1

I can't add anything to what has already been said other than I think KWP deserves a special mention. He was as tight as a ducks arse to Sterling...and it is not often he is taken off. I thought all of the back 5 played well but KWP was just great. If he can play like that more often than not there is no place for Valery and let's cash in on Hojberg and get this lad in. As for Che, I have a horrible feeling that could be his first and last goal for Saints.

Superb. Best home performance for a very long time. Obvious credit to the back four and McCarthy, but for me, a special mention for Armstrong. He has been great since the break and must be one of those whose name is first on the team sheet now. The whole midfield looks very balanced and we are certainly not missing PEH, in fact, I reckon our performances without him have shown an improvement

Shhhh......Don't tell Spurs though.

Well done to all the lads.

• Like 1

Wow. So satisfying to see the whole team so committed, looked like their lives depended on keeping City out. Rode our luck at times, but thoroughly deserved it. Obviously pleased for Che and great to see how happy everyone was that he scored. Hopefully the confidence boost he needs. MOTM for me was Stephens though, read his Guardian article this morning and had a feeling he’d play a blinder. Showing his true potential now, let’s hope he keeps it up, just needs consistency and hopefully he’ll get more support when us fans return. (Though we seem to do much better when I’m not there so may stay away!). 

I just want people to remember this when we put in our next bad performance and start complaining that these are a bunch of money grabbers who dont care. Sometimes we play badly.But it is not because this lot of lads don't care or they aren't trying. Sometimes it just happens, especially as it is not the most talented team we have ever had.

This is a team with nothing to play, who could easily be mentally on the beach. Yet what I saw was each and every one of them putting their bodies on their line to stop one of the best teams in the world. They do care. And they do try. Are they the most talented? No. But they truly do give a shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sydney_saint said:

I just want people to remember this when we put in our next bad performance and start complaining that these are a bunch of money grabbers who dont care. Sometimes we play badly.But it is not because this lot of lads don't care or they aren't trying. Sometimes it just happens, especially as it is not the most talented team we have ever had.

This is a team with nothing to play, who could easily be mentally on the beach. Yet what I saw was each and every one of them putting their bodies on their line to stop one of the best teams in the world. They do care. And they do try. Are they the most talented? No. But they truly do give a shit. 

I'm not having that. We've been completely and utterly awful at home for about two seasons. Absolutely fantastic that we seem to have turned a corner but they've given no indication that they were going to play like that at home before tonight. 

Before the restart I picked up that Saints had used a very rigorous monitoring system of players' home training and had prepared very thoroughly for the restart.

Of the games I've seen, I'd say Saints are the fittest team on return. We're pressing hard, have high tempo and are running hard right to the end of games and aren't using the full squad of subs.

Needs to be a lot of credit for this preparation.

• Like 3