If you could add 2 former Saints player.....

Roo1976

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Van Dijk and Shearer. Best defender and best centre forward I've seen in a saints shirt. 

Never saw Shearer play for Saints but that would have been my shout too. Unfortunately my cardiologist insists that I put Niemi in behind Virgil, after the last few seasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Le Tiss and Virgil. Le Tiss because he was just the best player I have ever seen in a Saints shirt. Van Dyk because he is the complete centre half.

Matt under Hasenhuttl would be interesting...

Watching the high press fall apart time and again because one guy is half-assing around having a breather probably isn't sustainable and ends up with a Brantfoot style falling out.

I'd take Virgil and Shearer all day.

Niemi or Shilton.  Would gladly have either back

We need an organiser, so either Ball or Paine for me.

As an alternative I would love to see the Ale House gang play today, if only to see how long they would stay on the pitch for.  So maybe John McGrath and Brian O'Neill

As someone who never really saw Shilton play club football it's odd how highly rated he seems to be because I've only really seen him on highlights from '86 World Cup, and from watching Italia 90, but my prevailing view was that he was embarrassingly bad in both. I guess he was past it by '86 and for some reason was still getting picked by England in 1990?

Getting out jumped by a 5 foot 2 midget in '86, barely getting near any penalties and falling on his arse against the Germans. Rank.

He must have gone downhill quickly after his first couple of seasons at Saints?

58 minutes ago, benjii said:

As someone who never really saw Shilton play club football it's odd how highly rated he seems to be because I've only really seen him on highlights from '86 World Cup, and from watching Italia 90, but my prevailing view was that he was embarrassingly bad in both. I guess he was past it by '86 and for some reason was still getting picked by England in 1990?

Getting out jumped by a 5 foot 2 midget in '86, barely getting near any penalties and falling on his arse against the Germans. Rank.

He must have gone downhill quickly after his first couple of seasons at Saints?

Your opening words sum up why you don't rate Shilton.

• Like 2

Niemi and ~Channon I think. Benji has a point about Shilton. He was great when he first signed but as he got older he could not get to anything in the corners. I remember Motson commentating on one of our games saying "You don't often se Shilton beaten from that distance "  to which I replied, " You do if you've got a season ticket !"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Niemi and ~Channon I think. Benji has a point about Shilton. He was great when he first signed but as he got older he could not get to anything in the corners. I remember Motson commentating on one of our games saying "You don't often se Shilton beaten from that distance "  to which I replied, " You do if you've got a season ticket !"

Yeah, I used to sit near a very well to do gentleman shall we say who never used to say much but every time Shilton didnt come out for a corner or missed something easy he would go "tut, tut, England goalkeeper should get that"

He was still capable of some great performances for Saints but his main contribution was shouting "Away, Away" at the defenders!!

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, I used to sit near a very well to do gentleman shall we say who never used to say much but every time Shilton didnt come out for a corner or missed something easy he would go "tut, tut, England goalkeeper should get that"

He was still capable of some great performances for Saints but his main contribution was shouting "Away, Away" at the defenders!!

At his worst he was light years ahead of lurch.

2 hours ago, redkeith said:

Bit like our 2 keepers atm, cant seem to stop a shot from whatever distance ,just flap and parry the ball nowadays, it seems to be the way.

Shearer and Le Tissier for me.

Shearer I just missed out on seeing live for Saints, I wasn't taken to games very often back then, every time I went he wasn't playing for one reason or another.

Le Tissier... most attackers move to get into dangerous areas. The most dangerous area when Le Tiss played was wherever he chose to stand.

15 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

Bit like our 2 keepers atm, cant seem to stop a shot from whatever distance ,just flap and parry the ball nowadays, it seems to be the way.

Forsters save against Levante, where he fell on the floor after flapping away a ball he could and should have really caught was quite funny.

Interesting question, lots to choose from but they need to fit the current system, plus fill glaring gaps. 

On that basis Shearer would be a hell of a 'time' transfer.

Desperately want Shilton, but a CB is vital. Mark Wright edges it for me.

Major guilt over not choosing Steve Williams, what an asset he would be now.

If Ralph was answering this question then I suspect he'd like Keegan, Ball, Morgan, Channon, and Wallace(s)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dellman said:

STeve Williams to set them up and Steve Moran to finish them off, though Phil Boyer or Ted MacDougal or George O'Brien would do it, or Channon or Chivers or Shearer. Wow, we've had some great strikers

Not forgetting Ron Davies

Peter Osgood was really good in the 60s at Chelsea one of my favorite players he was never the same after he broke his leg

For younger posters he  joined Saints in 1974 when we doing pretty well but the team did not win for dozen or so games after he arrived and we got relegated although we did win the last game at Everton without Terry Paine who never played for the club again

We were the first team to finish third from bottom to be relegated from Div 1

7 minutes ago, macca155 said:

If Ralph was answering this question then I suspect he'd like Keegan, Ball, Morgan, Channon, and Wallace(s)

Alas, even Ray would help our squad at the moment. And he was shit. 

• Like 2

Slightly off tangent but was reminiscing over older prolific strikers and getting misty eyed over Rickie Lambert. Not over the goals etc but the circumstances. When we were not premier league it was harder to follow the games as they were not on telly all the time etc but what ever you were doing that Saturday or Wednesday you would try to tune in to the radio or look up the in play score on internet and invariably up would pop the name of Lambert with such regular consistency. It was a nice throwback to the glorious not knowing everything instantly. Rose tinted or not I miss the non league days.