Brighton 1-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Poor game but you know what they say about winning when you're not playing well...

We'd have been fuming with that VAR decision. Brighton hard done by IMO.

Vestergaard easily MotM. Very VvD-esque IMO. When does his contract expire...?

Sheff Utd next. Onwards and upwards 

Win ugly. Sign of a good team. 

Did we deserve it? No we were laboured and sloppy. But our bench was superior to theirs and I felt Ralph made the right subs tonight.

Sometimes 3 points taste sweeter when you don't think you should have had them. 

Not the prettiest but 3 points. Quite likely that KWP move would have led to a goal without the pen if March hadn't cynically taken him out so glad we go the penalty.  Brighton have always been a bit keen on clogging.  Only surprise it wasn't Dunk who gave it away.

We did not deserve that at all! First half in particular one to forget, 2nd half...if anything, we kept the ball a little better and were less sloppy when we did have it. Moved it a bit quicker, and sprayed it down the flanks (how you get in behind teams with 3 CB's). We were a lot more gritty as well.

For me, VAR doesn't keen need to get involved in those sorts of calls. It wasn't clear an obvious, it was impossible to say if it was inside our outside the box...just let the ref judge it on the field of play. Obviously we got a pen from it, but from my pure honest assessment this is where VAR is going wrong.

On-wards to Saturday, let's hope we get a better performance for the entire game.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

....our bench was superior to theirs

When was the last time you could say that ?

Anyway, if the pen had not been given and it had remained an FK it would have led to the same result; JWP chips it in, Vest knock down for Danny to tap in.

• Like 1

Great result. 3 points against a decent side when playing pretty poorly, especially the first half. Personally think that decision was utter rubbish. Those writing the rules really do need to revise what is a penalty, given a penalty is very likely to end up as a goal. Let's be honest, there wasn't 'that' much danger when KWP was brought down. We essentially got a goal from a 50/50 call from a chance that was probably only likely to be 20% of scoring. BUT. There have been so many soft soft penalties in the league this season, and today the gun was pointing at Brighton. Next time it will probably be pointing at us. And you know what, I don't really care this game because that seems to be rules this season. But I would like to see them revise it, as why spend time crafting goals with intricate play, when you get a soft penalty and the result is the same. 

Agree with other people, JWP would have scored anyway. One little annoyance, and it is little. A few minutes later ref gave us advantage when we had a freekick in prime JWP territory. Advantage for us is to give us the bloody freekick,

Edited by sydney_saint

It's really exciting when a player who's seen mixed performances starts to turn into a superstar.  Thought Vestergaard was so strong today. That header. Wow. That's going to put a shudder through a lot of defenses.  It wasn't that long ago that default opinion on here was 'tall good-hearted guy, but clumsy, can't jump."  Today he showed not just a sensational goal, but some great passing and pretty much rock solid at the back.  Him, Romeu, JWP and Adams (and maybe McCarthy and Walker-Peters too) have really been the story of the season.  Our own loyal boys just getting better, step by step.

Edited by NewYorkSaint
adding left out word
  • Like 1

Analysing it to death on Sky. Did he foul KWP? Yes. Was it inside the box? Maybe, KWP's check seemed to be at least on the line (and a chest would be enough to be offside in other circumstances). Were Saints likely to score if the foul hadn't been committed? Yes, I think so.